The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

Yeah, because after the last 3 appointments he's on a miserable two and a half out of three.

What a loser !!!!!!

It's his forte, half his game. He won't look that great if he fks this appointment up. Les makes his own publicity and his own rod. It is testament to his getting it right that questioning his errors becomes valid. The coming season is going to be key for Les and taking in mind his success and ego I reckon he'll do it.

What a load of twaddle from Craig burley. We're not punching above our weight we've been built for this, we're showing that we won't rest and want to push on. Why can't these idiots commend us instead of accepting the PL order.

Then let's get on and interview him, before Palace conduct their interviews.

I really don't get this that we have not interviewed him yet.

Reed imho has been looking for a manager since April and all of a sudden he wants this guy?

How about this for a long shot?

Press rumour - Emre Mor joined Borussia Dortmund last summer from Danish side Nordsjaelland but has found first-team opportunities hard to come by.....

Livepool and Saints are interested in getting him in on loan.

Twitter last night - Reported by Turkish skysports that Tuchel was on his way to Saints.

Maybe they got the information as Mor is Turkish?

PS - Too busy right now but I plan to take a trip to staplewood.

Reed imho has been looking for a manager since April and all of a sudden he wants this guy?

Press rumour - Emre Mor joined Borussia Dortmund last summer from Danish side Nordsjaelland but has found first-team opportunities hard to come by.....

Livepool and Saints are interested in getting him in on loan.

Twitter last night - Reported by Turkish skysports that Tuchel was on his way to Saints.

Falls down on the fact that the "Turkish Sky Sports" doesn't have a big blue tick. (if I'm finding the right 'source').

If the reason Puel went was unattractive football, it beggars belief that Van Gaal is being mentioned. Awful.

Forget about Man Utd. If you look at his time with Ajax, Bayern Munich and Barcelona you'll see the LvG that could do well very here. The real reason I don't think it'd work is because of his personality.

Delboy kept that secret well hidden until now :lol:

Yeah, because after the last 3 appointments he's on a miserable two and a half out of three.

What a loser !!!!!!

Les has hired Koeman and Puel.

So at best, he is on a 50% success rate. And a lot of people would argue he got unduly lucky with how Koeman turned out.

Add to that the fact that we completley lost Poch under his watch.

I think it is very much a "head in the sand" mentality if people do not seriously look at Les' role if he we have another bad appointment this summer.

Thats purely an objective viewpoint.

I personally think he will appoint a good manager and we will have a good season.

Worth also pointing out that the main reason we are in this mess is because the fan's turned on Puel IMO. And we turned on Puel when really he was failed by the board with regards to playing staff and transfers. I think you can definitely argue that Puel's failures are Les' failures also.

He is not wrong though is he? Everything he says is true. I'd add "He needs to please Southampton's spoilt, trigger happy childish fanbase" to the list as well.

Martin Samuels article was completely wrong on so many counts. It was the sort of cliched rubbish that you would expect from the Daily Fail.

This recent article in The Guardian was much more considered and gives a far more accurate portrayal of where we are as a club right now than Samuels' complete and utter cobblers.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jun/15/claude-puel-southampton-premier-league-expectations

Southampton’s sacking of Claude Puel is not entirely fair on the Frenchman but the club reckon they could do better, which, in the Premier League, is fair enough. There is no guarantee that Southampton’s next manager will do as well as Puel did but the club’s rulers have decided, ruthlessly and with a boldness born of their strong record, to try to find a manager who will rise to the formidable challenge of guiding the team higher and generating a happier buzz around the place. It will be some trick if Southampton pull it off again. Especially if they sell key players. Again.

Nigel Adkins would disagree but there is entertainment to be had in the way Southampton strive to find better managers even at the risk of making fools of themselves, demanding that gaffers be close to supernatural rather than merely good. And to think, people say they lack ambition.

Claude Puel sacked as Southampton manager after one season in charge

Read more

Southampton may accept (without wishing to have it rubbed in their faces by, let’s say, Liverpool) that some players and managers see them as a stepping stone to even grander things, but that does not mean the club have abandoned hope of reaching higher ground. Whether they let top people go willingly or grudgingly, they always back their ability to source someone better. They don’t aways get it right but they’ve proven to be cannier than most.

Puel did not fall short of the reasonable expectations that Southampton could have had when they appointed him less than a year ago, he just failed to meet their admirably unreasonable ones. In his credit column after his solitary season in charge there is a not-to-be-sniffed-at eighth place in the Premier League and a marvellous run in the EFL Cup, in which Southampton overcame four top-flight teams, including Liverpool and Arsenal, without conceding a goal before losing unluckily in the final to Manchester United. That was Southampton’s first appearance in a major final for 14 years.

Advertisement

Several players enjoyed the best season of their careers under Puel, such as Oriol Romeu, James-Ward Prowse, Nathan Redmond, Cédric Soares and, at a stretch, Maya Yoshida. The Frenchman was headhunted partially because of his aptitude for rearing young players and he did that pretty well on the south coast, with Jack Stephens, Sam McQueen and Josh Sims making memorable impacts on the first team.

Those achievements came despite a series of unfortunate events that might have horrified even Lemony Snicket. Puel lost his first signing, Jérémy Pied, to a long-term injury on the first day of the season, then in December lost his only reliable goalscorer, Charlie Austin, to injury for several months and then his first-choice centre-backs (his captain, José Fonte, defecting to West Ham in January and his best player, Virgil van Dijk, suffering a season-ending injury soon afterwards). Throw in shorter-term injuries to players such as Ryan Bertrand and Manolo Gabbiadini and it is clear that Southampton’s results could have been far worse.

But one can imagine them being better, too. Southampton finished just one place away from qualifying for Europe again but actually they were miles off. As the top six teams soared away only Everton grasped at their coat-tails; below that everyone bunched together in a low-brow sprawl, Southampton being just six points above 17th-placed Watford. Southampton finished only two places lower than the previous year but gathered 17 points fewer. That was no surprise after the top clubs strengthened – partially by buying Sadio Mané and Victor Wanyama from Southampton, and the Saints drafted in replacements who have mostly looked inferior so far. But that does not make it an acceptable state of affairs to Southampton’s peculiar and demanding regime.

The ugliest entry in Puel’s debit column was Southampton’s Europa League campaign. After embarrassing themselves on the continent two years ago under Ronald Koeman, the club had high hopes of making a better impression under Puel – who took Lyon to the semi-final of the Champions League – and Southampton did enjoy a couple of satisfying wins over Sparta Prague and Internazionale. But ultimately they flopped out of the competition like rumbled impostors, eliminated at the group stage by a 1-1 home draw with Hapoel Be’er Sheva. Southampton’s approach to that game was damnable, as they initially played against their humdrum visitors as if aiming for the 0-0 draw that would have put them through.

Southampton often played snappily and cleverly under Puel but accusations that excessive caution was cramping their style became more frequent as the season wore on. Puel was unable to rebut those allegations during the run-in, as his team failed to score in their last five home matches. They ended the campaign with a paltry 41 goals from 38 league games, with only the bottom five teams scoring fewer. Again it seems harsh to scold the manager alone for that because part of the reason he tightened up the team was to offset the loss of his best defenders and, more significantly, some of the club’s forwards are incorrigibly erratic, especially when Austin and Gabbiadini are absent. Even when Puel’s team tore through Burnley in October and fired off 34 shots – more than any other Premier League team in any match since 2003 – they managed to win only 3-1.

In Puel’s previous job he inspired Nice to surpass expectations with much pizzazz. At Southampton he generally failed to do that despite the EFL Cup exploits and, accordingly, he achieved only a par performance. Which, paradoxically, is not good enough for Southampton.

What is more, and contrary to the cliche, football management is not only a results business. The troublesome thing for managers of mid-ranking teams is that the farther they get from challenging for the title or European qualification, the higher fans’ demands get for entertainment, at least. Critically, Puel failed to give the impression that he was building towards something more exciting. He did not connect with enough people.

Puel would flunk the entrance exam to the Jürgen Klopp or David Wagner School of Charismatic Speaking. Southampton must have known that when they enlisted him but evidently they still hoped he would create a positive dynamic. It turned out that he could not get through to some players, as too many of them became irritated by his rotation policy, seemingly unconvinced that rationing their workload was in their best interests. Similarly, too many fans suspected Puel’s instincts were negative even though the core message he tried to impart to his players from his very first match – a home draw against Watford during which he railed furiously from the sidelines – was, according to Romeu, “to be braver and to take responsibility and be happy out there”. Ultimately, it did not look as if enough of his players were able to do that as often as demanded. But by jilting Puel, the club’s rulers have followed that instruction.

Nobody has a clue, hope Les and gang have someone lined up! The fact Viera is favorite on the back of no news whatsoever indicates he could be our man.

He'd be a calculated risk that would be worth taking from what I've read. He seems very thorough in all he does, is a name in the game, knows the Premier League and would have the support of at least 2 of the top 6 in City and Arsenal. My concern is a lack of experience. It's probably moot though as I personally think we'll go for Pellegrino, based on noises coming from the media. (Not that we tend to make much noise in the media I guess...)

I've warmed to the idea of Vieira, I must admit.

The MLS is a crazy league though, so it's difficult to assess his performance there. Like all American sports, there is a salary cap so rich clubs can't outspend the others and whoever wins the league gets penalised by getting the last pick in the 'draft'. And then there are the play-offs, which effectively is a complete lottery.

Vieira would be worth the gamble IMO. He's done his groundwork at City and NYCFC and due to his standing in the game will have instant respect of the players, something that was apparently a problem for Puel.

If City see him as their future manager, surely they'd want to see how he copes in the Prem rather than just in the whacky world of the MLS.

Everything seems to have gone very quiet after the early flurry of info. You'd expect more to have leaked to the media by now, especially as they hope to appoint someone by the end of the week. Really we have no idea who the club are looking at.

I've warmed to the idea of Vieira, I must admit.

The MLS is a crazy league though, so it's difficult to assess his performance there. Like all American sports, there is a salary cap so rich clubs can't outspend the others and whoever wins the league gets penalised by getting the last pick in the 'draft'. And then there are the play-offs, which effectively is a complete lottery.

I'm with you on that so there's a first.

A bit of news and this all I know.

New guy is coming in tomorrow, whether its announced tomorrow is another matter.

I'd expect it by Friday.

Either tomorrow or the day after.

Sorry that's all I know.

New guy is coming in tomorrow, whether its announced tomorrow is another matter.

I'd expect it by Friday.

Sorry that's all I know.

So repeating what is already in the press in that it will be announced this weak? :lol:

I'd expect it by Friday.

Sorry that's all I know.

So it's possibly tomorrow, but might not be. And it might not be announced tomorrow, though it might be. It also might be the day after tomorrow.

And it could be anyone.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'd expect it by Friday.

Sorry that's all I know.

Thanks, I'll be keeping my eyes & ears open. This would mean the final decision has been made?

This seriously is not worth the s*it.

I was told literally 10 minutes ago.

If it's in the press I CAN'T help that, the press do nothing but speculate, I was told by someone for 100% the new guy is taking over tomorrow.

But this isn't worth the crap.

I'd expect it by Friday

Sorry that's all I know.

Are you suggesting interviews have already taken place and he is coming over to be crowned, anointed and have photos taken limp-handshaking Les?

I think we are expecting a sequence of shortlisting, interviews, offer and negotiation before the above.

This seriously is not worth the s*it.

I was told literally 10 minutes ago.

If it's in the press I CAN'T help that, the press do nothing but speculate, I was told by someone for 100% the new guy is taking over tomorrow.

But this isn't worth the crap.

So don't bother then?