Strange thing seen at games

kwsaint

I believe it is directed at the 'pigs' (police). It only seems to happen in the Northam though.

I honestly do not understand how anyone with an average mental capacity can sit in the Northam. Full of absolute spastics.

Don't be frightened by others disability, just because it is unfamiliar to you. You cannot catch cerebral palsy and sufferers have as much right as you do to enjoy football. And to those complaining about being near mentally ill fans, please try to overcome your prejudices- there is too much stigma attached to mental health issues in the uk right now. For some of these people football is all they have. if you really don't want to be around the mentally less well off, don't sit in the northam.

Grown men in fancy dress thinking they're hilarious, banter boys putting mars bars on their heads thinking they're hilarious. People hero worshipping a midget in a suit who told them whey wanted to hear, div fans who compared footballers to looking like crisps, people sitting in football stadiums on their phones or iPads. People filming key moments of a game rather than enjoying the moment. Saints "fans" filming other clubs celebrating goals against us. Half and half scarves. Men overt he age of 16 getting emotionally attached to players.

Like our super-duper not-at-all-League 1 level goalkeeper?

Block 43 was mostly general sale as City didn't take up their full allocation - and yep, was absolutely full of tourists. My season ticket's in 42 but close to the 43 side and all I could see was people taking photos, playing on their phones or disinterestedly chatting.

Pay your money and do as you please, but I find it difficult to understand why those people even bothered to attend.

I hate it went block 43 is open especially against big teams, reminds me of the sort of fans that go in the neutral bit at Fulham, we are becoming like that.

There's such an air of disinterest amongst so many of our fans, no passion or atmosphere, the whole experience is getting worse.

I do miss our league one days, seeing the love in for the skates on social media taking 4500 to Notts County today whilst we f@ck around with tiny allocations at Chelsea and Liverpool (you just know our support will be horrific at Anfield) can see why people are losing interest. Even our European night atmospheres were poor, sad state of affairs.

It's this sort of crap that makes me want to ditch the season tickets and mainly just do away games. If it wasn't for the fact I take the kids now I would give the games against the big teams a wide berth and watch Sholing instead. The bloke behind me was whinging so much yesterday that I was close to telling him to **** off and then you get *****s outside shouting ******** like "I can't wait until we sell Tadic, he's useless." ****ing idiots.

You know when people say it was more fun in League 1 and the Championship? Well, from a match going point of view they are right. Most of the tossers would stop going and that would suit me just fine.

Already had that discussion. I can't be bothered with home game any more, utterly tedious and the ground is full of dinlos, I'd far rather do all the away matches instead.

It's about time an away season ticket was set up by the club again, even easier now all tickets are £30. How hard can it be for them to set up a direct debit? Only benefit of being a ST at the moment is access to away tickets.

The worlds a funny place now..people are so obsessed with the behaviour of others, they let it spoil their own enjoyment.

Expecting others to create the atmosphere you desire is also just opting out, Too many people doing that iis why the atmosphere is sterile.

Do what you want, sing and support the team and ignore them. You can only hear them moaning if you are not singing..and if you are singing..they may actually join in.

On topic the strangest thing I have seen is the women filming a live on TV game on her I pad..so whe watched the whole game on a screen.... May as well stayed at home..but each to their own..

Oh and the "pretend saints fan" at the home Liverpool game in front of me.. Who joined in with the songs, talked about being a fan etc but clearly had the Liverpool crest as his screen saver when he held up his phone to film a Liverpool player taking a corner.

There was a cretin in front of me earlier this season who actually live Facebook streamed the entire first half of one of the matches.

This is not restricted to football. I have been to hundreds of gigs over the years since I was old enough to go at the end of the 1980's. Gigs have gone the same way, fecking camera phones filming everything.

The exception to this rule in recent times have been The Fall and Sleaford Mod's who I assume attract mid 40-something's like me.

As for the football. Pffffffftttttt I've been slowly losing the faith since promotion. I was ever present at the Dell from mid 80's until moving to Uni early 90's. Then mainly did away's. As others have mentioned fell in love all over again when we dropped down the leagues, league 1 was amazing and reminded me of my first match-going experiences. Now, back to meh. I watch mainly on my stream box as I can't justify the expense anymore as priorities have changed.

I may be in a minority but I'm just not having much fun when I attend matches anymore. The general buzz seems lacking. I know my close friends feel the same, many of whom still I've in the area unlike myself.

Oddest thing ever seen at football. I've mentioned him before: celery man on the Milton circa 1986/7

Edited by jasonb

This is not restricted to football. I have been to hundreds of gigs over the years since I was old enough to go at the end of the 1980's. Gigs have gone the same way, fecking camera phones filming everything.

The exception to this rule in recent times have been The Fall and Sleaford Mod's who I assume attract mid 40-something's like me.

As for the football. Pffffffftttttt I've been slowly losing the faith since promotion. I was ever present at the Dell from mid 80's until moving to Uni early 90's. Then mainly did away's. As others have mentioned fell in love all over again when we dropped down the leagues, league 1 was amazing and reminded me of my first match-going experiences. Now, back to meh. I watch mainly on my stream box as I can't justify the expense anymore as priorities have changed.

I may be in a minority but I'm just not having much fun when I attend matches anymore. The general buzz seems lacking. I know my close friends feel the same, many of whom still I've in the area unlike myself.

Oddest thing ever seen at football. I've mentioned him before: celery man on the Milton circa 1986/7

Certainly not the only one mate. I know many who just don't enjoy it anymore, to the point where I and a few others won't be renewing ST next season (first time in 20 years for me).

IMO a lot of this has to be down to the football we've played this year. I've had a cracking time in Europe however I found myself thinking that the game was the worst part of the trip!

We were late getting tickets for the Man City game and ended up in block 43, which was clearly the tourist section. Apart from countless people with mobile phones, I saw one of the oddest things I have ever seen at a game. When he arrived, the young Japanese gentleman sat next to me proceeded to get out a wet wipe and meticulously cleaned the seat. Even kneeling down to see better. Given that these seats are usually covered in netting they did not look especially grubby.

What are the oddest things that you have seen at games?

While it may not be the norm at a football match, if you think it odd, then it might show a lack of understanding of the Japanese.

Originally Posted by kwsaint

We were late getting tickets for the Man City game and ended up in block 43, which was clearly the tourist section. Apart from countless people with mobile phones, I saw one of the oddest things I have ever seen at a game. When he arrived, the young Japanese gentleman sat next to me proceeded to get out a wet wipe and meticulously cleaned the seat. Even kneeling down to see better. Given that these seats are usually covered in netting they did not look especially grubby.

What are the oddest things that you have seen at games?

While it may not be the norm at a football match, if you think it odd, then it might show a lack of understanding of the Japanese.

Or it might have been the seat where one particular Portsmouth fan allegedly himself comfortable.

Just trying to remember. Didn't Neil Ruddock sit down by the post throughout the half time period to complain against Branfoots management. Since having my stroke I can't quite remember the details. So I think that qualifies as being unusual. Mind you he had some guts to do that and everyone must have agreed with it. Can anyone fill me with the details cos I can't quite remember what happened. Cheers.

Every time I watch a game on TV/online they show that idiot with the face paint and wig. Surely someone has told him what a **** everyone thinks he is?

I very loudly mentioned that he was an embarrassment when he walked past me on the weekend, I'm not a violent person, but I'm shocked no-one has outright punched him one just for existing. There's a lot of balls talked about "laughing stock" and "embarrassment" around football, buy that guy has got it sussed. He's ALWAYS on his own as well. He is sadness personified, not helped by the "RIP someone" message he has on the back of his shirt.

'My way' song played before the games. Does anyone actually like this? It's slow, boring, tin pot and actually reduces the atmosphere just before kick off.

I keep seeing people joining in with the "We are Southampton" bit at the end, they can't help themselves. It's just garbage. On the bright side, I've noticed we're playing 80s and 90s songs a lot more now. I remember wondering why they played 60s and early 70s songs when I went to football in the early 80s, but even that was only about 10-15 years afterwards - the late 80s stuff is now 30 years old. :o

Certainly not the only one mate. I know many who just don't enjoy it anymore, to the point where I and a few others won't be renewing ST next season (first time in 20 years for me).

IMO a lot of this has to be down to the football we've played this year. I've had a cracking time in Europe however I found myself thinking that the game was the worst part of the trip!

You've undermined your own point somewhat, haven't you.

I very loudly mentioned that he was an embarrassment when he walked past me on the weekend, I'm not a violent person, but I'm shocked no-one has outright punched him one just for existing. There's a lot of balls talked about "laughing stock" and "embarrassment" around football, buy that guy has got it sussed. He's ALWAYS on his own as well. He is sadness personified, not helped by the "RIP someone" message he has on the back of his shirt.

I presumed he was 'dressing up ironically' or something ... weirdo.