The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

Suspect it will be Pellegrino. Seems a very Les Reed type appointment.

Little underwhelming tbh, but will get fully behind him and keep fingers crossed

So who did you think we should / could attract out of interest? Prob agree on pellegrino but im not sure there are too many options out there. personally i would like Eddie Howe but thats just me.

So who did you think we should / could attract out of interest? Prob agree on pellegrino but im not sure there are too many options out there. personally i would like Eddie Howe but thats just me.

Eddie would be a fantastic appointment IMHO. Unsure we'd convince him now as wouldn't be a huge step up anymore.

Tuchel would, could be great.

I know nothing about FdB - is he as negative as some people are making out - can you tell us why you think he would do alright as I enjoy reading your opinions

I like how De Boer is an open and honest no-nonsense kind of guy. At least he'll do better in the media than Puel.

He doesn’t believe in star players; every player will get a fair chance, based on how well they play, and the whole is always more important that its parts.

In my opinion he isn't as negative as some people are making out at all. As a coach, he brought back the 4-3-3 system back to Ajax, with the emphasis (at least theoretically) on always trying to play attractive football, but indeed possession-based and with a focus on accurate passing, and youth integration. I do rate him defensively more than in attack. Under his guidance players like Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld had their first break, and they definitely improved under FdB’s guidance. Christian Erikson also had his big breakthrough under De Boer.

I think the main (and fair) criticism aimed at De Boer is that he sometimes seems to struggle for a convincing Plan B, and a lack of creativity in attack. You could call him a somewhat less flexible Koeman, although that doesn’t really do him justice. So IF he’d come on at SFC, I hope he comes with one or more forward-minded assistants.

Frank De Boer is getting written off here but I saw him actually make a good tactical change against us away. First half all our threat was down the flanks - he shut that down second half - something Puel never ever managed to do.

All managers fail somewhere - Koeman/Poch did before coming here so maybe FDB will shine here who knows if he gets the job will give him at least until h/t v Swansea. :-)

I like how De Boer is an open and honest no-nonsense kind of guy. At least he'll do better in the media than Puel.

He doesn’t believe in star players; every player will get a fair chance, based on how well they play, and the whole is always more important that its parts.

In my opinion he isn't as negative as some people are making out at all. As a coach, he brought back the 4-3-3 system back to Ajax, with the emphasis (at least theoretically) on always trying to play attractive football, but indeed possession-based and with a focus on accurate passing, and youth integration. I do rate him defensively more than in attack. Under his guidance players like Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld had their first break, and they definitely improved under FdB’s guidance. Christian Erikson also had his big breakthrough under De Boer.

I think the main (and fair) criticism aimed at De Boer is that he sometimes seems to struggle for a convincing Plan B, and a lack of creativity in attack. You could call him a somewhat less flexible Koeman, although that doesn’t really do him justice. So IF he’d come on at SFC, I hope he comes with one or more forward-minded assistants.

Great summary - although Im not entirely sure a Puel Mk 11 upgrade is what this forum is looking for

Have to say I'm confused today. When the Puel announcement was made, I assumed it meant they'd lined up his replacement, otherwise why not announce it at season end if they knew they wanted a replacement but were happy to announce it before getting a replacement? The lack of noise and Tuchel's apparent rejection today does make me fear something hasn't gone to plan.

I'm not a Les Reed luvvie or basher - he's been a part in one way or another of our return from league 1 to the second best period of our history (in my living memory) so clearly isn't all bad, even though I question certain things he's done. But something doesn't seem right today. Of course, look forward to being proven very wrong and overly impatient.

Frank De Boer is getting written off here but I saw him actually make a good tactical change against us away. First half all our threat was down the flanks - he shut that down second half - something Puel never ever managed to do.

All managers fail somewhere - Koeman/Poch did before coming here so maybe FDB will shine here who knows if he gets the job will give him at least until h/t v Swansea. :-)

yep tactical genius, you only had to watch a video of us and you would know we attack down the flanks. He should have set up his side before the game not at half time when if we had a player who put the ball in the net the game would be over

yep tactical genius, you only had to watch a video of us and you would know we attack down the flanks. He should have set up his side before the game not at half time when if we had a player who put the ball in the net the game would be over

Don`t post against him he will accuse you of wearing a dressing gown or something as daft

Don`t post against him he will accuse you of wearing a dressing gown or something as daft
Lol, no Ron normally is a fair poster on here.

As for Saints dressing gowns, I have the little silk Hugh Hefner number, red and white stripes with the 'Les Comes here' motto on the back, and you?

You don't half talk some nonsense. You should really have a break from this place. Puel was the first manager in god knows how long that the fans have collectively turned on, but you blather on like we do it every season.

And you're all wrong

You don't half talk some nonsense. You should really have a break from this place. Puel was the first manager in god knows how long that the fans have collectively turned on, but you blather on like we do it every season.

So if we get a manager that:

1) Speaks "proper" at interviews. (Most important)

2) Only allows attacking football.

3) Doesn't allow any cross-filed passing.

4) Doesn't permit any rotation of players, no matter how many matches we play in a week.

5) Reads the team selection on this forum. (After all we know best!)

Then perhaps we will have a manager that some fans will appreciate.

Great summary - although Im not entirely sure a Puel Mk 11 upgrade is what this forum is looking for

Imagine a Puel with a stronger personality and more respect from the players though. FdB has won titles as a player with Ajax (including UEFA Cup and Champions League) and Barcelona, and managed to win the Dutch title four times in a row in the Dutch league as a manager. I know the Eredivisie isn't much like the Premier League, but still it was the first and so far only time a manager has done that. He was also assistant manager for the Dutch team when they were runners-up at the 2010 World Cup.

With a good addition - a real striker - in attack and the right team of assistants he could take the club's ideas to the next level. The forum will find something to complain about no matter who would come in.

I would have loved Tuchel or Schmidt, but of the remaining names I've heard, I wouldn't mind FdB. I hardly know every manager in professional football though, so I'm very open to being pleasantly surprised.

Imagine a Puel with a stronger personality and more respect from the players though. FdB has won titles as a player with Ajax (including UEFA Cup and Champions League) and Barcelona, and managed to win the Dutch title four times in a row in the Dutch league as a manager. I know the Eredivisie isn't much like the Premier League, but still it was the first and so far only time a manager has done that. He was also assistant manager for the Dutch team when they were runners-up at the 2010 World Cup.

With a good addition - a real striker - in attack and the right team of assistants he could take the club's ideas to the next level. The forum will find something to complain about no matter who would come in.

I would have loved Tuchel or Schmidt, but of the remaining names I've heard, I wouldn't mind FdB. I hardly know every manager in professional football though, so I'm very open to being pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for your summary, it is always good to get the point of view from those that have first hand experience of players / managers and not just because they are good on a computer game.

I'm reluctant to judge him on his time at Inter as I think they are in a bit of a mess at the moment, or at least were start of last year.

We need a manager who can get our shot shy team to actually get the round leather thing into that netty thing that is hanging from the metal thing. I wish him luck as the massive metal thing that has all those plastic red and white things under it seem to be only place they can kick the round thing

Well it was one of the games that Puel didn't do it that I lost it with him - Danny Rose tore us a new one for 25 mins yet did Mr Puel change it at half-time?

That was my issue with Claude at home he was tactically inept along with Watson/Pascal/Black who all should go as well.

Against Spurs we were brilliant for 20 mins - then surrendered and just let them take over tactically - ok they are a good side but you counter a sides threat well a good manager would.

My point about FDB was that he actually made the change so recognised a fix . Of course the crux is who we recruit player wise too.

Thanks no issue with you we all see the game differently just get a bit fed up with Always constant sniping at others.

Well it was one of the games that Puel didn't do it that I lost it with him - Danny Rose tore us a new one for 25 mins yet did Mr Puel change it at half-time?

That was my issue with Claude at home he was tactically inept along with Watson/Pascal/Black who all should go as well.

Against Spurs we were brilliant for 20 mins - then surrendered and just let them take over tactically - ok they are a good side but you counter a sides threat well a good manager would.

My point about FDB was that he actually made the change so recognised a fix . Of course the crux is who we recruit player wise too.

Thanks no issue with you we all see the game differently just get a bit fed up with Always constant sniping at others.

Says the man who snipes at me at any opportunity :scared:

4) Doesn't permit any rotation of players, no matter how many matches we play in a week.

Also needs to wave arms and shout a lot. Needs a plan B, C, D and E (and likely F, G and H)...

Im sure your assessment is right but if my memory is correct we should have scored a hat load before half-time. It has been a recurring theme all season. Not taking chances, the board left Puel with forwards who are not clinical. We were in th main all shouting it last summer and could see that if you took 30odd goals away from the squad you were going to have problems.

I do hope we dont all regret his departure as I thought we played some wonderful slick stuff, the away game at WHU was fantastic, Everton home as well as Liverpool in the EFL cup. Some of the most exciting slick counter attacking football I have seen in years

Most impressive thing about De Boer and him winning all those titles as a manager at Ajax was that he lost his best players every season, got cheap mediocre and even bad players in return and he never complained in public about it. He just did his job.

Think i said it on here before but Ajax spend more money this season then they did in like 4 seasons when De Boer was the manager.

Im still in favor of De Boer coming here, no-nonsense guy, passionate as hell (in a good way) and doesnt sugarcoat a thing.

Well done for spectacularly missing the point.

Maybe you or one of the other uber fans could tell us who the last manager was that the fans turned on to this degree? If we're such ungrateful fans, and the points you’ve listed are really an issue, then we must be doing it every season, no?

Well done for spectacularly missing the point.

Maybe you or one of the other uber fans could tell us who the last manager was that the fans turned on to this degree? If we're such ungrateful fans, and the points you’ve listed are really an issue, then we must be doing it every season, no?

well Poch had a hard time for quite a time when he took over, and RK had many on here baying for his blood during the bad run.

George Burley had a torrid time as the fans turned on the club and Lowe. It really was the worst time going to a match then. The atmosphere was awful between the fans

well Poch had a hard time for quite a time when he took over, and RK had many on here baying for his blood during the bad run.

George Burley had a torrid time as the fans turned on the club and Lowe. It really was the worst time going to a match then. The atmosphere was awful between the fans

Nonsense.

TBF Nick Whiskey George deserved all he got - that side should have cruised it but his dropping of Rasiak at crucial times and the insistance of playing players on wrong wings. I remember one game we had 5 players playing on the opposite side to natural we had no balance.

You are correct the Ipswich game where Lowe set the Green Army on his own fans and the protests outside the boardroom were toxic - although they did pull the curtains across.

Puel lost the players and the fans look at the walkaround never saw so few in the ground - only those in dressing gowns and face paints - he had to go really.

Talking of random, a blog that I read last night on the VVD debacle stated that our future new owners have lined up AVB back in China.

That would be a rather pleasant surprise if that were to happen.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This. There was a lot of people not happy when he was appointed, but I think after the first game (Everton at home?) people knew we'd be ok.

That game was weird - between his appointment and that match all we heard was about how he favoured a high pressing game and so when it came around, people started fawning over how high we were pressing but then after the match Poch said that he just told us to "go and and play how you normally would" so he could judge them and then implement his style.

Our fans love to set a narrative early and stick to it