Reuben Agboola

twoandahalfstuds

Hello All,

I may be fortunate enough to have the opportunity to interview Reuben Agboola in the near future. I am a little too young to remember his Saints playing days, i was only a few months old when he was sold to Sunderland.

So...... are there any members on here that have fond memories of him they would like to share, or have me ask him about?

http://images.supersport.com/content/Reuben-Agboola-Southampton-.jpg

The interview will end up on a future episode of the Saints FC Podcast: http://saintsfcpod.libsyn.com/

He played in the era of LMc buying flash players at the end of their career, very exciting for the fans but not so good for the younger or home grown, Reuben A was one of those, lost his place probably to former England captain Mills if I remember rightly. Midst all the old stars he was under rated. If I met him, I would ask him what it was like to be a young local with all those internationals around. I was really sorry when he left and before long all the stars had gone anyway

He played in the era of LMc buying flash players at the end of their career, very exciting for the fans but not so good for the younger or home grown, Reuben A was one of those, lost his place probably to former England captain Mills if I remember rightly. Midst all the old stars he was under rated. If I met him, I would ask him what it was like to be a young local with all those internationals around. I was really sorry when he left and before long all the stars had gone anyway

Played alongside Mick Mills throughout the 83/84 season.

Lost his place early the next season after a late night City centre incident. Lawrie sold him on to Sunderland and then followed him there a few months later.

Ask him about making his debut at Old Trafford, with Danny Wallace after Chris Nicholl and Kevin Keegan fell ill.

Don't think he was ever a young local though as he came through the London centre

He was a favourite player 1983/4 and was being talked about as a future international. Always remember hearing commentators purring over his distribution out of defence when most hoofed it, and very few teams used a sweeper.

Big question is really, why the fall in his career, and the fall out with Lawrie?

He looked like he could have been a real gem, then all of a sudden he was gone. My Sunderland mate I worked with around that time rated him, but not really sure how he did up there, it's so much easier to find other supporters views these days. One thing that puzzled me was why he left. Obviously there were rumours of an incident but it must have been a pretty bad one for Lawrie to bin him straight off. He seemed to put up with quite a bit from some other players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And lent his name to one of the great terrace chants of the 80s thanks to Dexys midnight runners

Reuben agboola, do do do do derrrr, repeat.

Have to say that one escapes me ...... Aggi Aggi Aggi boo oooo La was the one that I remember

And lent his name to one of the great terrace chants of the 80s thanks to Dexys midnight runners

Reuben agboola, do do do do derrrr, repeat.

Have to say that one escapes me ...... Aggi Aggi Aggi boo oooo La was the one that I remember

First bars of Jackie Wilson Said, youtube it if you can't place it. His name fitted perfectly.

The chant one of the best, was on a par with "Phil Boyer, Phil Boyer, first division's top scorer" to the tune of Sham 69s "Hershan Boys, Hersham boys, laced up boots and corduroys". (again youtube may be required for our younger readers)

All goes to emphasise how unoriginal the chant of today are.

I remember writing to Reuben after he left,expressing my sadness and disappointment

that he had moved. He unexpectedly wrote back to me thanking me for my letter and

Remarked that both himself and his wife were overjoyed to read of my gratitude for his

performances and if memory serves me correctly there were references to LMcM and I

was of the impression that he very much disliked him and felt he had at the time had a

detrimental effect on his career. The move to Sunderland was a relief to get away from

whatever the problem had been with LMcM but when he then left for Sunderland too

I think it was a very difficult time for Reuben.

I was so pleased that a footballer who gave me such enjoyment watching him play had

taken the time to reply to me. Can you imagine a modern day player actually writing and posting

a letter to a fan nowadays rather than social media?

I later tried writing to David Armstrong after he left but alas didn't receive a reply!

Great memories of a player of a bygone era that for me were the best football days of my Saints

supporting life.

Thank you Rueben and thanks to the OP for this thread.

First bars of Jackie Wilson Said, youtube it if you can't place it. His name fitted perfectly.

The chant one of the best, was on a par with "Phil Boyer, Phil Boyer, first division's top scorer" to the tune of Sham 69s "Hershan Boys, Hersham boys, laced up boots and corduroys". (again youtube may be required for our younger readers)

All goes to emphasise how unoriginal the chant of today are.

Could be a correlation with today's music in general?

Bloomin' eck I sound like an old fart!

Reuben is a lovely guy and back in his day was one of the top defenders in the country. It is difficult to compare the 80s with today's Premier League but it is useful to reflect that in the year we finished runners up to Liverpool in the top division in English football, Reuben was a regular starting defender. He usually played as a sweeper behind the centre backs like Mark Wright and his last days tech tackles were vital, and a joy to witness. I would compare his professional status with our left back Bertrand in today's world. The problem is he was never a millionaire like Bertrand presumably is, he never had an agent to make the deals for him, and he was probably too 'nice' to make his own deals in the cutthroat world of football. I believe he was exploited by McMenemy because he didn't make a big fuss.

The so called night club incident was a lot of nothing but it was blown up by the Echo, and certainly finished his career at the Dell. He as a little bit ****ed but actually was defending a mate who had a little argument with some random guy. Reuben walked slightly into the road and was bumped by a car which led to him being admitted to the General. It was a storm in a teacup but the front page was a 'sensational' one and McMenemy got the hump, gave him a rollicking and basically Reuben was suddenly persona non grata.

He had a good couple of years at Sunderland and was extremely popular with the fans (who are quite demanding of their footballers)

After McMenemy arrived at Sunderland Reuben's career took a dive again and he went on loan to places like Port Vale and Swansea. He even played for Woking at one time late in his career.

All in all though, he's a brilliant fellow who had the bad luck to be born about 10 years too early because, had he been around in the Premier League era, he would be very rIch indeed with the talent he had.

Someone above mentioned International appearances, well he did play a few time for Nigeria where his Dad came from. At that time Nigerian football was a shambles so he was sometimes not paid or else the team had not kit to wear etc!

He originally played as a kid in the Enfield league and came down as a youth player so he is 'one of our own' and I think he loves the Saints.

Hope that helps the OP with a bit of material for the interview.

Amazing responses everyone! Thank you so much! Not got a date set for it yet but will let everyone here know when the podcast is ready and out for you all to listen to!

Absolutely can't wait to meet him now, he sounds like a top bloke [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk