The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

Why don't we all play each other twice & then see. The best team will finish first, the second best second , and on and on. The 8th best team will finish 8th. I find this a much better system than you deciding who you think is 8th best.

A lot of us don't need a competition to decide which is the best team in British football, because we already support the best team. Those that get more points than us, or win cups, do it by unfair means using shady money and by cheating.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2015/08/05/tactical-philosophy-markus-weinzierl/

This article suggests Weinzierl's another defensive manager (he does use wingbacks though which suits us). You would have thought Reed would be fully aware of the reasons the fans were dissatisfied with an otherwise acceptable season.

This was posted the other day, and makes for a more favourable read.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/europe-calling-how-markus-weinzierl-became-germanys-most-promising-coach

It seems to me that he had four good seasons at Augsberg seeing progress there but eventually left for a bigger club, where it didn't work out for him with a few senior players sulking. His four years at Augsberg is perhaps a little more of a track record than Pelligrino's solitary year at Alaves.

Can't make too much of a judgement over either Wenzierl or Pelligrino's style of play though.

Sometimes a username is apt. I hate few if any people, I dislike a load though. If you think the names bandied around are likely to produce more than what we had then good on you. Personally I feel Puel was treated badly by the club and fans. Our fans used to have the moral high ground with managers and players deserting us, we gave Puel a season, not even a year. The board only got him a decent forward at the end of the campaign, and he had to use the thin squad we had. Look further than the manager for our disappointing football. To me Pied and Gabbiadini look pretty good and Boufal may become a star player, those were down to Puel. He blooded a few youg players and at times the football was superb.

We are now asking for the whole lot to be started again, its madness and also a reckless risk. So far it has worked, only one bad appointment and all we have gained can be swept away in a season.

I agree that very few of the names are exciting and I have little faith in Les Reed but it could be argued that with the destruction of our style of play and negative football that this was a season that took us backwards .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

This was posted the other day, and makes for a more favourable read.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/europe-calling-how-markus-weinzierl-became-germanys-most-promising-coach

It seems to me that he had four good seasons at Augsberg seeing progress there but eventually left for a bigger club, where it didn't work out for him with a few senior players sulking. His four years at Augsberg is perhaps a little more of a track record than Pelligrino's solitary year at Alaves.

Can't make too much of a judgement over either Wenzierl or Pelligrino's style of play though.

German Eddie Howe then, ok at small clubs but can't hack it when a small fish in a big pond

German Eddie Howe then, ok at small clubs but can't hack it when a small fish in a big pond

Interesting point about Weinzierl perhaps, don't know the answer. Howe - don't think he's been at a "big club" though to draw any conclusion.

Are we big enough to worry about this though ? I don't know the relative standing of Schalke in Germany to make a comparison.

Looks to me like Les has dropped a bollock here. Why wait so long to sack Puel without a replacement signed up? Just incompetent IMO. If we lose Pellegrino to Palace because of our "structure" it's embarrassing. To think we could go from finishing sixth and having a top manager like Pellegrini wanting to manage us to having some second rate Bundesliga manager at the start of next season...frightening.

Oh well, in Les we trust as people on here would say.

So if we had come say 5th in the PL last season you would still want to be in the championship?

Yesssssss. Don't you get it. We didn't come fifth and is fifth winning?. We are not likely to get close to fifth in the foreseeable.

If you are deep down honest are you looking forward to already knowing the makeup of the premier league finishing places before it starts.

I apologise for the disallusionment (spelling)but going for the championship was a lot more exciting than anything I've experienced being in the premier league and Ive been supporting the saints since its inception

Looks to me like Les has dropped a bollock here. Why wait so long to sack Puel without a replacement signed up? Just incompetent IMO. If we lose Pellegrino to Palace because of our "structure" it's embarrassing. To think we could go from finishing sixth and having a top manager like Pellegrini wanting to manage us to having some second rate Bundesliga manager at the start of next season...frightening.

Let's reserve judgement shall we ?

But of course it may head this way.

(Toby, Koeman leaving, Puel, Fonte & the CB situation, doesn't bode well.)

Let's reserve judgement shall we ?

But of course it may head this way.

(Toby, Koeman leaving, Puel, Fonte & the CB situation, doesn't bode well.)

Agreed but, so we are told, he's the one making the footballing decisions. If we swap Puel for Weinzierel then that's a complete farce for me. I wanted Puel out because I've never been so bored by a season of Saints football but to replace him with a manager with an ostensibly worse record in an equivalent league is a bit silly. I genuinely thought we would only bin CP with a better option lined up and delivered. Hopefully that's Pellegrino.

Dear god

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol..it's not hard is it? Didn't like what he served up and no matter what the future holds I will never wish we still had him as the manager!

If we go down it will be the next manager failed and nothing to do with Puel. In my opinion Puel would have took us down anyway but that can never be proved now can it?

Interesting point about Weinzierl perhaps, don't know the answer. Howe - don't think he's been at a "big club" though to draw any conclusion.

Are we big enough to worry about this though ? I don't know the relative standing of Schalke in Germany to make a comparison.

The Newcastle of German football.

Yesssssss. Don't you get it. We didn't come fifth and is fifth winning?. We are not likely to get close to fifth in the foreseeable.

If you are deep down honest are you looking forward to already knowing the makeup of the premier league finishing places before it starts.

I apologise for the disallusionment (spelling)but going for the championship was a lot more exciting than anything I've experienced being in the premier league and Ive been supporting the saints since its inception

To each their own but I go to football to watch games, not so I can get all moist over numbers in a league table.

The season before last wasn't exciting because we finished 6th, it was exciting because we beat Arsenal 4-0, City 4-2, Chelsea 3-1, Liverpool 3-2 (from 2-0 down in the last minute), won at Old Trafford in the last minute. Even with the crappy defeats at Burnley, Norwich and Palace I'd still take that over winning the Championship.

I agree that very few of the names are exciting and I have little faith in Les Reed but it could be argued that with the destruction of our style of play and negative football that this was a season that took us backwards .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

We have been on an upward trajectory for a few years now, all of them under Les Read. It was bound to level off at some point - so what leads to your lack of faith?

Here we go again it's a all Les fault ********. We were obviously willing to try and still work with Puel, when it was apparent that it couldn't work we parted company and then we started looking. All correct and the right way of doing things don't you think. What is this structure barrier that has suddenly become a thing on here.

To each their own but I go to football to watch games, not so I can get all moist over numbers in a league table.

The season before last wasn't exciting because we finished 6th, it was exciting because we beat Arsenal 4-0, City 4-2, Chelsea 3-1, Liverpool 3-2 (from 2-0 down in the last minute), won at Old Trafford in the last minute. Even with the crappy defeats at Burnley, Norwich and Palace I'd still take that over winning the Championship.

That's exactly what he is saying. I'd rather see us finish lower and actually enjoy the games than finish midtable and be bored to death.

I'd be quite happy finishing higher in the table if I wasn't paying for the season ticket and train fare from Weymouth though.

You'd take finishing 6th in the Premier League over winning the Championship?

Oooh, you connoisseur you.

Anyone we'll end up signing will have been our first choice all along, of course.

Which is why the secretive behind closed doors negotiations is correct.

No one will be able to prove otherwise.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The most entertaining recent seasons we've had were the two promotion seasons because we were winning most weeks and playing for something right up until the end of the season. We were also a big club at that level who took other peoples players rather than the other way around as it is now.

Winning the championship would would easily be more fun than finishing mid table in the PL but it's not exactly a reasonable aim to get relegated to try and win the championship.

Edited by doddisalegend

I find it all rather hilarious. The club hold secret talks. Al parties keep council. No leaks.

We speculate. The media speculate. I speculate.

Logic tells you that agreement with a certain party had been reached prior to the sacking of Puel.

Southampton are professionals, with huge experience. They know what they're doing.

How can anyone criticise without fact.

I find it all rather hilarious. The club hold secret talks. Al parties keep council. No leaks.

Logic tells you that agreement with a certain party had been reached prior to the sacking of Puel.

Southampton are professionals, with huge experience. They know what they're doing.

Agreed.

And I like your.

Neil Allen style of.

Punctuation.

Just want to pick up on the highlighted bit - you've got no proof of that at all, have you? That's just your speculation. That's fair enough but don't say that logic dictates it - it's just a phrase you've plucked out of the air to make your argument seem a bit better. Personally I find it hard to believe that this would have been the shortlist Les would have wanted at the start of the process - looks more likely to me that we've been turned down bu our top targets and these are just the ones that are left. That's just my speculation though and I wouldn't claim that "logic dictates" I'm right....

Just want to pick up on the highlighted bit - you've got no proof of that at all, have you? That's just your speculation. That's fair enough but don't say that logic dictates it - it's just a phrase you've plucked out of the air to make your argument seem a bit better. Personally I find it hard to believe that this would have been the shortlist Les would have wanted at the start of the process - looks more likely to me that we've been turned down bu our top targets and these are just the ones that are left. That's just my speculation though and I wouldn't claim that "logic dictates" I'm right....

No, Andy Durman once waited for Les in the car park of SMS and asked for some advice on doing his badges. He's been a starry-eyed lackey ever since.

I would quite like either the Argentinian Aaron Hotchner or Weinzierl, from what I've read they're both decent man managers, adaptive tactics but also both seem to be a strong figure. Maybe that's what we've been missing to motivate us.

Schalke seriously under-performed last season.

Should be CL contenders every season really, and they spent much of the season battling against falling into the relegation zone. I have many friends in Germany and the huge Schalke support was quite unimpressed by him.

In fairness, however KLopp had the same problem at Dortmund in his last season there where he plunged them into the bottom 2 for a while before eventually dragging them out of it.