Season Ticket Sales

spyinthesky

In fact, you can see loads of people on the steps walking back to their seats.

PS That's the sort of photo that usually does the rounds on the Pompey messageboards.

It may well have been after kick-off, there were long queues outside, we didn't get in until 5-10 mins in and there were still loads behind us. Thought it was an 8pm kick-off for SKY games, guess a few others did too.

From my postion in the Kingsland the stadium looked full. I certainy didn't see all those empty seats in the Itchen so I guess that picture was taken just after half-time, when people hadn't returned to their seats.

The attendance was 31,425 and the Club will certainly be happy with that many tickets sold. Our average home gate this season will be around 31,000, our highest for many years.In fact, one of the highest in our entire history.

Every season ticket holder I know, bar 1, did not attend that game.

Well, it was only Manchester United, so not much of draw (this season). Quite a few season ticket holders around me not there and my friend couldn't make it as she was babysitting the grandchildren.

There are difficulties for some people in going to mid-week matches, particularly rearranged ones. Plus you then get Southern cancelling the direct train to Littlehampton - again - which rather illustrates my point. Luckily I got to the station early, got the Portsmouth train and (surprise) found the Littlehampton train at Fareham, they couldn't be ar8ed to run it from Southampton, nor did they bother to tell anybody of the alternatives. Rant over.

Every season ticket holder I know, bar 1, did not attend that game.

I have two seats but for both the Man U and Arsenal games my grandson couldnt go, my daughter couldn't get a baby sitter and I couldn't find anybody who wanted to go. Neither game was a sell-out so I couldn't sell them back to the club.

Looking at the availability on the official site's seating plan, it seems at least 25% of season ticket holders haven't renewed. This comes at the end of a season when we have had the 2nd biggest average home gate in our entire history, largely as a result of the feelgood factor a year ago. A big win today would make a difference.

But would have been counted in the "attendance". Attendance figures are based on tickets sold, not turnstile clicks.

Indeed. There is no way there were 31k in the ground for the United game. From the Northam I could see plenty of empty seats in the top half of the chapel and plenty in the Itchen South.

I'm just looking at the OS.

I looked at it a few weeks ago and I'm looking at it now, when I looked a few weeks ago there was a lot of grey, however NOW, there is a smattering of green all over the stands especially in Northam.

Looks like LOADS of people haven't renewed their tickets. That looks horrendous actually.

I looked at it a few weeks ago and I'm looking at it now, when I looked a few weeks ago there was a lot of grey, however NOW, there is a smattering of green all over the stands especially in Northam.

Looks like LOADS of people haven't renewed their tickets. That looks horrendous actually.

Combination of boring football, constantly changing kick off times and in some cases a shambles regarding club parking arrangements

Combination of boring football' date=' constantly changing kick off times and in some cases a shambles regarding club parking arrangements[/quote']

In fairness, the fact that new season tickets cost the same as renewals means that people can wait and see what business we do in the summer and get a season ticket based on that.

Combination of boring football' date=' constantly changing kick off times and in some cases a shambles regarding club parking arrangements[/quote']

My main gripe was pricing , no early bird/ renewal discount said to me my long standing commitment to the club by buying a season ticket every year for a decade or so was no longer valued.

My main gripe was pricing , no early bird/ renewal discount said to me my long standing commitment to the club by buying a season ticket every year for a decade or so was no longer valued.

So saving a few £ really influences your decision on whether to buy a season ticket or not?

I'm quite excited. When we get to the cup final next season (which of course we will as any manager can get to a cup final its easy) I'm going to get the pick of the seats at Wembley as one of only 5 ST holders left....happy days

I'm quite excited. When we get to the cup final next season (which of course we will as any manager can get to a cup final its easy) I'm going to get the pick of the seats at Wembley as one of only 5 ST holders left....happy days

Well you can do that without us getting to a cup final..

PS

Watch Saints at Wembley next season I mean ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edited by Give it to Ron

Well you can do that without us getting to a cup final..

PS

Watch Saints at Wembley next season I mean ��

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Watching the might Tottenham Hotexsaints of Poch, Toby, Victor and Ryan...

Edited by doddisalegend

Next season we will have a new manager (probably) and new players so why would you base your decision to buy a season ticket on this past season? I'm not suggesting people are glory chasers or anything. I suppose it's why you never find a poor bookie - form changes.

Can't be assed with games being constantly moved, traditional family matches such as Boxing Day and New Year's Day moved... sitting next to the 1/2 and 1/2 brigade...making me pay to see the same half time entertainment( honestly a little imagination goes along way). Next season we will pick our games and sit as near to the away fans or In the northam, more away games, ,sounds lame but I'm going back to the way I used to support the team where I'm in control of things, it's was fun for four years but it all turned a little stale

Huddersfield have announced that those season ticket holders who've had their seat for the last 9 seasons get next years season ticket for £100. Renewals at £199 for the rest. Fair play to them and their chairman.

Boring football is having a big effect on sales. People don't like watching it.

This and the fact that the season ticket price remains the same or increases slightly every single year yet we finish the season knowing that we'll be watching a completely different team at the start of the following season.

I've renewed but going to Saints is a family affair for me so I wouldn't ever consider not renewing but I can completely understand why some people are thinking twice about shelling out £600-700 for another season of cr*p football if Puel stays.

I've renewed but going to Saints is a family affair for me so I wouldn't ever consider not renewing but I can completely understand why some people are thinking twice about shelling out £600-700 for another season of cr*p football if Puel stays.

Well, I've renewed. We could get great footie with Puel as he gets to grips and new players or we could have utter crap with a new manager, but I constantly thank the powers that I'm generally optimistic, and that I'm not Heisenberg or Pluto or the rest who are glass almost empty even when it's pretty full. I do appreciate some people enjoy being negative moaners, whether they're justified or not. But the constant changes to match KO times and Southern railways are both, I believe, legitimate reasons for negativity! :-)

Notice that Huddersfield are offering season tickets at £199 reducing to £100 for those who have had a season ticket for a number of years.

Meanwhile there is a suggestion elsewhere that clubs work on a general rule of 80% renewal rate.

If so this would mean that around 4,800 SMS season ticket holders will not renew (out of a reported 24,000 last season)

From comments on here I reckon there may be more than 20% non renewals this year.

Normally the 20% loss would be made up by new season ticket holders but I guess the general low level of enthusiasm for next season will badly affect new purchases.

Lets hope there will be good news on the player front (and to some the management situation) to provide us all with a positive outlet for next season.

• 3 weeks later...

Saints' support is greater than the confines of St Mary' or the Dell ever allowed and the modesty of our fans means that potential will probably never be realized.

30,000 + average home gates in every top flight season at St Mary's would probably be similar to Everton's 36,000-38,000 in a bigger capacity stadium.

The Club price the tickets to just flll the stadium and that's what they do.

Cue one of the 'ever so umble' lot telling me that we are a really, really small club.

(with the 11th biggest home gates in the Premier League in spite of our small capacity)

Saints' support is greater than the confines of St Mary' or the Dell ever allowed and the modesty of our fans means that potential will probably never be realized.

30,000 + average home gates in every top flight season at St Mary's would probably be similar to Everton's 36,000-38,000 in a bigger capacity stadium.

The Club price the tickets to just flll the stadium and that's what they do.

Cue one of the 'ever so umble' lot telling me that we are a really, really small club.

(with the 11th biggest home gates in the Premier League in spite of our small capacity)

Would be interesting to see you name a single contributor to this forum that has ever described Southampton as a "really, really small club".

Meanwhile, on plant earth, Southampton Football Club has no waiting list for season tickets, still by some distance the best metric in the best business cases for investing millions in stadium expansion.

Also on planet earth our position in the attendance table is relative exactly to our capacity compared to the other clubs.

Our position on that list is not "in spite" our ground size - it's as much to do with all the clubs with smaller grounds than us.

Other than you are right on the money.

Edited by CB Fry

I have to say I'm still waiting but feel more encouraged; the best part of last seasons performances were drodge. I need to justify, to myself, that my reasons for not renewing become in-valid. ie I'm not having the club take the proverbial by taking my money then offloading VVD and I'd like to hear VVD come out and say he's not going anywhere; having stated that there are a few who I reckon need to go and, until MP's appointment, I thought that Jayrod was one of them. However, if we are going for the pressing game, (or headless chicken chasing), then that's what suited him so now I'm not so sure he should go.

Unlike Pochettino's team it sounds as though this guy has a plan B so could be good.

I have to say I'm still waiting but feel more encouraged; the best part of last seasons performances were drodge. I need to justify, to myself, that my reasons for not renewing become in-valid. ie I'm not having the club take the proverbial by taking my money then offloading VVD and I'd like to hear VVD come out and say he's not going anywhere; having stated that there are a few who I reckon need to go and, until MP's appointment, I thought that Jayrod was one of them. However, if we are going for the pressing game, (or headless chicken chasing), then that's what suited him so now I'm not so sure he should go.

Unlike Pochettino's team it sounds as though this guy has a plan B so could be good.

Cue that photo.

If VVD goes it won't be that we only kept him for season ticket renewals.

Would be interesting to see you name a single contributor to this forum that has ever described Southampton as a "really, really small club".

Meanwhile, on plant earth, Southampton Football Club has no waiting list for season tickets, still by some distance the best metric in the best business cases for investing millions in stadium expansion.

Also on planet earth our position in the attendance table is relative exactly to our capacity compared to the other clubs.

Our position on that list is not "in spite" our ground size - it's as much to do with all the clubs with smaller grounds than us.

Other than you are right on the money.

As usual, you are wrong. Even if St Mary's still had the same capacity as Leicester's stadium, which it doesn't, we'd still only have the 21st biggest capacity of English football clubs' stadiums. in the case of the Dell it was much worse than that. Yet, in all measurable terms of fan base on social media etc, our support is much bigger than that, usually placing us in the top 10 or 11, in spite of our lack of trophies. There are very few clubs - perhaps only 5 or 6 - who would get gates bigger than ours if they'd had our history of underachievement and disappointment, with only major 1 trophy to show for more than 130 years of competition and 14 semi-finals.

As usual, you are wrong. Even if St Mary's still had the same capacity as Leicester's stadium, which it doesn't, we'd still only have the 21st biggest capacity of English football clubs' stadiums. in the case of the Dell it was much worse than that. Yet, in all measurable terms of fan base on social media etc, our support is much bigger than that, usually placing us in the top 10 or 11, in spite of our lack of trophies. There are very few clubs - perhaps only 5 or 6 - who would get gates bigger than ours if they'd had our history of underachievement and disappointment, with only major 1 trophy to show for more than 130 years of competition and 14 semi-finals.

So you're saying that Saints should add extra seats on or so because of the Moroccans liking the club's Facebook page after Boufal joined?

You're talking utter sh it.

There are plenty of clubs that could get gates like ours - just above 30k - if they were in our position. Derby, Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and so on. Getting 30k as a mid-table Prem club is pretty p iss easy if you have the stadium capacity - it's not some miracle driven by our huge fanbase.

The true measure of a fan base is not the drivel you're writing about social media.

It's asking what our core fan base might be when times are tough.

Give us, say, two drab-ish seasons in the Championship and we'd be in the mid-twenty thousands. 23k, as low as 20k.

Derby, Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Wolves, Norwich, Leeds can match it by being drab Championship teams now. Some, despite being achieving pi ss all over our Championship attendances.

All those clubs achieve the same level of attendance we would get if we were there. And the reverse is true, they'd all be 30k just like us if they were 8th in the Prem (if their stadium allowed it).

So, as usual, you're utterly clueless.

Found anyone saying we are a "really really small club" yet? Thought not.

You're talking utter sh it.

There are plenty of clubs that could get gates like ours - just above 30k - if they were in our position. Derby, Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and so on. Getting 30k as a mid-table Prem club is pretty p iss easy if you have the stadium capacity - it's not some miracle driven by our huge fanbase.

The true measure of a fan base is not the drivel you're writing about social media.

It's asking what our core fan base might be when times are tough.

Give us, say, two drab-ish seasons in the Championship and we'd be in the mid-twenty thousands. 23k, as low as 20k.

Derby, Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Wolves, Norwich, Leeds can match it by being drab Championship teams now. Some, despite being achieving pi ss all over our Championship attendances.

All those clubs achieve the same level of attendance we would get if we were there. And the reverse is true, they'd all be 30k just like us if they were 8th in the Prem (if their stadium allowed it).

So, as usual, you're utterly clueless.

Found anyone saying we are a "really really small club" yet? Thought not.

Read your own post, you smug buffoon.

I'm only replying to this as I had too many beers at the football club annual presentation, and now winding down with another one at home.

Our current capacity may well be appropriate, but I'd love to know what opinion CBFry expressed when we announced a 32k stadium after being at The Dell with 14.5 k. The problem is that said poster is a reactionary, miserabilist old fart (at least in thinking) who thinks himself a sensible antidote to the dreamers and optimists. The sheer wearisome ennui he expresses leads me to think he should really go and load 6 rounds into a Webley and go off to play Russian roulette.

When St Mary's was built there were many who said we would struggle to get 30,000 week in week out......but we did. Indeed the planned stadium capacity at Stoneham was only 25,000 which was considered by Lowe to be ample. I am not saying we would fill a 40,000 arena, but can't see the harm in extending one side, presumably the Kingsland, to get a capacity of 36-7000. We can't just sit still. Southampton is a growing city, you only have to visit the down town area and Woolston to see all the building activity. All within walking distance of St Mary's.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how many STs we have sold this summer but even Rupert Lowe said if it approached 22,000 we should expand - here is his statement lifted from a programme in 2002

One of the regular questions we get asked is whether we could expand the capacity at St Mary’s and if so how. Our stadium has been designed and built with the capability of being expanded to seat more people. Such a route would mean lifting the roof to install an additional tier of seating around the top. From an engineering point of view, we know it to be feasible, however, I should leave you with the thought that we are only in the second season in our new home and therefore have no plans at present for expansion. If season ticket numbers rise towards 22,000 and we are selling out, a review of this position will be necessary”

I don't know how many STs we have sold this summer but even Rupert Lowe said if it approached 22,000 we should expand - here is his statement lifted from a programme in 2002

One of the regular questions we get asked is whether we could expand the capacity at St Mary’s and if so how. Our stadium has been designed and built with the capability of being expanded to seat more people. Such a route would mean lifting the roof to install an additional tier of seating around the top. From an engineering point of view, we know it to be feasible, however, I should leave you with the thought that we are only in the second season in our new home and therefore have no plans at present for expansion. If season ticket numbers rise towards 22,000 and we are selling out, a review of this position will be necessary”

It's all academic because Lowe isn't in charge but He didn't actually commit to expansion in that statement. He says if ST numbers approach 22k, a review would be necessary. And what may have been a trigger point then probably wouldn't apply now.

22k STs

3k away

leaves 6k match by match tickets

How many games are sell out where we are getting 31.5k? Not many really. There seems to be high 30k but that might be down to segregation or the way of counting attendances (ie the ticket might be sold but not used for the game). Meaningful expansion would have to be 5k minimim, more like 8-10k. Would we get crowds that big (and if so, would they improve the foot bridge over the railway?)?

I didn't think there was anyone more stupid on here than Always, but then you turned up: a semi-literate idiot.

Only just seen this :lol: So I'm the idiot, even though you're saying Saints should add more seats because they have 1.6m likes on Facebook?