The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

Always the same though. It's gone very quiet. No vote of confidence. No news.

Next step is Les Read issuing a "reassuring" statement saying that everything is under control.

As Uncle Les would say, trust the process.

Not suggesting this as a good idea but could new owners try zola with john terry as assistant player manager

Yeah, they could. If the owners wanted to do that, and Zola and Terry wanted to do that, it could happen.

Not sure if any of these are realistic in terms of availability or a willingness to join us, but I would happily welcome any of these - Frank de Boer, Jurgen Klinsmann, Roberto Mancini, David Wagner, Eddie Howe, Unai Emery or Garry Monk. As for those I wouldn't get excited about - Marco Silva, Claudio Ranieri, Brendan Rodgers or Roy Hodgson. If the new owners, at any point, think Zola may be a good appointment, can somebody please shoot them!

What process, sticking a wet finger up in the wind and guessing a name? Reed wouldn't know a process if it bit him on the Rrrrrr's.

Have you ever posted anything that isn't drivel, you blathering infant?

Fancy a club sacking a manager after just one season. Thank heavens our fans don't think this way......

hahahaha he still could be sacked but I would of thought the Barca loss ironically could save him as they smashed them in the 1st leg and just couldnt defend inthe 2nd.

Seventeen goals at home is poor marketing for season ticket sales, but our chances created is little different from other teams.

I see all home games and several away games a season, and I believe the solution is simple, and nothing really to do with Puel and the cards he has been dealt.

Away from home we are set up to get a result by defending and nicking a goal, which is accepted as a good policy.

The problem is at home, where we are set the same. If we concede, the chances are we would not win, as our 'creative' midfield players and 'strikers', with a couple of exceptions, are wasteful of the numerous opportunities presented.

Once this issue is identified and the club ships out those responsible and brings in more competent finishers, the formation can be more adventurous.

I cannot see what difference any random manager would make to the incumbent technically sound manager, who plays to the team's strengths and covers their weaknesses.

Seventeen goals at home is poor marketing for season ticket sales, but our chances created is little different from other teams.

I see all home games and several away games a season, and I believe the solution is simple, and nothing really to do with Puel and the cards he has been dealt.

Away from home we are set up to get a result by defending and nicking a goal, which is accepted as a good policy.

The problem is at home, where we are set the same. If we concede, the chances are we would not win, as our 'creative' midfield players and 'strikers', with a couple of exceptions, are wasteful of the numerous opportunities presented.

Once this issue is identified and the club ships out those responsible and brings in more competent finishers, the formation can be more adventurous.

I cannot see what difference any random manager would make to the incumbent technically sound manager, who plays to the team's strengths and covers their weaknesses.

I'm sorry kingsland, but you're in entirely the wrong place to talk sense. Move along please.

100% this. Why do people pretend football is more complex than it actually is. Invest in the squad, keep the better players where we can and prepare a team that can be more offensive at home. Job done.

Stability and slowly improving what we have is key not knee jerk changes every time the music stops.

Bull, competent finishers yes would be nice but we've had several games with only 1 sometimes 0 efforts on target, that isn't acceptable at home, this has to come down the poor tactics and game management, he does the same like for like subs rather than change something I feel he is incapable of doing. Prime example utd were there for taking, why not ease Austin on with 15min to go ALONG with Gabbi. Then why the f*** start Austin after 5mths out, and drop Gabbi, surely you start Gabbi then give Austin 30min but play then together, We were at home and needed a goal for f***s sake. To me Gabbi with his excellent movement would be excellent at feeding off another striker not only with the knockdowns but the extra space created by defenders covering the other striker, he has 1 way of playing and luckily that does well away but it's more luck than judgement

Exactly, Puel was dealt a bad hand. It was fairly obvious he wanted the job and accepted it, he I hope will now build a team that will take a larger percentage of chances we create. The biggest problem the club will face is that the critical fans will slink away and await the first chance to come out and make things difficult again

Following:

Pellegrini

Unai Emery (if leaving psg)

Mancini

Eddie Howe

Gary Monk & James Beattie

Can someone give me a reason why they want Garry Monk and Beattie apart from the fact they played for Saints? Genuinely.

Monk did an okay job at Swansea, kept them up but won 1 game in 11 before being sacked, before doing a fairly decent job at Leeds but after looking to be certainties for playoffs finished seventh. He hasn't got a track record of bringing through youth, he hasn't got a track record of attacking football and he hasn't worked in the same transfer structure Saints have. So why the clamour for them?

Exactly, Puel was dealt a bad hand. It was fairly obvious he wanted the job and accepted it, he I hope will now build a team that will take a larger percentage of chances we create. The biggest problem the club will face is that the critical fans will slink away and await the first chance to come out and make things difficult again

The problem I have is that in order to build this team we need the money to do it which will probably mean the sale of at least three of our best players. We could basically be bedding in a brand new core of the team and that takes time. If it doesn't click immediately, and this season suggests that Puel teams take a while to get going, and we don't make a fast start the clamour for Puel to go will become too big to ignore and we will generate a situation like 2004/5 where Sturrock was a dead man walking after 2/3 games of a new season.

As for this "Puel doesn't have any finishers" - he has had Gabbi since January and since he's returned from injury he's looked as ineffective and short of confidence as Long and Rodriguez. There comes a point where you have to stop looking at the players and turning to the tactics and the failings in the coaching regime.

The glimmer of hope I can see is that historically Puel teams have had a relatively uninspiring season (and last season wasn't even that bad) followed by a very good one so let's hope that happens for us if he is staying.

The problem I have is that in order to build this team we need the money to do it which will probably mean the sale of at least three of our best players. We could basically be bedding in a brand new core of the team and that takes time. If it doesn't click immediately, and this season suggests that Puel teams take a while to get going, and we don't make a fast start the clamour for Puel to go will become too big to ignore and we will generate a situation like 2004/5 where Sturrock was a dead man walking after 2/3 games of a new season.

As for this "Puel doesn't have any finishers" - he has had Gabbi since January and since he's returned from injury he's looked as ineffective and short of confidence as Long and Rodriguez. There comes a point where you have to stop looking at the players and turning to the tactics and the failings in the coaching regime.

The glimmer of hope I can see is that historically Puel teams have had a relatively uninspiring season (and last season wasn't even that bad) followed by a very good one so let's hope that happens for us if he is staying.

As for Gabbi, was it down to Puel that when he had a one on one with Butland he missed and also failed with a penalty. Puels tactics werent seen as bad when Gabb was scoring for fun of course

As for Gabbi, was it down to Puel that when he had a one on one with Butland he missed and also failed with a penalty. Puels tactics werent seen as bad when Gabb was scoring for fun of course

Just commenting that he does appear to have lost a bit of confidence and it's down to the coaches to either keep his confidence high or try and restore it.

I don't think Puel is a bad coach and has good tactical knowledge. However I believe that he is not coach we need at the club. I think his message doesn't come across to the players and he struggles to motivate and bond with

them.

With us aspiring to be a solid top 10 premier league club, we need a coach who likes to play attacking football and can attract players to the club. A big name like Mancini, Pellegrini or Emery (preferred choice).

I don't think Puel is a bad coach and has good tactical knowledge. However I believe that he is not coach we need at the club. I think his message doesn't come across to the players and he struggles to motivate and bond with

them.

With us aspiring to be a solid top 10 premier league club, we need a coach who likes to play attacking football and can attract players to the club. A big name like Mancini, Pellegrini or Emery (preferred choice).

Agreed. I like Puel. He isn't perfect but even the most anti-Puel fans would surely admit that Puel's "failure" is due to being at the wrong club rather than just being a bad manager.

On another note am I the only one that doesn't want Howe? He comes across as a right smarmy bastard, I don't buy his nice guy act at all. He's done well at Bournemouth and fair play to him but remember when he flopped at Burnley? The way people talk about Howe, you'd think he wasn't a risk but he is. No thank you.

I'd much rather have either of your three choices.

Agreed. I like Puel. He isn't perfect but even the most anti-Puel fans would surely admit that Puel's "failure" is due to being at the wrong club rather than just being a bad manager.

On another note am I the only one that doesn't want Howe? He comes across as a right smarmy bastard, I don't buy his nice guy act at all. He's done well at Bournemouth and fair play to him but remember when he flopped at Burnley? The way people talk about Howe, you'd think he wasn't a risk but he is. No thank you.

No you're not alone with Howe, though he's done a remarkable job really. I've always said he comes across like if you've got a black cat, he's got a blacker one.

No you're not alone with Howe, though he's done a remarkable job really. I've always said he comes across like if you've got a black cat, he's got a blacker one.

Yeah, not taking anything away from him. He's worked wonders but I just think he might be one of these managers that are just suited to one particular club. I suppose like McMenemy was with us.

Did he really flop at Burnley, the squad he built

them.

TBF the club were quite specific in what they were looking for last summer someone to coach and bring the youth in to the first team, was a major factor, and well as being a training ground coach. I believe they spoke to Pellegrini last summer and didn't feel he was that kind of coach.

While the fans always like the idea of a big name manager I'm really not sure that's what Les is looking for. A lot of stuff came up after Koeman left that suggested the board weren't happy with how he was dealing with youth players and they were critical of Koeman's style of football that suggests to me Les might have felt a bit burned by Koeman. IMO what Les really wants is Poch or someone like him (in terms of coaching rather than style of play necessarily). Whether he got that with Puel only Les could tell you but if we do replace Puel it probably won't be for some big name like the guys you've listed IMO.

Yes but his flop to success ratio is 1-1. It's not like he's worked wonders at 4 or 5 clubs then just had that one stint at Burnley.

hard to be any different when he has only managed two clubs

adkins is a god here. His flop rate is 2:2

it is OK to admit that Howe is clearly an very good manager. Yet to be tested at the top but we are not at the top, we are now the same level as bournemouth. I know that will wind people up but it is now true

Edited by Batman

Like most others on here i think its best we give puel time. But whats even more crutial is that we fix whats wrong with the squad before getting to the manager. IMO first sell the players who looked hopless under puel last season. Like j rod long tadic b/c keeping them while not playing them will just lead to poisoning the dressing room. Then get players who will most likely suit our style or rather puel's. Which IMO means an attack minded mid who would do jwp job better, maybe a DM who contributes to attack and a powerful goal scoring wide man to compete with redmond. Boufal will most likely improve with a full season and good pre season prep under his belt, so will hojbjerg in which case we may not need that DM. This is given that vvd bertrand and cedric stay. I dont think we need anymore strikers as austin was scoring before his injury and we know gabba is suited to the style.

Gallagher will make a good back up.

Then we see how it goes in the first 10 games of the season because we will pretty much be able to tell how the season will go after the first 10 games. Just like last season was all nil nil and 1-1 draws and narrow losses in the first few games and after that the whole season was that way. Next season will be determined by the first 10 games if we do well and get goals and points on board then we'll probs have a good season.. but if not then buckle up because itll turn to s**t so fast after that it'll make our heads spin.

His flop rate is 2:2

And would you take Adkins back? Because I wouldn't. As much as he'd always be welcome back as a youth coach or something, I wouldn't take the risk, we've outgrown him.

I'm not saying Howe is a bad manager...But we have a manager who, we're pretty unlikely to ever be relegated under due to his safety first approach, he's done okay in his first season. I'm not prepared to trade him for a manager who is 50/50 as to which way it would go.

And would you take Adkins back? Because I wouldn't. As much as he'd always be welcome back as a youth coach or something, I wouldn't take the risk, we've outgrown him.

I'm not saying Howe is a bad manager...But we have a manager who, we're pretty unlikely to ever be relegated under due to his safety first approach, he's done okay in his first season. I'm not prepared to trade him for a manager who is 50/50 as to which way it would go.

spurs to a risk on MoPo with a 50:50. No one is laughing at them now

Like most others on here i think its best we give puel time. But whats even more crutial is that we fix whats wrong with the squad before getting to the manager. IMO first sell the players who looked hopless under puel last season. Like j rod long tadic b/c keeping them while not playing them will just lead to poisoning the dressing room. Then get players who will most likely suit our style or rather puel's. Which IMO means an attack minded mid who would do jwp job better, maybe a DM who contributes to attack and a powerful goal scoring wide man to compete with redmond. Boufal will most likely improve with a full season and good pre season prep under his belt, so will hojbjerg in which case we may not need that DM. This is given that vvd bertrand and cedric stay. I dont think we need anymore strikers as austin was scoring before his injury and we know gabba is suited to the style.

Gallagher will make a good back up.

Then we see how it goes in the first 10 games of the season because we will pretty much be able to tell how the season will go after the first 10 games. Just like last season was all nil nil and 1-1 draws and narrow losses in the first few games and after that the whole season was that way. Next season will be determined by the first 10 games if we do well and get goals and points on board then we'll probs have a good season.. but if not then buckle up because itll turn to s**t so fast after that it'll make our heads spin.

If we start next season the way we have finished this one then we shall be in serious danger of relegation.

hard to be any different when he has only managed two clubs

adkins is a god here. His flop rate is 2:2

it is OK to admit that Howe is clearly an very good manager. Yet to be tested at the top but we are not at the top, we are now the same level as bournemouth. I know that will wind people up but it is now true

In the same way that Leicester are now at the same level as Chelsea?

alright if anything, left by a mutual after they were floundering (bottom of La Liga)

I think that's a very one dimensional way of looking at everything but I take your point, he was a risk. Just because Spurs took the risk with MoPo, does it mean we should? The repercussions of failing at Spurs are 8th or something. The repercussions of failing at Saints is relegation. It's just not a risk I would be prepared to take.