The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

A bit of news and this all I know.

New guy is coming in tomorrow, whether its announced tomorrow is another matter.

I'd expect it by Friday.

Either tomorrow or the day after.

Sorry that's all I know.

I'm not in the know at all so don't quote me. But it might be hot here in Rome tomorrow. It could also rain or be cloudy. Just some news I heard so thought I'd pass it on.

Please tell me who could get Long Jrod and our midfield to put the ball in the net. The chances were created but the glaring misses were there for all to see.

If we think Alaves is some kind of great achievement finishing 9th in a league of 3 or 4 teams it is concerning.He got his team to the cup final, did he do so by beating clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool on the way???

Yep he had minimal spend, are we saying that we are now going to do the same. Millwall got to a cupfinal a few years back lets get their manager

You hate everyone who isn't Puel . Why the obsession with him .

You know why he was sacked yet you continue saying the same thing over and over .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

You hate everyone who isn't Puel . Why the obsession with him .

You know why he was sacked yet you continue saying the same thing over and over .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Sometimes a username is apt. I hate few if any people, I dislike a load though. If you think the names bandied around are likely to produce more than what we had then good on you. Personally I feel Puel was treated badly by the club and fans. Our fans used to have the moral high ground with managers and players deserting us, we gave Puel a season, not even a year. The board only got him a decent forward at the end of the campaign, and he had to use the thin squad we had. Look further than the manager for our disappointing football. To me Pied and Gabbiadini look pretty good and Boufal may become a star player, those were down to Puel. He blooded a few youg players and at times the football was superb.

We are now asking for the whole lot to be started again, its madness and also a reckless risk. So far it has worked, only one bad appointment and all we have gained can be swept away in a season.

I'm not in the know at all so don't quote me. But it might be hot here in Rome tomorrow. It could also rain or be cloudy. Just some news I heard so thought I'd pass it on.

Hey, I don't know whether AR10 is ITK or a complete phoney, but let's not insult him. He may have some insider info sometime that we might like to hear. Every time anyone shares anything someone shouts SOURCE.

I'd rather hear someone's perspective than they be shouted down.

Hope this all works out but I'd have preferred to keep Puel one more season with a few new signings and no Europa as a distraction. I get it that the football was not entertaining but that could have been a byproduct of trying to get as much out of a depleted back line, goal shy midfield and a misfiring forward line. Perhaps Puel actually did a marvelous job, we'll never know because we can't go back and replay the same season under a different manager with the same conditions.

The new guy might do worse regardless of his record elsewhere. Hopefully he'll bring exciting football, goals and points. Time will tell.

Sometimes a username is apt. I hate few if any people, I dislike a load though. If you think the names bandied around are likely to produce more than what we had then good on you. Personally I feel Puel was treated badly by the club and fans. Our fans used to have the moral high ground with managers and players deserting us, we gave Puel a season, not even a year. The board only got him a decent forward at the end of the campaign, and he had to use the thin squad we had. Look further than the manager for our disappointing football. To me Pied and Gabbiadini look pretty good and Boufal may become a star player, those were down to Puel. He blooded a few youg players and at times the football was superb.

We are now asking for the whole lot to be started again, its madness and also a reckless risk. So far it has worked, only one bad appointment and all we have gained can be swept away in a season.

We don;t always agree but this is absolutely spot on IMO. I think, as a fanbase, we have very unrealistic expectations - and also look back with rose tinted specs. When we finished 6th under Koeman we played some awful football for 1/2 to 2/3 of the season but we scraped wins and this dullness was forgotten in light of the end result.

I think Puel was harshly treated - although he did not help himself at times - but if he did refuse to change our style at home then probably best we parted ways. Because the majority of the games at home were truly dull.

Personally I think he was harshly treated - and the names being bandied about don't make me think 'wow, what an upgrade'.

Hoijbjerg had a fantastic first game... Fantastic passing average and went downhill.

Boufal scored a scorcher in the cup... Went down hill.

Gabbiadini had a brilliant 4 games... And then where were the goals?

It could be argued that once Puel imbued his ideas on them it effected their play.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hoijbjerg had a fantastic first game... Fantastic passing average and went downhill.

Boufal scored a scorcher in the cup... Went down hill.

Gabbiadini had a brilliant 4 games... And then where were the goals?

It could be argued that once Puel imbued his ideas on them it effected their play.

I think he affected your spelling too.

yes but had he had those 2 ealrier and fit do you really think we would not have progressed more. Puel wasnt given the tools to do the job

There have been times recently at home matches when it's seemed that there were a lot of tools on the pitch.

Hope this all works out but I'd have preferred to keep Puel one more season with a few new signings and no Europa as a distraction. I get it that the football was not entertaining but that could have been a byproduct of trying to get as much out of a depleted back line, goal shy midfield and a misfiring forward line. Perhaps Puel actually did a marvelous job, we'll never know because we can't go back and replay the same season under a different manager with the same conditions.

The new guy might do worse regardless of his record elsewhere. Hopefully he'll bring exciting football, goals and points. Time will tell.

Given till Christmas I think a lot of our better players will have walked faster if Puel were still to be here.

There seem to be a lot of people on here, twitter etc suggesting that it was a good season because we were 8th. Yet if we'd had the same identical season, yet a couple of other teams had won in the final week and we were 10th or 11th, it would be a poor season?

So you end up in a position where whether it's viewed as a good or bad season is down to what some other rubbish teams do in uncompetitive games in May. It's just not a great way to gauge a manager's performance.

That's how a league works though. We were the 8th best team in the league.

The other 12 teams were particularly bad though this season, and I expect an improvement in performances, points total and final league position, as most fans do.

That's how a league works though. We were the 8th best team in the league.

The other 12 teams were particularly bad though this season, and I expect an improvement in performances, points total and final league position, as most fans do.

Legally we finished 8th but to say that we were 8th best is stretching things a bit.

There seem to be a lot of people on here, twitter etc suggesting that it was a good season because we were 8th. Yet if we'd had the same identical season, yet a couple of other teams had won in the final week and we were 10th or 11th, it would be a poor season?

So you end up in a position where whether it's viewed as a good or bad season is down to what some other rubbish teams do in uncompetitive games in May. It's just not a great way to gauge a manager's performance.

Difference is in the top 5 teams, in 2015/16 the top 5 totalled a bit over 350 points I think and last season that total was over 400. When the Top 5 dominate then there's less for the also rans.

Pellegrino sounds ideal for us, tactically flexible, good man-manager, able to get teams playing better than the sum of its parts and recent excellent results against much better teams. Prem experience too.

But what happens if we do, but get more than 46 points? Improvement or not?

A tough call, but I would actually prefer to end up lower in the league if we played more exciting football, that is scoring more- even if we concede more.

As low as 9th.

A tough call, but I would actually prefer to end up lower in the league if we played more exciting football, that is scoring more- even if we concede more.

As low as 9th.

That really isn't the name of the game, football is about winning (or not losing when necessary) and finishing as high up the table as possible.

That really isn't the name of the game, football is about winning (or not losing when necessary) and finishing as high up the table as possible.

This.

Its a results business and if say, our new man gets us 1-0 wins every game playing some defensive football I would take that all day long over a 2-2 or a 3-2 defeat

This.

Its a results business and if say, our new man gets us 1-0 wins every game playing some defensive football I would take that all day long over a 2-2 or a 3-2 defeat

Thing is it wouldn't be 1-0 wins every game - every man and his brother would take that. For a fair comparison you'd have to ask would you rather take a slightly higher win percentage and dull, defensive football, or exciting football, high scoring games and maybe a few less points. Personally I'd go for entertainment; we're probably going to finish around mid-table either way so let's have some fun doing it.

I'd take a few exciting 2-2 draws and 3-2 wins any day over dull defensive football, even if that means not getting as many points. I want my team to entertain and excite me, and actually I think we all enjoy being on the edge of our seats for the bulk of the games we watch.

I chatted with two ardent Saints supporters/ ST holders last night and both told me that they were bored to tears at the dull football served last season. More than happy to see Puel go but concerned over the next appointment.

I did. And he was. Read my post that commented on a lack of knowledge of other candidates. So read into this interview what you wish...

That's kool Forester, thanks for the input I was just pointing out the link in relation to what you said the other day well still the guessing continues!

Have we had it confirmed that Black has left too?

He might have gone but he might not have. There's a bit of talking to do but there's not a lot more to discuss. It should be confirmed tomorrow or the day after that - but it might not be. It may go on longer. Also, he may never leave at all. Sometime soon, I know this for a FACT

In which case' date=' might just be a bit of face saving from Vieira?[/quote']

Can't remember the last time a working manager admitted going out for an interview at another job.

It also would explain the A. N Other in the original wilson telegraph article.

But what happens if we do, but get more than 46 points? Improvement or not?

As adriansfc alluded to on the previous page, when it comes to the enjoyment of watching your team play each week, it's actually only the points total that matters, since the higher that is, the more you've seen your team win (or draw). Your league position also depends on how others do. Sure, I'm happy to see teams around us slip up knowing that will boost our chances of finishing higher, but West Ham or Stoke losing doesn't make my weekend in the same way that a Saints victory does.

Of course league position is often a good measure of progress, or objective achievement, but in the purist form of "how happy is MY TEAM making me?" then it has to be the points tally on the board.