General election? June 8th?

trousers

Depends on turnout among younger voters. Ashcroft's charts say nothing about that.

The good news for labour is that if young voters voted en masse, as reports suggest, it was in an election that was actually exciting and close -as opposed to a damp squib. This experience makes it much more likely that they'll turn out and vote next time too.

72% reported (18-25)

Firstly, like many others to be fair, I did not see this one coming - not at all. Secondly, this election will surely go down as the biggest political miscalculation this nation has seen since David Cameron got the Brexit referendum call so monumentally wrong. Tory incompetence knows no end obviously. On a personal note, for just about the first time in my adult life I didn't myself vote - because none of the serious parties were offering anything I thought worth voting for frankly.

As for the much bigger question of our future in Europe, perhaps many of our political class are waking up this morning with a better understanding of the consequences of ignoring the expressed wishes of 48.1% of the British people.

Our forefathers fought those fanatical Christian Nazis to ensure you had the vote Charlie. Poor show.

It was a good night for me.

I launched a "none of the above" party yesterday, campaigning for the inclusion of a none of the above box on ballot papers. I got quite a few votes... watch this space...

Might give Elmo a run for his money.

Our forefathers fought those fanatical Christian Nazis to ensure you had the vote Charlie. Poor show.

I couldn't possibly vote for the Tories because I just cannot bring myself to support anything that looks like a "Hard Bretix" fate for this nation. I can't vote for Labour either because any fool can see that having a Marxist as Chancellor of the Exchequer will end (very) badly. I'm closest politically to the Lib Dems perhaps - but that would just be a meaningless protest vote where I live.

So a case "none of the above" then.

So at the end of the day May continues to govern with the aid of the N.Irish right, who incidentally get whatever they want, and

all the rest gang up on that pair trying to gain something for the next time round. As Sinn Fein won't take their seats again

May will have (in theory) 328 votes at her disposal against 315 for the rest, including 38 separatists. What a mess.........

So at the end of the day May continues to govern with the aid of the N.Irish right, who incidentally get whatever they want, and

all the rest gang up on that pair trying to gain something for the next time round. As Sinn Fein won't take their seats again

May will have (in theory) 328 votes at her disposal against 315 for the rest, including 38 separatists. What a mess.........

Good luck managing the Tories who are hopelessly split on Brexit. Wait till the Fab Four -Clarke, Soubry, Morgan and Grieve- start playing silly buggers over a softer Brexit. They alone could deny May a working majority.

And hopefully signals the end of Tabloid influence of it was The Sun what won it.

Although who knows the kids may want £10 Butlins holidays

Also those silly people who denigrate voters by claiming they only ever listen to the sun and can't think for themselves.

Or you could propose that with a united party Labour could have done even better. As much as this is a slap in the face for the Tories, this is also a rebuke to those MPs within the Labour party that constantly rebelled and briefed against him. For all the talk of imagine if a competent leader was in charge of the PLP people need to remember that they probably wouldn't have campaigned on the same policies. This has shown that actually people are happy to vote for privatisation, for investment and for a fairer society. I would also imagine that it'll show that these policies are enough to convince young people to come out and vote. If, as I hope, this results in Labour becoming a united force then Corbyn will probably look much more competent.
A few questions on that; will there eve be a fully united party behind Corbyn? Would Labour MPs put to one side their ideological differences if they thought it would get them into power? Also, does it matter - in the end it was Corbyn v May that made the difference (in the opposite way to what was originally anticipated) not much about what individual MPs did or said.

Also, can Corbyn and his followers keep it up or have they peaked? If this is a peak, versus one of the worst tory campaigns imaginable, they're still nearly 60 seats behind them.

Also, can Corbyn and his followers keep it up or have they peaked? If this is a peak, versus one of the worst tory campaigns imaginable, they're still nearly 60 seats behind them.

With only 2% difference in the total votes - the joy of FPTP.

I couldn't possibly vote for the Tories because I just cannot bring myself to support anything that looks like a "Hard Bretix" fate for this nation. I can't vote for Labour either because any fool can see that having a Marxist as Chancellor of the Exchequer will end (very) badly. I'm closest politically to the Lib Dems perhaps - but that would just be a meaningless protest vote where I live.

So a case "none of the above" then.

That's a vote for me then

Right, so the results are all but in and the Tories have won, but don't have a majority. Now what I don't understand is Corbyn going on about himself being PM. How is that possible? If Labour, the SNP and Lib Dem all join forces, the still don't have a majority (to be precise, they would still have fewer votes then the Tories). How could that work?

As an outsider it seems to me all the Tories have to do is strike a deal with the DUP and it's all done.

Could someone explain how it goes on from now?

Right, so the results are all but in and the Tories have won, but don't have a majority. Now what I don't understand is Corbyn going on about himself being PM. How is that possible? If Labour, the SNP and Lib Dem all join forces, the still don't have a majority (to be precise, they would still have fewer votes then the Tories). How could that work?

As an outsider it seems to me all the Tories have to do is strike a deal with the DUP and it's all done.

Could someone explain how it goes on from now?

You are correct. Corbyn is talking ********.

With only 2% difference in the total votes - the joy of FPTP.

And the Green Party get 1 MP from 524,604 votes.

The SNP get 35 MPs from 977,569 votes.

How can anyone possibly say we have a good electoral system? I wonder how many more, like me, would have voted Green if they thought the vote would actually count?

Also, Lib Dems have expressly ruled out a coalition with Tories or Labour.

I think we will rumble on with a Tory / DUP government for a bit, until May gets knifed. Goodness knows what after that.

First priority should be to seek an extension of the Article 50 two year countdown and park Brexit for a year or two!

And the Green Party get 1 MP from 524,604 votes.

The SNP get 35 MPs from 977,569 votes.

How can anyone possibly say we have a good electoral system? I wonder how many more, like me, would have voted Green if they thought the vote would actually count?

The FPTP argument getting wheeled out after every election. Boohoo it's not fair.

I think it works ok and who wants the Greens or UKIP anywhere near power

I think it works ok and who wants the Greens or UKIP anywhere near power

Over 500,000 people at the last count. I'm well chuffed with the election result so it's not a case of being a sore loser, I just think the current system is outdated.

No chance of that. Europe want to give us a kicking and it only takes one of the 27 to veto it for no extension.

Can we (legally) withdraw our Article 50 declaration? I seem to recall discussions on this in the media a while back and I think the conclusion was that it wasn't clear cut what was possible.

If it is possible to withdraw our intent to leave, then that would buy us as much time as we need to sort ourselves out.

Over 500,000 people at the last count. I'm well chuffed with the election result so it's not a case of being a sore loser, I just think the current system is outdated.

I like having a constituency with a local MP. I voted for Whitehead far more than any appeal of Corbyn.

System clearly favours the two main parties but I think an alternative will cause more chaos

Can we (legally) withdraw our Article 50 declaration? I seem to recall discussions on this in the media a while back and I think the conclusion was that it wasn't clear cut what was possible.

If it is possible to withdraw our intent to leave, then that would buy us as much time as we need to sort ourselves out.

Can we have a referendum again? Better the devil you know

I think it would be no problem if the EU backed it, but that would be to stay in not just delay exit I expect.

I think it would be no problem if the EU backed it, but that would be to stay in not just delay exit I expect.

Given the EU didn't want us to leave in the first place, I'm trying to understand why they would block a U-turn to stay

It does seem to work in favour of the more traditional powers. But equally, it kept UKIP and the BNP away from significant influence too. It does mitigate the crackpots as well as the smaller less harmful groups.

It does seem to work in favour of the more traditional powers. But equally, it kept UKIP and the BNP away from significant influence too. It does mitigate the crackpots as well as the smaller less harmful groups.

Why would you keep anybody away from being represented? This is a democracy, not dictatorship by the centre.

May's debt to Ruth Davidson is huge. Without the mould-breaking upswing in Scottish Tory fortunes (and some extraordinarily narrow squeaks), May would barely haver reached 300.

The single most damning measure of how badly May did in England is that Kensington and Chelsea, by far the richest constituency in the country, is too close to call.

EU Brexit negotiators must be relishing the chance to talk about a deal with someone this incompetent.

While a secound referendum is pie in the sky certainly in the short term, I think now the under 35 vote has been mobilsed remain would win easialy. On the election result May is mortally wounded, she may hang on for a few months but the Tory party dont back failures. We still have a long way to go before we will have any idea what where we are heading, one thing I predict is that Brexit does not mean Brexit.

Can we have a referendum again? Better the devil you know

True. 'Hard Brexit, take it or leave it', has proved to be May's undoing. The country was asked to vote for Brexit not knowing the terms of exit, as in cost terms (divorce bill) spurred on by Farage saying we will spend the £350M annual savings on the NHS. That has proved to be an incorrect statement (some may say 'lie'). As Brexit is now going to be costly, the next step has to be to re-wind and re-approve Brexit when the divorce cost is known. At 52%:48% last time it was not a majority in practical terms. Sorry, Teresa, go to the Brexit Council, pick up the bill and bring it back to the country, who will then vote to approve it or deny it. Vote again on Brexit when we know the real cost.

True. 'Hard Brexit, take it or leave it', has proved to be May's undoing. The country was asked to vote for Brexit not knowing the terms of exit, as in cost terms (divorce bill) spurred on by Farage saying we will spend the £350M annual savings on the NHS. That has proved to be an incorrect statement (some may say 'lie'). As Brexit is now going to be costly, the next step has to be to re-wind and re-approve Brexit when the divorce cost is known. At 52%:48% last time it was not a majority in practical terms. Sorry, Teresa, go to the Brexit Council, pick up the bill and bring it back to the country, who will then vote to approve it or deny it. Vote again on Brexit when we know the real cost.
It hasn't proven to be her undoing though. Weakly hiding away all campaign, coming out with ridiculous, unpopular policies such as fox hunting and "dementia tax", not focusing on the tories's positives has been her undoing.

Anyway there are far too many nationalists and separatists in our parliament. Let them go their own way and redistribute

the cards. Parliament of 650 members , 35 scottish nationalists, 3 welsh and 7 irish nationalists who do not even turn up.

So 45 out of 650 or about 7% have no real interest other than to try to get their own way. As some pointed out earlier on the scot nats get 35 seats for 900K votes or so, 6% of the seats for 2 or 3% of the votes. Don't even get me started on the non-representation of expats. A lot of other countries have members in their parliaments for specific overseas regions, I think we are about 2 million or so long term expats and yet the scotsnats get far more consideration than us.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Farage never said that. It was Boris and co.

The idea that UKIP have not managed to significantly influence British politics is somewhat wide of the mark!