Puel in

Bad Wolf

Okay this one game was probably his fault but the best managers ever have all made dodgy subs.

The arrogance of our fans astounds me. We're on cause to finish in the top ten for a fourth season in a row, we've had a cup final (which we narrowly lost) and people are acting like we're about to be relegated. West Ham are a bigger club than us, they have probably have more resources and we're still pretty likely to finish above them yet they seem (reasonably) content. Puel is doing a very solid (if unspectacular job) and I'm pleased we went for him. We could have quite easily gone for someone who may have taken us down. We're having yet another solid season, we're just not as "in your face" about it as the last few years due to not having upset any of the big clubs (bar Everton).

The football is drab a lot of the time but if sexy football is your priority, why not just bring back Jan Poortvliet? I mean, he was tactically clueless but we played some absolutely beautiful stuff under him.

If we got rid of Puel, who would you go for? Howe who absolutely flopped at Burnley? Moyes who sems to wreck every club he's at post Everton? Some guy who we've never heard of who MIGHT work out better than Puel but MIGHT go horribly wrong? That's not a risk I'd be particularly happy to take.

Realistically, any club outside the big seven is always going to be looking over their shoulders. Any club bar those top seven would probably consider the top 10 a privilege, not right.

I think we're in safe hands with Claude. If you go to a club like Southampton and you finish above 12th plus lead them to a cup final, I think you've done a pretty good job. As I think Puel is doing with us currently. In 40 years I'll be more likely to tell my grandchildren about this season because of our great day out at Wembley than last season because we finished 6th.

In Claude we trust!

Okay this one game was probably his fault but the best managers ever have all made dodgy subs.

The arrogance of our fans astounds me. We're on cause to finish in the top ten for a fourth season in a row, we've had a cup final (which we narrowly lost) and people are acting like we're about to be relegated. West Ham are a bigger club than us, they have probably have more resources and we're still pretty likely to finish above them yet they seem (reasonably) content. Puel is doing a very solid (if unspectacular job) and I'm pleased we went for him. We could have quite easily gone for someone who may have taken us down. We're having yet another solid season, we're just not as "in your face" about it as the last few years due to not having upset any of the big clubs (bar Everton).

The football is drab a lot of the time but if sexy football is your priority, why not just bring back Jan Poortvliet? I mean, he was tactically clueless but we played some absolutely beautiful stuff under him.

If we got rid of Puel, who would you go for? Howe who absolutely flopped at Burnley? Moyes who sems to wreck every club he's at post Everton? Some guy who we've never heard of who MIGHT work out better than Puel but MIGHT go horribly wrong? That's not a risk I'd be particularly happy to take.

Realistically, any club outside the big seven is always going to be looking over their shoulders. Any club bar those top seven would probably consider the top 10 a privilege, not right.

I think we're in safe hands with Claude. If you go to a club like Southampton and you finish above 12th plus lead them to a cup final, I think you've done a pretty good job. As I think Puel is doing with us currently. In 40 years I'll be more likely to tell my grandchildren about this season because of our great day out at Wembley than last season because we finished 6th.

In Claude we trust!

Without checking facts, on current form with the fixtures we have, we're probably on corse to finish 16th.

Bradford got to the cup final 4 years ago.

Swansea won the cup.

The parallels with Swansea could be frightening if we stick with Puel

Swansea :

2012/13: Finish 8th

2013/14: Win the Cup

2014/15: Finish 8th

Then 2015/16 drop off to 12th.

Failure to repair the obvious cracks in the foundations and they are now quickly on the brink of relegation.

Okay, above points taken...So IF we finish Top 10, will the consensus be that he's done a half decent job?

I would agree with this, however I have major concerns about next season. If it wasn't for Gabbi making an instant impact, we'd have been in trouble this season.

Even he seems to have gone backwards recently, which is down to the way we play and the service he's been getting.

My biggest concern is the fact the players don't appear happy.

Edited by SKD

Okay, above points taken...So IF we finish Top 10, will the consensus be that he's done a half decent job?

Finishing a few points or goal difference ahead of Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford, WBA, Hull should not be celebrated

Dropping 17 points off top 7 is a massive concern and finishing 9th or 10th doesn't change that

Let's not forget our poor campaign in the Europa League. For a club which qualifies for Europe so infrequently we really did make a **** poor fist of it. With Puel's experience of European football cited as one of the reasons for hiring him his failure to get us out of the group was/Is a big black mark against him IMHO.

I would agree with this, however I have major concerns about next season. If it wasn't for Gabbi making an instant impact, we'd have been in trouble this season.

Even he seems to have gone backwards recently, which is down to the way we play and the service he's been getting.

My biggest concern is the fact the players don't appear happy.

You mean the fans aren't happy, seeing as it is standard practice on here to project the fans' feelings onto the players.

In Claude we trust!

:lol:

Finishing a few points or goal difference ahead of Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford, WBA, Hull should not be celebrated

Dropping 17 points off top 7 is a massive concern and finishing 9th or 10th doesn't change that

Spot on.

I think Bournemouth will finish above us, but I am also in the Puel in camp. He needs to be given the summer, to try and get his own team in place. Key players fully fit and a regular season. I will see how things are going by Christmas and then make a judgment. to continually finish in the top 6/7 is going to be a tall ask. Last season we had Liverpool and Chelsea being rubbish, but stick them in the top 6 and we struggle to get in.

Spurs

Chelsea

Man City

Man U

Liverpool

Arsenal

these are going to be hard to budge, but no reason why we cannot be the best of the rest.

On to next season. You get some weird results at this stage of the season!

What the majority seen to miss is the amount of development of players that has occurred during this season. Stephens, McQueen, and Sims have become regular squad players with the first two getting quite a bit of game time albeit due to injury. Any team of our size that loses "the best "CB" in the league for half a season is going to be weakened. Add to that the top scorer out for a longer time and we have done ok.

Others have improved over the season, JWP, Redmond, and exceptionally Romeu.

I have not enjoyed some of the football played mostly around the end of last year but at times it be been very good.

I think that the summer window will be a very good indicator of exactly what type of manager Puel is coupled with where the ambition lies with the new owners. I hope they back him significantly.

We have crawled to the 40 point mark and if there weren't so many poor clubs this season we'd be right in the mire. Bar the cup games we've been bang average at best, football is an entertainment business and this hasn't been entertaining whatsoever. Uninspiring manager with uninspiring tactics. all the happy clappers must be racing to get their season tickets renewed for next season.

We have crawled to the 40 point mark and if there weren't so many poor clubs this season we'd be right in the mire. Bar the cup games we've been bang average at best, football is an entertainment business and this hasn't been entertaining whatsoever. Uninspiring manager with uninspiring tactics. all the happy clappers must be racing to get their season tickets renewed for next season.

The FA Cup games were also dire.

The middle of the league has concertina'd, and with a few games left every point is now very important.

The difference in money between finishing eighth or ninth and fourteen or fifteenth is very considerable and amounts to onre reasonable player.

Puel and Saints need to realise this and start playing more effectively and scoring goals.

His interviews are stultifyingly boring and tiresome- are his team-talks similar? Some of the football we've played has been as well.

Going backwards under Puel. The results bear that out. The performances have frequently been abject as a direct result of the tactics he uses, so I am guessing ST renewals and revenue will be going backwards as well. And if you want to bring heart in over cold facts and logic the Europa League approach still stings and I hold him entirely accountable for that. Nice league cup run though. He needs to go at the end of the season.

I think Bournemouth will finish above us, but I am also in the Puel in camp. He needs to be given the summer, to try and get his own team in place. Key players fully fit and a regular season. I will see how things are going by Christmas and then make a judgment. to continually finish in the top 6/7 is going to be a tall ask. Last season we had Liverpool and Chelsea being rubbish, but stick them in the top 6 and we struggle to get in.

Spurs

Chelsea

Man City

Man U

Liverpool

Arsenal

these are going to be hard to budge, but no reason why we cannot be the best of the rest.

On to next season. You get some weird results at this stage of the season!

If he stays ( and I'm firmly in the Puel out camp ) the real test is how many players ask to move away . This will confirm if players are truly unhappy or not .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

What the majority seen to miss is the amount of development of players that has occurred during this season. Stephens, McQueen, and Sims have become regular squad players with the first two getting quite a bit of game time albeit due to injury. Any team of our size that loses "the best "CB" in the league for half a season is going to be weakened. Add to that the top scorer out for a longer time and we have done ok.

Others have improved over the season, JWP, Redmond, and exceptionally Romeu.

I have not enjoyed some of the football played mostly around the end of last year but at times it be been very good.

I think that the summer window will be a very good indicator of exactly what type of manager Puel is coupled with where the ambition lies with the new owners. I hope they back him significantly.

In your opinion has Puel changed our style and formation in any way to try and make our strikers more effective ?

Your right there dosent seem to be an end that we all hope for .There is an end of season feel to the team atm and its so annoying ,were now safe but our form is so very poor can we shrug off this malaise ofr the next big push next season or will we be facing an even bigger relegation threat ?

You mean the fans aren't happy, seeing as it is standard practice on here to project the fans' feelings onto the players.

No, I mean the players aren't happy.

I know for a fact 3 want out (I've been told pretty much direct from the horses mouth) and have my suspicions about others.

But I tell you what, as it's against yours & the clubs agenda... you don't have to believe me.

I know for a fact 3 want out (I've been told pretty much direct from the horses mouth) and have my suspicions about others.

But I tell you what, as it's against yours & the clubs agenda... you don't have to believe me.

Undesputed fact!!!! But can never be proven so just taken as hot air..... Sorry

I don't think you need to be ITK to see something isn't right at the moment.

We have an unprecedented amount of players either going backwards since there debut or an alarming drop of form from previous seasons.

I don't think you need to be ITK to see something isn't right at the moment.

We have an unprecedented amount of players either going backwards since there debut or an alarming drop of form from previous seasons.

I'm not ITK, and don't try and claim to be.

Some times get given a bit of info from someone who works for the club (hence why I love MoPo as he left a lasting impression with the staff) and know a couple of players through others.

2 that want out are pretty common knowledge (Bertrand & Long) I'm not certain the other will get a move so won't mention. You can add Fonte to that list of players that want/wanted out as well this season, but he acted like a ****, so not too bothered about him.

In your opinion has Puel changed our style and formation in any way to try and make our strikers more effective ?

A good question. For the most part of the season he definitely did not but when he reverted to the 4-3-3 set up versus his diamond with only one sitting CM it "seems" to be a bit better but certainly not very good.

I think generally his instinct is shape first, possession second, defend third, and attack fourth. But it is clear he has an eye for the skilful player (look at his background) and I think he deserves a bit more time. I get the impression he want more speed up front to play more counter attack football and Tadic probably does not really fit into that, but he is a decent player. I expect him to go and to be replaced by someone of Antonios ilk (best example I could think of , off the top of my head!), and also I expect Ausin, and JRod to leave and at least one decent forward incoming to play with and or push Gabbiadini. Can't think of an example!

Without Europe he will have more "coaching time" so I expect a decent season, that being 7th-8th, and no less than 10th and hopefully a decent cup run again! The CBs he buys to replace VVD are as critical as the 2-3 forwards he buys!!

Fun times as ever!!

I think the board are to blame for the decline as well, we can not keep selling our best players and replacing them with less quality or not at all as per Fonte sell in Jan.

However despite the board selling the best players we should still be able to finish 7th or 8th at worse with the cup final, but Puel is making mistakes because I think he is feeling the pressure.

I would love for us to get Silva from Hull if he can't keep them up, he came in and has them playing great football and organised, if he had been there 5-6 games earlier they probably would be on the same amount of points of us.

No idea why so many people are championing Silva.

Nor me... I think it's starting to become an 'anyone but Puel' moment.

There's lots of great managers out there we can sign who are better than Silva. But, hypothetically if given a choice of Puel or Silva ... it's a no-brainer. Silva.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Claude we trust!

I've voted 'Puel in' previous polls and am still inclined to wait and see; but if this is the best defence you can offer, it's weak and thoroughly unconvincing.

A few questions:

-Explain why the benchmark of success has switched it from appearing in a cup final to simply staying up? After all, according to you, we could have quite easily gone for a manager who took us down.

-Why is the only alternative to drab football that we played under Poortvliet?

-What do you mean 'in your face'? You imply as if the only difference between this season and previous seasons is cosmetic: we are on course to finish points behind where we finished in the past seasons seasons with a substantially weaker grip on a top 10 position should we indeed finish there.

-Why were Moyes and Howe the only candidates for the job. Again in a post chockablock with ludicrous strawmen, this is another unexplained beauty.

If you want to pitch your argument in terms of we're little old Southampton and are lucky to have a club, so should cherish the rarefied air we breathe in the PL, especially in a season we made a cup final, cut to the chase and do so. Just spare me the longwinded piffle and pony, pal.

Still can't understand why Pellegrini's application was not taken up[/quote

The board wanted Pellegrini but they bowed to Les Reed,as Directoe of Football and his superior knowledge of football.

The players played as they were told to play, no overlapping as we had attackingplayers to do that and we did not to lose defensive shape,incidentally this is the reason we rarely close down players, we do not want to lose shape. We saw yesterday what happens when the bulk of the team have no faith in the manager. We have a very large contingent of players wanting out if Puel stays.

Fraser Forster is rightly slated for a very bad season BUT last year he was rated in the top keepers in the PL, whats changed? Forster is very immature and needs an arm around him as he beats himself at every error, Puel has no interest in Forster and does not like him,as the season has gone on he makes more mistakes and it become self perpetuating.

3 captains have been to see Puel with regards to his tactics and 1 (Fonte)paid the ultimate price.

Puel is generally not disliked but the respect for him is zero. This is killing us, I do not think he will go as Les Reed will not want to admit he may have made a mistake, this will lead to another player exodus.

I do not believe that Puel's style is suited to the premier league.

Still can't understand why Pellegrini's application was not taken up

The board wanted Pellegrini but they bowed to Les Reed,as Directoe of Football and his superior knowledge of football.

The players played as they were told to play, no overlapping as we had attackingplayers to do that and we did not to lose defensive shape,incidentally this is the reason we rarely close down players, we do not want to lose shape. We saw yesterday what happens when the bulk of the team have no faith in the manager. We have a very large contingent of players wanting out if Puel stays.

Fraser Forster is rightly slated for a very bad season BUT last year he was rated in the top keepers in the PL, whats changed? Forster is very immature and needs an arm around him as he beats himself at every error, Puel has no interest in Forster and does not like him,as the season has gone on he makes more mistakes and it become self perpetuating.

3 captains have been to see Puel with regards to his tactics and 1 (Fonte)paid the ultimate price.

Puel is generally not disliked but the respect for him is zero. This is killing us, I do not think he will go as Les Reed will not want to admit he may have made a mistake, this will lead to another player exodus.

I do not believe that Puel's style is suited to the premier league.

interesting, where did you get this from??

tbf, he hasn't been in charge all season. Although I'm not one to jump on this hipster train, let's keep the argument fair...
ok that is fair but how many away games has he managed since he took over? It is a fair point that had Puel had the same away record in that many games he would beslaughtered by Batman and the like. The grass is always greener

ok that is fair but how many away games has he managed since he took over? It is a fair point that had Puel had the same away record in that many games he would beslaughtered by Batman and the like. The grass is always greener

if you think puel is our 'future' then great. I (and seemingly many more) do not.

If he stays ( and I'm firmly in the Puel out camp ) the real test is how many players ask to move away . This will confirm if players are truly unhappy or not .

So if less leave than previous seasons, does that make the camp is happier than under other managers

So if less leave than previous seasons, does that make the camp is happier than under other managers

Or we don't have the demand for our current squad that we've had in the past.

Adam Blackmore has as good a knowledge of the inside of SFC as anyone and he has reported that on multiple occasions this season both Bertrand and Redmond have had fall outs with Puel.

If Puel had his home record I don't think half the people would be on his back. Also, you have to take into consideration that our squad in much, much better than Hulls.

I like him, would I have him over Puel? Yes. Are there other managers I'd have over Silva? Yes.

I think the reason people mention silva is because he's out of contract at the end of the season, Plays decent football, has done very well with a poor Hull team, we looked at him (supposedly) before Puel and would suit the 'Southampton way'.