Anyone been to Sardinia?

the saint in winchester

Went there in 1990 for the world cup. I'd wait for some more recent advice!

Actually just remembered I crewed out of there in 2007, but I think the same still applies..:-) Some beautiful beaches, food and wine good (try the lamb and Cannonau and Monica di sardegna decent reds if you don't buy the cheapest) but August will be hot and busy.

Had a great holiday in the north of the island last September. Nice warm climate ( its as far south as Rome on the mainland).

Sandy beaches reached via tracks off the roads and some lovely towns with good restaurants . The interior is worth exploring as well .

We flew into Olbia airport on the NE coast, a bit like Bournemouth airport, and stayed at Isola Rossa ( NW coast) for one week and San Pantaleo (NE) for a second week, near the Costa Smeralda yachting towns.

It's Italy without the frenetic chaos of the mainland.

Went last June - flew into Olbia and stayed on Costa Smeralda in Baja Sardinia. Absolutely loved it!! Quite busy in June so can imagine it gets very busy in the Italian peak holiday periods. Don't bother with the boat trip around the archipelago though as a bit of mass transit day with 10 mins on each beach.

100% going back :)