Saints V Man City Match Thread & Reaction

Heisenberg

not about blazing it is about getting stuck in further up the pitch.

the gap between the forward(s) and the midfield was pretty big for much of the game

I think we should've got the ball up to the forwards quicker.

Also, I really think we missed Romeu in this game. I said it when he got suspended that we wouldn't miss him against WBA but we would against Man City. Unfortunately I was right.

Thankfully he'll be back against Chelsea.

I think we should've got the ball up to the forwards quicker.

Also, I really think we missed Romeu in this game. I said it when he got suspended that we wouldn't miss him against WBA but we would against Man City. Unfortunately I was right.

Thankfully he'll be back against Chelsea.

true, just shows we need another top quality DM in the summer to compliment him

Not a fan of the way Puel set the team up today. At home we should have been more adventurous imo especially given city's defensive vulnerabilities.

Really got to do much better against the top teams, this season in the league we've been pretty abject.

The long thing seemed bizarre.

Hojberg was poor and was amazed he both started and finished the game given how well clasie played last time out.

Forster - 3: yet another blunder

Cedric - 6: OK, but not fantastic

Stephens - 6: did ok

Yoshida - 4: done in the air for the first goal

Bertrand - 4: poor

Davis - 7: did as much he could

Hojbjerg - 4: poor

JWP - 4: did nothing

Tadic - 4: look at Tadic then look at a player like de Brunei and realise that he would never cut it at a top team

Gabbiadini - 4: no service

Redmond - 4: nothing came off for him today

Subs:

Boufal - 3: total flop

Long - 5: added energy but no quality

Rodriguez - not on long enough to judge

Need to focus on clearing the dead wood in the summer rather than flogging the valuables.

Can't expect to sit back against a quality team who had scored 101 goals prior to this game and expect to win, especially when there's no plan B for when we concede a goal. Hard to have a go at Boufal - he has had no game time and every time he is subbed on he's expected to be a game changer and win it for us. He then tries the spectacular to bring something different but gets slated for it, he needs confidence from playing a lot. Stephens and Davis were very good today. Pretty poor to not even have a go at them and only have 1 shot on target all game

Thought we generally defended well, but our midfield was awful, gave the ball away too easily (often under little pressure and from good positions).

Stephens generally did pretty well - but he's not a 'youngster' and shouldn't be judged as such. He's 23.

Thought Redmond was poor today, failed to control too many balls and didn't provide the service or create the chances that we need to. We weren't getting enough players forward, just didn't create nearly enough, apart from a Yoshida header straight at the keeper we never looked like scoring.

I didn't think Man City looked all that, for 70 odd mins they barely looked like scoring (except for Kompany's goal from a corner). Then a mini collapse from us and the score line flatted them. However we were poor and didn't deserve anything as we never looked like scoring, we didn't even look like we were trying to score.

On the face of it you could argue there’s no shame in losing to Man City, and it’s true they play very well and it’s not easy to get the ball off them. However, things could have been very different. It looked to me like we set out to restrict them to half chances, which they had a few but didn’t take. At the same time, we might not create much, but against their defence there was reason to think we would get a chance or two, and that they’d be good ones. We did, but we didn’t take them. I don’t expect Tadic to be prolific but I expect a player of his calibre to hit the target with space, a nice rolling ball, from 10 yards out. At half time, I felt we’d done decently though, keeping them at arm’s length while looking dangerous ourselves.

Second half it all fell a bit flat. Steven Davis had been excellent first half, but seemed to want an extra touch in the second. Hojbjerg did ok at times but looked hesitant in possession, and I barely remember JWP touching the ball in either half until he went off. Criticism of Tadic being anonymous was frequent on here, and while he didn’t have a good game, when we hardly had the ball in their half, I’m not sure what people want him to do. Gabbiadini barely touched the ball either. Redmond looked spritely again, though made a few wrong decisions when he had space either inside or outside.

One thing I have noticed about our play is that we often take two touches when a single pass may do the job. Defensively I think that’s ok, it means we play out well from the back and chance fewer risky passes. However, when we’re attacking, sometimes that extra pass slows the attack down, and it’s a split second longer the defence have to get into position.

We also saw that once again the introduction of Boufal to play alongside Tadic proved our undoing, as well as obviously we were chasing the game and being more open. And yet, I don’t really blame Puel for making the sub, we had to try and find an equaliser. Boufal even started well, playing some short passes and making runs before he clicked into the playground-hogger mode a bit later. I assume we were taking precautions with Gabbiadini, but also I think Long was a good idea to close down the defenders & goalkeeper, as they were taking chances at the back.

I think the problem is that our starting midfielders just aren’t good enough, or we at least don’t have good or different enough options. As soon as Hojbjerg and Davis started tiring we seemed to lose all threat, but then we don’t have any alternatives in there. Would Clasie for JWP have made any real difference? I don’t think so. Oh, and the game may yet have been different if Forster could react to a ball within a yard of his body... Put your hand out man!

Too deep, too defensive, too slow.

Ward-Prowse, Tadic, Redmond & Boufal were awful. Foster & Yoshida at fault for first goal.

Hojberg our best midfielder by miles. The only one who didn't give the ball away.

Just don't understand why we didn't even try to take the game to them & for that we must blame Puel.

Rubbish!

We seem to have given far to much respect to the BIG 6 this season. If Reed isn't talking about selling players to the top 6 then Puel is setting up with far too much courtesy to the top 6.

Weve seen with the EFL that the way to beat these sides is attack, Puel just keeps playing the same song but expecting a different beat.

City are a good side, but if all u need is a good side then we'd be 7th and we'll clear of WBA, Watford, Burnley and AFCB

We struggled with their movement and never really got into the game. Gave the ball away too cheaply at times and didn't get behind them enough.

Still we did create a few decent chances and were still in the game until they scored the second.

Ward-Prowse, Tadic, Redmond & Boufal were awful. Foster & Yoshida at fault for first goal.

Hojberg our best midfielder by miles. The only one who didn't give the ball away.

Just don't understand why we didn't even try to take the game to them & for that we must blame Puel.

Rubbish!

You been on the ale?

Ah well. That's over and basically we weren't bad for most of the game but we were never good enough.

The game plan to play like an away team was good whilst we were holding them, not once they took the lead. Don't agree that we should have set up more aggressively - look what happened once we were open at the back.

Knowing how City play out from the back and are vulnerable to the press, surprised Long didn't start with Gabby for later. Gabby never really got a look in and seemed less sharp.

Ref did us no favours. The corner for the first goal came after a questionable free kick, but we defended it badly.

Forster - very mixed. A couple of good saves, poor for first and third goals, rooted to his line.

The defence all had decent games, Maya the best, but were weak like Forster on the first and third goals. And there was no attempt to cut out the cross for the last.

Davis was my MOM, but couldn't play the holding role and create. Hojbjerg just not strong enough.

I thought JWP worked hard but Redmond a Tadic just weren't functioning around him.

The subs didn't make much difference. Boufal worries me, Shane ran but got no joy, was JRod there?

Romeu is back now, Gabby has a week to get sharp. Blue line. Move on.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Puels tactics against the better sides at home rely on us keeping a clean sheet and hope we snatch a late chance. If the oppo score first it's game over. Over the past few years I've gone into the game vs the big sides expecting to get a positive result as we've gone out to win. This season I've expected nothing and we've got nothing.

Thought Stephens has been excellent for a young un today

I never criticise players and Stephens put in two vital blocks which would have led to goals and he generally didn't look out of place.

However, the move which led to the corner for the first goal started because Stephens got caught in possession needlessly just outside his own box. It is arguable that he could have done better for the third. he seemed to glance behind him and must have seen Aguero there, but wasn't hassling him for the ball.

The thing is we all want him to do well, and he has filled in brilliantly for Fonte, but surely we need to know what Caceres can do in the Premier League and I hope Puel gives Stephens a break to find that out.

The thing is we all want him to do well, and he has filled in brilliantly for Fonte, but surely we need to know what Caceres can do in the Premier League and I hope Puel gives Stephens a break to find that out.

We don't need to know, really. And Puel will have a far better idea than any of us, having watched him every day for a couple of months.

Stephen's my Motm, everyone else meh ! I'm sure 2 of their goals came after 2 dodgy refereeing decisions but could be wrong still wouldn't have got anything out of the match , when we start deep and slow we very rarely can get out of that way of playing !

The way I saw it was that Long had indicated that he was injured and JRod was readed to come on, when Long was subbed he then indicated that he wasn't injured enough to come off but Black pointed to his own thigh as if to show that Long had shown that he was injured. Why there wasn't more positive communcation between the bench and Long to confirm his fitness I don't know!!

Rubbish!

We did take the game to them once they scored. What happened?

And if you think Hojbjerg was our best midfielder, I look forward to welcoming you back from your parallel universe.

We don't need to know, really. And Puel will have a far better idea than any of us, having watched him every day for a couple of months.

Okay, well I would like to know.

I agree that Puel sees him in training and can see his positioning, ball control etc but there is no crowd pressure and no intensity in that environment. Likewise, I have watched him in 2 U23 games and he looked composed, but until he is up against players like Aguero and Sane in front of a packed stadium we don't know (and Puel doesn't know) if he can perform in the Premier League.

I am not knocking Stephens and I think he has been a breath of fresh air, but if Caceres is actually as good as Kompany or VVD I'd like to find out sooner rather than later.

Okay, well I would like to know.

I agree that Puel sees him in training and can see his positioning, ball control etc but there is no crowd pressure and no intensity in that environment. Likewise, I have watched him in 2 U23 games and he looked composed, but until he is up against players like Aguero and Sane in front of a packed stadium we don't know (and Puel doesn't know) if he can perform in the Premier League.

I am not knocking Stephens and I think he has been a breath of fresh air, but if Caceres is actually as good as Kompany or VVD I'd like to find out sooner rather than later.

Do you not think if he was anywhere near as good as them he'd be playing ?

Little one was kicking off so missed most of second half. Managed to catch Sane's goal, SKY remote went at the telly when I saw the ****s in the Northam with their camera's out taking photos of him!!

What happened with Long?

Personally I don't think the result reflected the performance, well first half anyway. 1st goal was vital and if Tadic had put his chance away in the first half then it would have been a totally different game.

Once they got their 1st it was always going in their favour with the pace they have on the counter.

Feel like we should have pressed more, especially when Bravo had the ball at his feet.

Disappointing to only pick up 1 point off the top 6 (assuming Everton will drop out of there tomorrow) so far this year, as previously we've been a good match for them, even more so when we are at home.

Not basing on today's performance as I feel he played okay (well on par with everyone else), but I feel Davis isn't good enough defensively to play as a 2. PEH will get there, not there just yet, but a position we really need to strengthen in for next year.

Do you not think if he was anywhere near as good as them he'd be playing ?

Simo, that is what I have been saying. We (and Puel) simply don't know how good (or bad) he is in a high pressure environment.

I 100% agree with your post #277 - and a new partnership I'd like Puel to try out is Maya and Caceres!

The guy played 51 games for Juventus up to 2016, and had he not been injured then not in our wildest dreams would we have seen him at St Mary's. There is no room for sentiment in this league and although I love it when an academy player comes through (yes I know Stephens isn't truly 'home grown') I believe we need to find out whether Caceres can still do it or not.

Simo, that is what I have been saying. We (and Puel) simply don't know how good (or bad) he is in a high pressure environment.

I 100% agree with your post #277 - and a new partnership I'd like Puel to try out is Maya and Caceres!

The guy played 51 games for Juventus up to 2016, and had he not been injured then not in our wildest dreams would we have seen him at St Mary's. There is no room for sentiment in this league and although I love it when an academy player comes through (yes I know Stephens isn't truly 'home grown') I believe we need to find out whether Caceres can still do it or not.

He wasn't that impressive in the last U23 game

You can't sit off sides like City and let them have the space we gave them and expect to get anything, Davis was the only one who put in any kind of shift today. IMO Forster should have got to the first one everyone sat round me thought there was a foul on Long before the third goal. Puels substitutions baffle me at times and today was one of those occasions.

We did take the game to them once they scored. What happened?

And if you think Hojbjerg was our best midfielder, I look forward to welcoming you back from your parallel universe.

Who was better? Ward-Prowse was anonymous, Davis lost the ball too much & dwelled too long on it when he had it, Tadic was rubbish, Boufal even worse, Redmond as bad as he's been.........so yes he was the best of a bad bunch.

Maybe you should head back up the black hole you've been hiding in??

i watched the game on BTsport and realise now why I stopped paying for the BTsport subscription. A one sided commentary team with a Pompey fan commentator, aScouse git who played for Man City and a total Liverpool bias with their pundits.

Man City deserved to win on their second half performance. Bertrand doesn't look himself at present and as much as I like Davis Iwould have thought the midfield who did so well against WBA perhaps deserved to start.

Boufal as yet has not convinced me but I hope Puel will get him to cross once he has beaten his man and not try to beat him again.

We still play some decent football and look composed on the ball.

I look forward to next season after CP has worked with the squad and perhaps got a couple of decent players in

Same mistake with the subs as the Bournemouth game. Brings on Boufal for JWP, gives up the midfield in doing so and get over run. Got away with it against the Cherry Pips but you don't against a decent side like City.

The problem is when we're chasing a goal we need to open ourselves up and that makes us very vulnerable!

Plenty of people behind the goal taking ****ing pictures of Kompany celebrating that first goal.

**** off you ****s.

There was certainly a strong smell of plastic in the Northam air today, applauding and filming city celebrations and taking selfies all game, not to mention the queues getting into the ground because people didn't know how to use the barcode readers.

Whilst I'm having a moan as I'm ****ed off about the score, they went the complete opposite way with the PA system today, could barely hear Justin or the crap music we play.

sort of expected that today. I swear Kompany always manages to turn out when they play us. I just hope Les and co are sorting stuff now for the summer. I'm not the biggest fan of Puel but he's had far more limited resources than Koeman and MP so hasn't done too bad a job. If we only lose VVD then we have a chance to build a decent squad for next season.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

There was certainly a strong smell of plastic in the Northam air today, applauding and filming city celebrations and taking selfies all game, not to mention the queues getting into the ground because people didn't know how to use the barcode readers.

Whilst I'm having a moan as I'm ****ed off about the score, they went the complete opposite way with the PA system today, could barely hear Justin or the crap music we play.

I seem to always get plastic away fans sat in front of me whenever we play one of the bigger teams ****es me off !

Well that was poor. Every time I am back in the Uk and catch a game we lose badly!

Puels tactics were too negative today and we paid them too much respect. Felt for Clasie - Hojberg and Davis were terrible. can';t believe someone said Hojberg was MoM!

Most worrying was Boufal. From the time he came on it was like watching Ali Dia - he'd lose the ball and half heartedly track back and his passing was abysmal. Zero confidence but I hope he is better next season or we have another expensive flop on our hands.

There was 1 player I thought was magnificent and that was Stephens. His passing and last ditch blocks were very impressive - especially as Bertand and Soares were woeful today.

We deserved nothing from this game and a 6 or 7 - 0 scoreline would not have flattered them.

Very, very poor but take nothing away from City - their movement and pace was sublime.

Some ridiculous over-reactions about the defeat today.

A team of above average players assembled for very little money was well beaten by a team of world-class players assembled at massive cost.

I thought tht as well as Kompany, De Bruine (apologies sfor spelling) was class, started most of the dangerous moves and also to my surprise completely stifled Redmond.

One positive I thought Jack Stephens looked very good for a very young centre-back, I just hope he progresses well. Central defenders usually mature much older.

I can only watch on TV, but apart from some abysmal Europa Cup games, this is the only time I have seen us completely outclassed.

We have to accept that our realistic ambition is to win division two ie 6th to 12th in the Premier League, and try to win a cup and qualify for the Europa Cup.

Only massive investment can change this.

Realistically we punch above our weight, a relatively small City admittedly with an affluent catchment area, a medium size stadium and a club that had always been a lower division club until the sixties and was virtually bankrupt a few years ago.

I think it is too early to pass judgement on Puel, admittedly a moderate start ,but he must be allowed to form his own team, if no better at the end of next season then we should probably look elsewhere.

(I remember our most successful manager was hardly greeted with praise in his first season and Mike Channon took at least a couple of years to mature into a genuine international class player.

Of course money has changed everything.

Outclassed from 1 to 11 today. No shame in that: City have the best attacking options in the league and when it all clicks are tough to live with.

Not many positives from a Saints perspective. Stephens had some good moments but probably should've taken charge of the situation that led to the third goal - even though it was Cedric who got out-jumped by Aguero, I think a centre back marking thin air should be all over the one attacker buzzing around, not handing him off to someone else.

Hojbjerg started the game with some excellent interceptions, but literally had no idea what he was doing when in possession of the ball. I lost count of the number of times he turned over possession by overplaying, dawdling or just passing abjectly.

I've never much liked Tadic in the 10 - as much as he claims it's his "best position" - as he's slow, easily brushed off the ball by aggressive defenders, and jogs back half-heartedly in a barely token attempt to help the midfield out when we lose possession. His indifference when the going gets tough drives me mad. He's a classic fairweather player: looks good when we're on top, but is one of the first to raise the white flag when it's difficult.

Ward-Prowse's limitations out wide were starkly exposed against opponents quicker, stronger and who pressed with intent. He was totally out of his depth.

Is it my imagination or has Bertrand gone a bit final-season-Clyne-y lately? He's not been anything like his best. Is he just phoning it in, with a summer move already arranged?

I actually let out a sigh of relief when I saw Kompany's header going straight at the keeper. We've got away with that, I thought. Obviously I didn't account for Forster finding a way to make even the most routine saves look nigh on impossible for mortal men. I'm still not sure how he didn't keep it out...

Anyway, City were deserving winners. We never looked like we believed we could compete with them - that's probably the biggest disappointment. We went down without a fight. Without Romeu, where are the leaders who are ready to roll their sleeves up and get stuck into a battle?

That was one of the meekest capitulations I've seen all season.

Onto the next game...

It was a good job Pep subbed Sane when he did.

Stephens and Sane were building up to a punch up at various times.. With Sane mouthing off at him in goal celebrations and Stephens deffo biting back and clearly wanting to "get him" witha robust challenge.