The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

So we sacked our (struggling) manager without an agreement in principle for a new one, and are now only looking at out of work managers? This is a very poor effort.

It does appear to be once again very poor planning. I really thought that the reason they took so long to decide on Puel was because of behind the scenes work getting a new man lined up and ready to announce within a day or so of him going. To read from their trusted journalists that we are in shortlist and interview mode is disappointing. If the first one or two choices turn it down, or have done already, we are struggling and for a top ten Premier League side thats pathetic.

Tuchel out of running Nagelsmann seems an ok choice , De Boer I think may end up at at Palace .

List getting very thin and poor quality TBH concerned

Yeah nagelsmann looks great. Took hoffenheim to 4th place in the bundesliga last season but apperently signed new contract so we would have to really go all out for him

So we sacked our (struggling) manager without an agreement in principle for a new one, and are now only looking at out of work managers? This is a very poor effort.

This. Surely the point of not sacking Puel for weeks was so the new manager could walk straight in (Adkins/Poch style)

That Fulham manager sounds decent, plays a similar system likes wingers and wing backs likes to press get him in! plus Fulham have a few handy players that could do a job here :) happy days

Or Van Gall big name would attract decent players, doesn't mess about yes he sets up to play defensive football alot of people didn't rate him at United but I reckon he did ok would give our players a kick up the ass.

Mirror reporting Martinez!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

:lol: well people said they wanted a more attacking manager I would have thought people would be creaming themselves over a manager with this philosophy after complaining about Puel being negative...

Martinez knows his attacking philosophy piles pressure on the defensive side of the game, but he remains unrepentant, insisting it is the only way to beat the top four sides such as Liverpool.

“I’m not going to hide anything. Yes the way we set up the team makes defending more difficult – I don’t get any extra enjoyment if you keep a clean sheet if that’s not going to win you a game,” he added.

“I know there are managers who want to win through keeping a clean sheet and having a team that’s difficult to beat. But I’m from a philosophy of always wanting to win through scoring goals.

“If that’s going to leave you open you need to score more goals than the opposition, that’s the top and bottom of it – the only way you can be good enough to win titles.”

None of which you know as fact, but still...........

Well we know that we sacked our manager at least. So 1 out of 3 isn't bad...:rolleyes:

Personally I'm more interested in the take over getting done. We need to move on and get some real money into the club, it's origin does not overly concern me.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I really get frustrated with football fans who just live off of media. If the media aren't reporting anything, it means we're not doing anything.

If the media are reporting lots of names, it means we have no idea.

How about people just take a breather, enjoy the sun, and let stuff you have no control over what so ever sort it's self out in it's own time? We have no idea what's going on, we don't know what stages things are at. There's nothing wrong with debating managers, who is a good fit etc, but the constant stamping of feet because you haven't heard anything is the sort of thing a 1 year old would do after their ice lolly melted. Absolute bunch of children.

:lol: well people said they wanted a more attacking manager I would have thought people would be creaming themselves over a manager with this philosophy after complaining about Puel being negative...

Martinez knows his attacking philosophy piles pressure on the defensive side of the game, but he remains unrepentant, insisting it is the only way to beat the top four sides such as Liverpool.

“I’m not going to hide anything. Yes the way we set up the team makes defending more difficult – I don’t get any extra enjoyment if you keep a clean sheet if that’s not going to win you a game,” he added.

“I know there are managers who want to win through keeping a clean sheet and having a team that’s difficult to beat. But I’m from a philosophy of always wanting to win through scoring goals.

“If that’s going to leave you open you need to score more goals than the opposition, that’s the top and bottom of it – the only way you can be good enough to win titles.”

From all I have read on here since the season ended if we were to get Martinez in lots on here will be overjoyed. As quoted above, his philosophy is to outscore others. That means goals, goals, goals; which is all that many posters on here want. They aren't bothered with 'league position' or 'losing a cup final' they just want to be entertained. I'm sure they won't complain at all when all those 0-0 draws are turned into 4-3 losses...........

From all I have read on here since the season ended if we were to get Martinez in lots on here will be overjoyed. As quoted above, his philosophy is to outscore others. That means goals, goals, goals; which is all that many posters on here want. They aren't bothered with 'league position' or 'losing a cup final' they just want to be entertained. I'm sure they won't complain at all when all those 0-0 draws are turned into 4-3 losses...........

and to be fair he took Everton to 5th in his first season in charge..

I still think looking at the available options, LVG is one of the best available simply because:

- He has won the lot in the game and is a big big name.

- Will be hungry and be determined to succeed in England after his brief stint at Man Utd - that could be an advantage having a hungry and really passionate individual onboard.

- I think that he is a manager that likes working with younger players as proved in the 2014 World Cup. He had the likes of our very own Jordy Clasie Kongolo, DeVrij & Depay in that squad.

- Has worked on a smaller budget before at AZ Alkmaar.

For me ticks all the boxes

I think we should brace ourselves and prepare for Martinez, IMO he is a real possibility. PL experience, some success, plus remember one knock on Puel were his boring tactics. So when you look to fix that, you look for a style the opposite.

I really get frustrated with football fans who just live off of media. If the media aren't reporting anything, it means we're not doing anything.

If the media are reporting lots of names, it means we have no idea.

How about people just take a breather, enjoy the sun, and let stuff you have no control over what so ever sort it's self out in it's own time? We have no idea what's going on, we don't know what stages things are at. There's nothing wrong with debating managers, who is a good fit etc, but the constant stamping of feet because you haven't heard anything is the sort of thing a 1 year old would do after their ice lolly melted. Absolute bunch of children.

Too sensible. Right though.

Read Southampton is a click bait site or horrendous proportions. Really not worth citing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It certainly is. There's a few fans on Twitter who wrote for them and their articles are genuinely the most embarrassing articles I've ever read.

Tuchel out of running Nagelsmann seems an ok choice , De Boer I think may end up at at Palace .

List getting very thin and poor quality TBH concerned

Yeah nagelsmann looks great. Took hoffenheim to 4th place in the bundesliga last season but apperently signed new contract so we would have to really go all out for him

Nagelsmann would be seen as a great choice based on publicity surrounding him, and his achievement over a season and a half at Hoffenheim, but he's less likely to be interested than the currently out of work Tuchel.

This. Surely the point of not sacking Puel for weeks was so the new manager could walk straight in (Adkins/Poch style)

Agree with the last two comments. Was hoping the groundwork for a new manager was being done whilst delaying CP's severance etc. Hope to be proved wrong but it does have the making of another Les summer clusterf^ck of planning.

Many of the names touted are uninspiring, Pelligrino for one looks band average, and I hope we're not limiting it to those immediately available and out of work. Seems ridiculous IF we won't look at paying compensation to bring the best person in, but can fritter it away in terminating a contract.

Whoever the manager is some on here will back him and give his a chance, some will be sceptical but will also give him a chance and some

will whine like prissy tarts, stamp their feet and moan about Reed in some way and be on the new man's telling him hes a yes man

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

I could live with Pellegrino or Martinez. Didn't realize Martinez Belgium squad has scored 24 goals and given up 2 so far.

I think most of us would have been happy bringing Martinez in after Swansea or Wigan tbh.

I'm not too swayed by his time with Belgium as he's probably dealing with their best crop of players for a generation.

His time, or at least his last season at Everton tarnishes his reputation but if you look at most names there is a blemish somewhere. Tuchel for example has left Dortmund under a bit of a cloud for off the field reasons. I googled Weinzirl mentioned on here today, and rather like Puel there are the usual recriminations re 'losing the dressing room' (in his case from a disgruntled loan player https://www.fourfourtwo.com/sg/news/konoplyanka-weinzierl-a-coward-and-will-relegate-schalke - hardly a ringing endorsement).

Ok am chucking a new name into the mix.. Hannes Wolf

Young manager (36), took over at Stutgartt last year and got them promoted to the Bundesliga as champions and is rated up there with Nagglesmann in germany.

Worked at Dortmund before that

"The 35-year-old and Klopp share many tactical and coaching philosophies. For them, football has to be played fast, with high intensity and emotion. Their coaching styles are similar, they roam the touchline and belt out a near-constant battery of instructions.

Wolf's youth teams showed the same strengths as Klopp's Dortmund sides, often overpowering opponents with counter-pressing and transition attacks. "

He also has a chapter on youth coaching here in the book - "Creating World Champions: How German Soccer Went from Shambles to Champions"

https://books.google.nl/books?id=k30wDQAAQBAJ&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=hannes+wolf+tactics&source=bl&ots=SF6hVN6ARn&sig=-Al5O4K4uyTvND_NDsGUucqYjfk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOs7TFvcfUAhWPZlAKHQeOD_8Q6AEIXDAI#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edit: I have now convinced myself this is the mysterious coach :-)

Edited by Convict Colony

I think we should brace ourselves and prepare for Martinez, IMO he is a real possibility. PL experience, some success, plus remember one knock on Puel were his boring tactics. So when you look to fix that, you look for a style the opposite.
well we'll see loads of goals, mainly in our goal. he couldn't arrange a defence