The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

Would you have said Pochettino had the X-factor when he joined?

Cautiously optimistic about the appointment; feels like the type of manager that Watford would appoint; that said, you have to something about you to get results against the big sides in Spain, arguably the most unequal league in the world.

Me too. What is in his favour, compared to the typical Carlos Managerio-types off the Watford production line, is that he already has experience of the dressing rooms of the English game. It won't all be new to him like it was for Puel.

All in all feels like a sound, if not thrilling, appointment.

Me too. What is in his favour, compared to the typical Carlos Managerio-types off the Watford production line, is that he already has experience of the dressing rooms of the English game. It won't all be new to him like it was for Puel.

All in all feels like a sound, if not thrilling, appointment.

Who has been appointed?

Agreed but, so we are told, he's the one making the footballing decisions. If we swap Puel for Weinzierel then that's a complete farce for me. I wanted Puel out because I've never been so bored by a season of Saints football but to replace him with a manager with an ostensibly worse record in an equivalent league is a bit silly. I genuinely thought we would only bin CP with a better option lined up and delivered. Hopefully that's Pellegrino.

Like you, expected someone lined up as a vast improvement, although that may not now be the case.Time will tell.

Intrigued by your assertion of both Weizierl and Pellegrino on the limited info we have on both. I mentioned it in an earlier post, and you demonstrate it here - why is Pellegrino seen as a better option after a single year success at Alaves, than Weinzirl who had four good and steadily progressive seasons at Augsberg ?

Not pointing this at you specifically, but interested in the observations.

Is this a done deal yet....or are everybody just prematurely jizzing themselves ?

You seem to be jizzing yourself over people looking at info from a number of sources and drawing a perfectly reasonable conclusion on the balance of probabilities.

You want to wait for the official club announcement, fill your boots.

My my, a lot of posters really did themselves proud there. Still, most of them have disappeared long since.

Turned out well!

"Poc-het-tinhio is how it is pronounced I believe.

Bizarre timing, I felt Nige would be out after WBA - however since then he has done a great job imo and i am very disappointed. However, although I don't agree with the decision the only thing that matters now is the future. I welcome the new man but am wary of his lack of english and lack of engilish experience.

However all the people I know say he is a top top coach. I for one will back him 100%, not his fault Cortese sacked Adkins after all.

As for Cortese, we all knew he was a ruthless **** so why all the surprise? Can't have it both ways. Let's not forget that without him, the likelyhood was that we would have no club....what short memories people have, it was not just Adkins that got us 2 promotions. The old school have no time for him and I can see why, but a balanced viewpoint is needed imo.

Lot of wet fannies on here today and many showing their true colours. support the team FFS and have an open mind, If some of the fans cut off their nose to spite their face this could get very nasty indeed.

This could be a disaster, however this could be a masterstroke.... The jury's out, but let's not send someone down before they have been PROVED guilty."

On Pellegrino, I like the cut of his jib.

He is a good age. Seems very hungry, meticulous in his preparation and tactically astute.

Played for some great clubs under some great managers, has good contacts and a strong coaching background in some tough leagues. Did a fantastic job at Alaves.

Will be fascinating to see what he can do with us.

The more I read about Pellegrino the more I'm encouraged. I think we've got ourselves a young manager with huge potential. Thank god we didn't end up with Weinzeirl - had a read about him last night and he didn't sound good at all.

Welcome Mauricio.

Agree with this. He has knowledge of the English game too, which is an added bonus. Seems like he was the best man available.

I wonder if this Argentinian will get a better welcome than the last one...?

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42469

:)

Football has never ever made me angry as I was at that moment. I think the only thing that would make me angrier is if the skates beat us by scoring a deliberate handball goal or their player diving to win a last minute penalty.

Like you, expected someone lined up as a vast improvement, although that may not now be the case.Time will tell.

Intrigued by your assertion of both Weizierl and Pellegrino on the limited info we have on both. I mentioned it in an earlier post, and you demonstrate it here - why is Pellegrino seen as a better option after a single year success at Alaves, than Weinzirl who had four good and steadily progressive seasons at Augsberg ?

I suppose the comparison was (perhaps unfairly) based on recent performance and I read a few reports of player discontent at Schalke last year. Pellegrino seems relatively well regarded by comparison for what he achieved last year. As you say though, time will tell.

My my, a lot of posters really did themselves proud there. Still, most of them have disappeared long since.

No surprise really at some of those reactions, our Nige had taken us on an adventure, we played some lovely stuff, and as fans we were still riding a big wave. No one with half a brain had expectations of grandeur, we knew the world had moved on in the Premier League since we were last there, and so were realistic: stay up and no one would have been so upset if Adkins left in the summer.

Hoddle
I'm in the middle of reading "Taking Le Tiss", and loved MLT's comment on Glenda; given Hoddle's views on reincarnation, LeGod wonders what he'd done worng in a previous existence to have got him as manager twice, and hoping that he'd enjoyed it.

Is this a done deal yet....or are everybody just prematurely jizzing themselves ?

not entirely sure people are jizzing themselves - it seems the mood ranges from deeply disappointed to wishful thinking that he'll surprise us like pottichino

Probably because we need a one-year impact manager. It's the same as the player model, if they do well they will move on PDQ. The next time we see a four-season Saints manger we will be comfortably and anonymously mid-table in the championship.

not entirely sure people are jizzing themselves - it seems the mood ranges from deeply disappointed to wishful thinking that he'll surprise us like pottichino

Not mutually exclusive though.

I'm probably in these camps to be honest. Disappointed we didn't snare Tuchel, even if had only been for a season or so as I think he might have elevated the club, and attracted some decent players. At the same time though we have to hope whoever else comes in does a good job, and one that is better than we might have expected had CP remained in place.

Well he'll get my support not exactly getting me excited but lets see how he does. Now if that's the manager sorted can we turn our attention to sorting out the squad with some quality upfront, surgery in midfield and a new keeper.....

Keep away from that Pickford guy playing for England.

His kicking is worse than Forster.

30m ha ha what mug would pay that?

I wonder if this Argentinian will get a better welcome than the last one...?

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42469

:)

So easy to be clever with hindsight isn't it? That situation was entirely different as you well know anyway. A well loved manager was sacked for a guy nobody had heard of at the time. I'd argue that Nigel is still better loved by the fans than poch is. Stop trying to score points.

Not mutually exclusive though.

I'm probably in these camps to be honest. Disappointed we didn't snare Tuchel, even if had only been for a season or so as I think he might have elevated the club, and attracted some decent players. At the same time though we have to hope whoever else comes in does a good job, and one that is better than we might have expected had CP remained in place.

I was told the end of this week so I'm going tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericb is it defiantly Mp?

So easy to be clever with hindsight isn't it? That situation was entirely different as you well know anyway. A well loved manager was sacked for a guy nobody had heard of at the time. I'd argue that Nigel is still better loved by the fans than poch is. Stop trying to score points.

Lighten up sir. It was a tongue-in-cheek post. Perhaps I should start taking life more seriously, then I might fit in on here #winkything

Looks like Palace are a better option second best again god help us

Are you assuming De Boer was our preferred option then, or is Pellegrino suddenly in line for Palace ?

Edited by Badger