General election? June 8th?

trousers

@George_Osborne

U-turn coming on social care. There will be a cap. Read today's @EveningStandard for the details

So 4 days after publishing their manifesto where they rejected Andrew Dilnot's idea of a cap on social care costs, May has decided that there will be one.

Bit embarrassing after her ministers spent the weekend saying that a cap wasn't feasible.

is this strong and stable leadership?

Quite so, Brian. But are you going to tell the fanboys or am I, that they and May are on the same page re: Corbyn's annihilation/ascension on 8 June?

Hi Frbl. How are you?

You might not know, because you prob ain't upto date with papsweb, but corbyn is actually v.likely to win the upcoming election. Probably quite a large margin too! Pap has made quite a lot of memes about it, and videos. Pap has also been door-to-door canvassing for corbyn, but I think only in Liverpool, so don't worry, it shouldn't cost Labour too many votes nationally.

Sounds like quite a few on here have been brainwashed by the tory press and their anti-corbyn agenda! I have been hearing quite a lot about that. I should watch out for that, if I was you!

What is the current gig on the social care tax thing with the £23k threshold?

If you go into a care home you have to sell your house. And get to keep 23k.

Didn't apply to people who recieved care in their own home.

The new thing would apply to everyone, but you'd remain with 77k more than currently. (100k rather than 23k)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That could be true I suppose. I can't imagine there are many in the electorate (even Tory supporters) who do not want a normal Labour party with policies and ideas they can vote for. This country is crying out for someone with an exciting vision who doesn't have loony radicals ideas on both sides of the political spectrum. What we have at the moment is terrible for democracy.

The amount of Tory U-turns since the looney communists Red Ed (lol!) and Steptoe (double lol!) have lead Labour has been remarkably high for such a weak opposition. I just dont understand.

Edited by Jonnyboy

She is being interviewed by the best interviewer in the Country. I Look forward to how the remainder of the leaders cope with Brillo.

Didn't think it was particularly tough as he had to cover lots of ground and so couldn't pin her down for very long.

Hi Frbl. How are you?

You might not know, because you prob ain't upto date with papsweb, but corbyn is actually v.likely to win the upcoming election. Probably quite a large margin too! Pap has made quite a lot of memes about it, and videos. Pap has also been door-to-door canvassing for corbyn, but I think only in Liverpool, so don't worry, it shouldn't cost Labour too many votes nationally.

Sounds like quite a few on here have been brainwashed by the tory press and their anti-corbyn agenda! I have been hearing quite a lot about that. I should watch out for that, if I was you!

:lol:

The amount of Tory U-turns since the looney communists Red Ed (lol!) and Steptoe (double lol!) have lead Labour has been remarkably high for such a weak opposition. I just dont understand.

You're hopelessly biased and lost. Corbyn is utterly unelectable and a terrible leader with some awful flaws. May has been totally uninspiring and will win by default. It's depressing.

May is doing her best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

What complete and utter cluster **** by the tories.

It will be like missing an open goal from a couple of inches out

Would be no bad thing imo. None of them are really up to the job of leading so its better if we get a hung Parliament.

Edited by buctootim

Would be no bad thing imo. None of them are really up to the job of leading so its better if we get a hung Parliament.

The current crop of politicians is the worst I've seen in my lifetime. That applies to all parties... I spoilt my ballot at the last election. I will spoil it again this time round.

Enough spoiled ballot papers may just get the message through..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You're hopelessly biased and lost. Corbyn is utterly unelectable and a terrible leader with some awful flaws. May has been totally uninspiring and will win by default. It's depressing.

I probably am quite bias but its plainly nonsense to say Corbyn is unelectable. His entire career has been based on repeatedly getting elected.

Unfortunately its not paranoia to say the 5 billionaires that own most British papers between them have been on a relentless campaign to brand him unelectable.

Hi Frbl. How are you?

Thanks for the bulletin, Brian. I’m not utterly surprised to hear that the humourless homunculus has become a fulltime member of the cult. One or two of his **** holsters evidently post on here – no idea how they could stoop so low.

I probably am quite bias but its plainly nonsense to say Corbyn is unelectable. His entire career has been based on repeatedly getting elected.

Unfortunately its not paranoia to say the 5 billionaires that own most British papers between them have been on a relentless campaign to brand him unelectable.

Being elected MP for Islington North is not evidence of being electable - Jeffrey Dahmer in a red rosette would walk Islington North.

And neither does his victories in the Labour leadership elections. As we will soon see, the Labour membership is not the population.

If Labour had anything remotely resembling a competent or electable leader (two different things, Corbyn is neither) then May wouldn't have called the election.

Enjoy the two weeks from polling day bounce, it will soon pass.

The great tragedy here is this is an election Labour could have won, the Tory record is weak and their top team really isn't special, and they've made a dog's dinner of an open goal election so far. I won't forgive Corbyn and the idiots that surround him for destroying Labour as an electoral force for a decade.

Being elected MP for Islington North is not evidence of being electable - Jeffrey Dahmer in a red rosette would walk Islington North.

And neither does his victories in the Labour leadership elections. As we will soon see, the Labour membership is not the population.

If Labour had anything remotely resembling a competent or electable leader (two different things, Corbyn is neither) then May wouldn't have called the election.

The great tragedy here is this is an election Labour could have won, the Tory record is weak and their top team really isn't special, and they've made a dog's dinner of an open goal election so far. I won't forgive Corbyn and the idiots that surround him for destroying Labour as an electoral force for a decade.

Ive read all your same arguments before for the last two years. All its done is let the Tories get stronger. Its time get with the programme, new labour is dead. Either youre a May Tory or youre a Corbyn Labour. Its a clear choice. I think its sad that voters like yourself cant bring themselves to vote for a Labour manifesto that is so positive and really not that different to any Labour philosophy through the decades.

Ive read all your same arguments before for the last two years. All its done is let the Tories get stronger. Its time get with the programme, new labour is dead. Either youre a May Tory or youre a Corbyn Labour. Its a clear choice. I think its sad that voters like yourself cant bring themselves to vote for a Labour manifesto that is so positive and really not that different to any Labour philosophy through the decades.

It's not really about policies, it's about Corbyn being utterly inept. He can't run a press office, he's got no hope of running a government. He's never run anything. The policies are barely discernable from Miliband's manifesto but that apparently was just like voting Tory, weren't it, tho?

Just remember your years of "Red Tory" snide guff on here and bear that in mind when you remember which Labour leader results in delivering the biggest Conservative majority in generations.

This election could have been a Labour triumph. It won't be. "Fu ck off to the Tories then" they said with their little placards and comedy t-shirts. Guess what, they effing well will. Well done. Try owning it instead of grizzling about the media.

But them rallies were good weren't they?

The blame lies with McCluskey and his predecessors. The politicians are just puppets.

It's not really about policies, it's about Corbyn being utterly inept. He can't run a press office, he's got no hope of running a government. He's never run anything. The policies are barely discernable from Miliband's manifesto but that apparently was just like voting Tory, weren't it, tho?

Just remember your years of "Red Tory" snide guff on here and bear that in mind when you remember which Labour leader results in delivering the biggest Conservative majority in generations.

This election could have been a Labour triumph. It won't be. "Fu ck off to the Tories then" they said with their little placards and comedy t-shirts. Guess what, they effing well will. Well done. Try owning it instead of grizzling about the media.

But them rallies were good weren't they?

Sadly, that's pretty much nailed it. Corbyn is the Trump equivalent - not in policies, but in competence. I guess his popularity is a rally against the 'career politician' whatever that means.

Which makes politics pretty d*mn depressing at the moment.

I've not decided which way I'm voting yet. Definitely not Tory (would rather die). But Corbyn is my MP and I'm pretty d*mn p*ssed off with him and his band of idiots. Brexit protest is an option, even if just for my own therapy.

Sadly, that's pretty much nailed it. Corbyn is the Trump equivalent - not in policies, but in competence. I guess his popularity is a rally against the 'career politician' whatever that means.

Which makes politics pretty d*mn depressing at the moment.

I've not decided which way I'm voting yet. Definitely not Tory (would rather die). But Corbyn is my MP and I'm pretty d*mn p*ssed off with him and his band of idiots. Brexit protest is an option, even if just for my own therapy.

Competence? Corbyn and Trump are in no way comparable and Corbyn is a career politician.

They kind of are. Both outliers, not part the established party hierachy

Corbyn is a career politician. Trump isn't. Corbyn is thoroughly conventional when compared to Trump. Corbyn is closer to Sanders (even if he is much less likeable and competent than Sanders).

Corbyn is a career politician. Trump isn't. Corbyn is thoroughly conventional when compared to Trump. Corbyn is closer to Sanders (even if he is much less likeable and competent than Sanders).

I don't think Sanders has ever come across as incompetent? Whereas Corbyn definitely does, hence why I'm bundling two clearly very different politicians in a similar camp. A lot of people, both sides of the Atlantic, don't seem that fussed by the question of whether either are competent enough to run the country. Corbyn may technically be a career politician (again, whatever that means) but his appeal seems to be in that he's considered a 'man with principles' (whatever that means) and the 'career' bit gets ignored. The illusion that we don't like 'career politicians' anymore so we're prepared to consider a buffoon (Trump) or a blundering nice-guy (Corbyn, just don't mention the iRA), could get both countries into a bit of a mess.

As far as I can tell, a lot of this is based on perceived lack for trust for politicians/politics and the little rules we make up in our heads for why one person is 'ok' and another 'not'. As well as a lot of other things, of course. Risky experiment.

Corbyns response to Manchester yesterday left me absolutely furious. A weak ass mumbling response to a horrendous attack. The man is not fit to lead.

Corbyns response to Manchester yesterday left me absolutely furious. A weak ass mumbling response to a horrendous attack. The man is not fit to lead.

This really. I see myself and socio-left but economic-mid/right leaning. For that reason alone I usually vote where my heart tells me the strongest leader is. This time round I'm torn between the insect limbed freak that heads the Tory party and the wet blanket in Labour. Terrible situation to be in for our country.

You been reading too much order-order little fella. You need to take a break and get out a bit more.

I'm perfectly capable of figuring out for myself that Corbyn and Abbott would not be capable of responding so you can stop the condescending rubbish right now.

As if it couldn't get worse for Corbyn. The LBC political editor Theo Usherwood has just tweeted a video of a lady heckling the police and army at Downing Street. She was wearing a Jeremy Corbyn bag emblazoned with the word 'hope'.

As if it couldn't get worse for Corbyn. The LBC political editor Theo Usherwood has just tweeted a video of a lady heckling the police and army at Downing Street. She was wearing a Jeremy Corbyn bag emblazoned with the word 'hope'.

And I don't hold it against May that you're a Tory. Seriously get some fresh air and a bit of perspective, little fella.

She was heckling the occupant of Downing Street, not the police, not the army. Facts huh? who needs em?

She was heckling the occupant of Downing Street, not the police, not the army. Facts huh? who needs em?

Not according to the people who were there.

What the **** is a "Jeremy Corbyn bag"?

I think we have to question the mental well-being of anyone in possession of such a thing and it's a hot day so let's not give her a hard time.

Let's put the kettle on and have a nice cuppa out of our Theresa the Leader mug.

(21st April 2017)

I'm going to stick my neck out and predict that, contrary to all the polls, the Tories won't win an overall majority...

You heard it here first (and probably last)

:)

If the recent polls are anything to go by (yes, I know... "polls"... chortle... etc), it's beginning to look like this prophecy might not have been as bonkers as it first seemed...

If the recent polls are anything to go by (yes, I know... "polls"... chortle... etc), it's beginning to look like this prophecy might not have been as bonkers as it first seemed...

I'm utterly astounded that the Tories have fecked this up so badly. Their manifesto was so uninspiring and lacking in hope that I feel that some will vote the fantasy manifesto of labour simply because it offers some sort of optimism. If the Tories get a reduced or non existent majority then they really will only have themselves to blame.

I'm utterly astounded that the Tories have fecked this up so badly.

Surprised but not astounded - although in retrospect the signs were there. May was a pretty useless Home Secretary and the fact that her two main communications people walked out shortly before the campaign launch speaks volumes. The cult of personality thing she tried was just plain North Korea weird.

https://www.ft.com/content/b8761bc8-2688-11e7-a34a-538b4cb30025

Edited by buctootim

Nope it's still as bonkers as it was when you wrote it.

Narrowing of the polls suits May & The Tories. It'll concentrate the minds of the voters. If you can say "vote for us or you'll get Steptoe" & people believe it, that's perfect. It'll stop people voting to keep the majority down.

I think Corbyn will rack up votes in metropolitan liberal areas, but the marginals will all go blue. The perfect result for Tories is a massive majority but Steptoe gets a higher % of the vote than Milliband did. He may get to stay on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Neil Kinnock led the Labour party into the 1987 general election - the one after the disastrous Foot election of 1983 - he got within 4% of Thatcher in the opinion polls. Thatcher's majority on election day was 102.

Nope it's still as bonkers as it was when you wrote it.

Narrowing of the polls suits May & The Tories. It'll concentrate the minds of the voters. If you can say "vote for us or you'll get Steptoe" & people believe it, that's perfect. It'll stop people voting to keep the majority down.

I think Corbyn will rack up votes in metropolitan liberal areas, but the marginals will all go blue. The perfect result for Tories is a massive majority but Steptoe gets a higher % of the vote than Milliband did. He may get to stay on

Corbyn - Stop dropping bombs in the middle east and fully fund our police and security forces to deal with any domestic threats. Scrap bedroom tax, scrap tuition fees, decent wages for Nurses and free training. Why would you vote against that?

What's the alternative? More police cuts, 24 A+E's earmarked for closure, pay for your own social care, tax cuts for the wealthy,social security cuts for the British Public, students coming out of UNI in debt just for wanting an Education, more zero hour exploitation, Kill foxes and scrap laws protecting Elephant ivory, Continue to sell weapons to Islamic regimes and sell off what's left of our public services to foreign investors.

Wow tough choice isn't it.