Dave jones

Roger

Living in Gloucestershire I have a bit of a vested interest in the relegation scrap in L2 with Cheltenham in the mix. Hartlepool seem to have plummeted into it. Looked on their forum earlier and found this:

http://www.pooliebunker.co.uk/newbunker/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60989

I've never seen a manager so uninterested, so laboured, miserable, downbeat.

Seems familiar from his time with us when he was often accused of being passionless.

Putting the terrible false allegations aside he was a very average manager and had it not been for the timing of the police allegations he would surely have been sacked - Hoddle was a different level when he came in.

There was also an unjustified arrogance about him.

Edited by Katalinic

Thought it was dreadful football.

it was bloody awful apart from a decent run in his first season.

Jeff Stelling's rant about him getting the hell out of Hartlepool today made me remember similar thoughts just before those terrible accusations were made against him.

it was bloody awful apart from a decent run in his first season.

Jeff Stelling's rant about him getting the hell out of Hartlepool today made me remember similar thoughts just before those terrible accusations were made against him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OrigamiNinja79/status/855813959550730240/video/1

Dave Jones reported response

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/hartlepool-united/hartlepool-united-boss-dave-jones-will-fight-on-after-jeff-stelling-tells-him-to-go-1-8507111

As much as I dislike Jones I was watching SS and thought Stelling was completely unprofessional. I've watched it a bit more this season and think he's in danger of getting too big for his boots. The whole thing, including the pundits is starting to become a little staged imo .As good as he is, somebody needs to reign him in. As Keys & Gray found out nobody is irreplaceable,no matter how much of a fixture they become

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting the terrible false allegations aside he was a very average manager and had it not been for the timing of the police allegations he would surely have been sacked - Hoddle was a different level when he came in.

There was also an unjustified arrogance about him.

Despite a win over Everton, Lowe was going to sack Jones on the Monday, but when the allegations broke he was left in a dilemma.

Whatever you think of Lowe, he mostly tried to do the decent thing and he knew that if he went ahead with his plans to sack Jones, people would have thought he was doing it because he thought Jones was guilty of the allegations.

He didn't want that to happen so he put Jones on 'gardening leave' to clear his name, and appointed Hoddle on an interim basis.

Of course, when the charges collapsed, Jones thought he was going to get his job back, by which time Hoddle had done a half decent job.

The post-script to this comes with a piece Martin Samuel did for The Times (where he was working at the time) where he described Lowe's handling of the affair as 'Shambolic',

Lowed sued for defamation and although The Times/Samuel claimed it was a comment piece, Lowe successfully claimed that any comment has to be based on provable fact and they could not prove he had acted in such a way.

Lowe won £250,000.

Despite a win over Everton, Lowe was going to sack Jones on the Monday, but when the allegations broke he was left in a dilemma.

Whatever you think of Lowe, he mostly tried to do the decent thing and he knew that if he went ahead with his plans to sack Jones, people would have thought he was doing it because he thought Jones was guilty of the allegations.

He didn't want that to happen so he put Jones on 'gardening leave' to clear his name, and appointed Hoddle on an interim basis.

Of course, when the charges collapsed, Jones thought he was going to get his job back, by which time Hoddle had done a half decent job.

The post-script to this comes with a piece Martin Samuel did for The Times (where he was working at the time) where he described Lowe's handling of the affair as 'Shambolic',

Lowed sued for defamation and although The Times/Samuel claimed it was a comment piece, Lowe successfully claimed that any comment has to be based on provable fact and they could not prove he had acted in such a way.

Lowe won £250,000.

& Samuel has had a grudge ever since :)

I'm sure I've read that was his wife :) :) :) :)

Didn't Rupes claim it was from playing hockey?:lol:

Dave Jones was **** for us really, a half decent season in 97/98, nearly took us down the following year, and then half a season of mediocre football the following year. As mentioned above the difference Hoddle made to the team was incredible.

Don't think I ever forgave DJ for the 12 hour round trip to see us humiliated at Newcastle in one of his final games....

First thing Jones did was sign Paul Jones from his previous club Stockport as No 1 keeper for 800k when we had no money. Thing was we had Maik Taylor who was a good keeper so we didn't need to spend that money there. Then there was Lee Todd - absolutely dire and another left back that Franny saw off. Football was dire but we survived thanks to Pahars. The season that he was put on gardening leave, we were bottom of the league I think so he would soon have got sacked.

First thing Jones did was sign Paul Jones from his previous club Stockport as No 1 keeper for 800k when we had no money. Thing was we had Maik Taylor who was a good keeper so we didn't need to spend that money there. Then there was Lee Todd - absolutely dire and another left back that Franny saw off. Football was dire but we survived thanks to Pahars. The season that he was put on gardening leave, we were bottom of the league I think so he would soon have got sacked.

Paul Jones was class. Great signing. Some of the saves he made one season were amazing. If Matty kept us up single handily most seasons, there was one season that Paul Jones did (think one game that stands out was Man U 1-0 at home). Yes he lost his way a little the last few seasons, but really liked Jones.