Saints V Hull City Build up...

saint lard

As anyone will have seen, our home record is very poor. Above the three relegation sides and not much else.

For starters, we've played fewer home games than anyone else (most have played 17, we've only played 15)

I think the only negative issue for me is the amount of goals scored at home - but we've been scoring more recently (three against Palace for instance) and this was probably more to do with not having an in form striker fit for many of those games, so hopefully that issue has been rectified.

The good news - Hull have conceded a whopping 41 goals away and scored only 9

Without even looking at the stats I know for a fact they don't average conceding nearly 6 every time they play away. If so they'd have had to have been on the end of some massive hidings, and I can't recall any other than the Bournemouth game. Granted they aren't very good away but you've done some terrible arithmetic to come up with that stat.

:lol: interested to know where he got the figures from... I thought maybe he did total goals conceded / home games played but even that only works out at about 4 per game!

I have no blinking idea where I got that from ha ha ha. How fecking daft. They have conceded the most away though but only 2.5 per game. A little better hey! Whoops!

As anyone will have seen, our home record is very poor. Above the three relegation sides and not much else.

It is very strange as our home form was very good up until the period between Christmas and new year, when we lost twice in 3 days at SMS. We had only lost at home to Chelsea in the league at home before this and only twice in the league at home in 2016. Weirdly arounf Mid late December we started improving our terrible away record. Weird.

For starters, we've played fewer home games than anyone else (most have played 17, we've only played 15)

I think the only negative issue for me is the amount of goals scored at home - but we've been scoring more recently (three against Palace for instance) and this was probably more to do with not having an in form striker fit for many of those games, so hopefully that issue has been rectified.

The good news - Hull have conceded a whopping 41 goals away and scored only 9

Do you think at the end of the season, hour home form will have improved from being bottom 6 or so?

Start off by winning today (which I think we will)

Edited by Batman

I thought that Stephens was excellent in the first half against Chelsea. We were in line with the defence and he was covering Yoshi a lot which is worrying. The problem is neither are strong enough in the air and too easily bullied. On the ground they are both very good. I think Stephen's will be excellent next to VVD or similar. We don't have Lambo or Pelle helping out at the back either now.

However the major issue is we have discarded our strong midfield. All the decent teams play with 6 defenders now, with two large mobile defenders sitting deep aka Wanyama and Romeu. That is exposing our defence big time.

Personally I'd try Stephens in that position as he has the skills and pace. We could unearth a gem.

We need a stronger bigger team all round. Team of midgets at the moment.

As for the goalkeeper.......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edited by macca155

I thought that Stephens was excellent in the first half against Chelsea. We were in line with the defence and he was covering Yoshi a lot which is worrying. The problem is neither are strong enough in the air and too easily bullied. On the ground they are both very good. I think Stephen's will be excellent next to VVD or similar. We don't have Lambo or Pelle helping out at the back either now.

However the major issue is we have discarded our strong midfield. All the decent teams play with 6 defenders now, with two large mobile defenders sitting deep aka Wanyama and Romeu. That is exposing our defence big time.

Personally I'd try Stephens in that position as he has the skills and pace. We could unearth a gem.

We need a stronger bigger team all round. Team of midgets at the moment.

As for the goalkeeper.......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

agree with all of that, esp lack of aerial presence from central defence.

As long as Caceres starts so I don't have to put up with watching the Chuckle Brothers cocking around at centre back then great.

Hojbjerg in for Davis

Hassen in for Forster

I wonder now if we were hasty letting Stek go. He wasn't amazing for us but probably less of a gamble than Hassen.

Apparently Puel had an argument with Ryan Bertrand over who had the hardest dad.

Then everyone circled them shouting 'Fight fight'.

Then Puel said 'yeah', then Bertrand said 'yeah'.

Puel said 'you take the first shot' and Ryan said 'no, you take the first shot'.

At that moment the ice-cream van arrived at Staplewood, and Les bought them both a 99 with sweets and sauce on.

In what way? Stek was absolutely garbage for us, afraid of the ball and distribution not great either. Hassen is young so will be good to see, plus he's only on a contract till the end of the year so we'll know if we're keeping him or not.

Very adventurous. Boufal, Tadic and Redmond!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

May as well at home, they are shyte away too

4 attacking players on the bench too

happy Boufal starts again, he needs to turn it on today really, for his own good

Takes a good manager to address a lightweight midfield by making it even more lightweight...

It could work, of course, but Tadic (who'll presumably be the 10) will have to show some stomach for the fight and help the midfield win back possession - something he never has thus far in his Saints career.

Glad Sims is on the bench getting a bit more match day experience. He really should've been a constant in the squad since he broke in at Christmas. We've invested enough time and patience in the likes of Rodriguez.

3-2, I reckon.

As long as Caceres starts so I don't have to put up with watching the Chuckle Brothers cocking around at centre back then great.

Hojbjerg in for Davis

Hassen in for Forster

Thankfully Claude hasn't followed this advice. We actually want to win today.

Feel bad for JWP, seems he always ends up getting dropped no matter how well he plays.

Has he played well since the England call up? He's mostly been a miles-off-the-pace passenger to my recollection.

He seems to have improved a bit this season but his fundamental weaknesses show no sign of progress: he can't tackle, he loses every 50-50, he's physically weak and easily knocked off the ball, he's slow of movement and in decision making under pressure, and he has no natural position that ideally suits his attributes.

Nice chap, though.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

What is in lack of balance?

Looks like 4-2-3-1 to me...

Forster

Cedric   Stephens Yoshida Bertrand

Romeu   Davis

Boufal       Tadic         Redmond

Gabbiadini

Sometimes we seem to struggle transferring from defence to attack without JWP. IMO.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk