The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

so, if the tea leaves are right let me get this straight...............

We fire a manager that got us to 8th and a Cup Final playing, on the whole, dour defensive football

and are looking to replace him with a coach that:

Got to 9th in La Liga, lost a Cup Final, played negative dour football and got fired

Can someone please tell me how that can possibly be an upgrade? Makes no sense if that happens and is bats**t crazy. Puel has every right to feel very, very aggrieved.

If you can work that out, then I'm sure a premier league football club can too. Therefore it won't be him.

I very much doubt we've paid up his full contract. There will be numerous clauses in it stipulating what he can expect under various circumstances.

To put it into context, that's more than Utd paid Moyes to terminate a contract with 5 years remaining.

Chelsea paid Mourinho £8m when he had 3.5 years left.

Ohhh, I wish I could link the quote where it said he was paid in full for the remaining 2 years. Pretty sure it was Jeremy Wilson from the Telegraph too. Yes, I would also expect some paid back if he takes another role. Maybe he is to be paid in full UNTIL he gets another job, and the reporter put it across as paid in advance. £6M as a figure was definitely quoted.

- Frank de Boer 5/2

- Mauricio Pellegrino 3/1

- Jaap Stam 5/1

- Ryan Giggs 13/2

- Sean Dyche 15/2

- Patrick Vieira 8/1

- Manuel Pellegrini 12/1

- Louis van Gaal 12/1

- Vítor Pereira 16/1

- Eddie Howe 18/1

- Brendan Rodgers 20/1

- Roy Hodgson 20/1

- Slavisa Jokanovic 20/1

- Martin Schmidt 20/1

- Julian Nagelsmann 20/1

- Paolo Sousa 20/1

- Giovani Van Bronkhorst 20/1

- Rene Weiler 25/1

- Chris Coleman 25/1

- Sergei Rebrov 25/1

- Chris Hughton 25/1

- Laurent Blanc 25/1

- Lucien Favre 25/1

- Thomas Tuchel 25/1

- Claude Puel 28/1

- Alan Pardew 33/1

- Jurgen Klinsmann 33/1

- Sven-Goran Eriksson 33/1

- David Moyes 33/1

- Tim Sherwood 33/1

- Steve McClaren 33/1

- Nigel Pearson 33/1

- Michael Appleton 40/1

- Nigel Adkins 40/1

- Thierry Henry 50/1

- Aitor Karanka 50/1

- Luis Enrique 50/1

- Tony Adams 66/1

Why the f*ck is Claude in the running?!

Chris Coleman could dajfu

I'll be amazed (not in a good way) if we appointed a manager with notorious defensive style after paying Puel a reported £6m to terminate his contract. I think this mystery 3rd candidate is the main target and that FDB and Pellegrino are both smokescreens. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I'll be amazed (not in a good way) if we appointed a manager with notorious defensive style after paying Puel a reported £6m to terminate his contract. I think this mystery 3rd candidate is the main target and that FDB and Pellegrino are both smokescreens. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

That does make the most sense...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think you may well be right. When I read that report I instantly assumed the mystery man was the main target as why name some but not all via the club insider. Although ha ing said that it's probably because they are already in a job, so hopefully the guy from Fulham whose name I can't spell. But when you go to people already employed the list of targets can easily multiply!!

I think you may well be right. When I read that report I instantly assumed the mystery man was the main target as why name some but not all via the club insider. Although ha ing said that it's probably because they are already in a job, so hopefully the guy from Fulham whose name I can't spell. But when you go to people already employed the list of targets can easily multiply!!

That might be wishful thinking. From what I recall there were mystery candidates when both Koeman and Puel were appointed but nothing materialised and I don't expect them to this time round. These links normally have an element of truth in them and I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of FdB or Pellegrino. In a way the club have only themselves to blame if the fans don't get straight on board with the new appointment. We keep hearing about 'The Southampton Way' and how we do things differently so it's a bit depressing to read that list of potentials - none of them it seems really has much to differentiate themselves from the rest of the candidates and you don't get the sense that they would be imposing an identity and playing style upon the club that would make us distinctive. I will add that doesn't apply to all of the candidates on that long list, just the majority of them.

Convinced FDB and Pellegrino are smoke screen candidates! So who is the mystery target? Still fancy Martin Schmidt as outsider and Jokanovic if we are going for manager in job!

I don't get this mystery guy business as FDB and Peelegrino must think they are 2nd options.

Maybe we have a shortlist of one and one only.

Reed has probably done a couple of interviews already which suggests he is unemployed already.

Howe would be my first choice, if he would leave Bournemouth.

Otherwise like the idea of Blanc, but he would probably want a bigger club than us. Would be happy with Jokanovic or Adkins returning.

Not much else on that list to inspire, Les will need to be thinking outside the box.

Convinced FDB and Pellegrino are smoke screen candidates! So who is the mystery target? Still fancy Martin Schmidt as outsider and Jokanovic if we are going for manager in job!

Martin Schmidt only just got "sacked" from Mainz after avoiding relegation on goal difference

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/mainz-part-company-head-coach-schmidt

The latest story in the Echo which is obviously fed by the club is unusual for Saints, they dont tend to be this open. I would suspect from that as some have suggested the two named are a smokescreen for the third mystery man.

Making these two so public just isnt the way the club do things.

The latest story in the Echo which is obviously fed by the club is unusual for Saints, they dont tend to be this open. I would suspect from that as some have suggested the two named are a smokescreen for the third mystery man.

Puels name was out there weeks before his appointment.

We like to pride ourselves on secrecy (for some reason) but we aren't great at it.

This article?

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15352504.Saints_set_deadline_in_manager_hunt/?ref=rss

We were more attractive last summer (finished 6th and Europe) and the list of candidates was stronger last summer.

Reed will never be able to convince the likes of Tuchel.

Just seems daft to pay out 6m to Puel and his team only to appoint a similar calibre manager.

I know it's still a slim chance but can we definitely rule out a Tuchel? The report seemed to materialise from a sky, a media business that is strangely allowed to influence its own betting company. So far I've not seen any quotes from his agent or Tuchel himself?

Telegraph / The Echo / Simon Peach have insinuated he was considered but not an option / he's not interested.

Yes, sorry thought i posted the link :(

No worries. I hadn't actually read it before I posted it.

SAINTS have set themselves a ten day deadline to get a new manager in place.

The club’s hunt for a successor to Claude Puel is starting to pick up some momentum as they begin to interview potential candidates for the role.

Vice-chairman of football Les Reed has been keen not to rush the process, and the club certainly took their time to make a final decision over Puel’s future, but Reed is aware of the need for more pressing action now.

Saints want to have a new manager in place at least a few days before the players return for fitness testing on Thursday, June 29, with pre-season proper starting the week after.

That gives Saints around ten days to get a new man in place.

The club also want to consult quickly with a new manager about pre-season plans, hence the delay in announcing any further details of planned trips to Austria and France.

As previously reported by the Daily Echo, Frank De Boer and Mauricio Pellegrino are considered the current frontrunners for the job and both are expected to be interviewed.

Thomas Tuchel was on the initial long list of potential candidates but the club decided against progressing him to their shortlist.

Roger Schmidt was also of interest but has taken a big money job in China, while Marco Silva’s keenness to quickly get a new role saw him move from Hull to Watford and thus took him out of the reckoning.

The Daily Echo understands that though De Boer and Pellegrino are considered favourites, the club will try and speak to at least one other candidate.

It is unlikely that will be Hoffenheim boss Julian Nagelsmann.

The 29-year-old has been a sensation at the German club and Saints bosses are understood to be keen admirers.

However, Nagelsmann wants to lead Hoffenheim into the Champions League next season, has just signed a contract until 2021 which would require significant compensation to remove him from, and is widely expected to be handed one German football’s biggest jobs as early as next season.

All those factors combined have led Saints to believe it would be extremely difficult to land him at this moment in time.

The club is satisfied that they have been able to shortlist the kind of calibre of candidates that fit the profile they want and aim to continue making progress in the coming days.

Some interesting detail in there. Again making reference to "one other candidate".

Interesting to see Nagelsmann get a mention too. Did our messing around cost us Marco Silva?

No worries. I hadn't actually read it before I posted it.

Some interesting detail in there. Again making reference to "one other candidate".

Interesting to see Nagelsmann get a mention too. Did our messing around cost us Marco Silva?

Shades of last year's dithering. I hope it won't be Puelson.

We were more attractive last summer (finished 6th and Europe) and the list of candidates was stronger last summer.

Just seems daft to pay out 6m to Puel and his team only to appoint a similar calibre manager.

This.

Looking at that shortlist on the previous page is rather depressing! I know there is no chance that they are in the running (surely?), but even seeing names such as Ryan Giggs and Tony Adams makes your heart sink! Plus, some fans mentioning NA returning to us as manager gives the impression that we are now going backwards rather than forwards - Nigel is loved by most fans for everything he did for us and rightly so, but he certainly isn't the man to progress the club at this point in time. Saying that, neither are most on that shortlist!

Judging by the names being thrown around, it seems likely that most of us will be underwhelmed by the appointment at this stage. Really hope I'm wrong!

Why? the club is listening to the fans wishes they wanted him gone and they got it...

Got a feeling the third guy is Jokanovic.