Neil McCann

Kingsland Red

Didn't Strachan request Steed Malbranque but Lowe got him Neil McCann?

Also Louis Saha for a total of £6m with Malbranque I seem to recall but that was after we signed McCann and Rupes refusal was one of the reasons that Strachan left. I believe Rupes said that we can buy a whole team for that price at the time. McCann looked useful in his first game for us but was cr*p every game after.

Also Louis Saha for a total of £6m with Malbranque I seem to recall but that was after we signed McCann and Rupes refusal was one of the reasons that Strachan left. I believe Rupes said that we can buy a whole team for that price at the time. McCann looked useful in his first game for us but was cr*p every game after.

Correct, I think it was for a a higher fee than you mention more like £11m for the pair but that's right. Lowe also pulled the plug on a deal from Adebeyor before he went to Arsenal as he didn't like his attitude. I was also told we could have had Drogba for £3m before he went to Marseille but Lowe said he was too similar to Beattie :lol:

I had a lot of contacts at the club at this time so all true.

When I first got into football, I got a management game for Christmas, I picked a team at random, got Dundee, stayed with them for years and years and ever since then I've always looked out for them and considered them my second team. I actually got to watch Dundee and Saints back to back a few weeks ago when we played Spurs and they played Celtic beforehand. Sadly it was the same result. Weird reason for following a team I know but it's better than people's excuses for supporting the big boys.

Happy to see someone with a Saints connection there but I was hoping they'd go for someone with a bit more experience, they've had a horrible 2017 so far!

He was poor. However one thing that I will always remember was him coming on as sub (I think to replace Svensson), and loads of fans booed when his name was announced. Strachan turned round and sarcastically applauded the Saints fans. It's one thing to get frustrated with someone not being very good, it's another to actively boo them before they've kicked a ball. A sad indictment of the new breed (not necessarily younger) of 'supporters'.

He was poor. However one thing that I will always remember was him coming on as sub (I think to replace Svensson), and loads of fans booed when his name was announced. Strachan turned round and sarcastically applauded the Saints fans. It's one thing to get frustrated with someone not being very good, it's another to actively boo them before they've kicked a ball. A sad indictment of the new breed (not necessarily younger) of 'supporters'.

what do you mean a 'new breed of supporters'

I remember when Cockrill got dogs abuse before, during and after games. nothing like 'booing' of McCann, which is very tame in comparison

I remember when Cockrill got dogs abuse before, during and after games. nothing like 'booing' of McCann, which is very tame in comparison

Perhaps I was too young for that. Cockerill was playing when I started going to the Dell but was near the end of his career. I played football against his son in fact!

The Dell felt like a family and while I'll never forget the anti-Branfoot chants, in general I don't recall the fans getting on the back of the team in the same way. If anything, the 'spirit' we had came from the supporters getting behind the team in times of adversity. Perhaps because such a high percentage of the attendance were there every week. While the move to St Mary's was necessary, it also felt like the sense of entitlement had gone up, and more fans were quick to turn on the team when we were struggling.

Maybe it's more to do with football at large and life in general now though rather than Saints specifically.

Perhaps I was too young for that. Cockerill was playing when I started going to the Dell but was near the end of his career. I played football against his son in fact!

The Dell felt like a family and while I'll never forget the anti-Branfoot chants, in general I don't recall the fans getting on the back of the team in the same way. If anything, the 'spirit' we had came from the supporters getting behind the team in times of adversity. Perhaps because such a high percentage of the attendance were there every week. While the move to St Mary's was necessary, it also felt like the sense of entitlement had gone up, and more fans were quick to turn on the team when we were struggling.

Maybe it's more to do with football at large and life in general now though rather than Saints specifically.

Before Cockerill didn't George Lawrence get loads of abuse. I remember Dowie got loads of stick too. I'm sure booing disliked players of your own has been around for years

Before Cockerill didn't George Lawrence get loads of abuse. I remember Dowie got loads of stick too. I'm sure booing disliked players of your own has been around for years

I remember David Speedie having to give a saints fan a smack too.

I remember David Speedie having to give a saints fan a smack too.

Tom Jenkins used to get a lot of abuse as well. Even Mick Channon did in his early days. McCann wasn't the worst by a long way, should have been decent, he was good before he joined, just didn't work out.

I remember Iain Dowie's name being booed after the announcer said his name. It might even have been just after he had scored.

People used to get frustrated but i don't recall the constant sighing and groaning that happens at most misplaced passes now. That's definitely something that's escalated over the past 5 seasons.

People used to get frustrated but i don't recall the constant sighing and groaning that happens at most misplaced passes now. That's definitely something that's escalated over the past 5 seasons.

Hardly a surprise though. That's just a reflection of society these days coupled with higher expectations of the team.

the groans and moans Steve Baker got he got every time his name was announced after that terrible derby performance weren't from any new breed either

I can remember Franny getting abuse from a lot of the Milton back in the day too, as well as Timmy Flowers early in his career. Goes to show that football fans haven't changed really it's just that people want to remember the past in the way they'd like it to be.