HMRC Raid Premier League Clubs

Johnny Bognor

Seems its Income Tax and NIC related.

Seems it's a lot of things if you believe the meedjah. Transfers and agent activities are also being cited. Now over the buying and selling of Payet from and to those dubious folk around the OM I could well believe that. The OM is a three ringed circus and anyone who has any dealings with them will probably come out of it smelling of shîte.

Would say that it has something to do with clubs that buy a high amount of French players.

HMRC statement has said that french authorities are also helping with the investigation

Would say it has something to do with clubs that have spivs for owners.

4 French players agents arrested apparently, don't know who though. It's obviously about transfers between French clubs and West Ham and Newcastle (maybe others). Base seems to be about occult image rights not declared for N.I and Income Tax purposes. Now methinks you can bet your old boots that this is about Marseille (at least amongst others) again.

4 French players agents arrested apparently, don't know who though. It's obviously about transfers between French clubs and West Ham and Newcastle (maybe others). Base seems to be about occult image rights not declared for N.I and Income Tax purposes. Now methinks you can bet your old boots that this is about Marseille (at least amongst others) again.

Can see why those two clubs are involved in that case. Payet being the standout for WHU....but then newcastle went big with Cabella, Thauvin - Marseille involved in all those.

I realise you are using this in the literal sense of knowledge of the hidden but occult image rights just conjures up images of West Ham players dressed as witches and ghosts....

On a different note - slightly - Barton has been banned from Football for 18 months for betting irregularity or something.

Can we get the points back from the Burnley away game in that case....!

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11708/10851609/burnleys-joey-barton-banned-for-18-months-by-football-association-over-betting-rule-breaches

that game and the nature of our loss still annoys me now...

I realise you are using this in the literal sense of knowledge of the hidden but occult image rights just conjures up images of West Ham players dressed as witches and ghosts....

Perhaps it does but occult in it's true sense means hidden, clandestine or secret. Comes from the latin occultus I expect which means exactly those things. Now when you're talking of witchcraft, sorcery and the "old gods" you need to put "the" in front of it.

Has anyone got an educated opinion as to what could potentially happen regarding points deductions? I'm guessing that, depending upon the severity of the allegations, if proven, the implications could be severe. I bet Swansea and Hull fans are hoping there's a points deduction & that it applies this season!

On a different note - slightly - Barton has been banned from Football for 18 months for betting irregularity or something.

Can we get the points back from the Burnley away game in that case....!

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11708/10851609/burnleys-joey-barton-banned-for-18-months-by-football-association-over-betting-rule-breaches

How do you think Barton's betting influenced the Burnley/Saints result?

Has anyone got an educated opinion as to what could potentially happen regarding points deductions? I'm guessing that, depending upon the severity of the allegations, if proven, the implications could be severe. I bet Swansea and Hull fans are hoping there's a points deduction & that it applies this season!

Points deductions for what? Employing players who use doubtful french agents, don't think so. Chelsea are also seemingly slightly involved, don't think they'll be getting any points deductions either although Spurs fans probably hope they will.

The Sun is reporting that HMRC raided Chelsea, as well.

so that gives us a far more limited number of players. Batshuayi,Luiz, Zouma, Azpilicueta. 2 of whom came from where....yep you've guessed it...Marseille. Marseille have been under the microscope for various trading offences for about as long as I can remember, most of them (apart from buying the odd match that is) involve illegal payments to agents.

Points deductions for what? Employing players who use doubtful french agents, don't think so. Chelsea are also seemingly slightly involved, don't think they'll be getting any points deductions either although Spurs fans probably hope they will.

Is it agents though?

Sky News understands that Newcastle managing director Lee Charnley is among those arrested.

Seems a little more serious than agents dodging a bit of tax.

Edited by doddisalegend

Is it agents though?

Sky News understands that Newcastle managing director Lee Charnley is among those arrested.

Seems a little more serious than agents dodging a bit of tax.

As I explained further down (or up depending which way you read the forum). The 4 arrested in France are players agents and the affair is about agents arranging for players to pay less tax and NI in the UK by using devious image rights schemes.

Marseille are famous for this in their 2 previous incarnations and I'm sure they're involved if only passively by not denouncing the practice. HMRC have obviously had a tip off from someone who didn't get his cut. What is quite strange is that the Corsican Financial Affairs bureau is in some way involved and that's probably mafia or nationalist related. UK clubs won't

gets points deductions for this because it's revenue matter, no-one is suggesting that there's anything illegal which affects sporting performances, just a measly 5 million in lost tax and NI revenues.

Thanks, that explains why you get 10 points deducted for going into administration perfectly legally

But surely that's because you've altered results by employing players, coaches and means for which you can't pay.

Doubt if any of the clubs involved would have gone into administration because they paid a bit more tax or NI.

As I explained further down (or up depending which way you read the forum). The 4 arrested in France are players agents and the affair is about agents arranging for players to pay less tax and NI in the UK by using devious image rights schemes.

Marseille are famous for this in their 2 previous incarnations and I'm sure they're involved if only passively by not denouncing the practice. HMRC have obviously had a tip off from someone who didn't get his cut. What is quite strange is that the Corsican Financial Affairs bureau is in some way involved and that's probably mafia or nationalist related. UK clubs won't

gets points deductions for this because it's revenue matter, no-one is suggesting that there's anything illegal which affects sporting performances, just a measly 5 million in lost tax and NI revenues.

Interesting thanks. If a high-level club official commits a criminal offence during his execution of club transfer business (possible considering the reported arrests in Newcastle) I would have thought that the FA would want to impose some kind of sanction against the club. Perhaps a transfer embargo?

But surely that's because you've altered results by employing players, coaches and means for which you can't pay.

Doubt if any of the clubs involved would have gone into administration because they paid a bit more tax or NI.

But the implication of club officials also being arrested is that they are complicit in the activity... and therefore gained an unfair advantage in some way from the arrangements. i.e. they were able to secure the player's services for less than they otherwise would have had to pay.

Above is all conjecture of course and who knows where the investigations will lead.

But surely having £5m extra ill-gotten gains to spend on wages gives you an unfair sporting advantage