Harry Maguire

kitch

If Hull go down this season, he's got to be looking for a move, surely? Big, strong, aggressive and can use his feet, which would appeal to Puel.

Someone like us would be a natural progression for him, and should (by some twist of fate) we manage to keep VVD, he and this guy lining up would be a decent centre-back pairing. He'd be a long-awaited Fonte replacement, and with Yoshida and Stephens providing decent cover, I think that'd be a good setup.

Personally I think the club will stick with Stephens and Yoshi though. They've both done well respectively this season, but personally speaking I think the club need to be aiming slightly higher if they seriously want to push on next season.

Anyway, I bought Maguire on FIFA 17 last week, and seeing as I signed Long (FIFA 14), Austin (FIFA 15) and Redmond (FIFA 16) before the club did, I must be an expert at football by now!

I also bought Josh King.....

Be interesting to see if Yoshida is happy to go back to being 3rd choice next season if, as expected, we sign a replacement for Fonte. I rate him (more so with a VVD alongside him) and couldn't think of many better 3rd choice centre backs outside the top 3 or 4 but think he might feel he has done enough this season to justify a first team spot from now on, either here or somewhere else.

Be interesting to see if Yoshida is happy to go back to being 3rd choice next season if, as expected, we sign a replacement for Fonte. I rate him (more so with a VVD alongside him) and couldn't think of many better 3rd choice centre backs outside the top 3 or 4 but think he might feel he has done enough this season to justify a first team spot from now on, either here or somewhere else.

I could live with Yoshida and VVD together, as I don't think Yoshida was any worse than Fonte at the beginning of the season. That said, it's still 'settling' as opposed to pushing on for the next big thing. Stephens as 3rd or 4th is fine by me too, but I think Gardos is surplus.

Why do we have to rank them 1-4. Some clubs rotate. Yes, I would have VVD as a preferred starter when available, and use Yoshi, Stephens plus one on a rotation basis,

He's a good player, very strong and powerful but also good with the ball at his feet. Pretty sure he's on the radar of a lot of clubs, if we were interested we'd be a decent move for him for sure. There's still a few issues to iron out with him, but he has all the tools for sure. I think Alfie Mawson is also a very good up and coming English CB, but a little more raw round the edges.

I think I read that Maguire is out of contract next season, so whether Hull stay up or not, he's not going to cost the earth. We'll clearly be in for a first choice CB this summer, so it'll be interesting to see which names come out of the woodwork. Maybe they can resurrect the file of Davide Astori.

He's no better than Stephens. I watched the Watford game & he was caught out of position a few times . He's obviously flavour of the month, but Stephens is a better bet long term if you ask me.

I've absolutely no doubt if Stephens was playing for Boro or Sunderland the clowns moaning about him would be throwing his name in the hat. I can see it now "good on the ball, English, cheap to buy , promising , let's get him in".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

He's no better than Stephens. I watched the Watford game & he was caught out of position a few times . He's obviously flavour of the month, but Stephens is a better bet long term if you ask me.

I've absolutely no doubt if Stephens was playing for Boro or Sunderland the clowns moaning about him would be throwing his name in the hat. I can see it now "good on the ball, English, cheap to buy , promising , let's get him in".

Went on loan there last season - he hardly got a game.

Think Maguire would be great signing but think he will need experience next to him. With all the top clubs in the world tripping over themselves in the summer for VVD I'm resigned to him going. Yoshida has improved and Stephens has done a great job but I think we'll need two centre backs to come straight into the first team. Hopefully the club has learnt from the Fonte cock up

Good to see someone talking sense. Stephens is as good as Maguire, and is a year younger. I really think some people here don't realise how good a player we have in Stephens. In another year or so he should be a very good centre back, and if he gets to play alongside VvD next season he will show his quality. He needs to improve his final ball when he plays out of defence, for sure, and he needs to add goals, but otherwise we realy have not lost anything over Fonte (maybe one goal) since Jack came in to take his place. With someone better alongside him than Yoshida he will develop. Clearly the reason why Caceres has not got a game, Stephens has proved to be more than competent, which to be fair Saints could not be sure of when Caceres was signed.

• 1 year later...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The internet can be so cruel..........