21 years ago yesterday

Turkish

Was the famous Man United shirt swapping game. Who else was there? I was, it was a great 6-3 win

It is that famous you got it wrong. it was the 95-96 season when we won 3-1 that the grey shirts were swapped over at halftime. The 6-3 was 96-97.

So were you really there or just getting old and confused?

It is that famous you got it wrong. it was the 95-96 season when we won 3-1 that the grey shirts were swapped over at halftime. The 6-3 was 96-97.

Ah should have read the previous threads to see that you were trying to be clever.

You are right. The 6-3 game was in October 1996 I believe. I remember it well. Souness our manager.

Still can't believe they disallowed Keegan's overhead kick, would have made it 7.

Eeeh ! Great times the old stadium was packed with 90,000 rattle waving Saints fans. Of course everyone played in shades of black and white in them days, colour wasn't invented. And if there were any trouble, like someone throwing their flask of Bovril, a clip round the ear by a constable sorted it out. Oh yes, I think it was snowing that day, at least on the pitch, a few broken legs but the magic spongue got the players going again.

Bizarrely I was (continuing) to sort out all or stuff at home prior to selling our house and came across the Pink for this very match! I was there with my two eldest kids who were 14 and 15 at the time and we often reminisce about this game and the 6-3 of course!

Echo 13th April 1996.jpg

Troutman - was a ww2 German paratrooper that settled here after the war.

Yes, Bert "the trout" Trautmann. He was immortalised by Viz comic as Billy "the fish" Thompson. Oddly, a lot of people think his "trout" nickname arose because of his being the first openly gay footballer and always "rising to the flies", but it was actually because his surname sounds a bit like "trout man" if you say it in a heavy western bavarian accent.

I was on a bus from Wexford to Dublin on the day of the shirt-swapping game, trying to contain myself as reports kept being read out of more goals going in. The shirt-swapping prompted a lot of discussion on the bus which had a load of United fans on it. Happy days.......

I was there, apparently a record crowd at the Dell 31 and a bit K, but anybody who was at Mick Channon's testimonial will tell u that is fake news.

Gosh, how could I have forgotten about Channon's Testimonial, coming only 2 days after our 6-3 win, changing of shirts and Keegans overhead strike being disallowed. What a weekend.

Gosh, how could I have forgotten about Channon's Testimonial, coming only 2 days after our 6-3 win, changing of shirts and Keegans overhead strike being disallowed. What a weekend.

Not often a team containing Best, Charlton & Law are stuffed like that.

Didn't Best get a hat trick?

No, his third was disallowed. He was quoted years later as blaming that decision for his drinking problems.

This was the same game when his blonde photographer girlfriend was spotted walking naked around the pitch carrying a camera.