The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

Martinez had a horrible last season with Everton but still got more points than Puel did.

So even his worst is better than Puels best

you have to support whoever comes in as you were so vocal on Puel to leave. I doubt we will get to Wembley again for a decade or so, unless its in a play off

Ok am chucking a new name into the mix.. Hannes Wolf

Young manager (36), took over at Stutgartt last year and got them promoted to the Bundesliga as champions and is rated up there with Nagglesmann in germany.

Worked at Dortmund before that

"The 35-year-old and Klopp share many tactical and coaching philosophies. For them, football has to be played fast, with high intensity and emotion. Their coaching styles are similar, they roam the touchline and belt out a near-constant battery of instructions.

Wolf's youth teams showed the same strengths as Klopp's Dortmund sides, often overpowering opponents with counter-pressing and transition attacks. "

He also has a chapter on youth coaching here in the book - "Creating World Champions: How German Soccer Went from Shambles to Champions"

https://books.google.nl/books?id=k30wDQAAQBAJ&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=hannes+wolf+tactics&source=bl&ots=SF6hVN6ARn&sig=-Al5O4K4uyTvND_NDsGUucqYjfk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOs7TFvcfUAhWPZlAKHQeOD_8Q6AEIXDAI#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edit: I have now convinced myself this is the mysterious coach :-)

Good call. Hadn't heard of this guy before but have just read up on him.

He worked with both Klopp and Tuchel and is rated by both, in fact Klopp originally sought him out to work with him at Dortmund.

Has won titles at all sorts of youth levels as a coach with Dortmund and has now won the Bundesliga 2 with Stuttgart in his first season as a first team manager.

Not the so-called big name many on here would want but could represent a seriously smart choice if it's an up and coming manager we're looking for.

I don't know but a lot of these names being mentioned reek of a typical Watford or Hull managerial punt, don't see much proven quality at all.

So....you don't know a lot of these names but they are not proven quality...what was your opinion of Potchetino before he was appointed?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don't know but a lot of these names being mentioned reek of a typical Watford or Hull managerial punt, don't see much proven quality at all.

Maybe its a good thing that those running the club do then, although reading these boards you might be forgiven in thinking that they are clueless.

So....you don't know a lot of these names but they are not proven quality...what was your opinion of Potchetino before he was appointed?

Well as I watched Pochettino at PSG and Bordeaux I at least knew what kind of player he had been. I thought it a pretty decent appointment as, as you will all remember, I was absolutely convined that for the PL Adkins wasn't really good enough.

Young manager (36), took over at Stutgartt last year and got them promoted to the Bundesliga as champions and is rated up there with Nagglesmann in germany.

"The 35-year-old and Klopp share many tactical and coaching philosophies. For them, football has to be played fast, with high intensity and emotion. Their coaching styles are similar, they roam the touchline and belt out a near-constant battery of instructions.

Wolf's youth teams showed the same strengths as Klopp's Dortmund sides, often overpowering opponents with counter-pressing and transition attacks. "

He also has a chapter on youth coaching here in the book - "Creating World Champions: How German Soccer Went from Shambles to Champions"

https://books.google.nl/books?id=k30wDQAAQBAJ&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=hannes+wolf+tactics&source=bl&ots=SF6hVN6ARn&sig=-Al5O4K4uyTvND_NDsGUucqYjfk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOs7TFvcfUAhWPZlAKHQeOD_8Q6AEIXDAI#v=onepage&q&f=false

Like the sound of this guy. Send it to Les.reed@southamptonfc.com

If Martinez is good enough for Belgium he is good enough for us.

But why would he quit the Belgium job now with just a year before the final stages when his side are as good as qualified already (might even be, haven't checked). The time to give up that job for another league job is next summer, not now.

He failed in his last year at Everton really so won't have much choice now, next year if Belgium should do well in Russia he'll be on the up and up.

#WolfWatch

If Martinez is good enough for Belgium he is good enough for us.

Would Southgate be good enough for us too? Plenty of failed Premier League manager's go onto International management. Martinez was a fraud before he went to Everton never understood how he had such a good reputation as he took a Wigan side that had just had its record Premier League finish under Steve Bruce, to constant relegation candidates until finally taking them down. Definitely would not be good for us.

Well as I watched Pochettino at PSG and Bordeaux I at least knew what kind of player he had been. I thought it a pretty decent appointment as, as you will all remember, I was absolutely convined that for the PL Adkins wasn't really good enough.

So....you saw him as a player. How did you feel that he would be as a manager? Did you honestly feel that he was a good managerial appointment for Saints at the time?

Apart from Tuchel who's not interested and Julian Nagelsmann (who we won't get as he's just signed a new contract at Hoffenheim along with the Sporting Dorector) I haven't seen a single name linked to the job that I like the look of. Worrying.

I reckon we should be patient and wait to see what the outcome is.

Totally agree. People saying we are running out of managers to choose. I can think of about 10 suitable candidates and Im no football geek. I bet they have someone in place. OK Puel didnt work out but Poch, Koeman did. Honest to god instant gratification bed wetters.

Bearing in mind that nobody else had ever heard of him at the time I admire your foresight and European football knowledge.....

Well he wasn't exactly a shrinking violet who'd only played for Bishop's Stortford was he. Major, major, international player.

If the other manager is indeed German, how does Klinsmann fit the clues?

I'm not advocating him by any means, but for example, ericb said he had heard an exciting name a few weeks back. I wouldn't be one of them but to some people Klinsmann would be quite an exciting name, wouldn't he?

- Mauricio Pellegrino 7/4

- Patrick Vieira 2/1

- Frank de Boer 4/1

- Ryan Giggs 7/1

- Jaap Stam 10/1

- Markus Weinzierl 18/1

- Roberto Martinez 18/1

- Giovani Van Bronkhorst 20/1

- Eddie Howe 20/1

- Jurgen Klinsmann 20/1

- Roy Hodgson 20/1

- Slavisa Jokanovic 20/1

- Julian Nagelsmann 20/1

- Vítor Pereira 20/1

- Sean Dyche 20/1

- Brendan Rodgers 20/1

- Louis van Gaal 20/1

- Manuel Pellegrini 20/1

- Sergei Rebrov 25/1

- Chris Hughton 25/1

- Martin Schmidt 25/1

- Chris Coleman 25/1

- Rene Weiler 25/1

- Lucien Favre 25/1

- Paolo Sousa 25/1

- Thomas Tuchel 25/1

- Laurent Blanc 25/1

- Derek McInnes 33/1

- Alan Pardew 33/1

- David Moyes 33/1

- Sven-Goran Eriksson 33/1

- Tim Sherwood 33/1

- Nigel Pearson 33/1

- Steve McClaren 40/1

- Thierry Henry 50/1

- Aitor Karanka 50/1

- Luis Enrique 50/1

Patrick Vieira has slowly crept up to 2nd favourite, pretty much without any speculation.

I notice Markus Weinzierl is a name that's suddenly come into the running....

:suspicious:

Apart from Tuchel who's not interested and Julian Nagelsmann (who we won't get as he's just signed a new contract at Hoffenheim along with the Sporting Dorector) I haven't seen a single name linked to the job that I like the look of. Worrying.

Roger Schmidt was an interesting possibility, until he p!ssed off to China.

Said earlier, with some of the names being linked, Jokanovic becomes a more attractive possibility.

Edited by Badger

Good call. Hadn't heard of this guy before but have just read up on him.

Not the so-called big name many on here would want but could represent a seriously smart choice if it's an up and coming manager we're looking for.

Interesting read, and looks to be a good prospect, but would Reed regard him as sufficiently experienced even as an up and coming manager? Seems doubtful that he'd have the experience to command the respect of the squad, and we know how that ended with Puel.

Interesting read, and looks to be a good prospect, but would Reed regard him as sufficiently experienced even as an up and coming manager? Seems doubtful that he'd have the experience to command the respect of the squad, and we know how that ended with Puel.

Well, if they were considering Nagelsmann....

Ralf Rangnick (RB Leipzig Sporting Director) was mentioned somewhere. Interesting 1-2-1 with him in the latest FourFourTwo which looks at the success he's had in his career,

including:

-Managed Hoffenheim from 3rd division to Bundesliga

-Got Schalke to the Champions League Semi Final

-Played a big part in getting RB Leipzig to where they are now - from 4th division to 2nd in Bundesliga last season, including one year as manager the season before last when they were promoted from Bundesliga 2

The article talked about how he was a big part in bringing about the pressing game in Germany adopted by Klopp/Tuchel and the like.

He was interviewed for the England job after Euro 2016 and was Dan Ashworth (FA Technical Director)'s preferred candidate. Eventually of course we went with Allardyce....

He states at the end of the interview that it would take a lot for him to leave Leipzig after all he's achieved there and because of the level they'll be playing at next season, he wants to see the project through which makes sense.

To complete the loop - he was RB Salzburg Sporting Director when they sold a certain Sadio Mane to us...

I doubt he is the mysterious 'third candidate' but was certain I'd saw his name linked with us somewhere.

Just looking at available managers... Noticed Sergei Rebrov has left Dynamo Kiev.

Only 44, plays 4 2 3 1, experienced in champions league and europa league... Worth an interview?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk