The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

You don't think he influenced the Boufal transfer?

No - that was lined up before Puel's appointment. Indeed Boufal thought he was signing for Koeman, so admitted he had to reconsider things when he found out Koeman was leaving and Puel was joining. The French Connection is purely coincidental.

I find it laughable. Giggs? The club want someone with a proven record for bringing young players through as they've said constantly over the last few years. Track record. That's not Giggs or anyone without experience. I'm not expecting a great manager to be announced but I'm not worried in the slightest that it'll be someone's first managerial position.

Err, have I missed something? Have the club announced him as the new manager or even that he is on the short list? Previous appointments have shown that 1) rarely is the final appointment the so called bookies favorite, or 2) fans (on here or otherwise) had any influence on the choice whatsoever.

We have done well on our recent appointments (yes even Puel), so let's just see how this one pans out before we get all "Captain Mainwaring"

Someone fishing for a job rather than the other way round. This year's Zenga.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Probably right! Do you know much about him? Maybe gabbiadini does!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I buy this line trotted out about a manager's limited input into player recruitment.

Koeman was obviously hugely influential in his purchases, as was Puel.

Why the hell not? It's just an amazing coincidence that when we had a Dutch manager who had previously worked in the Dutch league we signed a lot of Dutch players or players from the Dutch league and when we got a French manager we started signing players for the French league. We've been tracking all these players for ages don't you know. Much like whenever we need a new manager the one we hire is by coincidence currently out of work.

Good. Giggs really needs to adjust his sights and start at the Championship/ L1 level.

It also claims that Saints are keen on FdB. The Echo mentioned that he's still in the running today along with Pellegrino and A.Nother. I'm starting to think that the Independent article may have been wrong on FdB.

from the clubs pet jurno

Transfer decisions have been largely shaped by executive director Les Reed and recruitment chief Ross Wilson in recent years anyway, with the club’s manager essentially responsible for the preparation of the first-team.*

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/07/claude-puel-faces-sack-southampton-have-found-replacement/

I would say the manager still has some say based on this article from the Koeman era. Perhaps not as much as other teams, but signings in the past such as Osvaldo, Martina, Pelle and Pied have very clearly been managers picks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11366206/Gary-Neville-The-era-of-the-gaffer-is-over.html

“The first stage is – what do we think we need?” Reed starts out. “We audit the squad. Then Ronald might say – we need another winger, or cover at centre-back, or whatever. We then have a discussion about the type of player. The coach can then leave the recruitment department to discuss potential targets, and these would then be set out for Ronald - 'Do they fit, what would be your preferences in order?'"

Reed and Koeman then discuss the finance. “My role is getting Ronald what he wants. My job is to support him. At no time was it better illustrated than in the summer when we did something like 22 transactions in a very limited space of time and got a good strong squad together for the start of the season.

Are some of our more mouth breathing fans going to have it in for Pellegrino almost from the start like they did with Puel? 55 points and the cup final ("the" not "a", there is only one cup in Spain) with a newly promoted club, can you imagine the press in this country if Dyche had done that with Burnley? He would be hailed as the second coming of Brian Clough. Give the guy a chance if he is hired, a proper chance not getting on his and the team's back after 5 seconds. Besides, he was Sevilla's second choice after Berizzo, the same club that hired Emery and Sampaoli in succession, so I will trust their, and Les' judgement.

If (like me) you don't know too much about Pellegrino this is a handy read. It seeks to explain why PL teams like Saints and Palace are looking at him:

http://www.eurosport.com/football/liga/2016-2017/mauricio-pellegrino_sto6219543/story.shtml

This is interesting although there is one line sounds a concerning. It sounds a little too familiar ......

'Scoring goals was what Alaves found most difficult last season, netting just 41 times. Only three teams in La Liga scored fewer and two of those sides – Granada and Osasuna - were relegated. '

Personally I can't see too much in his CV which would make Saints want to procure his talents, so wouldn't be too disappointed if this didn't come off. Of course, that still leaves the question, who can take us to the next level ?

This is interesting although there is one line sounds a concerning. It sounds a little too familiar ......

'Scoring goals was what Alaves found most difficult last season, netting just 41 times. Only three teams in La Liga scored fewer and two of those sides – Granada and Osasuna - were relegated. '

Personally I can't see too much in his CV which would make Saints want to procure his talents, so wouldn't be too disappointed if this didn't come off. Of course, that still leaves the question, who can take us to the next level ?

In all likely hood no one can take us to the next level with out us spending more cash just look at that sort of money being thrown around for players already this season by the big clubs. How the hell are we supposed to match that even worse being a PL club means teams outside the PL want to rinse us for loads of cash for even very average players.

I think pushing the next level is going to becoming increasingly difficult.

Martinez got completely found out at Everton - no thanks.

Hope whoever it is we get the person we really want rather than a 5th or 6th choice.

Deep down can't help but think this situation has taken far too long to be resolved when we should be thinking about the weaknesses of our squad and giving new players time to bed in to be able to really go for the first few matches where our fixtures look favourable.

This jobs a poisoned chalice. A squad well down on quality coupled with over-entitled fans expecting a lot. A club that has a positive transfer net spend in a year when TV money goes through the roof. And a takeover looming from a Chinese group with questionable past dealings. No ambitious manager looking to use us as a stepping stone will risk his reputation here. Really limits our options.

This jobs a poisoned chalice. A squad well down on quality coupled with over-entitled fans expecting a lot. A club that has a positive transfer net spend in a year when TV money goes through the roof. And a takeover looming from a Chinese group with questionable past dealings. No ambitious manager looking to use us as a stepping stone will risk his reputation here. Really limits our options.

Hangover from last night? Cheer up, today will be the hottest day the year so far.

Actually, I bet it will be this guy:

Markus Weinzierl

Sacked by Schalke 2 weeks ago. Was highly rated and is young.

His name was mooted last year, if only on here.

I was looking at the names on the betting odds posted here yesterday. Obviously any list containing Adkins, Pardew and even Puel, is unreliable and with barely a modicum of credibility, but a name I'd not seen before was Rene Weiler. Did some googling and found him to be Anderlecht's coach whose career seems to be on an upward trajectory. IF, as with Poch, we're looking at a young unknown etc, I wonder if he might be under consideration. Downside to that of course is that he's already under contract, and doesn't fit with the theory that we're looking at a German.

Not too sure of either's tactics though.

Mirror reporting Martinez!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Surely not.

Black Box....list of suitable candidates at all times....hidden gems....continuity planning.

etc.

Why are we supposedly only looking at out of work managers too?