General election? June 8th?

trousers

The NI Unionists

just saying that on 5Live

Talking that the Conservatives will be in government but it will only be a matter of time before May steps aside.

For Corbyn to be PM, he will need to command an extraordinary coalition, which is very unlikely given he is way short of seats along with the collapse of the SNP

You have wonder what the result would have been if Labour had an electable leader.

Tories are a complete mess if this is all they could manage against an IRA supporting Marxist.

You still don't get it that this proves he is totally electable. May is not fit to lead. She lost a 20 point lead all by herself.

I'm delighted with the result.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You have wonder what the result would have been if Labour had an electable leader.

Tories are a complete mess if this is all they could manage against an IRA supporting Marxist.

they would have won. I am very much a conservative and even I was swaying with voting for Labour. It was Corbyn, McDonell and more so, Abbott that stopped me.

You still don't get it that this proves he is totally electable. May is not fit to lead. She lost a 20 point lead all by herself.

I'm delighted with the result.

Corbyn has done well but with a David Milliband or similar in charge and a slight shift to the right they would have walked this election.

Corbyn has done well but with a David Milliband or similar in charge and a slight shift to the right they would have walked this election.

agree with that, just said on the radio that for all of Labour's celebration, they will be about 6 seats up from the 2010 result

In the course of three votes, the Tories have vastly weakened themselves.

In the last election, because of their majority they were forced to agree to a referendum.

Despite massively backing Remain, they lost.

Now, through awful, weak, pathetic leadership, an awful manifesto and the most arrogant campaign, they have lost their majority. Almost as if they want to get out of Brexit, as I suggested a few thousand posts back.

Where are you now, Nolan?

In the course of three votes, the Tories have vastly weakened themselves.

In the last election, because of their majority they were forced to agree to a referendum.

Despite massively backing Remain, they lost.

Now, through awful, weak, pathetic leadership, an awful manifesto and the most arrogant campaign, they have lost their majority. Almost as if they want to get out of Brexit, as I suggested a few thousand posts back.

Where are you now, Nolan?

Here.

I expect a leadership election imminently and a general election before the end of the year.

(hopefully after they've sorted out their ludicrously unclear schools and social care policies)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Speculating now on 5Live, that it is inevitable that it will be a conservative government as the maths do not add up to get Labour close enough.

May to remain as PM and could step down as leader, retain the role until a new bod is elected later in the year.

Also, this is a big moral victory for jezza is anything

A Tory MP said it was in the bag until they insulted their core vote with the social care part of the campaign. The party then shot themselves in the face

Basically, saying Scotland has probably saved them from being ousted from Government

Edited by Batman

I think that type of brexit is now todays bog-roll

lol

The director of momentum on now saying this result proves beyond doubt that Corbyn can win a general election....then got a bit funny with the presenter when it was pointed out he didnt win and despite the spin, is well short of winning.

Edited by Batman

Well all those predictions of a massive landslide by our resident sneering Tories seem a bit funny now. Despite the Tories trying to rig the election by changing the constituency boundaries in their favour, and the savage (and frankly disgraceful) smear campaign against Corbyn, May's gamble has spectacularly backfired.

Of course, we do face a period of uncertainty now, but I am delighted that the electorate have prevented May from driving us off the hard Brexit cliff.

(21st April 2017)

I'm going to stick my neck out and predict that, contrary to all the polls, the Tories won't win an overall majority...

You heard it here first (and probably last)

:)

Trousers, I have to hand it to you, you're an absolute genius, even if I say so myself. You called it 6 weeks ago. Fair play to you sir.

Fair play to Labour for pulling out a decent result in the face of an unrelenting, disgusting mainstrem media campaign led by the Sun, Mail et al. Also well done to the youth for finally getting out and making their vote count.

Royston Smith is a jammy bastard.

I think we've got to accept that had Labour had a competent leader, we would have lost.

Yes and no. Corbyn campaigned really well, built up momentum and gave people something to get behind.

Look at it the other way, despite an utterly abysmal campaign, and very poor leadership, the tories still 50+ more seats than Labour. Put a charismatic leader in charge of the tories and run a remotely decent campaign and they're miles ahead. Can Corbyn or equivalent harness the same support for Labour in the long run, I'm not sure.

First election ever where I didn't want any of them to win and the first I've every voted tactically. Hopefully this means a soft brexit now and the removal of May and her cronies. As a traditional tory supporter who voted Remain this is probably the hardest choice I've ever had to make about were to cast my vote.

Yes and no. Corbyn campaigned really well, built up momentum and gave people something to get behind.

Look at it the other way, despite an utterly abysmal campaign, and very poor leadership, the tories still 50+ more seats than Labour. Put a charismatic leader in charge of the tories and run a remotely decent campaign and they're miles ahead. Can Corbyn or equivalent harness the same support for Labour in the long run, I'm not sure.

Or you could propose that with a united party Labour could have done even better. As much as this is a slap in the face for the Tories, this is also a rebuke to those MPs within the Labour party that constantly rebelled and briefed against him. For all the talk of imagine if a competent leader was in charge of the PLP people need to remember that they probably wouldn't have campaigned on the same policies. This has shown that actually people are happy to vote for privatisation, for investment and for a fairer society. I would also imagine that it'll show that these policies are enough to convince young people to come out and vote. If, as I hope, this results in Labour becoming a united force then Corbyn will probably look much more competent.

I think we've got to accept that had Labour had a competent leader, we would have lost.

All those Tories that joined the Labour Party to vote him in must be high fiving each other today then

Conservatives are the largest party but it would be interesting to see what percentage of the popular vote went to left wing parties (Labour, lim dem, snp, greens and PC) as opposed to right wing (Tory and UKIP).

Looks like Tories + UKip c47% Lab/LD/SNP/Plaid/Green c52%, NI + Independents and others 1% (my figures from a couple of hours ago but won't be far off final totals).

Despite people still dribbling on this morning about Corbyn being unelectable it looks like the coalition of chaos has got the momentum to win a re-run in October and has got huge numbers of young people registered and voting.

The Tories not looking quite so born-to-rule this morning.

Doesn't that partially assumes that a significant number of people don't change their political outlook as they get older?

True, more people could go to Labour if they sort their leader out.

there is obviously a big generational issue. Loads of old people clinging onto wealth they think they have earned while the young suffer and pay for the oldies debts.

Future looks red to me.

Depends on turnout among younger voters. Ashcroft's charts say nothing about that.

The good news for labour is that if young voters voted en masse, as reports suggest, it was in an election that was actually exciting and close -as opposed to a damp squib. This experience makes it much more likely that they'll turn out and vote next time too.

Firstly, like many others to be fair, I did not see this one coming - not at all. Secondly, this election will surely go down as the biggest political miscalculation this nation has seen since David Cameron got the Brexit referendum call so monumentally wrong. Tory incompetence knows no end obviously. On a personal note, for just about the first time in my adult life I didn't myself vote - because none of the serious parties were offering anything I thought worth voting for frankly.

As for the much bigger question of our future in Europe, perhaps many of our political class are waking up this morning with a better understanding of the consequences of ignoring the expressed wishes of 48.1% of the British people.