The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

So what would constitute a good season next season for whoever the manager is?

Six more points than this season but two places below in the table.

Just to see the reaction on this forum.

Is that going backwards or forwards?

For me there's one candidate that ticks all the boxes and that's Tommy Widdrington

Obviously has great connections with the club and a rapport with the fans, money can't buy that sometimes.

Has a fair bit of managerial experience now, admittedly at a lower level.

Look what Eddie Howe has achieved up the road, you'd never have thought that 3 years ago.

For me there's one candidate that ticks all the boxes and that's Tommy Widdrington

Obviously has great connections with the club and a rapport with the fans, money can't buy that sometimes.

Look what Eddie Howe has achieved up the road, you'd never have thought that 3 years ago.

I'll pass on that

Cheers for the post, Tommy :)

I think the third choice being left in there is important, surely wouldn't have put that in there unless it was.

The only reasons I can think of is that the mystery man is the first choice, or he is in a job currently.

Im not sure why everyone is so against frank De Boer, when he joined inter it was 2 weeks before the season started so had little to no pre season to implicate his style upon the side before inter gave up on him in november.

At ajax he won a record breaking 4 consecutive titles and was also used to working with youth and losing key players, Being a dutch legend could also have a sway effect on virgil maybe? if tuchel really is off the list its De boer or nagelsmann for me

De Boer I would be happy to give a fair crack. Did well at Ajax and Inter were a bit of a basket case when he took over - hard to say exactly how good he is. Good reputation for youth and comes with a playing pedigree which can't hurt.

Pellegrino, not sure I would be excited, record stands fairly well all things considered. Don't know enough about him but trust the board - sort of - if Puel is their worst hire we really aren't doing too badly.

Dyche I would be very happy with but shocked to see him rock up. Burnley play decent football at times and he has come through as a respected coach. Good experience of the league, well liked by his players, good with the media etc.

Not too many others amongst the names doing the rounds I would be too keen on (assuming we think Tuchel is a no!).

Would love Howe but just don't see that happening. Jokanovic could make sense, Fulham played some good football and did well.

Whichever direction we go in it would be good to be things sorted so we are up and running for next season (aware a lot of what happens at sfc happens coach or no coach!).

Going to be a long process for a manager after Puel told Reed he would not change his style of football only recently.

IMHO Reed has nobody in mind as we speak and I reckon a good month before someone comes in.

Fake news? Or the end of The Southampton Way?

I was always led to believe we had our next three managers mapped out.

Might just be me but I've always believed in Santa Claus too.

Maybe FdB can bring Ronald De Boer and/or Dennis Bergkamp along as assistants (not very likely to happen). Just a short video with some goals, doesn't show a whole lot about what kind of manager he is, but maybe a glimpse to lighten the negative perceptions a bit? Spot the players who later made it to the PL.

Maybe FdB can bring Ronald De Boer and/or Dennis Bergkamp along as assistants (not very likely to happen). Just a short video with some goals, doesn't show a whole lot about what kind of manager he is, but maybe a glimpse to lighten the negative perceptions a bit? Spot the players who later made it to the PL.

What's your opinion of him Dutchie?

Is the De Boer scepticism based on his short spell at basket case Inter after their takeover, or his time at Ajax where he won four successive titles? Or both?

On paper, he seems a good fit for us without looking deeply into it.

Certainly would be someone who players would respect you would imagine. Not sure if he still has Bergkamp in his team but that would potentially provide a lift too, and PL experience.

What's your opinion of him Dutchie?

I posted some things earlier in this thread. Short version: I do rate him quite a bit, although his weakness is no real Plan B. A good assistant should be able to help with that.

Is the De Boer scepticism based on his short spell at basket case Inter after their takeover, or his time at Ajax where he won four successive titles? Or both?

He didn't win anything in his last two seasons at Ajax (although they were strange seasons in which they won more points as runners up than in the winning ones). So in the past three seasons, it's all gone a bit downhill for him, if you only look at the silverware.

So sky are the only ones really saying tuchel isnt interested, im struggling to believe a firm who runs a betting site, as lets face it, the more money that goes on other candidates the more money they ultimatly earn if it is actually him. Whats to say theyve realised they are set to loose thousands of pounds on the bet, so they distance him from the role and people start putting money on candidates that have no hope

So sky are the only ones really saying tuchel isnt interested, im struggling to believe a firm who runs a betting site, as lets face it, the more money that goes on other candidates the more money they ultimatly earn if it is actually him. Whats to say theyve realised they are set to loose thousands of pounds on the bet, so they distance him from the role and people start putting money on candidates that have no hope

It's more than sky. Telegraph / Echo etc have all said the same.

All I can find on him is how he beat Barca 2-1 using a very defensive tactic, got any other read ups on him?

AvB, FdB all these new names don't excite me at all, i still think we should of gone for Schmidt.

I wouldn't hold the use of defensive tactics against Barca as a reason not to appoint Pellegrino. Both Chelsea and Man City have had to adopt a similar style in recent CL games during Mourhino and Pellegrini tenures. Anyone know what Pellegrino's command of English is like?

I wouldn't hold the use of defensive tactics against Barca as a reason not to appoint Pellegrino. Both Chelsea and Man City have had to adopt a similar style in recent CL games during Mourhino and Pellegrini tenures. Anyone know what Pellegrino's command of English is like?

Guillem Balague says he can speak English.

So De Boer (hell no), Pellegrino or unnamed third guy. History would suggest the unnamed third guy will be the one. Paulo Sousa is without a club which is also a strong historical indicator.

Wonder if we will be willing to look a little further than usual.

http://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/01/17/is-marcelo-gallardo-the-next-great-argentine-manager/

http://the18.com/soccer-news/marcelo-gallardo-river-plate-manager-replace-diego-simeone-atletico-madrid-la-liga-europe-next-big-thing

And bring Driussi with him.