Season Ticket Sales

spyinthesky

No matter how poor the entertainment it has never crossed my mind not to renew my 3. I've had a season ticket without fail every season since 1994. Every STH I know probably about 25-30 have also renewed but there aren't any Puel fans amongst them. Quite a few just haven't bothered going to the last few games but they still have renewed.

More importantly anyone know what's going on with h the car parking particularly car park K?

I am renewing mine today.

With all the reminder letters, emails and texts it might have been easier for the club to phone those who hadn't renewed yet to find out why. Would have given many of us the opportunity to make our feelings on Puel known at the time of renewal.

In reality my protest of waiting to the last minute has been completely pointless!

I've renewed mine. Biggest hit of the year on my credit card, but with good timing won't have to pay until July. I'm not sure I really debated the issue with myself, but as next season is likely to be my last actually playing on a Sunday afternoon I'm just hoping for not too many date changes and better football. We're about where we should be for the stature of the club - it's just that I want to be on my feet a few more times a season..

We are not renewing our current 2 - it used to be 3 - but nowt to do with the football on offer.

Although Sky's random scheduling has proved to be a challenge, it's more that the journey to/from London has finally got to me.

In another life I would live in Soton and be able to walk to SMS.

The kids are 4th generation Saints fans but the missus still helpfully asks why can't we support QPR/Fulham or Brentford, all of which are walkable from the house.

Maybe after a year out we will miss the Saints drug and come crawling back.

COYR.

We are not renewing our current 2 - it used to be 3 - but nowt to do with the football on offer.

Although Sky's random scheduling has proved to be a challenge, it's more that the journey to/from London has finally got to me.

The kids are 4th generation Saints fans but the missus still helpfully asks why can't we support QPR/Fulham or Brentford, all of which are walkable from the house.

COYR.

On the plus side.... you've got 7 or 8 very easy away games next year (Arse, Chelsea, Spurs, WHam, Watford, Palace, Brighton, maybe Fulham or Reading...) and you can get to the midlands much easier than Sotonians can!

COYR.

My Daughter and I have also not renewed for the first time in 6 years. We travel by train from Weymouth and where there are so many Sunday games it makes travelling more difficult because of so many bus transfers due to Sunday work on the line. It would just about be worth the trouble and the expense if the football on offer was more entertaining. Will choose our games (Saturdays) next season, with membership. Also my Wife has had to give up work for health reasons so we are down to my 2 modest pensions,

Does anyone know if there is anyway of getting the seat plan online showing which seats haven't renewed ? Just interested to see if there are any extra ones near me.

They've taken the season ticket seating plan offline for this week whilst they sort out the various transfer requests. I assume it'll be back on line next week. Best to call the ticket office on 023 8178 0780 if you want/need to know this week (although I don't think you'll be able to buy additional seats until next week.)

Hmm. Don't think Brighton is much easier than Southampton, plus it's Southern if you're going by train! Best join London Saints if you aren't already a member as they might help on ticket availability?

I do London to Southampton every game, London to Brighton isn't just easier (direct from Victoria or London Bridge, shortest travel time is 45mins) it's also a fraction of the cost. London to Southampton off peak day return is ~£40 without a rail card, London to Brighton is ~£20 with a travel card.

Also the Southern thing is annoying but affects weekends for less thank weekdays as the majority of strikes are on week days.

But apart from that you're spot on.

What i would say is the major benefit for London Saints in exile is that we get a much easier ride on all away games. Not only does virtually every game have a direct train into London, but also you're far more likely to get discounted tickets then you are from Southampton.

For example with a bit of pre-planning i can get London to Manchester for about £30, London to Birmingham this season was £8 return, booked early enough Sunderland and Boro would've been under £50 return.

You don't get those prices from Southampton as normally you have to get somewhere then change to carry on.

They've taken the season ticket seating plan offline for this week whilst they sort out the various transfer requests. I assume it'll be back on line next week. Best to call the ticket office on 023 8178 0780 if you want/need to know this week (although I don't think you'll be able to buy additional seats until next week.)

Many thanks, it was more for curiosity (I've renewed mine ) than need ,I'll have a look next week.

Renewed after much thought. Hopefully things will change over the summer that will help things improve next season. The awful home football this season made me seriously consider not renewing, together with the increased frustration of travelling due to road works etc. But after over 50 years of support the thought of not going regularly was too much. Hope its not too badd being in with the kiddy-winks next season, could have moved but like where I sit and the people around me.

Have heard from a couple of people that they have been receiving emails, texts and direct phone calls asking why they have not renewed this season.

Both intend to renew but feel that the deadline is too close for them from a financial perspective.

When asked why aren't you renewing both said 'The boring style of play at home games'

Incidentally both go to quite a few away games and have been relatively satisfied with form away from SMS.

I wonder if the pressure on non renewers is common practice or symptomatic of poor sales this year.

Have heard from a couple of people that they have been receiving emails, texts and direct phone calls asking why they have not renewed this season.

Both intend to renew but feel that the deadline is too close for them from a financial perspective.

When asked why aren't you renewing both said 'The boring style of play at home games'

Incidentally both go to quite a few away games and have been relatively satisfied with form away from SMS.

I wonder if the pressure on non renewers is common practice or symptomatic of poor sales this year.

So they lied?

Same thing happened to me. Had a missed call from the club, so I emailed them back. Got a reply asking why I hadn't renewed etc. So I told them the truth - I wont be renewing until Puel leaves the club. Wonder how many they have sold so far?

Same thing happened to me. Had a missed call from the club, so I emailed them back. Got a reply asking why I hadn't renewed etc. So I told them the truth - I wont be renewing until Puel leaves the club. Wonder how many they have sold so far?

Comical. Don't rush back

I have heard similar from my neighbour last night. He said something about a deadline extension until June. Any truth in this?

Yep I got a call today asking why I hadn't renewed. I said no rush, the price is the same right up to the start of the season, matey reminded me that I could lose my seat but there's plenty around me that have been on general sale while I've been sat where I sit.

Sales have been poor. A mate of mine got a call too, he had other reasons for not renewing and the guy on the phone said "that makes a change, everyone I've spoken to has said it's about Puel".

our fan base is the one where should we ever get relegated, our season ticket holders would fall down to about 13k.

You can see why talk of expanding the stadium is so pointless the slightest hint of a less than stellar season and people (are allegedly) ready to jack it in...

Yep I got a call today asking why I hadn't renewed. I said no rush, the price is the same right up to the start of the season, matey reminded me that I could lose my seat but there's plenty around me that have been on general sale while I've been sat where I sit.

Exactly what I said. Very stupid of the club not to offer some sort of renewal discount / incentive, especially with all the uncertainty with manager / owners at the moment.

There are a number of reasons why I haven't renewed, but in the main it's down to work and other commitments with the amount of midweek / Sunday (granted these should drop considerably) games, I am just not getting value for money. Especially with the dross served up this year.

It shouldn't make too much difference really, I may miss out on the big ticket games like away to Brighton and Bmouth, but so be it.

Should we keep VVD, bring in a few exciting players and get a decent manager I may reconsider and renew a week before the season at least that way, I should get some value/excitement even if I'm missing 5 or more games a season.

The fact the club have been making calls really does suggest to me that numbers are down, which to be honest will be one of the reasons that Puel is sacked.

You can see why talk of expanding the stadium is so pointless the slightest hint of a less than stellar season and people (are allegedly) ready to jack it in...

TBH, after the **** show that we put up against Hull, I was tempted not to use the STs again this season. Bored sh1tless I was during that match. Had a complete feeling of ambivalence with the matches after. Of course I want us to win all games, score lots of goals etc, but 17 goals at home in 18 matched. Zzzzzz. It's all about entertainment, and I am not sure that my trips to SMS are very entertaining.

Still, I renewed 2 tickets for next season. Gives me a great excuse to get away from the Mrs.

Heard today they are down by quite a bit so far.

The fact we didn't sell out against Arsenal and the 1000s of empty seats (despite what the club say the attendance was) against United last night, seems fans are voting with their feet.

I was a the game, you are talking crap there were not 1000 empty seats yesterday.

TBH, after the **** show that we put up against Hull, I was tempted not to use the STs again this season. Bored sh1tless I was during that match. Had a complete feeling of ambivalence with the matches after. Of course I want us to win all games, score lots of goals etc, but 17 goals at home in 18 matched. Zzzzzz. It's all about entertainment, and I am not sure that my trips to SMS are very entertaining.

Still, I renewed 2 tickets for next season. Gives me a great excuse to get away from the Mrs.

I renewed with no hesitation but like I've said before going to the footie is about more than just the football. People are free to do as they please if they aren't enjoying it then fine don't do it...but the point still stands if people are this quick to walk away there will never be any need to expanded the stadium with such fair weather fans.

perhaps the additional effort on season ticket sales this year has nothing to do with number being down, and everything to do with a potential sale to new owners?

just a thought.....

Equally, I doubt there are many season ticket holders who sit in a large group. Probably most are in 2,3,4 folks sitting together and it is a big enough stadium, with a small enough season ticket base to wait until the last minute to buy and move seats if they have to. There is almost no incentive to pay for next May's fixtures, this May.......

For me, the football has been tedious, and despite my ST, I have missed more games this season that ever before. I've still renewed, because I'm not a Puel fan, I'm a Southampton fan, and that's simple enough....

i know a fair few that are not renewing. Style of football has bored them to death.

Very disappointed to not get an early bird discount and that's a bit of a **** take for loyal fans. Club go on about how they have frozen ticket prices but gate revenue is pretty small fry anyway so absolutely no reason to increase ticket prices. I've never known of the club cold calling fans before, that's a pretty sad state of affairs but seeing the non existent atmosphere at many of the home matches then it's hardly surprising. I've renewed but for the first time in many years seriously questioned it.

Plenty of empty seats for last night's match against Moan Utd but that says as much about them as it does us, both teams less exciting than they have been previously.

Reckon season tickets will be down as it's a big financial ask for what's been served up this year and that we lose so many players each season. However good the club think they are at dealing with popular players and managers leaving each season, it is a long way from fun, which is what football is supposed to be.

I renewed with no hesitation but like I've said before going to the footie is about more than just the football. People are free to do as they please if they aren't enjoying it then fine don't do it...but the point still stands if people are this quick to walk away there will never be any need to expanded the stadium with such fair weather fans.

Unless it's a short term protest.

I was a the game, you are talking crap there were not 1000 empty seats yesterday.

I was also at the game. Easily more than 1000 empty seats in the top half of the Chapel alone.

Saw a picture on twitter of the Itchen looking sparse too.

Edit: here's the picture. fb507afc9729a57f76ac0a2efc39b4e1.jpg

I was also at the game. Easily more than 1000 empty seats in the top half of the Chapel alone.

Saw a picture on twitter of the Itchen looking sparse too.

Edit: here's the picture. fb507afc9729a57f76ac0a2efc39b4e1.jpg

From my postion in the Kingsland the stadium looked full. I certainy didn't see all those empty seats in the Itchen so I guess that picture was taken just after half-time, when people hadn't returned to their seats.

The attendance was 31,425 and the Club will certainly be happy with that many tickets sold. Our average home gate this season will be around 31,000, our highest for many years.In fact, one of the highest in our entire history.

From my postion in the Kingsland the stadium looked full. I certainy didn't see all those empty seats in the Itchen so I guess that picture was taken just after half-time, when people hadn't returned to their seats.

The attendance was 31,425 and the Club will certainly be happy with that many tickets sold. Our average home gate this season will be around 31,000, our highest for many years.In fact, one of the highest in our entire history.

In fact, you can see loads of people on the steps walking back to their seats.

PS That's the sort of photo that usually does the rounds on the Pompey messageboards.

Interesting reading a similar thread on the Stoke forum

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/268557/renewed-early-bird-today

that's an interesting read and matches a lot of what you see on here It's not just the dull football, it's the non existent atmosphere, sterile experience of modern day Premier league football, paying £40 per game to sit next to a tourist in a half and half scarf taking selfies, and if you do attempt to stand and sing there is a jobsworth in a high vis jacket just waiting to "sit down fellas" , there was a thread on this forum earlier this season discussing not enjoying it anymore if anyone can dig it out.

away games I've done have been more enjoyable, can see why people are losing interest in the St Marys experience.

that's an interesting read and matches a lot of what you see on here It's not just the dull football, it's the non existent atmosphere, sterile experience of modern day Premier league football, paying £40 per game to sit next to a tourist in a half and half scarf taking selfies, and if you do attempt to stand and sing there is a jobsworth in a high vis jacket just waiting to "sit down fellas" , there was a thread on this forum earlier this season discussing not enjoying it anymore if anyone can dig it out.

away games I've done have been more enjoyable, can see why people are losing interest in the St Marys experience.

I have a good friend who is a fanatical Stoke supporter. Goes to every home and away game regardless. There are some interesting parallels. He says, and has said for several years that, especially under Pulis, that if they win it's just about bearable to watch the dire football they serve up. When they start losing they lose substantial levels of support apart from the minority hardcore like himself. It's an entertainment business and clubs need backsides on seats. Only a few thousand of those will come hell or high water and it's the rest that clubs need to attract. Not just Saints. If folks stop attending the club will act. It's not rocket science.

I have a good friend who is a fanatical Stoke supporter. Goes to every home and away game regardless. There are some interesting parallels. He says, and has said for several years that, especially under Pulis, that if they win it's just about bearable to watch the dire football they serve up. When they start losing they lose substantial levels of support apart from the minority hardcore like himself. It's an entertainment business and clubs need backsides on seats. Only a few thousand of those will come hell or high water and it's the rest that clubs need to attract. Not just Saints. If folks stop attending the club will act. It's not rocket science.

Will they though? If you are a club chairmen who has a manger who keeps you in the PL every season playing defensive football like Pulis is he not worth more financially to your club than the fans.

We are in a time when PL TV money dwarves anything brought in by match day going fans. From a purely money view having happy fans in a lower league is worth less than having upset fans in the PL. It's another reason PL clubs are so keen to attract the match day tourist types I reckon.