General election? June 8th?

trousers

Anyone else reckon Liberal Democrat popularity will go through the roof due to hoovering up the 'remain' voters....? Wouldn't surprise me if they push Labour into third place.

p.s. Mods - feel free to delete the question marks in the thread title now :)

My constituency is rock solid Tory but voted remain in the referendum. The constituency next to mine in Lewes is marginal Lib Dem / conservative. Im hoping the LDs can swing it but its going to be an absolute cluster**** for Labour. If only they had ditched him before this.

If Labour had a decent centre-left leader and stood on a remain mandate I actually think they would have a decent chance of winning.

With Corbyn in charge they have no chance so I guess there will be some Labour MPs defecting to the Lib Dems. The whole thing is a bit of a mess.

Corbyn will bury the Labour party in three stages: first with a disastrous outcome in the 4 May local elections, second by slashing Labour's representation in the Commons the 8 June general election, and thirdly, despite all that, by staying on as leader of the party.

Nobody knows if A50 is reversible as it's never been triggered before. Legal opinion is divided & there is a court case scheduled in Dublin to test whether it is or not. Perhaps posters on here know more than the finest legal brains, but I doubt it. Not that it matters anyway, no party including the lib dumbs will go into this election promising to withdraw A50, they haven't got the balls to stick to their principles. There will be weasel words around The Single Market followed by a promise of another referendum on the outcome of negotiations. What ever happens the Tories & Labour will the policy of continuing with the process & they're the only parties that matter.

The funniest thing about today is the lefties who have spent months complaining May hasn't got a mandate complaining that she's seeking one.

With the threat of UKIP splitting their vote gone the Tories will be returned with an increased majority. Marginal Tory /Labour after marginal Tory / labour constituencies will fall to the Tories & any lib dumb revival will come at the expense of labour. The South West is an area where Tories might have been under pressure, but most of it was strongly for Brexit. The stronger Farron goes for remainers in labour held remain seats the more he'll insure the south west will stay Tory .

Some people on here seem to think they'll be a shock & I agree with them. However, where I disagree is the nature of the shock. I think the Tories are going to absolutely smash this one, even winning 2 or 3 more seats in Scotland. They'll have their best result in Wales for years . They're headed for a 50 seat majority, minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i voted consertives the last 3 elections but will be voteing liberal democrats this time round,i think its a disgrace that may is useing it for party political advantage rather than the national interest,there is no need for a election has they already have a majority, i sick of the fact they also doubled the national debt to 2 trillion and are going to borrow loads more over the coming years .i think may has a poor track recordin politics and she is no maggie thatcher and i also believe in progresive politics rather than the fantasy world of being stronger on our own,the real world does not work like that and as for labour the sooner they get rid of corybn the better,hes even worse than may.

How on earth is this not in the National Interest?

You've got Labour, lib dems, SNP all vying to disrupt Brexit. The Lords will not vote against a ruling parties manifesto pledges. Therefore if you want the best deal possible. Which had to be accomplished as article 50 has been enacted. Then you want the strongest negotiating hands possible. You either vote conservative or you have a coalition. Simple as that.

Nobody knows if A50 is reversible as it's never been triggered before. Legal opinion is divided & there is a court case scheduled in Dublin to test whether it is or not. Perhaps posters on here know more than the finest legal brains, but I doubt it. Not that it matters anyway, no party including the lib dumbs will go into this election promising to withdraw A50, they haven't got the balls to stick to their principles. There will be weasel words around The Single Market followed by a promise of another referendum on the outcome of negotiations. What ever happens the Tories & Labour will the policy of continuing with the process & they're the only parties that matter.

The funniest thing about today is the lefties who have spent months complaining May hasn't got a mandate complaining that she's seeking one.

With the threat of UKIP splitting their vote gone the Tories will be returned with an increased majority. Marginal Tory /Labour after marginal Tory / labour constituencies will fall to the Tories & any lib dumb revival will come at the expense of labour. The South West is an area where Tories might have been under pressure, but most of it was strongly for Brexit. The stronger Farron goes for remainers in labour held remain seats the more he'll insure the south west will stay Tory .

Some people on here seem to think they'll be a shock & I agree with them. However, where I disagree is the nature of the shock. I think the Tories are going to absolutely smash this one, even winning 2 or 3 more seats in Scotland. They'll have their best result in Wales for years . They're headed for a 50 seat majority, minimum.

You're probably right, but this is a win win option for May.

Win with a big majority, and she can press ahead with no opposition. Unlikely, but if she's forced back into coalition and has to revoke A50 (which plenty of senior Tories are desperate to do), and she's got someone to blame.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How on earth is this not in the National Interest?

You've got Labour, lib dems, SNP all vying to disrupt Brexit. The Lords will not vote against a ruling parties manifesto pledges. Therefore if you want the best deal possible. Which had to be accomplished as article 50 has been enacted. Then you want the strongest negotiating hands possible. You either vote conservative or you have a coalition. Simple as that.

She's got a majority already and just playing politics to get a bigger majority, won't make no difference to the negotiations at all ,or she would have done this along time ago,..I'm more interested in the real world and how we deal with our massive debts and that inflation running at 3.1 RPI and how they are going to deal with it has I'm poorer now with price rises in my weekly shop and hikes in electric and gas bills.there is no need for a election at all.

Sent from my Be Touch 3 using Tapatalk

She's got a majority already and just playing politics to get a bigger majority, won't make no difference to the negotiations at all ,or she would have done this along time ago,..I'm more interested in the real world and how we deal with our massive debts and that inflation running at 3.1 RPI and how they are going to deal with it has I'm poorer now with price rises in my weekly shop and hikes in electric and gas bills.there is no need for a election at all.

Nearly every single political discussion with labour, snp or lib dem politician ends up with them claiming she "hasn't got a mandate " . Were they wrong?

Nearly every single political discussion with labour, snp or lib dem politician ends up with them claiming she "hasn't got a mandate " . Were they wrong?

I voted for a conservative government to run its term and could not care what the opposition claims, I want the deficit dealt with and inflation under control ,not self interest for party interests and prefer governments with small majority s has it makes for better government when they have to have to work with others and govern for all the nation.

Every single discussion?

Pony, Lord P. Think your personal hard-on for the Gordon Brown premiership is muddling your brain. Where 'mandate' has been invoked by the opposition, it has been in relation to the type of Brexit deal pursued, not the electoral credentials of the PM and would be levelled at whoever was pursing it, whether elected or not.

Edited by shurlock

Pony, Lord P. Think your personal hard-on for the Gordon Brown premiership is muddling your brain. Where 'mandate' has been invoked by the opposition, it has been in relation to the type of Brexit deal pursued, not the electoral credentials of the PM and would be levelled at whoever was pursing it, whether elected or not.

Lol what a pile of pony . " Hard on for Gordon Brown" yeah that'll be me, new labour to the core.

She's now going to ask for a mandate for her type of Brexit, thanks for backing up my point

Lol what a pile of pony . " Hard on for Gordon Brown" yeah that'll be me, new labour to the core.

She's now going to ask for a mandate for her type of Brexit, thanks for backing up my point

No Lord P. You seemed to have a problem that the one-eyed sweatie was unelected -alas you're projecting and assuming the opposition feels the same towards May. Again where's the evidence that every discussion has been about May's lack of an electoral mandate? Perhaps you're making things up again and are just a lily-livered apologist for a power grab by a control freak (not only against the opposition but also members of her own party). Nothing wrong with realpolitik, if you're that way inclined, though spare us the moralising horses**t.

Likewise you think May's suddenly going to provide detail on her type of Brexit beyond facile platitudes when she's flatly refused to do so to date on the grounds that it would weaken her hand :lol:

Or is your claim that she's omniscient and knows exactly what kind of deal she'll obtain after two years of complex, uncertain negotiations, even though negotiations haven't started yet :lol:

Dream on, little kipper.

Edited by shurlock

Agreed the LibDems got it wrong over student fees, but they were successful in moderating the Tories in many other ways, now largely forgotten.

Absolutely right. Who could ever forget their crowning glory, the Fixed Term Parliaments Act

thank god i don,t buy the newspapers nowdays , the owners propganda sheets as they seemed to aimed at the politically stupid and there made up stories i will not then have to put up with the b ull sh it over the next 7 weeks ,i think i might book a holiday to avoid this needless election to spain and soak up the sun and relax while the two faced mps play the public like puppets again.

thank god i don,t buy the newspapers nowdays , the owners propganda sheets as they seemed to aimed at the politically stupid and there made up stories i will not then have to put up with the b ull sh it over the next 7 weeks ,i think i might book a holiday to avoid this needless election to spain and soak up the sun and relax while the two faced mps play the public like puppets again.

May's refusing to participate in TV debates, so that's one consolation, though slightly odd coming from someone who's made this election about their 'leadership' and 'mandate'.

We live in strange times for sure, but right now I can't see anything other than a Tory win here - quite possibly of "landslide" proportions. For Labour its looks like electoral disaster awaits - but that might be just what the Party needs to start on the long road to recovery under a new leader that is acceptable to the British public I also expect a Lib-Dem resurgence - 30 seats perhaps? What is UKIP for now?

May's refusing to participate in TV debates, so that's one consolation, though slightly odd coming from someone who's made this election about their 'leadership' and 'mandate'.

But the problem with TV debates in this country it's essentially a pile on against the incumbent leader.

Not to mention its all sound bytes. People are better off actually reading manifestos.

i agree a strong leader would not run away thats why i think she is weak and no need for the election especially when you got a weak leader as corybn labour leader,shes b ull s hitting but i expect she will get her way,i personally i,m more worried by our massive 2 trillion debt as a country and inflation getting out of controlagain and people maxing out on credit card debt and borrowing and thats in the good times,hate to think what will happen when interst rates start rising and can see us going into recession in the next few years,

Heard (well Twitter) that Downing st also thought Corbyn may resign after local elections.

That's a strange take, presumably then they've factored in Corbyn resigning and him being replaced by a half-competent 'new' caretaker manager, and that they could still win with some to spare? Would have thought Corbyn was the Tories nailed-on win card; take Corbyn out of the equation and they might just find they are nowhere near as popular/omnipresent as they believe themselves to be.

That's a strange take, presumably then they've factored in Corbyn resigning and him being replaced by a half-competent 'new' caretaker manager, and that they could still win with some to spare? Would have thought Corbyn was the Tories nailed-on win card; take Corbyn out of the equation and they might just find they are nowhere near as popular/omnipresent as they believe themselves to be.

I cant see Corbyn resigning, he seems to think the bulk of the party is behind him. If true I guess the Tory thinking is that they'd rather face a leaderless Labour in June than one with a new, possibly very electable, leader in two or three years time.

Also very odd to cite the reason for calling the election as Westminster being divided. I thought that was the point. Nobody wants parliamentary democracy where everyone agrees with each other - you'd end up as North Korea.

Like a political Rorschach test, curious how people are projecting contradictory meanings into May's decision to call an election: true believers like IDS think a victory will give May the mandate to neutralise opposition parties and the Lords that might obstruct a hard Brexit; yet others think it will give her the flexibility to pursue a softer settlement -indeed that was the interpretation of the currency markets today.

Someone's going to be disappointed.

Very sensible decision, although this should have happened six months ago.

The referendum "no" vote should have precipitated this sooner. No major party campaigned with a unified voice for "out", other than UKIP, so it makes sense for there to be a chance for manifestos to be re-written in light of the vote and put to the public vote.

Like a political Rorschach test, curious how people are projecting contradictory meanings into May's decision to call an election: true believers like IDS think a victory will give May the mandate to neutralise opposition parties and the Lords that might obstruct a hard Brexit; yet others think it will give her the flexibility to pursue a softer settlement -indeed that was the interpretation of the currency markets today.

Someone's going to be disappointed.

You'd have to think there's more than 'someone' who is going to be disappointed.

c45% will vote for Tory/UKIP/other right wing parties, and that vote covers all of the spectrum from hard to soft Brexit (which is huge) notwithstanding a significant minority of Tory voters who are remainers any way.

Rather more will vote for Lab/Lib/SNP/Green and other left wing parties, the majority of these will be remainers (but with a significant minority of leavers).

For an added bonus ball we won't actually get to see what we're voting 'for' for another two years.

My money says the majority will ultimately be disappointed and only a minority will get what they actually want.

Intriguing that although Labour were fined for use of the "labour express" for moving activists between seats in the last general election nothings been passed to the CPS​ on that one. Would hate to think the Police federation Union was playing favourites.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This, IMO, is highly relevant.

Apart from the bad publicity these cases will give the Tories, in theory they could, if the officials are found guilty, be forced into a whole batch of by-elections in marginal seats, even threatening their majority.

Now there's going to be a GE, the cases will still be heard but no by-elections would be required as the GE results would already have superceded the last election. Very convenient.

News about Tim Farron's homophobia and Blair possibly campaigning for the Lib Dem's with Lib Dems projected to win about 8 seats.

That first part is not going to go away.

And the Daily Fail launching into this story will sadly set the tone for the campaign. A repeat of the lies and misinformation of the referendum campaign .

Our right-wing press are now so uncontrolled they can peddle any slurs, lies and rubbish to be lapped up by the unthinking masses, without fear of challenge.

And the Daily Fail launching into this story will sadly set the tone for the campaign. A repeat of the lies and misinformation of the referendum campaign .

Our right-wing press are now so uncontrolled they can peddle any slurs, lies and rubbish to be lapped up by the unthinking masses, without fear of challenge.

are you saying he never refused to answer if being Gay is a sin?

what would you think if a nasty Tory had refused to answer that question.........in fact, no need to respond

What lies?

It actually came from yesterday evenings Channel 4 news... Probably not known as the most right wing place.

are you saying he never refused to answer if being Gay is a sin?

what would you think if a nasty Tory had refused to answer that question.........in fact, no need to respond

I would imagine that anyone, of any political persuasion, following deep religious convictions, would find the question difficult to reconcile.

I would imagine that anyone, of any political persuasion, following deep religious convictions, would find the question difficult to reconcile.

and would you be dismissing it had a leading Tory or the PM herself had said it?

you probably wont answer but hey ho

For example, that coming out of the EU would benefit the NHS to the tune of £300m a week.

A claim quickly withdrawn after the referendum.

what does that have to do with the leader of the Liberal Democrats perhaps suggesting that being Homosexual is a sin?

Nothing. Follow the argument.

you are the one taking it away and refusing to answer if you would be as dismissive had a leading Tory/Prime Minister had said it.

guess you cant be seen to be hypocritical.....which is fair enough

guess you will be voting for a party that is lead by a chap who looks like he believes that being Gay is a sin. Just because you do not like the Daily Mail/BREXIT/Tory's

each to their own

For example, that coming out of the EU would benefit the NHS to the tune of £300m a week.

A claim quickly withdrawn after the referendum.

Or that a vote for Brexit would mean an immediate punishment budget.

Well he won't resign now meaning they are in stronger position by calling it than If they waited til after locals and then couldn't do it without a leader of opposition. Well suppose they could but wouldn't seem on.