Saints V Hull City Build up...

saint lard

We should have been way clear before that mad few minutes in the away game. Even after that we had enough chances to win.

Still expecting a tough game because they really need to win, can see a draw here with a late goal from them to seal what could be a valuable point.

Palace were also dreadful when we played them away and Hull couldn't buy a win and they both beat us so not taking anything for granted. Certainly don't expect a 3 or 4 nil as Hull really aren't that bad these days.

I expect us to win but I think it'll be close. 2-1 Saints I think.

Palace were also dreadful when we played them away and Hull couldn't buy a win and they both beat us so not taking anything for granted. Certainly don't expect a 3 or 4 nil as Hull really aren't that bad these days.

I expect us to win but I think it'll be close. 2-1 Saints I think.

They are a bad team, away from home at least. A bit like Burnley. They lost to a Stoke team who every man and his dog is beating.

If we were playing them at their place, it would be a completely different match.

They also had just 1 win in 18 league games between August and January..... Vs. Us.

No easy games in the premier league mate.

Can see it being tougher than many expect. Marco Silva has them playing some decent stuff.

Not totally sure that they're playing particularly great football so much as being very pragmatic and smart about the way they go about things; targeting the fixtures that they're really looking to pick up points in, whilst squeezing as many points out of their matches as they can by bus-parking when they need to, and then really going for it in certain games that they've obviously targeted for points (the other week at home to Watford being a great example, especially as they played 10 vs 11).

Still, whilst they've been getting great results at home, they've still folded away to Arsenal, City and Everton without much more of a fight than they would have under Phelan.

Anyway, from the oppositions point of view, a fixture like Southampton away is kind of an interesting one as we sit between the two extremes of being a borderline impossible game barely worth chasing and a crucial home game against easy opposition.

Given that their next matches are Sunderland at home and Palace away, they won't necessarily be desperate enough to try and play an open game against us with potentially winnable matches still to come.

My guess is that they'll play what I call "Plan A - Plan B" away game (that's my name for it anyway - you may call it something different but I'm sure you know what I mean), where you sit back going for the 0-0 if you can get it, but have a series of pre-prepared plans of attack if you do go behind (things like trying to win set-pieces/suddenly going really direct with the long ball and a target-man/a predetermined set of attacking substitutions you've got up your sleeve etc.) to try and nick an equaliser.

In the event you do get an equaliser, then you go straight back into your defensive shell.

This kind of strategy seemed to be what they attempted last week against Stoke. They did almost pull it off as well, but obviously Stoke re-took the lead etc.

Either way, its the kind of savvy strategy that Marco Silva seems to have drilled into them - and I expect we'll see more of the same against us.

Still, it'll be interesting to see how we get on against that kind of opponent as it has been a while, particularly with Gabbiadini - who's games so far against West Ham, Sunderland, United, Watford, Spurs, City and Chelsea were all really open.

Forster

Cedric - Yoshida - Stephens - Bertrand

Romeu - Davis

JWP - Tadic - Redmond

Gabbiadini

Us to win 2-1

Redmond definitely back in.

Forster won't get dropped this season.

Maybe Caceras in for Stephens but I'd still prefer Yoshida and Stephens to play out the remainder.

Ok. I'll take your word for it. Do Swansea still have to play Hull? Otherwise, theoretically, either can overtake us. Unlikely, but possible.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Haven't looked, we're not going down under any circumstances outside of a points deduction.

Can't see anything other than a home win here, in the same way Chelsea beat us because they're better in virtually every position we should beat Hull because we're better in virtually every position.

The game at theirs was an anomaly too, we were in bad form at the time and hadn't quite gelled yet. Can see Redmond coming back in the side for Boufal and maybe Clasie for Davis.

Would really like to see us win this one convincingly, and keep a clean sheet. (I don't want much!). Much as I like Hull and want them to stay up, we played well last night and if we can maintain that form, bring it into this match and take our chances in front of goal - we should win.

On the flip side - they are fighting for their lives and games are running out for them. Their away form ain't good so I reckon if we score first then we should go on and win. If they score first - could be a long afternoon.

But ever the optimist - 3 nil home win.

Would really like to see us win this one convincingly, and keep a clean sheet. (I don't want much!). Much as I like Hull and want them to stay up, we played well last night and if we can maintain that form, bring it into this match and take our chances in front of goal - we should win.

On the flip side - they are fighting for their lives and games are running out for them. Their away form ain't good so I reckon if we score first then we should go on and win. If they score first - could be a long afternoon.

But ever the optimist - 3 nil home win.

We have a Hull fan in the office (born there.) They have been targeting this one as a winnable game. They are up for this one. Are we? :?

Yep, he can keep us in a relegation battle.....

Given their league position and form when he took over, the squad they had/have and lack of investment from the owner, who wants out, it is a miracle they aren't already down.

Obviously there is no guarantee he would have / would do well at saints, but given his philosophy (which would suit 'the Southampton way') it's a shame we choose Puel over him, IMO.

Given their league position and form when he took over, the squad they had/have and lack of investment from the owner, who wants out, it is a miracle they aren't already down.

Obviously there is no guarantee he would have / would do well at saints, but given his philosophy (which would suit 'the Southampton way') it's a shame we choose Puel over him, IMO.

The position they are in is also due to the 3 other candidates getting worse... and despite this "philosophy" you speak of they are still in serious trouble...

I have seen Hull but not been as impressed as you but you wont give Puel a fair chance anyway so for you to say you would rather have him over CP is no surprise..

The position they are in is also due to the 3 other candidates getting worse... and despite this "philosophy" you speak of they are still in serious trouble...

I have seen Hull but not been as impressed as you but you wont give Puel a fair chance anyway so for you to say you would rather have him over CP is no surprise..

does that apply to everyone?

are we 'lucky' to be top half because Stoke and Watford have given up already?

I'm not sure that's strictly true. If they maintain their recent form they would end up on 39 points, enough to survive most seasons, regardless of who is in the league. Under Phelan they were on course for 25. Their home record since he joined, in all competitions, is phenomenal, P9 W8 D1 L0. Thankfully we are at home against them! I don't think we should fire Puel, but to dismiss the effect Silva has had at Hull is churlish.

I'm not sure that's strictly true. If they maintain their recent form they would end up on 39 points, enough to survive most seasons, regardless of who is in the league. Under Phelan they were on course for 25. Their home record since he joined, in all competitions, is phenomenal, P9 W8 D1 L0. Thankfully we are at home against them! I don't think we should fire Puel, but to dismiss the effect Silva has had at Hull is churlish.

I did not dismiss it, just stated i was not as impressed as SKD

I did not dismiss it, just stated i was not as impressed as SKD

You said that Hull's up turn in form was due to 3 others getting worse :lol:

You're not impressed by someone who can turn a side guaranteed for the drop, to having a good chance of survival (with an awful squad at his disposal), yet you seem to think someone who can fail in Europe and take a side from 6th - mid table is god. Fair enough.

----------------Hassen

Cedric - Caceres - Yoshida - Bertrand

-----------Romeu Hojbjerg------------

JWP ------Tadic/Boufal-------Redmond

--------------Gabbiadini

Time to mix it up - not fussed on Tadic/Boufal, but tempted too stick one in as #10

Why Caceres? He won't be here in a month and I can't believe he will be any better than JS anyway, given he hasn't played competitively in a year.

Likewise Hassen. Forster isn't going to improve sitting on the bench.

Clasie in for Davis - he really didn't deserve to be dropped after West Brom, and Davis hasn't done anything to suggest he deserves an unquestioned place on the team sheet. Would start the same front three as against Chelsea, as Boufal certainly seems happier playing his way into games rather than coming on as a sub (assuming he's fit).

Clasie in for Davis - he really didn't deserve to be dropped after West Brom, and Davis hasn't done anything to suggest he deserves an unquestioned place on the team sheet. Would start the same front three as against Chelsea, as Boufal certainly seems happier playing his way into games rather than coming on as a sub (assuming he's fit).

Thought you liked Davis.... ;)

Hopefully Hull play to win and make it an open entertaining game unlike some we've seen this season, Gabbiadini to score a couple in a 2-1 win.

Don't expect a great atmosphere, Hull have only sold 800 tickets so far so there will be plenty of empty seats at the Northam end.

If you were looking for a manager this summer, would you chose Puel or Silva? I'd suggest 90%+ of chairman would go for the former.

For us I'd keep Puel for consistency and let him have next season to show us what he can do without extra games. No brainer.

For us I'd keep Puel for consistency and let him have next season to show us what he can do without extra games. No brainer.

Hasn't he had that opportunity just now?

Our last 12 games have been played over 88 days (12.5 weeks) he's masterminded just 4 wins in 12.

He seems equally ineffective with time or without?

Don't buy the theory that he will be better second season, look at the most successful managers last 2 years... Conte and Ranieri both delivered in year 1

They are a bad team, away from home at least. A bit like Burnley. They lost to a Stoke team who every man and his dog is beating.

If we were playing them at their place, it would be a completely different match.

Saw them play at the Emirates earlier in the season and they didn't look too bad to me. Palace were also a bad team both home and away when we played them and they did us over. As I say, I expect us to win but I bet it isn't as easy as you think. Mind you, you seem to predict a thumping win almost every home game against mid table teams and it never happens.

As of two weeks ago (can't find a more up to date version) Hull are 4th in the form table based on points picked up since Silva arrived. He's clearly turned them around. They were dead and buried before he got there.

Wasn't my question, and didn't directly relate to us.

Given this season, Silva would be more sort after than Puel. Even more so if he keeps them up