The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Schmidt_(football_manager)

He's available. Weren't we previously linked? Any Bundesliga fans enlighten me to his style. Would love a pressing style manager - I see that as the Southampton way. We introduced it to the Premierleague under Poch.

Must say I've grown skeptical about Silva. Not finished with Hull particularly well.

He's available. Weren't we previously linked? Any Bundesliga fans enlighten me to his style. Would love a pressing style manager - I see that as the Southampton way. We introduced it to the Premierleague under Poch.

Must say I've grown skeptical about Silva. Not finished with Hull particularly well.

Fan of his as well. Posted this yesterday about him -

http://theinsidechannel.com/guide-roger-schmidts-tactics-bayer-leverkusen/

Roger Schmidt would be like Martinez at Everton, terrific attacking play but he simply cannot organise a defense. We would probably get a good first season and then drop off massively.

Still not a bad shout imho. Honestly though, there's not many clear options right now. At least ones who would be -clearly- better than Puel.

David Wagner at Huddersfield has been getting some very positive reviews.

Got a good pedigree and seems to play some attractive football. I guess he's already been mentioned. Don't know his contract position or whether he could be tempted away.

Jeremy Corbyn will be looking for work soon. Can't be any worse than Puel. At least he wants to win.

Probably wouldn't take us out of Europe so quickly either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need seriously upgrade our squad if we want to go back to a high press side the thought of the likes of Boufal, Davis, Tadic, JWP and Austin trying to keep up some sort of sustained pressing game is quite amusing

Edited by doddisalegend

Roger Schmidt would be like Martinez at Everton, terrific attacking play but he simply cannot organise a defense. We would probably get a good first season and then drop off massively.

Still not a bad shout imho. Honestly though, there's not many clear options right now. At least ones who would be -clearly- better than Puel.

TBF most of our defence looks likely to be sold this summer so maybe going all out attack and defence be damned might be the way to go....

David Wagner at Huddersfield has been getting some very positive reviews.

Got a good pedigree and seems to play some attractive football. I guess he's already been mentioned. Don't know his contract position or whether he could be tempted away.

I wondered about him too. Ross Wilson obviously has good contacts there, so I'm sure he knows all about him.

He got on my tits massively when Liverpool manager but Brendan Rodgers ticks a lot of boxes as a potential replacement.

Prem experience/good football/managed big clubs x 2 now. We're the perfect springboard back to the big time for him I reckon!

He got on my tits massively when Liverpool manager but Brendan Rodgers ticks a lot of boxes as a potential replacement.

Prem experience/good football/managed big clubs x 2 now. We're the perfect springboard back to the big time for him I reckon!

Is this a wind up? Leaving the Champions League?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is this a wind up? Leaving the Champions League?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is this a wind up? Celtic are several rungs below us in the pecking order.

And they aren't in the Champions League. They've got the opportunity to qualify for it.

If a new manager is appointed it will be interesting on how long he gets before he is "turned" upon as the pressure will be massive,

more than ever since our return to the top flight

Yep. Needs to break the richest top 7 in world football, make a major final, play free flowing attacking football and give entertaining interviews. Good luck with that.

Really ****ed off with the negative football at home although away I am comfortable with it.

However regardless of no goals in 5 home games, the sacking of a manager who finished 8th, lost two key players (plus one sold and not replaced) and got to a cup final really doesn't sit with me at all well.

If he goes he goes but I won't be screaming for it.

Guess I've been a ST holder for too many years with some really really **** football. This season doesn't even come close to some of the dross I have had to witness.

Also respect to Puel making an appearance on the lap round the pitch yesterday particularly as he didn't try and hide amongst the players and walk on his own.

Yep. Needs to break the richest top 7 in world football, make a major final, play free flowing attacking football and give entertaining interviews. Good luck with that.

Nope, nobody is saying that at all. If we'd achieved 8th but with a few more wins (lets say another 4, as Everton finished 15 points ahead of us) I suspect 99% of fans would be content with the season even though we'd dropped league places. As it is, we only finished 6 points off 17th, and closer to relegation than overhauling the nearest team above us. We struggled for goals all season, and the fact that we never found ourselves caught in the relegation dog fight is probably more to do with the fortuitous timing of when we got our wins than any brilliant strategy on our part.

There were times last season when I was frustrated with Koeman's over-reliance on the fullbacks in attack, but this season crossing seemed to be our only attacking tactic and yet we had even fewer players trying to get into the penalty area. Passing was slow, both in terms of decision-making and the speed with which we actually play the ball, and off the ball movement basically consisted of players edging towards the goal while trying to maintain eye contact with the ball at all times, regardless of whether this meant an opponent was in the way. I feel like I spent 57 hours of my life this season watching the ball being slowly recycled out wide before Cedric boomed one in for an easy clearance.

While there is uncertainty about who the owners will be and what their investment (if any) will be, I can not imagine a top manager taking the job, and maybe new owners wilkl want to appoint their own choice anyway. Looks like an anxious summer to me.

I don't watch enough of the games to comment on tactical elements of the manager to be honest but as a supporter finishing 8th in arguably the best league in the world and getting to a cup final I'm very thankful. Fair enough we haven't played the football that most of us want but then aside from the top 5/6 who does ? Personally I'd not sack him over the summer, if VVD stays and we strengthen with a couple more players then at least give him a few months and see where we are.

I don't watch enough of the games to comment on tactical elements of the manager to be honest but as a supporter finishing 8th in arguably the best league in the world and getting to a cup final I'm very thankful. Fair enough we haven't played the football that most of us want but then aside from the top 5/6 who does ? Personally I'd not sack him over the summer, if VVD stays and we strengthen with a couple more players then at least give him a few months and see where we are.

Er... Bournemouth for a start.

But as fans, is it really the league position we enjoy? Or is it when our team wins? Yes, you can be objectively happy, satisfied or discontented by a league position and what that means for the club, but even for those watching a stream, listening on the radio or even following ceefax at home, in terms of what makes you jump for joy or throw something across the room in anger is whether we win or lose.

We have won 12 games this season, and lost 16. As a very simplistic way of looking at things, that means I have had more sh1t weekends than good ones. If you look at the table, all 10 teams from 8th to 17th have won 11 or 12 games. The difference between us and them is that we've battled out a few more draws. Not to be sniffed at, but not exactly the hallmark of a great campaign either.

In fact, as there are 12 teams below us, we have done the equivalent of beating every team below us once, and failing to win any other games. Swap Everton with Stoke and this is precisely what we have done. I'm not quite sure what this suggests, depending on your side of the fence, you could argue either way. Last season though, we beat all but 2 teams in the division, and there was a sense that no matter who you were, Southampton was a tricky fixture. I think teams probably identify a game vs Southampton as a good chance for three points now. And as the stats suggest, more often than not they'd be right.

This losing 2 key players business.....

VVD - ignoring the LCFC game when he was injured - pre injury W6, D6, L9. After he was injured W5, D4, L7. So broadly similar, or if you really want to look at things we averaged 1.143 points per game with VVD, and 1.188 per game without him.

Austin - he played 10 games where he featured for more than 65 minutes. W3, D3, L4 with an average of 1.2 points per game, less than the season average of 1.2105 points per game.

I'd love someone like Bielsa but i believe he's already been snapped up.

I'd very much want someone who would reinstate the higher tempo pressing game.

So far the names being linked Silva, Ranieri etc don't exactly thrill me.

Do we really think players like Tadic, , Davis, JWP, Boufal, Jrod, Hoj and Austin are up to a high tempo pressing game?

I heard a very interesting name mentioned yesterday from a very good source, not going to share it yet as i've not been able to confirm it but if it's true it shows we're looking at a level above Ranieri that's for sure.

I heard a very interesting name mentioned yesterday from a very good source, not going to share it yet as i've not been able to confirm it but if it's true it shows we're looking at a level above Ranieri that's for sure.

Not too confident in the "very good source" then ? :rolleyes: