Puel vs Koeman

Maggie May

Mods - how do I report this post? I'm fed up (as no doubt you are too) of people accusing certain posters of trolling when we all know there aren't any trolls on this forum. All these so called "trolls" are doing is expressing an opinion without any thinly veiled agendas or desire to wind people up whatsoever. Thanks.

Sorry trousers... :blush:

Pretty fair from what we have seen from the current crop of players on the edge of the first team. Good, but not good enough to be in a team aiming for the top end of the table, however much hype there is. The U23s last night weren't good and that included several players talked about for the first team. This isn't unusual though and we may need to wait awhile until the next bunch come through. In an era of marketing hype, I'm sure the football side of SFC is being honest and realistic and knows that they need far better players to come through if we are to hit the 50% first team squad (competing in or qualifying for European football) made of academy players target.

Koeman saying I give youth more chances than English managers is one of those great media sound bites that the press will lap up but doesn't really stack up considering the English manager contingent of the PL is Howe, Fat Sam, Dyche and Shakespeare all managing teams flirting with relegation at times this season.

Did we want to finish 6th and get into Europe or did we want to give youth more chances? Don't think you could have had both last season.

Koeman clearly made the right choice last season.

Giving youth a chance this season saw us exit a relatively easy Europe group and exit the FA cup sharp.

Don't just play youth for the sake of it. They need to be good enough. Feel that's probably why Koeman and Reed clashed.

Did we want to finish 6th and get into Europe or did we want to give youth more chances? Don't think you could have had both last season.

Koeman clearly made the right choice last season.

Giving youth a chance this season saw us exit a relatively easy Europe group and exit the FA cup sharp.

Don't just play youth for the sake of it. They need to be good enough. Feel that's probably why Koeman and Reed clashed.

Do you think Koeman would have played Stephens in the league cup semi-final second leg and final?

Yes he did.

Lets face it Koeman, in that situation, would have put Betrand in at CB and played Cuco as a left back anything but put trust in a youngster...

I think that's probably right. It's interesting that Koeman has come out now and used such strong language. He sort of (sort of) has a point about youth getting more chances with all the games we had this year, but I bet it's about attitude around the training ground as much as anything. Was it Sims who Koeman said he didn't know?

Yes he did.

Lets face it Koeman, in that situation, would have put Betrand in at CB and played Cuco as a left back anything but put trust in a youngster...

The fact that he has gone to Everton and did exactly what others slated him for speaks volumes. In the whole, our youth isnt at the level Reed thinks it is.

And no, Puel didnt really have much of a choice

The fact that he has gone to Everton and did exactly what others slated him for speaks volumes. In the whole, our youth isnt at the level Reed thinks it is.

I think Koeman will only play nippers if they're clearly better than the established players. Whereas I get the impression that Claude will look at the bigger picture & build for the future. It's hard to judge a player not in first team as non first team standard is poor. It took a leap of faith to chuck Stephens in ahead of Cuco or Ryan B at centre half. If Stephens was clearly better than other options Koeman would have played him, but I doubt he would of taken the chance without knowing whether he was. When you don't know if the nipper is good enough, but chuck him in on a hunch or to give him a chance to learn about him, is completely different to playing them when they're better than older players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most must admit Koeman has done well at Everton. Galling as so want him to fail. Doesn't seem the same warmth from fans up there than we had for him though and think he isn't too far away from failure. Here's hoping next season.

I really like Puel but think some of that is supporting the humble understated gentleman that so many ***ts want to lay into.

I'd argue the opposite. The fact McQueen, Sims and Stephens have all made it into the first team and not looked out of place despite playing in some big games would suggest that our youngsters are not as bad as Koeman tried to make out I expect to see Sam Gallagher in and around the first team next season as well.

Puel also had a choice he wouldn't be the first manager to play a seasoned pro out of position rather than a youth player but he was brave enough to take the punt on youth.

I'd argue the opposite. The fact McQueen, Sims and Stephens have all made it into the first team and not looked out of place despite playing in some big games would suggest that our youngsters are not as bad as Koeman tried to make out I expect to see Sam Gallagher in and around the first team next season as well.

Puel also had a choice he wouldn't be the first manager to play a seasoned pro out of position rather than a youth player but he was brave enough to take the punt on youth.

I cant see gallagher getting a lot of game time either to be honest, not unless we ship out long, Austin or Rodriguez and more than likely 2 of those 3.

Im not really a fan of playing youth for the hel of it, of course those you mentioned have not looked out of place, and especially Stephens that looks excellent. But Id always be an advocate of playing your best players.

As per the FA Cup. Puel would be a fool if he were to effectively weaken two positions when he had a decent alternative on the bench. His hand was forced, and if Ronald was in the same position I think he would have come to the same conclusion.

As for Puel. He gets a lot of stick because he just isnt very PR savvy IMO. But he is solid enough, realistically the poorest managerial appointment we have made under the new era in my honest opinion though. And I wouldnt break down if we replaced him.

He is ok though, done an ok job. If his substitutions and plan B options were better he would be a much much better manager though.

Would everyone be happy to:

Swap Puel for Eddie Howe this summer?

Or

Swap Puel for Marco Silva this summer?

No to both. I would like to see what Puel can do over the summer and into next season. Let's face it, this season is now finished for us, we may as well now get a few more results and let him tinker around like an extended preseason.