The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

Schalke seriously under-performed last season.

Should be CL contenders every season really, and they spent much of the season battling against falling into the relegation zone. I have many friends in Germany and the huge Schalke support was quite unimpressed by him.

In fairness, however KLopp had the same problem at Dortmund in his last season there where he plunged them into the bottom 2 for a while before eventually dragging them out of it.

If there is a god, the same will happen to Liverpool this season. Without them escaping though.

German Eddie Howe then, ok at small clubs but can't hack it when a small fish in a big pond

On what could basis could you possibly make that statement about Howe when he has never managed a "big pond"!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On what could basis could you possibly make that statement about Howe when he has never managed a "big pond"!?

He's done it at a bigger pond and got found out. Very overrated manager and a smarmy bastard too.

Overseeing the journey of League One to regular top half of the PL in a short space of time is underwhelming to you?

... and then having Saints finish in the top 10 of the top flight for 3 consecutive seasons, something that we have never previously achieved in our entire history, also underwhelming.

Don't waste your breath on Glasgow. He lives on a different planet, one where we would have had David Moyes as manager and probably be in Sunderland's position by now.

So if it is Pellegrino, what are the chances of getting Sammy Lee back as assistant?

I think when Old Les has got rid of staff, they have little desire to come back to the Club. Perhaps, if Les retires, a few of them might, hopefully starting with the return of our black box, Paul Mitchell, our Academy coaches, Dodd and Williams, as well as Sammy Lee.

He wasn't that bad at Burnley. It wasn't a case of being "found out".

Exactly, bizarre way of looking at it. It might be that there are "horses for courses" and Howe is just the perfect fit with Bournemouth, but the job he has done there (over his two stints as boss) is simply remarkable, not sure anyone comes close to it in the last 30 years or so.

Exactly, bizarre way of looking at it. It might be that there are "horses for courses" and Howe is just the perfect fit with Bournemouth, but the job he has done there (over his two stints as boss) is simply remarkable, not sure anyone comes close to it in the last 30 years or so.

Howe should be the England manager. As you say, the job he has done at Bournemouth is remarkable. Sadly, he's made it clear he won't come here. He has had a closer view of the managerial setup at Southampton than most.

Disagree. Everyone thinks playing in the premier league is be all/ end all. It isn't. I'm telling you I enjoyed our time in league One and the Championship way more than the money pit that is the premier league.

Actually being in with a shout of winning a league was so much better than striving to be mid table which, in the premier league, is all we'll ever be.

that was because we were winning, it wasnt so frigging great when we were on a downward spiral

Howe should be the England manager. As you say, the job he has done at Bournemouth is remarkable. Sadly, he's made it clear he won't come here. He has had a closer view of the managerial setup at Southampton than most.

It's nothing to do with our "set up" and everything to do with not wanting to tarnish his time at Boscombe. Most of their supporters hate us. If Koeman can take our "set up", Howe can

It's nothing to do with our "set up" and everything to do with not wanting to tarnish his time at Boscombe. Most of their supporters hate us. If Koeman can take our "set up", Howe can

Ultimately, our set up meant that Koeman had to leave a year before he'd planned to. He probably knew little about it before he arrived as he'd never worked in the Premier League before and I doubt he'd ever heard of Les Reed. The same would apply to Pochettino.

that was because we were winning, it wasnt so frigging great when we were on a downward spiral

This. The paradox of football is that no-one likes the way the Premier League operates, they detest that top table of teams, and some don't even like being part of it. Yet as soon as they drop further down the pyramid, the aim is to win as much as possible and get back there.

Our 'set up' has taken us from the pits of bankruptcy in the lower division to relative wealth in the top half of the top league and Les has been the only constant factor. Just saying

Yeah.....but.....just think where we would be without him.... Champions League regulars.....probably having won it a couple of times....he has to go....he is useless...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think when Old Les has got rid of staff, they have little desire to come back to the Club. Perhaps, if Les retires, a few of them might, hopefully starting with the return of our black box, Paul Mitchell, our Academy coaches, Dodd and Williams, as well as Sammy Lee.

So if they are that good what ranks have these brilliant coaches risen to...go on enlighten us with the Champions League clubs they are now at....cripes thats one desperate post aimed at Reed.

Christ alive. I flit between a pessimistic optimism and optimistic pessimism, but damn, we have a lot of pessimistic pessimists here who seem to think that the recent success is by accident rather than design as old Les is apparently clearly incapable of organising a pîss up in a brewery.

Christ alive. I flit between a pessimistic optimism and optimistic pessimism, but damn, we have a lot of pessimistic pessimists here who seem to think that the recent success is by accident rather than design as old Les is apparently clearly incapable of organising a pîss up in a brewery.

A pessimist is never disappointed.

See it says we haven't got rid of Black yet either. Hopefully that'll be first move of whoever comes in.

Imagine Black expects to be leaving as assistant coaches are well aware that their job is likely to come to an end if their boss gats the sack. Often no reflection on their ability but just that a new manager wants to bring in his own people. In Black's case it was suggested that his ability to speak French was a factor in his appointment given Puel's limited English. Is there any information indicating Black has been a poor coach? Just wondered because saying "haven't got rid of yet" seemed rather hostile.

Imagine Black expects to be leaving as assistant coaches are well aware that their job is likely to come to an end if their boss gats the sack. Often no reflection on their ability but just that a new manager wants to bring in his own people. In Black's case it was suggested that his ability to speak French was a factor in his appointment given Puel's limited English. Is there any information indicating Black has been a poor coach? Just wondered because saying "haven't got rid of yet" seemed rather hostile.

I don't rate bringing in a coach who's coaching career has been one of bouncing from one bottom to low mid table disaster to another when your stated aim is to be competing at the top end of the table.

Just out of interest, if ericb is loitering, can you reveal who the "exciting name" was you had been told about, or are they still in the frame for the position?

I suspect that the "exciting name" didn't want to join us... I was told we were after a big name but that name wasn't given. Looking at the market, I assumed that name was Tuchel.

I really don't believe anything that says we weren't in for him, looks like a face saving exercise to me. Personal opinion of course.

So all that St Etienne posting was b/s then?

As I believe i told you all at the time. St Etienne is about 50 miles from here, people in the village go for bike rides with senior staff there, never a very serious candidate.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Those comments speak volumes about Puel - an honorable, decent man treated very poorly by the club and fans.

Yet those some muppets baying for his head will be the same ones slagging off players when they leave and how dishonorable they are.

Those comments speak volumes about Puel - an honorable, decent man treated very poorly by the club and fans.

Yet those some muppets baying for his head will be the same ones slagging off players when they leave and how dishonorable they are.

You are probably not wrong. I really don't see that any of the "names" bandied about here so far will do a lot better than Puel, not with the same players and structure anyway. I do not think we had any cause to sack him and hope he's taken us for every last bent halfpenny that we owe him. If we can get a top manager d'accord but all these german upstarts who have proved nothing don't fall into that category as of yet, neither does De Boer.

You are probably not wrong. I really don't see that any of the "names" bandied about here so far will do a lot better than Puel, not with the same players and structure anyway. I do not think we had any cause to sack him and hope he's taken us for every last bent halfpenny that we owe him. If we can get a top manager d'accord but all these german upstarts who have proved nothing don't fall into that category as of yet, neither does De Boer.

He had to go because the football was dire. The league position more than flattered

It was torture.

If he didn't win the first few games the crowd would have been baying for his head and the club would have had to be looking for a manager in early November

I suspect that the "exciting name" didn't want to join us... I was told we were after a big name but that name wasn't given. Looking at the market, I assumed that name was Tuchel.

I really don't believe anything that says we weren't in for him, looks like a face saving exercise to me. Personal opinion of course.

You could well be right. Would just be good to get confirmation (I assume once the time has passed there's no problem with revealing ITK stuff), as at the time these comments get chins wagging but then are later forgotten. Even if it's now irrelevant, I'm still curious to know such snippets!

You could well be right. Would just be good to get confirmation (I assume once the time has passed there's no problem with revealing ITK stuff), as at the time these comments get chins wagging but then are later forgotten. Even if it's now irrelevant, I'm still curious to know such snippets!

Yeah we definitely had conversations with Tuchel and at one point they were fairly advanced, no idea why i didn't happen but it definitely was ongoing, we did also interview and turn down Silva (about two weeks before the end of the season) and the "dark horse" candidate on the list is Weinzierl (which others can verify i mentioned at least a week ago if not more).

Yeah we definitely had conversations with Tuchel and at one point they were fairly advanced, no idea why i didn't happen but it definitely was ongoing, we did also interview and turn down Silva (about two weeks before the end of the season) and the "dark horse" candidate on the list is Weinzierl (which others can verify i mentioned at least a week ago if not more).

Cool thanks!