Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please stop playing 'My Way' before the match

Thumbs down Please stop playing 'My Way' before the match

Here's hoping the club see this.

Please stop playing Shane Longs version of 'My Way' before kick off. It's truly awful, cringe worthy and tin pot. Every time it comes on it actually reduces the atmosphere as it's so slow. Everyone who sits around me in Itchen North hate and moan every time it's played. Away fans just laugh at us/it.

Surely I can't be the only one who hates this cretinous song?

These plea's are falling on deaf ears.

Yeah, it hasn't really worked as the club/players thought it would. I don't think you can manufacture these sorts of pre-match songs, they just happen.

Plus it's slow as hell and talks about ending things ''And now, the end is near / And so I face the final curtain'' - not exactly the lyrics to get anyone pumped up.

Quote Originally Posted by mehball View Post
    Every time it comes on it actually reduces the atmosphere as it's so slow?
    Have you heard our 'support' in recent seasons? I'm certainly not a fan of 'My Way' but is it any worse than the monotonous OWTS on constant repeat? Actually My Way' represents our vocal support quite well.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cellone View Post
    These plea's are falling on deaf ears.
    I wish I had deaf ears after listening to it.

Its an awful attempt at manufacturing an "atmosphere". Other than it's utterly cheesiness the slow pace of the song sucks the life out of you. I'm yet to see one person where I sit sing along or do anything other than moan about it. Fortunately not many home games left and let's hope they bin this off next year.

It's dreadful, hopefully the club will get rid at the end of the season latest. Kills the atmosphere, not spoken to anyone who likes it.

It is truly awful. Can we petition the club?

In an ideal world the fans would just drown it out with their own noise but we obviously haven't got the sort of crowd to do that.

Maybe it is just payback from the players for them having to put up with the equally dreadfully slow and tedious "Oh When The Saintszzzzz" every match!

Everyone I've met absolutely hates it. It's ****ing embarrassing IMO.

Would rather they gave us clappy things and flags. Now that's saying something.

Its ****e. It was marketed as Fonte's idea. Its American. Its ****e.

Please stop playing Shane Longs version of 'My Way' before kick off. It's truly awful, cringe worthy and tin pot. Every time it comes on it actually reduces the atmosphere as it's so slow. Everyone who sits around me in Itchen North hate and moan every time it's played. Away fans just laugh at us/it.

Completely agree with this and often muse about starting a thread on the subject. So well done to you.

Its cringe, small time and tin pot. It isn't remotely saints, and it completley kills the atmosphere. Its been very noticeable before the last 2 big matches (bournemouth and man city) that all the pre game buzz in the crowd stops for 2min whilst it plays, and then the atmosphere is slow to recover... This directly effects the team and contributed to slow starts.

There isn't a single good reason for that song. There are countless good reasons to kick it into the long grass ASAP!!

Bring back The Skids!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Would rather they gave us clappy things and flags. Now that's saying something.
    vuvuzelas too.

Perhaps just because it reminds me of t of when I started going to the dell, but One Vision always worked well at the start.

17. Default

It makes me cringe.................It wont go until the end of the season though I bet.

I honestly think the only thing that'll stop it is if a YouTube video posted by laughing away fans goes viral, a bit like Hull's cringeworthy "mauled by the Tigers" and Reading's truly sickening pop song publicly shamed their clubs.

Who's responsible for it ffs?

I vote for NO music and NO ****e fan gimmicks !

"Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"

The idea that it drowns out the atmosphere is laughable. There is no atmosphere or noise from the home phones pre kick off. Most of the sing sections at SMS don't take their seats until kick off or after. The only people singing before kick off are the away fans. As such anything that drowns them out is probably a bonus.

I don't particularly like the song either but people are deluded if they think that scraping it will result in some sort of spontaneous home fan atmosphere of 30k saints fans singing their hearts out.

21. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    I wish I had deaf ears after listening to it.
    Wouldn't it be better to have "deaf ears" before it starts?

Quote Originally Posted by saint si View Post
    Bring back The Skids!
    They played that as they came out for the 2nd half on Saturday.

22. Default

Quote Originally Posted by saint si View Post
    Bring back The Skids!
    This is played when the players come out of the tunnel every match as far as I can hear!

The song is sh!t but as others say, it's not like we have noisy fans. Far from it. Also, for those who find it embarrassing, you clearly have never actually seen or done anything embarrassing. Try getting so ****ed you shyte in your pants then forget to take them off when you go to work...or something actually embarrassing. It's just a song.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    Yeah, it hasn't really worked as the club/players thought it would. I don't think you can manufacture these sorts of pre-match songs, they just happen.

Plus it's slow as hell and talks about ending things ''And now, the end is near / And so I face the final curtain'' - not exactly the lyrics to get anyone pumped up.
    No it doesn't say that at all. I remember the lyrics when it was published in the OS and if the club put them on the big screen perhaps the crowd would all sing along as they do at Liverpool.

Genuinely don't think i've ever heard it as i tend to get into my seat about a minute before the game starts so i can spend more time at the pub

Quote Originally Posted by CityRanger View Post
    It is truly awful. Can we petition the club?
    I'm up for a march and a pitch invasion and to simultaneously throw rubber Sinatra figurines in the 33rd minute in protest.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    Genuinely don't think i've ever heard it as i tend to get into my seat about a minute before the game starts so i can spend more time at the pub
    Why do you sit down at games?

Quote Originally Posted by Daft Kerplunk View Post
    Try getting so ****ed you shyte in your pants then forget to take them off when you go to work...or something actually embarrassing.
    Ah, we're back to the skids again.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

They should go back to playing.. Snap - Rhythm is A Dancer ...like they did before games at The Dell every game if anyone remembers that during a period in the 90s. (think they played at the final whistle too).

Always created a cool atmosphere and sort of entrance tune, especially for games under the floodlights.

I'm usually a min late from the pub so miss the garbage music at the start anyway.

It is dreadful. Embarrrassingly so.

Quote Originally Posted by alehouseboys View Post
    Have you heard our 'support' in recent seasons? I'm certainly not a fan of 'My Way' but is it any worse than the monotonous OWTS on constant repeat? Actually My Way' represents our vocal support quite well.
    OWTS is are song and should be sung loud and proud like "you'll never walk alone" does for Liverhampton.

Can't believe how easily people get upset over a song, it's hilarious. I don't particularly like it but nor do I 'cringe' or get embarrassed whenever it comes on, seriously who cares?

And those saying it kills the atmosphere can't have been going to SMS too long, as there is no atmosphere to kill. Everyone is far too busy taking selfies or munching through their hotdog. If anything's embarrassing it's our dull, zombie like 'supporters', many of whom get up and leave with ten minutes left.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    OWTS is are song and should be sung loud and proud like "you'll never walk alone" does for Liverhampton.
    I think it's more the lack of other songs that's the problem.

Obviously I've never heard it....But I totally agree it's lame. I can see that with my eyes shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Why do you sit down at games?
    I don't

35. Default

Please make it stop...cringe.

I'm not really adding much to the discussion here but it's dreadful.

Hear, bloody hear!

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Perhaps just because it reminds me of t of when I started going to the dell, but One Vision always worked well at the start.
    This

Vote with your feet until the message gets through !

Quote Originally Posted by hackedoff View Post
    Vote with your feet until the message gets through !
    Come on 39 posts in and no one has posted that piccy of Kirk off Corrie standing behind his Dad both with faces like smacked backsides

I would oblige but I don't have it.............. and I am carp at posting piccys on here

41. Default

1* AWFUL

It's a tuneless dirge, dreadful.

Of course the fans could make a noticeable protest by purposely giving a loud rendition of something else as soon as 'My Way' starts up, but lets be honest, most can't be bothered.

The Skids get my vote.

43. Default

I'm in the awful camp.

Any chance of a poll??

Very interesting reading this thread.
    Unfortunately I'm a distant fan, don't get to live games, but the idea of a song before the start to fire up the crowd/players seems like a good idea, especially if the crowd atmosphere is rather funereal.
    Suggestions so far have included: Rhythm Is A Dancer, One Vision, The Skids (which one is it? 'valley'?).
    Why not start a 'which song would you have?' thread... or do it in this thread? I don't feel qualified to participate fully, but how about something like Big Country's 'Fields of Fire' or if a sing-a-long is needed, maybe 'Wake Me Up Before You Go Go'... (I'm sure some would feel this is appropriate given Puel's apparent preferred playing style).
    Last edited by 5string; 19-04-2017 at 09:47 PM.

The current song is just cringeworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    It's a tuneless dirge, dreadful.

Of course the fans could make a noticeable protest by purposely giving a loud rendition of something else as soon as 'My Way' starts up, but lets be honest, most can't be bothered.

The Skids get my vote.
    In an ideal/fantasy world the club get The Skids booked for the last home game this season. Plonk them in the middle of the pitch on a tiny podium (think Shay Stadium) and the lads blast through 'Into the Valley' followed by 'The Saints are Coming' just before the players run out.

Job fecking done.

Thrash out a deal to do it all next season too.

This one act by the club will single-handedly make SFC the coolest club in Europe.

Maybe we could all start wearing Harrington jackets, Beckenbauer's and sporting crew cuts too. Bosh!

Make it a condition, when VVD goes to Liverpool that they take that recording as well.

I admit I love it, but then I love most Saints songs. OK, all. Cant find the Alan Ball Oasis song on youtube. I've got it on cd but still.

Get the Flying Alexanders to do an updated version of Paint the Town.

I remember when this website was all fields

At least play the Sid Vicious version.

To be fair, it can sound incredible if done properly. I went to see Sporting Lisbon last week and they sing it just before kick off.

Never going to happen at St Mary's though.