Saints V Man City Match Thread & Reaction

Heisenberg

What happened with Long?

He got kicked when a defender made a clearance, went down hurt, got up after a while, made a signal to the bench and then got subbed. I think there was some confusion about how injured he was and he wanted to stay on.

There was certainly a strong smell of plastic in the Northam air today, applauding and filming city celebrations and taking selfies all game, not to mention the queues getting into the ground because people didn't know how to use the barcode readers.

Whilst I'm having a moan as I'm ****ed off about the score, they went the complete opposite way with the PA system today, could barely hear Justin or the crap music we play.

If you think that was bad, 1 of the city bench came up block 7 and handed a shirt (Aguaro's I think) to a city fun sat in front of me who then proceeded to almost hold it up whilst looking for his mate just down from him.

Very impressed with Stephens and Yoshi today. Bertrand also very good. radical very wasteful, Boufal very poor indeed, and Fraser's kicking extremely wayward at times. Missed Oriel badly. Agreed that Puel just doesn't go for it and take the bull by the horns. And subbing on Jay rod is just a waste of time at any time. Oh well. Played okay at times, but were too cagey. And the £150m or so difference in terms of squad assembly paid at the end. yaya is a beast, with amazing feet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same mistake with the subs as the Bournemouth game. Brings on Boufal for JWP, gives up the midfield in doing so and get over run. Got away with it against the Cherry Pips but you don't against a decent side like City.

Make a mistake once and it's not the end of world, just don't make the same mistake twice.

Very impressed with Stephens and Yoshi today. Bertrand also very good. radical very wasteful, Boufal very poor indeed, and Fraser's kicking extremely wayward at times. Missed Oriel badly. Agreed that Puel just doesn't go for it and take the bull by the horns. And subbing on Jay rod is just a waste of time at any time. Oh well. Played okay at times, but were too cagey. And the £150m or so difference in terms of squad assembly paid at the end. yaya is a beast, with amazing feet.

V

e

r

y

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very poor today. As you say, Puel seems to think playing for a nil nil by keeping possession for 90 mins is the way to play these. No desire to create chances for Gabbi to put away. Even so, when you are a goal down, taking off your main goal threat is daft. Boufal is too like Tadic, Davis too like JWP. Yes, we missed Romeu and obviously VVD to galvanise us. It was men against boys today.

Gameplan from us was obvious and probably the sensible one: do what we did to Liverpool a bunch of times this season.

But with Romeu and VVD missing it was going to be tough: but what would be an alternative?

Lack of pacy options on the break didn't help: if we had an alternative to JWP out wide to compliment Redmond (or even if Long had started instead of Barry) we might have seen a different outcome.

No disgrace losing to such a highly expensive Man City team though. Particularly with our absentees.

Very poor today. As you say, Puel seems to think playing for a nil nil by keeping possession for 90 mins is the way to play these. No desire to create chances for Gabbi to put away. Even so, when you are a goal down, taking off your main goal threat is daft. Boufal is too like Tadic, Davis too like JWP. Yes, we missed Romeu and obviously VVD to galvanise us. It was men against boys today.

Not if he's just come back from injury and not wanting to risk him for the full 90 minutes.

Puel has got to sort out how he mentally prepares the players - no belief, confidence or determination. In previous seasons we have always given the 'top 6' a good game, especially at SMS, but with Puel we look scared. The fact we no longer compete on the pitch with the big boys is evidence, if we needed it, that this squad is the weakest we've had since our return to the premier league.

The performance today was as nervy as some of the dross served up at the start of the season.

As many have said there's no disgrace in losing to City, but the manner in which we did is frustrating and disappointing and I can't help but think another manager would get more out of the squad.

Looked to me like poor marking in the box for their 2 headed goals. Gabbiadini was marking Kompany (why Gabbiadini?) for the first goal and Aguero is too short to be winning those headers against our centre halves. Have a hunch VVD would have been more dominant, but maybe not? Who knows. Puel said the players were too nervous. We've seen that before. Too much respect. Somebody should have scored for Saints (Tadic anybody?) and that might have got the confidence up.

true, just shows we need another top quality DM in the summer to compliment him

I'm sure he already gets plenty of compliments from his current team mates, and certainly from the fans. ;)

Agreed we do need another top quality DM. Reed gambled and got lucky that Romeu didn't get a serious injury this season. He also gambled on the attacking and CB positions, which didn't pay off of course.

Looked to me like poor marking in the box for their 2 headed goals. Gabbiadini was marking Kompany (why Gabbiadini?) for the first goal and Aguero is too short to be winning those headers against our centre halves. Have a hunch VVD would have been more dominant, but maybe not? Who knows. Puel said the players were too nervous. We've seen that before. Too much respect. Somebody should have scored for Saints (Tadic anybody?) and that might have got the confidence up.

Yoshida was marking Kompany for the first. That said, Kompany was climbing all over Yoshida.

I thought we gave City far too much respect, that said the ref didn't help matters much by booking PEH, Cedric, Davo (ffs what for: being captain and arguing the case of the team) so not only are we faced with players who on paper could make anyone look stupid, but we have a ref who made sure we were nervy on any contact.

The non foul on Aguero by Stephens that ultimately resulted in their first, boot on the other foot no foul.

Fair play to Claude for holding his hands up on Solent post match, and fair play to Fraser after one of his shocking clearances for not only apologising to his team mates but apologising to the Chapel too

once again another weak performance against a top 6 side this season and I have no idea what puel is up to in terms of tactics. His negative tactics against decent teams in the League have achieved very little and again it showed again. I personally hope puel isn't there next season as this seasons been pretty dire to watch. If any saints fan can actually say they've enjoyed this brand of football they must be delusional. I think that there's some unrest in that dressing room too.

I know there is a gulf between city and us but we didn't even try and get close to them today and once again the substitutions we made just didn't work. I can take losing but we didn't turn up at all today.

Simo, that is what I have been saying. We (and Puel) simply don't know how good (or bad) he is in a high pressure environment.

I 100% agree with your post #277 - and a new partnership I'd like Puel to try out is Maya and Caceres!

The guy played 51 games for Juventus up to 2016, and had he not been injured then not in our wildest dreams would we have seen him at St Mary's. There is no room for sentiment in this league and although I love it when an academy player comes through (yes I know Stephens isn't truly 'home grown') I believe we need to find out whether Caceres can still do it or not.

There's no room for sentimentality but why don't we play this guy because he used to play for Juventus in the old days.

Find it frustrating that people are blaming the manager for this. We showed today that we were a threat when going forwards on the break, but Man City were the better side, especially midfield and there's no shame in losing to that. Playing 2 at CDM is great, but Tadic isn't the strongest player in the world and will therefore be bossed around by Yaya Toure and Fernandinho so there wasn't much of a link between defense and attack. Overrun in midfield, which led to them being able to use their flair players to their advantage while we couldn't really do much. Puel couldn't have done much to help that apart from using a different formation. So we could only really set up in the way we did against Liverpool (and even Man City away before Dec) and if we got one of our chances in the back of the net it's a different game.

once again another weak performance against a top 6 side this season and I have no idea what puel is up to in terms of tactics. His negative tactics against decent teams in the League have achieved very little and again it showed again. I personally hope puel isn't there next season as this seasons been pretty dire to watch. If any saints fan can actually say they've enjoyed this brand of football they must be delusional. I think that there's some unrest in that dressing room too.

I know there is a gulf between city and us but we didn't even try and get close to them today and once again the substitutions we made just didn't work. I can take losing but we didn't turn up at all today.

Oh dear, oh dear. Not sure I've got the energy to reply (I'm still on my way home) but here goes.

Firstly, we could only play as well as they let us play, and they denied us space and intercept ed well.

The tactics were sound, and as likely to get a result as any others. Certainly going gung-ho and giving them space would have been disastrous. It was, in fact, when we had to try that after they scored.

The first half, we kept good shape, frustrated them and made a few chances, one of which needed to go in, but didn't.

Another day, we could have got a result. The ref certainly didn't help. But give Puel credit. He's a decent manager.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1/10

Beaten by a better side. Disciplined performance by City. Lost in midfield. Look at the spine of their team compared to ours, goalkeepers excepted. As others have said, disappointing we didn't take it to them more but they were tough opponents. Not three goals better but deserved the win.

Yes, seen it again now. Gabbiadini nearly got to the ball but missed it. As you say, Kompany vaulted over Yoshida's shoulders to gain extra height and push him down.

For some reason Gabbiadini wasn't marking anyone for any of City's corners. He was just kind of zonally marking an area of the 6 yard box, which seemed very strange, particularly when he was nearer to the front post and therefore easy to clear with a decent delivery.

Gameplan from us was obvious and probably the sensible one: do what we did to Liverpool a bunch of times this season.

But with Romeu and VVD missing it was going to be tough: but what would be an alternative?

Lack of pacy options on the break didn't help: if we had an alternative to JWP out wide to compliment Redmond (or even if Long had started instead of Barry) we might have seen a different outcome.

No disgrace losing to such a highly expensive Man City team though. Particularly with our absentees.

the two games where we relied on them missing sitters?

the home game in the cup, we actually went on the front foot and were the better side......

once again another weak performance against a top 6 side this season and I have no idea what puel is up to in terms of tactics. His negative tactics against decent teams in the League have achieved very little and again it showed again. I personally hope puel isn't there next season as this seasons been pretty dire to watch. If any saints fan can actually say they've enjoyed this brand of football they must be delusional.

Totally agree, this is probably the most boring and negative Saints side I've seen in my 20+ years of being a fan, I'm fed up with him setting us up not to lose rather than to try and win. Almost every time we had a chance to hit them on the counter yesterday we just stopped, slowed things down and passed it backwards again. Story of most of the season and it's why only the bottom two have scored less goals at home than us.

On the whole 9th in the league and a cup final, considering the number of games, constitutes a decent season, but I just can't abide by his style of play. Going to SMS has not been a joyless experience this season.

Or just play him because he is better than what's there already, no sentimentality just plain old style play your best team.

On the basis of his U23 games, he's not necessarily better than Stephens or Yoshida.

On the basis of his U23 games, he's not necessarily better than Stephens or Yoshida.

if you look back on here at U23 games earlier in the season, the match comments from those who watched them are basically scathing about the defence..

Stephens featured in some of those games. Even in January, people were suggesting it would be a very long 2nd half to the season if we are left with Yoshida and Stephens........give Caraces a go I say

Beaten by a better side. Disciplined performance by City. Lost in midfield. Look at the spine of their team compared to ours, goalkeepers excepted. As others have said, disappointing we didn't take it to them more but they were tough opponents. Not three goals better but deserved the win.

They were defo at least 3 goals better.

Totally agree, this is probably the most boring and negative Saints side I've seen in my 20+ years of being a fan, I'm fed up with him setting us up not to lose rather than to try and win. Almost every time we had a chance to hit them on the counter yesterday we just stopped, slowed things down and passed it backwards again. Story of most of the season and it's why only the bottom two have scored less goals at home than us.

On the whole 9th in the league and a cup final, considering the number of games, constitutes a decent season, but I just can't abide by his style of play. Going to SMS has not been a joyless experience this season.

I was really hoping Puel would do a good job replacing Koeman who was one of the best managers we have ever had. However since the start of the season the football has been poor, too many changes to the team, he has no connection with the fans (makes no effort) and is stubborn and refuses to play his best players / make changes when nessecary. Why sign Martin Careres and never play him? His tactics against the so called Top 6 are so negative. Why take off our best player Gabby yesterday? It's 10 days until our next game, plenty of time to rest n recover.

Seriously thinking or not renewing my season ticket until Puel leaves now. I'm not a Johnny come lately either, saw my first game in '78 v Bolton, highs n lows, league 1 n back etc, don't expect us to win the league but I do expect the team to try and play good football and do expect the manager to appreciate the fans, have a rapport etc. We're not that far away from having a good team, really hope VvD stays another season, but Puel isn't the manager for us.

Oh dear, oh dear. Not sure I've got the energy to reply (I'm still on my way home) but here goes.

Firstly, we could only play as well as they let us play, and they denied us space and intercept ed well.

The tactics were sound, and as likely to get a result as any others. Certainly going gung-ho and giving them space would have been disastrous. It was, in fact, when we had to try that after they scored.

The first half, we kept good shape, frustrated them and made a few chances, one of which needed to go in, but didn't.

Another day, we could have got a result. The ref certainly didn't help. But give Puel credit. He's a decent manager.

Thanks for a sensible post mate, totally agree...

JWP once again noticeable by his absence. Clasie deserved to start and Tadic should have been taken off at half time.

This but **** happens. Clasie should have come on for WP much earlier, the Boufal sub made sense only to our manager when we were already stretched to the limit down the right side. From then on we were cannon fodder. You'd never have guessed that Puel was a defender.

So by that logic, does that mean our victories against Liverpool and Arsenal in the EFL cup and Everton in the league were due to them basically being crap? (I actually think it was, but would be interested in your thoughts on it)

He is right in that we've not been good enough against the top 6 this year and when we took the game to city (parts of the first half, not enough) we looked the better team.

They were vulnerable at the back (great going forward) why play to their strengths? Personally, I wouldn't say the tactics were sound and I'm yet to see anything to suggest Puel is nothing more than a mid table manager

What were you on last night 'cos lots of us would like some of the same. Could you sort out North Korea next please?

I was really hoping Puel would do a good job replacing Koeman who was one of the best managers we have ever had. However since the start of the season the football has been poor, too many changes to the team, he has no connection with the fans (makes no effort) and is stubborn and refuses to play his best players / make changes when nessecary. Why sign Martin Careres and never play him? His tactics against the so called Top 6 are so negative. Why take off our best player Gabby yesterday? It's 10 days until our next game, plenty of time to rest n recover.

Seriously thinking or not renewing my season ticket until Puel leaves now. I'm not a Johnny come lately either, saw my first game in '78 v Bolton, highs n lows, league 1 n back etc, don't expect us to win the league but I do expect the team to try and play good football and do expect the manager to appreciate the fans, have a rapport etc. We're not that far away from having a good team, really hope VvD stays another season, but Puel isn't the manager for us.

the football we play is decent, give Puel time to get us playing to his way.

1/10 Southsea Skate

What a pile of ****e. Get rid of Puel now! He is ******* useless. Get a new manager in now.

Austin was crap, at least JRod scored. He needs to stay.

We need to buy another striker,...

This is what you posted back at the end of August and you have continued to lambast Puel ever since. I don't think it would be a loss if you didn't renew your ST, (if indeed you even have one.)

If decent football is slow build up play, 5 yard passes in the centre of the park allowing opposition to regain shape then he's already mastered this.

This but **** happens. Clasie should have come on for WP much earlier, the Boufal sub made sense only to our manager when we were already stretched to the limit down the right side. From then on we were cannon fodder. You'd never have guessed that Puel was a defender.

I'm not sure Clasie would have been bullied any less than Ward-Prowse. He's not exactly a tower of strength.

I guess Boufal was a throw of the dice when our game plan was shot. We know he can produce a goal out of nothing, but unfortunately at the moment he's just producing nothing. I also guess Gabbiadini isn't quite 100% so Long was given a chance. His pace might have worked, but didn't.

As Puel said, we lost the game in the first half when we did the defensive bit well, keeping shape, frustrating them and limiting them mainly to long shots. But the other part of that tactic is to counter effectively, moving the ball fast (like their second), and we didn't do that - kept losing the ball when the clever pass was tried or losing momentum playing it safer. But you have to credit City for being very effective in pressing and intercepting when they lost the ball.

Although we did manage three or four dangerous attacks, but needed Gabbiadini instead of Tadic on the end of them. The Tadic miss was pivotal, as was Maya's soft header.

But none of that alters the fact that we were simply beaten by a better team. Nowhere near as bad as it will be if we fail to beat Hull.

Gabbiadini was only put in out of desperation, Puel said in his presser that Gabbiadini was 'a possibility' for the bench to get some game time which indicated that he might get 30 minutes at the end. I was surprised as everyone else that he started and lasted 60 minutes. The last thing we wanted was for him to over-do it and re-igniting his injury so we lost him for the rest of the season.

The over-whelming opinion on here is that if Carceras plays we have to pay him which is the last thing those tight Rrses up stairs are going to do now that Liebherr wants to cash in her chips.

The football under Koeman was equally dire / pragmatic at times as well. From time to time we have games which really do remind us how far away we are from being a very good team and this was one of them. It's nothing to be to disheartened about - given the investment Man City have had for the last decade this sort of result should be normal - anything other than it and they have failed.

We missed our best player and our best performing midfielder this season and it showed.

To get a result against a team of man city's quality you need them to be below par and your players to be right on it. That didn't happen .

City were better all over the pitch we lost the game in midfield and they were in control from the first minute to the last. Tadic, JWP and Hoj killed us yesterday couldn't press properly, couldn't tackle could barely pass and got muscled off the ball way to easy our full backs were nullified by their full backs/wide players ( Cedric in particular had a torrid time trying to stop Sane) and once they got the goal they could pick us off at their leisure.

Their speed, touch and ability on the ball was on a whole different level to our players but I guess that's what big money gets you.

No shame losing to a team like city just disappointed we couldn't have given them a better game.

The football under Koeman was equally dire / pragmatic at times as well. From time to time we have games which really do remind us how far away we are from being a very good team and this was one of them. It's nothing to be to disheartened about - given the investment Man City have had for the last decade this sort of result should be normal - anything other than it and they have failed.

We missed our best player and our best performing midfielder this season and it showed.

It does make a mockery of people talking about us being a regular top six side. City's performance yesterday was light years ahead of just about anything we've served up since being back in the PL.

For some reason Gabbiadini wasn't marking anyone for any of City's corners. He was just kind of zonally marking an area of the 6 yard box' date=' which seemed very strange, particularly when he was nearer to the front post and therefore easy to clear with a decent delivery.[/quote']

I wasn't at the game yesterday but I never understand why we don't leave a pacy guy up front to worry them when up for corners. As it is, by pulling everyone back we have no outball and it enables more players to go up and attack.

Probably a tactical reason I don't understand though!

Puel is SO negative! We can't match City or the likes, for the quality of player but to give them a game you have to get right in amongst them, not let them play at their own tempo and give them half the pitch before making any sort of challenge. As soon as our back four had the ball they were on us cutting down options. That is what we should have been doing. Under Adkins, Poch and Koeman we defended from the front and that always gave us a chance of seizing on a break down. With yesterday's tactics we were beaten before we took the field!! And don't get me started on his substitutions!!!

Win some,lose some.Its how you win and how you lose that require responses.We were beaten by a better team.

Their physicality resulted in no yellow cars D's yet we get three.

MOTM Kompany? Don't make me laugh.He got away with at least three cards and wasfavoured by the Ref

Puel got it wrong pulling off Gabbi and Long got caught heavily on his Achilles.

At least three of our players had a mare and Forster is at times like a statue.

All in all our talent is lacking when key players are out injured.

That's absolute garbage. The football under Koeman was brilliant. You just have missed us beating Utd away twice and scoring 4 past city and beating Liverpool 3-2 and Spurs away and Chelsea away.

That's absolute garbage. The football under Koeman was brilliant. You just have missed us beating Utd away twice and scoring 4 past city and beating Liverpool 3-2 and Spurs away and Chelsea away.

It was brilliant at times and it was rubbish at times. Just like under Puel. I could list all the absolute awful games as well as the good ones but I think you know them as well.

Well beaten, as we have been by the likes of Spurs and Chelsea at home this season. We can't seem to compete with this sides at home like we used to, which is a bit depressing.

We were well organised in the first half, probably had the best chance, but we were still very tepid in our approach. City were also very tepid in the first half, but dominated the ball.

2nd half was a tactical horror show, especially after their first goal. Totally got that wrong, i know we were looking for goals, but I never want to see Bouful, Tadic and Redmond in the same side again - it doesn't work. Without Romeu and those 3 in attack, the game was done. I can understand why Gabba was brought off, the boos around me regarding that were a bit dim - he was clearly only good for 60-70mins after being out for 5 weeks, didn't expect anything different.

But yeah, well beaten. Good side are City, but we couldn't get close to them in the 2nd half which was sad.