Chelsea v Saints Build Up

Heisenberg

A cheeky repeat of last season would be v.nice

Tough match, but 8 days to prepare and with Romeu back + Gabbi fully fit you never know.

9th time lucky against the BIG 6 in the league. Let's get at them, sit deep and we will lose.

That'll be our tatics.. sit back, try and hit them on the break.

As shown today, we are best when we play on the front foot, for me, it just doesn't happen enough.

They are much better defensively than city, 2-0 Chelsea.

As shown today, we are best when we play on the front foot, for me, it just doesn't happen enough.

8 days to prepare and I would predict far more intensity and attack for this one.

Our results against the Top 6 have been very disappointing thus far.

LLLDDLLL (scored 4) so far - compare that to last season LWDLWWWDLWWW (scored 24) difference is the approach and respect we now seem to have for the BIG 6

Chelsea have far more to lose, we need to get at them fast and early. Make them nervous, don't let them settle and dictate without a fight.

Edited by Heisenberg

We took it to Man Utd at Wembley, toe to toe, slugging it out. We were brilliant. That's the way to play the big teams. Playing on the back foot, keeping it tight, hoping we get a break away - nah, look how that turns out. Go balls out Braveheart style!

Edited by the saint in winchester

We really, really missed Romeu against Man City, and it showed. He'll be back, our midfield will be stronger, and we'll play much better.

I still think Chelsea will beat us, but it'll be closer hopefully.

Sky will want a tight title race, so hopefully there will be a PL/Sky/referees conspiracy to ensure that we win.

Having seen how poor Chelsea were today at Old Trafford I'm actually feeling much more confident about this game so will go for just a 1-0 defeat.

The pressure is definitely on them now if Spurs keep up the run of wins they might struggle.

So, after defeat against Man u today, will Chelsea take it out on us? Or will they get the jitters? Time will tell.

Would be great to hold them to a draw and give Tottenham something to bite on. As well as add to our point total, of course.

Sorry, why would that be great? Obviously a Saints victory should always be cheered but if we're going to lose any game, I'd rather it be one to keep the title away from White Hart Lane.

Post 5 constantly makes me think the page hasnt loaded properly

Samsies

Sorry, why would that be great? Obviously a Saints victory should always be cheered but if we're going to lose any game, I'd rather it be one to keep the title away from White Hart Lane.

Samsies

Chelsea and Man City are the best teams i've seen at St Mary's this season. That 0-2 earlier in the season was impressive to watch as they strangled us very effectively - sadly i expect more of the same. We are a better team now than then, but they have way more to play for and coming of the back of the UTD defeat they are surely going to be up for it.

2-1 Chelsea.

Because I don't hold hatred in my heart for Poch. Release the bile, it's better for your health. #dosomethingkind

wanting Spurs to win the league is not "something kind" ffs and you'll probably find 99% of Saints fans dislike for Spurs goes back way before Poch moved there.

Why? Are you anti-Semitic? Why do have any hatred? Let it go.

I don't mind who wins the Premier League, Chelsea or Tottenham. I would like the race to go to the last day of the season, and may the best team win.

That's a very strange leap for you to make. There are plenty of footballing reasons to dislike Tottenham, particularly in relation to Saints. If they won the league I just feel we'd never hear the end of it, and even though I don't despise Pochettino, it would make it a bitter pill to swallow to see him go to them and then have such success. I know so many Tottenham fans, many of them perfectly reasonable human beings, both in life and in regard to their team. Unfortunately I also have a few Spurs friends who will be insufferable, and as a whole, if not individually, their fans must be one of the most irritating bunches in the country.

I would like for them to fall away again, then have their excellent team picked apart by the teams (albeit few) above them in the pecking order.

I really couldn't give two hoots (*checks google to make sure this expression has no anti-semitic connotations*) about any religious link, and I wonder more about those that immediately want to jump to such conclusions!

Costa will totally bully Stephens, I really do think Puel might just give Caceres a run out in this one.

since the China rumours Costa has been relatively poor for his standards.

I'm gonna be bold and go for a 0-0 draw, have no hope that we'd score but hopefully Chelsea's game vs Spurs can take its toll on them a bit.

wanting Spurs to win the league is not "something kind" ffs and you'll probably find 99% of Saints fans dislike for Spurs goes back way before Poch moved there.

It goes way back before then. When I first started going to games (1967) Spurs were our "rivals" (I know some people have a problem with that term but they were proper rivals in the footballing sense, not because they were local). I always assumed it went back to the Southen League days but as I am not quite that old I can't be sure. The dislike for Spurs goes much deeper than what came later with Pompey, we used to quite like Pompey (though we did always stand in the away end at Nottarf Krap). So those who think it would be a good thing to have Spurs beat Chelsea under any circumstances is really quite difficult to stomach for those of us with a bit more history. Mind you we used to dislike Chelsea as well.

Just seen that Lee Mason is the ref from this one

A quick google search and he was born in fecking Portsmouth!!!

He is also the prat who robbed us of a point in the last minute against Arsenal away !

One of the worst decisions of the season - the Skate connection now makes sense !

He is also the prat who robbed us of a point in the last minute against Arsenal away !

One of the worst decisions of the season - the Skate connection now makes sense !

That was Robert Madley.

Our record when Lee Mason is the referee is awful though.

Think it's like 1 win in our last 10 and that was Stoke away last season where he sent off Mane and denied us a stone wall penalty.

Neither do I, I hold hatred in my heart for Tottenham. Even on sad days like today.

This is a very fair point.

I never want to see Saints lose but, to give one example, laughing at the irate seething at us on Spurs' messageboards after we lost to Leicester last season massively softened the blow.

That was Robert Madley.

Our record when Lee Mason is the referee is awful though.

Think it's like 1 win in our last 10 and that was Stoke away last season where he sent off Mane and denied us a stone wall penalty.

Indeed, think he got demoted as punishment for a week following that match. Surprised the FA let him ref our games with Portsmouth connections.

It goes way back before then. When I first started going to games (1967) Spurs were our "rivals" (I know some people have a problem with that term but they were proper rivals in the footballing sense, not because they were local). I always assumed it went back to the Southen League days but as I am not quite that old I can't be sure. The dislike for Spurs goes much deeper than what came later with Pompey, we used to quite like Pompey (though we did always stand in the away end at Nottarf Krap). So those who think it would be a good thing to have Spurs beat Chelsea under any circumstances is really quite difficult to stomach for those of us with a bit more history. Mind you we used to dislike Chelsea as well.

There is certainly some history of ill feeling dating from this time on reading some of the history books, but in my lifetime, and following Saints from around the same era as you it has been more to do with Chivers, 1978 promotion etc. Strange that Saints always had a good relationship with Arsenal often reported at Board level but never the yids.

Just when things steadied down a bit the whole hatred of spurs is reinvigorated by the Hoddle saga, Dean Richards, and more recently of course Poch. As things stand I can't really say I'm anti -Poch anymore, you have to admire his style of play etc, and some of the thunder has been taken by Koeman's departure. Still have an intense disliking of their club though, and many of the players especially Mong and Alli.

Pleased Chelsea beat the c^nts tonight.

Chelsea looked disturbing good tonight. Hope they're all tired and hungover for Tues

Was hoping for extra time

I think the way Spurs set out played into their hands. Chelsea were happy to sit back, soak up the pressure and hit them on the counter attack. We need to be solid at the back to beat Chelsea.

This game tomorrow is one of the reasons I don't think I love football any more. Like our last game, the opposition is likely not to have any English/British players in their starting XI. I guess Man City did bring on Sterling for the last 4 minutes. I know we all have different opinions and think certain things are more important than others, but I would hate it if Saints had no English players in the team.

This game tomorrow is one of the reasons I don't think I love football any more. Like our last game, the opposition is likely not to have any English/British players in their starting XI. I guess Man City did bring on Sterling for the last 4 minutes. I know we all have different opinions and think certain things are more important than others, but I would hate it if Saints had no English players in the team.

I've been thinking about this a lot. Why do I support the team I do? What does it represent? Is it the city? Does that mean that most/some players should be from the city? Is it the country, which means I'd want most/some players from that country? Or is it the club, which can be represented by whatever best business the club can do? I think for me it's grown into the last thing, because it has to. And then, for me, it doesn't make much of a difference anymore whether 3, 2, 1 or none of the players are from the country or city the club is in. The biggest part of the team is going to be a bunch of bought employees. As long as the team plays nicely and at least pretend to have heart for the club, I'm still fine.

Totally agree. You'd think as they play in England that all PL clubs would try to field at least a couple of players in every match or be forced to!