Easter Weekend - Other Games

Batman

I don't see why we can't have other rivals apart from P*mpey. They have Plymouth as their secondary rivals and after our promotion season, there's clearly a thing with Brighton that we have. There was bad blood before that. Remember Poyet's first game in charge of them? They brought out a DVD of ffs.

I know there's a lot of debate on here about whether Bournemouth counts but surely Brighton does! It's not like we're their main rivals either. They have Palace. It'd be nice to have Brighton, Bournemouth and the Skates in the PL with us, that'd be an incredible season!

We have our rival it's Portsmouth - I rarely think about them these days. Notice a handful are still obsessed but they are irrelevant just now.

They've been temporarily replaced by teams we are bitter towards (for taking our players and or managers) namely Spurs, Liverpool and Everton.

Fitzhugh will back this up - as it was in one of the Hagiology books about it.

Plymouth were our big rivals in the early days of our existence, some loons waited at South Western House station for the team to arrive back in Southampton to give them a hearty welcome after a big win at Plymouth. It was something like midnight - one o'clock: which in those days was generally pretty late for folks to be up.

I find our rivalry with Brighton a lot more intense than our rivalry with Bournemouth.

I live in Plymouth so delighted to see them promoted. Didn't realise they had been down there since we relegated them.

I like how P*mpey call us tinpot for winning the JPT from League One but finishing 3rd in League Two (probably) is the best thing ever...

My best mate is Southampton as are the wrong side of my family. The right side are all Albion. We had a thread on NSC asking whether we have a rivalry with you. The answer is...sort of. It goes back to 1978 when you stitched us up with Spurs, but also 1982 when we stopped you going top by beating you at the Dingly, 1986 when you beat us in the 6th round of the cup, and obviously league one fairly recently.

Clearly, there are regional bragging rights to be won, but we've always considered ourselves broadly similar to you whereas you've always considered yourselves a cut above (which to be fair, you have been as far as results go). But now it really is game on, two clubs in the same region, similar support, catchment area, stadium and training facilities. I'm not surprised you don't feel it with Bournemouth - they play in a shoebox and no-one cares about them. (Noddy outfit, but we don't much like each other).

But in reality, whilst we'll want to beat you, our secondary rivals are probably with Portsmouth more than yourselves. That could all change, what with them being all tin pot these days. Nothing compares to Palace for us though, much as Portsmouth are incomparable for yourselves.

My best mate is Southampton as are the wrong side of my family. The right side are all Albion. We had a thread on NSC asking whether we have a rivalry with you. The answer is...sort of. It goes back to 1978 when you stitched us up with Spurs, but also 1982 when we stopped you going top by beating you at the Dingly, 1986 when you beat us in the 6th round of the cup, and obviously league one fairly recently.

Clearly, there are regional bragging rights to be won, but we've always considered ourselves broadly similar to you whereas you've always considered yourselves a cut above (which to be fair, you have been as far as results go). But now it really is game on, two clubs in the same region, similar support, catchment area, stadium and training facilities. I'm not surprised you don't feel it with Bournemouth - they play in a shoebox and no-one cares about them. (Noddy outfit, but we don't much like each other).

But in reality, whilst we'll want to beat you, our secondary rivals are probably with Portsmouth more than yourselves. That could all change, what with them being all tin pot these days. Nothing compares to Palace for us though, much as Portsmouth are incomparable for yourselves.

:lol:

what is so funny?

The glorious return of Simster who wanted us to "sink like a stone" perhaps. Also most of what he has written is carp particularly where he claims that we have a rivalry, pretty sure he is not the judge of this.

Edited by farawaysaint

The glorious return of Simster who wanted us to "sink like a stone" perhaps. Also most of what he has written is carp particularly where he claims that we have a rivalry, pretty sure he is not the judge of this.

I don't remember wanting you to "sink like a stone" and I didn't say we have a rivalry. I said "sort of", by which I mean we'll be looking out for the Southampton fixture more keenly than say West Brom or Stoke because we're in the same region. But hey, you don't feel it, that's fine - plenty of our fans feel the same. Personally I just don't see the point of fans insisting they only have ONE match with any extra bite, which seems to be all the rage on internet message boards.

quite weird how on here, some spend time telling everyone else that no other team in the area are not our rivals...

why can't bournemouth and Brighton be some sort of local rival.....they both will want to beat us as we are the biggest team in the area. Why can't we want to beat them more than WBA? what is so wrong with that? Does that mean they replace pompey? of course it bloody doesnt

I think it is good that both the Cherries and the Seagulls are in the league.

Edited by Batman

quite weird how on here, some spend time telling everyone else that no other team in the area are not our rivals...

why can't bournemouth and Brighton be some sort of local rival.....they both will want to beat us as we are the biggest team in the area. Why can't we want to beat them more than WBA? what is so wrong with that? Does that mean they replace pompey? of course it bloody doesnt

I think it is good that both the Cherries and the Seagulls are in the league.

Well clearly it's preposterous to think that we should like/dislike all other teams in the league equally. I'd certainly revel in two wins over Spurs each year more than two wins over... well, anyone actually.

I've always wanted the teams in the region (with one obvious exception) to do well, though the needle with Brighton during League One means I've struggled to root for them in the same way since. I think when we play the likes of Brighton & Bournemouth it's a case of wanting to beat them to keep them quiet rather than because we desperately want to lord it over them. A typical big brother-little brother dynamic.

If Bournemouth stay up, then...

C9oOpZXXYAE3ZDo.jpg

why do you always include plymouth in your listing of saints south coast rivals?

:mcinnes: :mcinnes: :mcinnes:

Why are you making up what I said in the original post?

Nowhere in my original post does it use use the word "rivals". All I did is put on the map all football teams in the top 4 leagues that are located on the south coast of England. Are you denying Plymouth is on the South Coast? Portsmouth and Plymouth have a "south coast dockland derby", so I'm unsure why on earth you take issue with this.

Nowhere in my original post does it use use the word "rivals". All I did is put on the map all football teams in the top 4 leagues that are located on the south coast of England. Are you denying Plymouth is on the South Coast? Portsmouth and Plymouth have a "south coast dockland derby", so I'm unsure why on earth you take issue with this.

Was Plymouth a rival on FM?

Except you missed Exeter.

Southampton to Plymouth is 155 miles

Arsenal to Cardiff is 155 miles

'Plucky losers', or to put it another way, just not good enough. Hopefully the media love-in will end now and they can go back to ****ing off over spurs and West Ham.

Vardy is a repugnant arse gnome.

But yeah, well played. Athletico played better though.