The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

Yeah we definitely had conversations with Tuchel and at one point they were fairly advanced, no idea why i didn't happen but it definitely was ongoing, we did also interview and turn down Silva (about two weeks before the end of the season) and the "dark horse" candidate on the list is Weinzierl (which others can verify i mentioned at least a week ago if not more).

Out of the three, where would your gut instinct take you?

Out of the three, where would your gut instinct take you?

No idea!! If it was my choice i'd go with Tuchel but it sounds like that's dead in the water, i'm sure there are others too but that's the ones i heard of for certain. We were pretty quick to dismiss Silva as a choice which makes me think we didn't see in him what we wanted. There's been lots of chatter about a manager that can keep players who want away as they'd want to play for him. But that could just be chatter.

DE BOER SET FOR PALACE

Sky sources understand Crystal Palace are set to appoint Frank De Boer as their new manager.

The Dutchman has been offered the job and talks are at an advanced stage.

Palace have been looking for a manager since Sam Allardyce resigned last month.

Former Ajax, Barcelona and Rangers defender De Boer has been out of work since he lost his job at Inter Milan in November last year.

I could go on Wikipedia and edit the Southampton FC page to say Maggie May is the manager.

Anyone in the world can edit any page they want on Wikipedia.

and within minutes a moderator will undo the edits if not correct and done properly with authentic citations . Anyone with any sense checks the edit history if they want to trust what they are reading.

Interesting re De Boer as most of the reports yesterday said he is on our shortlist but we hadn't spoken to him.

I wonder if we ever intended to? Or if Pellegrino was our first choice for a while?

I get the feeling we weren't too fussed and he was a back-up. Maybe if Palace had gone a different direction with Pellegrino, then we'd have considered him (and badged it up that he was first choice all along).

No idea!! If it was my choice i'd go with Tuchel but it sounds like that's dead in the water, i'm sure there are others too but that's the ones i heard of for certain. We were pretty quick to dismiss Silva as a choice which makes me think we didn't see in him what we wanted. There's been lots of chatter about a manager that can keep players who want away as they'd want to play for him. But that could just be chatter.

I agree, I think for whatever reason he had decided we're not the right fit for him (I'd guess it's that we want/expect the new manager to hang around and not treat us as a stepping stone). However, I remember last summer a certain manager saying he wasn't interested and ruled himself out of a certain job and then taking said job....

I get the feeling we weren't too fussed and he was a back-up. Maybe if Palace had gone a different direction with Pellegrino, then we'd have considered him (and badged it up that he was first choice all along).

Depends on which poster you talk to on here....I guarantee that whoever is chosen, they will be second or third choices according to the knowledgeable "characters" on here....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Which may well be what palace are doing - getting their announcement in first, before we say we've got their real first choice.

Which manager would that be?

Which manager would that be?

One who can get us into the top 4 without any much further investment I expect. Must be one somewhere about with a big bag of oofle dust to chuck on Long, Forster, Stephens etc to turn them into world class superstars.

We won't progress until we've got more depth of better players, it really is that simple.

How completely underwhelming - the club has dropped a b*****k here in my opinion.

Not sure how any on the shortlist are better than we had - and certainly not the 'names' that would encourage want-aways to stay.

Obviously they could pull a rabbit from a hat - but without the players at his disposal he will be on a hiding to nothing. Our current squad is not good enough for top 6/7 and is a mid-table quality side. No manager is going to change that reality.

How completely underwhelming - the club has dropped a b*****k here in my opinion.

Not sure how any on the shortlist are better than we had - and certainly not the 'names' that would encourage want-aways to stay.

Obviously they could pull a rabbit from a hat - but without the players at his disposal he will be on a hiding to nothing. Our current squad is not good enough for top 6/7 and is a mid-table quality side. No manager is going to change that reality.

Do you really think the squad we have now will be the squad for the season?

Not sure better than we had..really? he was asked to stay by his bosses but change ..he refused, he was tactically naive and couldn't get the best out of the players he had at his disposal. That has f-all to do with what the fans wanted but what the club wanted him to change - what in the last 5 home games did you see tactically that he could bring into next season and improve us?

Edited by Give it to Ron

Saw this interesting view on Alaves. Seems like although Pellegrino likes a defensively solid team, it's not in the form of a Pulis "sit deep" but rather defending aggressively with high pressing and interceptions. Pellegrino's teams seem to always play with a high intensity which will obviously be refreshing.

Alaves are in their first Spanish top flight season since 2005/06, when they went down after a dismal return to La Liga. However, their latest comeback into the Spanish first division has been far from disappointing.In fact, this has been a campaign in which they’ve surprised many with their high intensity pressing game that has caught several of their opposition teams off guard. This has been a campaign in which they’ve had some major scalps, putting away the likes of Real Sociedad, Villarreal and the mighty Barcelona, among others.

And after being blown away in the first half of the match on Sunday, Alaves bounced back strongly in the second half, refusing to be bullied by their more illustrious hosts. Creating several chances, they put the Real Madrid defence under intense pressure, and it was only their poor conversion in front of goal that stopped them from getting a well deserved point.

The Basque club sit tenth in their return to La Liga this season, and very rightly so. And as we enter the climactic end of the season, it won’t be a surprise if they can manage to clinch a place in Europe next season.

I did. And he was. Read my post that commented on a lack of knowledge of other candidates. So read into this interview what you wish...

No he wasn't.

Patrick Vieira has been nowhere near staplewood.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4628946/Crystal-Palace-offer-Frank-Boer-manager-s-job.html

Interesting phraseology used by each paper!! Guardian says Palace choose FdB over MP, while Mail says MP chooses Saints over CP. Seems everyone might be happy then :lol:

I feel quite positive about Pellegrino to be honest. He's a young coach, up and coming, very much in our style of how we like to do things. On paper it looks a good fit and it 'feels' right. It certainly feels a lot more 'right' than it did with Puel, for me that never felt correct from the outset. He never seemed a good fit. This guy seems perfect for what we're trying to do.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4628946/Crystal-Palace-offer-Frank-Boer-manager-s-job.html

Interesting phraseology used by each paper!! Guardian says Palace choose FdB over MP, while Mail says MP chooses Saints over CP. Seems everyone might be happy then [emoji38]

No-one's going to admit having to settle for second choice.

As suggested earlier, Pellegrino may have had two offers but chose Saints, so Palace quickly decided de Boer was their man.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'll be honest would have rather taken de boer, Big name, more respect from players and might have helped settle Virgil slightly, and also used to managing teams with high expectations. I also liked what we were doing in the Dutch market under RK so wouldn't have minded more of the same.

I'll be honest would have rather taken de boer, Big name, more respect from players and might have helped settle Virgil slightly, and also used to managing teams with high expectations. I also liked what we were doing in the Dutch market under RK so wouldn't have minded more of the same.

Hmmmmm really?

Martina?

Clasie?

Stekelenberg?

Elia?

VVD - obviously a brilliant signing.