The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

Totally agree. People saying we are running out of managers to choose. I can think of about 10 suitable candidates and Im no football geek. I bet they have someone in place. OK Puel didnt work out but Poch, Koeman did. Honest to god instant gratification bed wetters.

And even Puel wasn't a disaster. Someone who had some good ideas, did some good things, came up short in one or two areas but still managed a decent league position and a good performance in a cup. I guess the biggest puzzle with Puel is that one of his issues did seem to be communicating with the players (either through language or force of character), and it's a wonder how that didn't flag up in an interview...!

The more I read about him the more I think it would be worth taking a punt on Viera. Interesting that he's crept up to second favourite with little or no speculation about him taking the Saints job in the media. Suggests someone somewhere knows something perhaps...

- Mauricio Pellegrino 7/4

- Patrick Vieira 2/1

- Frank de Boer 4/1

- Ryan Giggs 7/1

- Jaap Stam 10/1

- Markus Weinzierl 18/1

- Roberto Martinez 18/1

- Giovani Van Bronkhorst 20/1

- Eddie Howe 20/1

- Jurgen Klinsmann 20/1

- Roy Hodgson 20/1

- Slavisa Jokanovic 20/1

- Julian Nagelsmann 20/1

- Vítor Pereira 20/1

- Sean Dyche 20/1

- Brendan Rodgers 20/1

- Louis van Gaal 20/1

- Manuel Pellegrini 20/1

- Sergei Rebrov 25/1

- Chris Hughton 25/1

- Martin Schmidt 25/1

- Chris Coleman 25/1

- Rene Weiler 25/1

- Lucien Favre 25/1

- Paolo Sousa 25/1

- Thomas Tuchel 25/1

- Laurent Blanc 25/1

- Derek McInnes 33/1

- Alan Pardew 33/1

- David Moyes 33/1

- Sven-Goran Eriksson 33/1

- Tim Sherwood 33/1

- Nigel Pearson 33/1

- Steve McClaren 40/1

- Thierry Henry 50/1

- Aitor Karanka 50/1

- Luis Enrique 50/1

Patrick Vieira has slowly crept up to 2nd favourite, pretty much without any speculation.

I notice Markus Weinzierl is a name that's suddenly come into the running....

:suspicious:

I asked for the Skybet market to be out on for him earlier today, there's nothing in it apart from I think he fits the profile.

If the other manager is indeed German, how does Klinsmann fit the clues?

I'm not advocating him by any means, but for example, ericb said he had heard an exciting name a few weeks back. I wouldn't be one of them but to some people Klinsmann would be quite an exciting name, wouldn't he?

God no. From what I've read he has a huge ego, is tactically inept and lacks man management skills. Some top players just don't translate to management.

An article about Klinsmann. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/jun/02/jurgen-klinsmann-usa-coach-copa-america

Viera sounds like an interesting possibility but the lack of management experience worries me, although you can't deny he knows the English leagues.

Viera is as cert, sign a 3 year deal then leave for the Arse when Wenger goes in 2 years and we get 1 years compo.

I expect the deal is already done and will be completed on Tuesday.

Seriously don't think Les will go for a rookie like him or Giggs but out of the 2 then Viera all day.

Any one else think Neil Warnock would be worth a punt? Had Premier League experience but also knows the lower leagues, so could help us find the new Rickie Lambert.

As long as we back him up with some experienced signings, like Akinbiyi and Jon Stead, I think that could be a very astute appointment.

Genuinely don't think Vieira would be a good idea. Also, if he talked to our fans I'd dread to think what he'd make of their particular wisdoms on football

Our j'ai parle avec Batman et Heisenbugh pis on sera "getting it into the mixer" et on va mettre "bodies in the box".

Am I the only one who wouldn't be THAT disappointed with Hodgson? Not my first choice by any means but I'd take him over Giggs or Martinez.

I have just canvassed every Saints supporter globally, even those yet to be born, and can confirm your are indeed the only one.

Interesting read, and looks to be a good prospect, but would Reed regard him as sufficiently experienced even as an up and coming manager? Seems doubtful that he'd have the experience to command the respect of the squad, and we know how that ended with Puel.

But Puel did have experience. He'd taken Lyons to the Champions League semi-final and as a coach had started the careers of a young Thierry Henry, David Trezeguet and Eden Hazard, amongst others. Certainly had a lot more experience than Poch when he came to us.

And since when did experience guarantee anything ? David Moyes has experience but Sunderland were garbage last season.

I have just canvassed every Saints supporter globally, even those yet to be born, and can confirm your are indeed the only one.

I'd be disappointed with any of those names, but Hodgson would be the least disappointing by a hell of a distance. He has a proven track record of success in multiple countries, with multiple clubs. Martinez has minor success and plenty of failure, and Giggs has absolutely nothing.

Any one else think Neil Warnock would be worth a punt? Had Premier League experience but also knows the lower leagues, so could help us find the new Rickie Lambert.

It's a good idea. The one flaw is that Warnock wouldn't come here after Nigel mocked him so cruelly, Colin's not likely to forgive and forget that.

God no. From what I've read he has a huge ego, is tactically inept and lacks man management skills. Some top players just don't translate to management.

An article about Klinsmann. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/jun/02/jurgen-klinsmann-usa-coach-copa-america

Viera sounds like an interesting possibility but the lack of management experience worries me, although you can't deny he knows the English leagues.

I wasn't suggesting him as someone I'd want, just whether his profile fits with some of the clues we've seen.

I don't know much about Paulo Sousa, but from what I've read he might be worth considering. Only thing is I think he plays with a back three as his plan A.

As I see it from what I have read on here the following are the potential options as far as we see things at present:

Mauricio Pellegrino - Has done well with a minnow Spanish club Alavés, taking them to the Copa Del Rey Final after achieving promotion to La Liga and securing a mid-table position. He also previously managed Valencia achieving a better win ratio than both Koeman and Ranieri and just short of the standard achieved by current PSG Manager Unai Emery. His success at Alavés was based on strong defence. Some Saints fans have questions about how well he will be able to achieve greater attacking success than under Puel.

Patrick Viera - Has done well at New York City and is very thorough in all that he does. Was previously in charge of youth development at Man City so has some good experience of developing younger players. However, he has limited experience over all.

Slaviša Jokanović - Has been hugely successful with a number of clubs, winning titles or achieving promotion or other success in most places, with only a couple of failures against his name. Last season he nearly took Fulham from relegation strugglers to promotion to the Premier League. His teams play attacking football with a winning mentality. It would cost £5m to compensate Fulham and appoint him as manager.

Frank De Boer - Hugely successful as manager of Ajax but a total flop at Inter Milan.

Hannes Wolf - After a successful spell as coach of Dortmund's reserve and youth teams he became head coach of VfB Stuttgart and has been very successful with them leading them to become Bundesliga 2 champions and thus to promotion to the Bundesliga. Apart from this he has a quite limited amount of experience.

Julian Nagelsmann - Has taken German minnows Hoffenheim from Bundesliga strugglers to Champions League qualifiers. He was previously youth coach at the same club where he coached them to become title winners. However, other than this he has limited experience.

Jaap Stam - Has helped Reading to recover their fortunes and took them to the Championship play-offs. He has previously been an assistant coach but is otherwise very inexperienced.

Giovani Van Bronkhorst - limited but successful career in football management. In two years he has led Feyenoord to their first Eredivisie title in 18 years.

Less likely than the above are:

Thomas Tuchel - Has been very successful with several clubs but has sadly ruled himself out of the running after being apparent favourite for the post at first.

Markus Weinzierl - Had a 42% win ratio at Schalke 04 but they failed to qualify for European competition for the first time in 8 years.

Roberto Martinez - Mixed fortunes as a Premier League manager but has done well as coach of the Belgium national side.

Eddie Howe - Unlikely to move to Saints but has been successful in transforming Bournemouth from a lower division club to a club that has managed to hold its own in the EPL.

Vítor Pereira - Has had a mixed managerial career with some good success at both Porto and Olympiacos but has had a torrid couple of seasons in Turkey and Germany.

I have probably missed a few from that list but hopefully it serves as a good summary for some people. :)

Much more than 'record' for me is attitude, personality and promise (some signs of being able to create something good). Someone who has won the league with a group of superstars is not necessarily the man who would also do best here. Going for relatively unknown is a risk, of course, but someone like Viera could be a refreshing choice. He's young, he's passionate, and he has achieved almost everything that can be achieved as a player. I wouldn't mind giving him a try.

Puel for Viera doesn't make sense. Surely sacking someone with a decent record as a coach (ok, he wasn't great for us) suggests we will go for someone with equal or more success? Going for relatively unknowns will only end in tears.

I wouldn't say so, the reason he was sacked was due to performances and loss of dressing room. To me that says they'll want to go for someone who commands authority and who plays attacking football.

Puel for Viera doesn't make sense. Surely sacking someone with a decent record as a coach (ok, he wasn't great for us) suggests we will go for someone with equal or more success? Going for relatively unknowns will only end in tears.

Like it ended in tears for Zidane at Madrid, winning the champ league! A manager has to start somewhere, I would take a risk with Viera. Won everything in the game, instant respect of players, big name and will help us attract players. Who cares if in two years he goes to Arsenal, it would have meant he had done a good job for us.

Viera?? A rookie manager with zero success so far -

despite arguably having the best squad in the MLS and all the riches (Man C wealth) supporting him?

Didnt they lose the biggest game (playoff) 7-0?

Why would we be going down the untried and untested route?

No ta

I'm actually not that bothered who they announce (within reason) . Happy to see what happens with whatever choice they make and am sure have a decent criteria and reasons for making a their choice. just need to get on with it and then maybe just maybe I'll enjoy using my season ticket next season as frankly last season other than the cup final and milan away it was all a tad dull.

Viera?? A rookie manager with zero success so far -

despite arguably having the best squad in the MLS and all the riches (Man C wealth) supporting him?

Didnt they lose the biggest game (playoff) 7-0?

Why would we be going down the untried and untested route?

No ta

Games. It was a two leg affair.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think it could be very exciting appointing Viera.Everytine I've heard him speak he comes across as someone who knows the game inside out but is very cool cal and collected. Other things I've read suggest he is some who has a coaching philosophy and a management style which promotes calm, unity, and winning. Nearly all of the greatest managers ever started at a club beneath the big club and that is us. He will not be more driven than anyone else. If he were to relatively fail with us that's his career scuppered. Some suggest it's a risk for us it also is for him. He obviously isn't in management for the money because of the wealth he would of got for playing so I think it could be a shrewd move. He is a big name in the game and that could help bring a slightly better quality of player to Saints. All conjecture right now of course but I say get it done Saints!

Thing is with Vieira and the "won it all as a player argument" is that whilst it works in the short-term to earn respect, if the players don't like or don't rate their methods that aura wears very thin. Koeman for example had respect because of his playing career to start with, but it's not hard to believe his iron-rod approach meant his CV as a player didn't really mean much.