Liverpool 0-0 Saints - Match & Reactions Thread

Heisenberg

MotM vs Liverpool (PL Away 2016/17)  

245 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Liverpool (PL Away 2016/17)

Deserved a point. Didn't deserve any more.

Absolutely nothing going forward. Not even a counter attacking threat as everything was so slow and ponderous.

A couple of welcome good saves from Forster, but otherwise the defence were fairly untroubled - certainly more comfortable than the LC semi final.

Not convinced the referee didn't give the penalty against Cedric - whose arm was flapping around, but nowhere near the ball - rather than Stephens, but regardless, there was no way he could see the incident from his position. Dodgy.

I'll guarantee you it was given against Stephens.

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Yes it was an excellent away performance but we struggled to win possession and when we did have the ball we couldn't retain it. We played like strangers much of the time. In the semi-final we always looked threatening going forward but not today. I just hope that a hard earned point gives the players a bit of confidence as they look lacking in that respect at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forster MOTM

Lucky draw. Boooooorrrring

Surely he can't stay captain next season. The idea that he is in any way undroppable has been refuted so many times this year.

Some bull from a troll and some clueless nonsense from agenda man.

Claude has got that whingy test klopp sussed and it clearly shows its getting under his skin. :D

Looked more threatening when long came on

Thought the back four were fantastic, tbh the defensive efforts of all the team were very good

Decent away performance not many teams play Liverpool four times in a season and not concede a single goal.

Of course the other side of away performance is the counter attacking. That side of the game needs work clearly. Considering the game plan I would have started Redmond and likely Long to give us more pace on the counter but decent point.

If Forster played like that every week it would be a different season.

Is this your new thing now? Constant talk of how bad Gabbi is going to become under Puel? You seem to be repeating it over and over, often irrelevantly.

Sadly he gets a stupid obsession and can't let it go despite being made to look wrong on repeat

Allowing for injury time, and the 2nd half of the 3.2 win last year, that makes it over seven hours since Liverpool have scored against Saints!

Great defensve shape, and Tadic and Boufal both defended well. We need someone to hit quicjk and accurate balls up to the feet of whoever is upfront when we are on the counter attack. With the service thety were getting, it doesn't matter if it was Gabbi, Long, Keegan or Moran up front.

What a disappointing result away at Anfield. Pfft.

Some peoples need to get real. After years of getting hammered there I'm grateful for anything frankly. Even a corner is an acceptable result.

Neither side deserved the win, fair result.

We defended well, I just wish we'd been a bit more adventurous in attack at times.

Good point though and I suspect we will receive a **** load of abuse from Liverpool fans for 'parking the bus'.

Special mention to FF, MOTM with Cedric also standing out imo.

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Yes it was an excellent away performance but we struggled to win possession and when we did have the ball we couldn't retain it. We played like strangers much of the time. In the semi-final we always looked threatening going forward but not today. I just hope that a hard earned point gives the players a bit of confidence as they look lacking in that respect at the moment.

Boufal, JWP and Tadic all have an annoying way of slowing the counter attack imo rather than moving the ball quickly. I would have gone with Redmond and Long if the plan was to counter on the break.

10th time lucky against big 6.

Would like to see us attack them. Sit back and defend deep and they will win.

COYS

You know, funnily enough, sitting back and hitting them on the counter-attack is exactly what every single team that's beaten them this season has done to great effect (including ourselves, twice).

We've also kept three clean sheets against them. Our best bet probably is to literally just do the same thing. It is their main weakness after all.

Glad Puel listened to me.

Boufal, JWP and Tadic all have an annoying way of slowing the counter attack imo rather than moving the ball quickly. I would have gone with Redmond and Long if the plan was to counter on the break.

I think that was the plan after 60/70mins...

The only other team to have stopped Liverpool from scoring at Anfield in the league was Man Utd.

Then we thoroughly deserve our position in the top 4 then ...

Oh wait .

So whats your point again ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I'd agree with this. Defensively excellent but there were times we could have done more going forward without compromising our defensive shape. Often it was players making the wrong choice or being reluctant to pass. During most of the second half we gave the ball back to them so quickly when we could have been smarter to either mount an attack or at least keep the ball for longer, but in the last 10 minutes we actually had chance to create some chances. It looked as though the players were afraid to have a go in case it didn't work, but then when playing safe we ended up losing the ball shortly afterwards anyway.

Nevertheless, happy with a point. Keeping Liverpool, generally a free-scoring team, to four blanks in four games is impressive no matter which way you cut it.

Deserved a point. Didn't deserve any more.

Absolutely nothing going forward. Not even a counter attacking threat as everything was so slow and ponderous.

A couple of welcome good saves from Forster, but otherwise the defence were fairly untroubled - certainly more comfortable than the LC semi final.

Not convinced the referee didn't give the penalty against Cedric - whose arm was flapping around, but nowhere near the ball - rather than Stephens, but regardless, there was no way he could see the incident from his position. Dodgy.

Ludicrous that even when we were in a great attacking position and in space we still couldn't be bothered making an effort .

Can see Gabbi getting very frustrated signing for us .

Once again I'll challenge your assertion. Davis played well today - the glaring weakness in midfield was Ward-Prowse! Great fighting display by Saints, especially after the penalty save. They were there for the taking, but we didn't have much in attack to take them with. Stephens and Yoshida were both excellent today - so was Forster, Cedric and Romeu. In the end it was a great point.

I'm sorry, but I'll disagree with you there.

Like Romeu and Davies, he worked his socks off to nullify Liverpool's threat.

Granted, he didn't play eye-catching passes, have searing shots at goal, or go steaming into tackles, but I think he's proved recently that he knits thing together in midfield and it is better as a unit when he plays.

The thing with Ward-Prowse is that he never hides when we are possession. He always wants the ball and is willing to receive it. That's the sort of quality that team-mates appreciate and managers like.

The three in front of the back four were a great shield, and apart from the pen and the late header which FF saved, Liverpool were pretty much limited to long-range pot-shots which were no trouble.

In the past, we have seen Coutinho undo us by picking the ball up 40 yards out, making 15 yards and letting fly. He wasn't able to to do that today because JWP and the others stood up, didn't dive in and fenced him off. That's intelligent and disciplined defending.

I would say the best testament to that, is to ask how many free-kicks Saints gave away 20-25 yards out in the sort of position that Coutinho can pop in? I can't recall one.

Always good to get some kind of result at Liverpool, made even sweeter by the fact that could well cost them top 4. Have to say it was a poor game and poor atmosphere (as to be expected at Anfield).

Didn't have a great view of the penalty as it was other end of the pitch, but the feeling around me was that it was harsh?

Good denfensive performance, all be it Liverpool weren't at there best and hardly troubled us (they were crying out fora bit of width, but played very narrow which is easy to defend). Forster had one of his wonder games that he has a couple of times a season.

Going forward we were awful, and it didnt make it enjoyable to watch. I think this is why many are fustrated with Puel, it certainly is why I am. Thought Boufal was good (I would have taken off Tadic, but obviously Puel had made his mind up yesterday it would be Redmond for boufal and Long for Gabbi as it seems to be every week), but he just wasn't given the ball in the final 3rd enough.

Have to give credit to Puel, he came with a game plan and it worked. If that game plan is good to watch or not is a different matter.

8/10 off the ball

2/10 on the ball

Can't complain at a point away at Anfield but very poor on the occassions we did have possession which slightly detracts from the good defensive work.

Stephens silly for the pen, but very composed and more comfortable than Yoshida. Could be a starter alongside a powerful new signing next season.

Some bull from a troll and some clueless nonsense from agenda man.

Claude has got that whingy test klopp sussed and it clearly shows its getting under his skin. :D

Looked more threatening when long came on

Thought the back four were fantastic, tbh the defensive efforts of all the team were very good

You're right . Puel is amazing and we can get good results against Liverpool ?...

What about the other 18 teams in the premiership ? Shame we a generally rubbish against all of them .

Redmond was pitiful though when he came on .

4 matches against Liverpool this season and not one goal conceded in, like, 360 minutes or something!!! Must be some kind of record? The conservative defensive approach is fine when it gets us points against good teams away from home. Just not all the time please Claude.

I think that was the plan after 60/70mins...

Yeah I think I would have started with them and gone with Boufal and Gabbi late when the game opened up a bit.. but I could be being a bit harsh because it was a good away performance just lacking in a really dangerous counter attack from us.

If they hadn't missed a penalty or Forster hadn't pulled off a number of top class saves, would today's tactics have looked as good? Being so weak offensively is a concern IMO. And that doesn't mean go hung ho, but you have to offer something in the final 3rd.

Gabbi needs help, as good as he is, he isn't going to hold up a long ball and then beat 4 men because he has no support.

You're right . Puel is amazing and we can get good results against Liverpool ��...

What about the other 18 teams in the premiership ? Shame we a generally rubbish against all of them .

I actually think you are disappointed FF saved the pen..... Pathetic excuse for a fan you truly are

Claude is under pressure & knew he couldn't afford for us to be beaten, hence we played for a point from the very first kick, which is fair enough but god its boring to watch! never looked like scoring! I think that's why many (not all) are fed up with the style in which we now play we hardly ever look like we can attack another team, where is the excitement in this team???

Puts to bed the theory that puel has lost the dressing room. Instructions carried out to the letter but for a breakaway goal, as in the semi final.

Indeed.

And we should have scored with the attack where Redmond hit a raking ball to Tadic to square it for Long. That was the best attack of the whole match!

Indeed.

And we should have scored with the attack where Redmond hit a raking ball to Tadic to square it for Long. That was the best attack of the whole match!

Yep, and should have been given a free when Mignolet handled just outside of the box. There was a lot of spirit in the side all day - but particularly after the penalty save.

Loved the penalty sequence. Gamesmanship from JWP. FF giving Milner's scalp a close visual inspection. Great strong hand to stop Milner's pen. I was worried that Saints may be on the beach already but I thought that the team showed some passion in that moment and throughout.

Not a lot happened for Saints going forward (no attempts in 1st half, no attempts on target) but they worked hard defensively. Schmeichal Sr. had an orgasm over FF"s save in the post match comments.

We played like strangers much of the time.

Complete & utter pony. You can't defend like we did playing like "strangers". Great team spirit & execution of the game plan. A real team performance.

Guess a lot of people will be happy with a point, but we are absolutely shocking going forward. Romeau was probably one of the only players who tried to get his foot on the ball and try to get any possession or an attacking move started. Everyone else just tried to hoof it upfield or hoof it to the flanks.. feel sorry for gabbiadini playing in this side.

Complete & utter pony. You can't defend like we did playing like "strangers". Great team spirit & execution of the game plan. A real team performance.

Poll please mods. Do you wish this poster would stop saying "Pony" yes or no.

One thing that proper annoyed me throughout the game was Jurgen Klopps antics on the touchline. How does he get away with it?

The gurning ****.

I thought that's what fans want a manager who bounces around like a clown in the touch line and makes a funny faces in his post match interviews....

One thing that proper annoyed me throughout the game was Jurgen Klopps antics on the touchline. How does he get away with it?

The gurning ****.

Totally agree, moaning at the 4th official every time the camera went to him.... Pr ick

I thought that's what fans want a manager who bounces around like a clown in the touch line and makes a funny faces in his post match interviews....

They want Stephen Fry's General Wellington from Blackadder III.

"SHOUT SHOUT AND SHOUT AGAIN!!"

Change the record, you're embarrassing yourself. lol

So you'd be perfectly content going into next season with him as a nailed on starter? Did you see that pass in the second half - any other player would've been crucified for that, but only one person on the forum even noticed it was him... I'm sure the majority of fans are probably still under the impression that it was JWP, or that Clasie jogged onto the pitch accidentally for a second - anyone but saintly 'Davo'.

Having observed the phenomenon for a while now, responses to Davis fall into the following categories:

- He plays, but puts in an average, anonymous performance = default response 'Davis had a great game'

- He plays, and makes one good pass or run, but is otherwise average = default response 'Davis is one of the most underrated players in the league, and deserves a place on the banner'

- He plays, and makes a series of mistakes, loses possession, or is otherwise disappointing = default response 'Tadic/Boufal/any foreign player was worse'

Judging by your avatar I can see why you're an unreliable judge, but it's genuinely mystifying how regularly he's forgiven by everyone else for performances that would result in witch hunts of any other player.