Chelsea 4-2 Saints: Reactions

Bad Wolf

How quickly things can change. Under Pochettino and Koeman we regularly beat top 6 sides and we expected to; under Puel we don't. I'm not sure it's all his fault. The squad has been severely weakened by the sake of our best players and the failure to replace them with players of a similar calibre, although perhaps we have also failed to appoint a manager of a similar calibre to the last 2. As you say, we can expect more of the same this summer.

Or perhaps the big sides are better this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not unhappy with that performance, at times we played some good football "taters" gave us some credit throughout the game and baring in mind our 2 cb's were our 3rd and 4th centre backs Claude's time on the training field is showing promise!

Good effort. Unlucky to go in 2-1 down at half time. If Puel and Les had sorted the defence in January we'd be higher up the table. Unforgivable at this level, having that lack of foresight, and general insight. Just can't understand it and there is no excuse. As we're not getting relegated we're stuck with Puel for next season but, despite his final acceptance that the diamond doesn't work, he has not got the best out of the players he has, and fails to motivate them or the fans. Poor choice.

Thought we gave them a good game, they just had Costa/Hazard on top form and that's very hard to stop - even more so when you have reserve CB's.

I'm a bit frustrated with Boufal, I thought he had a great first half - I can only hope he felt a tweak or something and he didn't just wimp out, that's not exactly going to make it work for him here.

Romeu had a great game, in one stage he bossed that midfield, but we were just too meek defensively. Too nicey, nice.

Still doesn't feel as if this season has ever really started for me, nothing has got going. Let's just get to the summer and regroup, big summer - we can go two ways.

Chelsea deserved the win but I thought we edged the first half performance wise. Glad we got the consolation goal as 4-1 wasn't a fair reflection of the game overall IMO.

If VvD hadn't been crocked by Vardy then we'd be picking up points from games like this (that's not to overly criticise our CBs tonight, just that VvD has a 'presence' about him that gives us an edge)

Romeu my MotM.

Happy with that performance and thought we fully played our part in a good game of football. Chelsea are very strong and have quality players all over the pitch but we gave them problems throughout. No disgrace to lose that and we never gave up. We do miss VVD at the heart of our defence though.

I thought we played well, few complaints from me.

We'd be a better team with VVD and Fonte, regardless of their replacements making a decent go of it.

Still struggle to turn our possession into chances.

Main annoyance being a bod behind me spending the full 90 mins moaning about Forster.

You're ****ing deluded. There's not one neutral who will say we were "really poor", not one. Look in the papers tomorrow, listen to the pundits , they'll not be one that states that

100% agree thought we gave them a good game

Another loss and the muppets are back.

None of the armchair managers on here have seen the players training over the last weeks.

I'll take Puel over any of the smart arses on here thank you.

Thought we were the better team for the first 46 minutes.

Struggled at times 2nd half, but pleased to see both ex-Chelski boys score.

Starting Boufal was a gamble, but he did well in the first half.

Tadic was disappointing for me.

Forster did ok as did Yoshi and Stephens.

Roll on Hull, and Leicester beating WB....

Frustrating game because as good as Chelsea were, we threw it away ourselves. We played tidily, passed the ball well and for a 20min spell were the better side. However...

Biggest issues:

1. Defence bullied today. Poor defending from set plays, crap clearances and generally always looked like they could run through us. We bring so much pressure on ourselves.

2. So open to being counter attacked due to lack of midfield legs and only one player in the team who tackles. Must address this in the summer.

3. The whole way we play. Its great when we are good, but its probably the toughest way to win points. We have to play really well to win and generally cut teams open to score goals, albeit todays was cheap. We work the ball wide really well but don't have strikers that thrive off aerial crosses.

4. We are probably the nicest team to face. Lots of tidy players, very few powerful players, very few niggly players. Not many who win headers and tackles.

Gave it a good go at times but we can't defend like we did tonight against sides like Chelsea. **** defending really has become a common thing since VvD got injured. Yoshida and Stephens just aren't good enough for where this club say they want to be. Neither of them should be in the starting line up when the transfer window slams shut next season, if they are then something has gone very wrong in the transfer window.

Away team at high flying Chelsea, thought we played OK for the most part of it. They obviously have much more quality than us but we kept going right until the end, so that was good to see. Have to say though, I feel for JRod, he really looks completely out of sorts. Overall though, not overly concerned, good effort by the lads.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

What a bunch of utter, utter t***s on here. Saints gave it a good go but Chelsea are just a far stronger side (lets not forget they beat Spurs by the same score at the weekend).

Defensively we were poor (although thought Stephens was pick of the bunch back there), Boufal was awful second half after a promising first half and I thought Romeu had a poor game giving the ball away in dangerous areas (not for the first time this season). We looked fairly dangerous going forward and JWP played some fantastic balls in. I really think davis slows our play down and gives the ball away cheaply.

Any team (including Chelsea) would miss VVD in the center - I actually think a Stephens/VVD pairing could be very, very strong as Stephens is classy on the ball and his reading of the game is improving all the time.

But what a surprise....the hysterical tarts on here claiming the sky is falling in.

Utter, utter w*****s.

Chelsea are incredible going forward. Their movement is superb, and with Kante and Matic they're always solid in midfield. Thought we played some good stuff but it was all in front of the penalty area for the most part.

Boufal showed glimpses but not enough to warrant starting ahead of Redmond, everyone else was alright. Cedric was the best player in a Saints shirt for me. Win against Hull and it'll be a bit more rosy.

I do feel however that whatever happens this will go down as a season of minor disappointment. For the first time since we got back in the premier league we haven't really gone into games against the big teams with much optimism. I always felt in the past few seasons we could give anyone a game but we're a lot further behind the top 6 this season than we've ever been before (at least certainly in the last 3 seasons). When you couple that with the awful performances in the Europa League and the dismal exit in the FA cup, it's just all felt a bit... meh.

Still, if you told me in the summer we'd be lining up with Yoshida and Stephens at Stamford Bridge I'dve bitten your hand off for 4-2! Big summer recruitment wise required.

That's 7 goals conceded in 2 games which is poor even if its against Man City & Chelsea. Its not just about the defence. Thought Davis was very poor tonight. Lost count of the amount of times he gave the ball away. His school boy challenge for the 4th was also poor. He's been great for us, but its time for Clasie or Hojberg.

Tadic was as frustrating as ever.

Gabbi cant score if we don't give him the ball.

How does Costa not get booked for diving??

Need 3 points against Hull.

There is no evidence whatsoever that Caceres would be better than Maya or Stephens.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

True, but why not give the lad a chance to prove himself? We've got **** all to play for this season so why not play him? Giving Stephens some game time makes sense but we've been leaking goals since VVD got injured so why not try something different. Stephens is young, he'll get his chance in the future.

Jay-Rod's Dad has re-tweeted a twitter poll asking if people want Puel sacked. Think we can safely say Jay is off.

This is one of the disappointments of the season for me. J Rod's dad needs to get over himself, get his son a gig at a mid-table Championship side and we can all move on.

There is no evidence whatsoever that Caceres would be better than Maya or Stephens.

Surely to know whether there is any evidence we actually have to see him on the pitch in a Premier League game. He is am experienced Uruguayan International who has, up to his injury a year ago, played about 60 games for Juventus. That is evidence that he is a good defender. The only way to see if he can hack it in the PL is to give him a game.

Paying the price for selling Fonte, without having a decent replacement already signed. Having said that, what's done is done, no point crying about it now. I've got no problem with JS playing ahead of MC as the latter is only a temporary fix and this kind of thing is invaluable experience for one of our young players. However, that was Costa and Hazard, bang in form, up against our 3rd and 5th choice centre halves (at the start of the season). It was only really going to go one way.

For all those complaining about Puel, I seem to remember Poch didn't get a win against a top side either. We won at Anfield when Liverpool were in poor form, much like us in the cup. That's about it.

Surely to know whether there is any evidence we actually have to see him on the pitch in a Premier League game. He is am experienced Uruguayan International who has, up to his injury a year ago, played about 60 games for Juventus. That is evidence that he is a good defender. The only way to see if he can hack it in the PL is to give him a game.

Yeah good idea. Let's give him a game before he ****s off in the summer & drop a nipper who is gaining valuable experience & doing a decent job.

Thought first half was an enjoyable game, both teams getting stuck in without it being nasty, lots of end to end football. We gave as good as we got for most of it, and it was a shame they made the breakthrough just on HT.

It's no good consistently playing well for large parts of the game only to be hit by a break, or a defensive mishap, or a poorly defended set piece. I'm certainly not a 'results above all else" supporter, but of course you need to get the points from time to time too. That being said, there were still plenty of positives from tonight, we certainly looked capable going forward.

So what gives? Our defence looked a bit desperate at times, but that's not unheard of against this lethal Chelsea attack. They may not dominate games but it feels like they could score whenever they attack, regardless of their oppositim! A better centre half would probably instill more confidence and make a marginal but decisive difference to how we fare. Furthermore in midfield we are passed too easily. Romeu does a decent job but doesn't get much support. Davis and JWP both do well from a possession point of view though, and I think this is the crux of the tactical decision: do we starve the opposition of the ball, but risk being vulnerable on the occasions they do have it? Or do we surrender more possession in exchange for greater defensive protection?

With a solid defence that includes VVD, I think you can do the former, but with Stephens & Yoshida (& Forster) perhaps it needs to be the latter. We also only really have he personnel for the former, as no-one else plays the 2nd "destroyer" well.

Edited by mrfahaji

Souness hit the nail on the head. We're lovely to watch, play some good stuff. But are a bit too easy to play against. We'd all like both, but is that realistic? I guess some would rather be like stoke or WBA & be more difficult to play against. Personally, if we're going to finish mid table, I'd rather do it like we are, than them .

True, but why not give the lad a chance to prove himself? We've got **** all to play for this season so why not play him? Giving Stephens some game time makes sense but we've been leaking goals since VVD got injured so why not try something different. Stephens is young, he'll get his chance in the future.

Can only think that it's been decided he won't be staying after this season ends so it's pointless playing him. While it's good Stephens is getting some experience, us conceding at least 2 a game can't be doing his confidence any good.

We are lacking a proper leader in defence. I ****ing hate Jamie Vardy.

Souness hit the nail on the head. We're lovely to watch, play some good stuff. But are a bit too easy to play against. We'd all like both, but is that realistic? I guess some would rather be like stoke or WBA & be more difficult to play against. Personally, if we're going to finish mid table, I'd rather do it like we are, than them .

Would agree with this. 2 biggest mistakes this season were made in summer transfer window (striker) and winter winter (CB).

I do however remain unconvinced about Puel but deserves till end of season.

Abysmal defending. Please buy someone to play against vvd (don't sell him)

Buy a partner for Romeu.

Don't play Davis and ward prowse.

I'm surprised there haven't been more comments about the vulnerability of playing both Davis and JWP. Much has been made of Yoshida and Stephens being shaky at CB tonight, and at times they were - but the lightweight nature of our mid-field with Romeu asked to handle most of the work stands out as a weakness. Davis was busy but did lose the ball a lot, and while JWP's set pieces were good, he really didn't offer much else, did he - defensively or in attack. I thought Cedric was outstanding tonight.

i have never seen this website so divided about our team, and the manager. calm down puel will be here till next Christmas at least. VVd, Jrod, Cedric, berty, Gamby will leave in the summer. (I really hope not.)

Who the **** is gamby?

i have never seen this website so divided about our team, and the manager. calm down puel will be here till next Christmas at least. VVd, Jrod, Cedric, berty, Gamby will leave in the summer. (I really hope not.)

You have no idea who is leaving or likely to ....None at all but you are right about the forum but tbh some are a bit silly