The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

[sarcasm]How about Paul Scholes, we did well with a ginger ex-Man U midfielder in the past [/sarcasm]

Same goes for Pelligrino. Just because his (poor record) looks like Poch and he has a fancy name then get him in.

We need someone BETTER than Puel otherwise WHY fire him?

Hasn't really been mentioned but Thierry Henry would be my choice, as assistant to Laurent Blanc.

Imagine. Stop flaffin about and get it done Lesley.

If you want Laurent Blanc, which incidentally is a fair old idea, then we need to get those rich Chinese in ASAP.

He's a 200K a week man, or at least he was at PSG. As they had to give him a pay off of some 20 million £, then they may still have some sort of control over any future employment during the period for which they had to stump up.

Not strictly related to us, but...

Sunderland have posted an interesting update in regards to their hunt for a boss, and how a prospective take-over is effecting it.

SUNDERLAND MANAGER UPDATE

Sunderland have just posted this update to their website: “Since the end of the season, our focus has been to appoint a new manager.

“Recently, however, discussions have been entered into with parties who have expressed an interest in acquiring ownership of the club.

“With this backdrop, we have been unable to give the assurances any potential candidate would need regarding the plans a new owner could have for the manager’s position. The recruitment process, whilst still very much active, cannot therefore be concluded imminently.”

It follows Derek McInnes' decision to stay at Aberdeen after holding talks with Sunderland.

If the chinese are taking a majority share then chances are they'll want a 'name' as the new manager - so sh1t like rowett, dyche, howe etc won't fit the bill. Some of the seemingly out of reach names being mentioned may not be that unrealistic......which hopefully means they'll be given some money to spend too!

If the chinese are taking a majority share then chances are they'll want a 'name' as the new manager - so sh1t like rowett, dyche, howe etc won't fit the bill. Some of the seemingly out of reach names being mentioned may not be that unrealistic......which hopefully means they'll be given some money to spend too!

Paolo Di Canio or Gus Poyet it is then....

[sarcasm]How about Paul Scholes, we did well with a ginger ex-Man U midfielder in the past [/sarcasm]

Same goes for Pelligrino. Just because his (poor record) looks like Poch and he has a fancy name then get him in.

We need someone BETTER than Puel otherwise WHY fire him?

Pretty much how I feel about Pellegrino after the (limited) digging around I've done on him.

Away on a stag do this weekend but just to recap and make sure I have this correct...

According to various media reports, we were actively considering German candidates including Tuchel and Schmidt.

But we never had any serious interest in Tuchel after he ruled himself out of the job. And of course we only had a quick glance at Roger Schmidt, because he has already left for a club in China.

Now there is mysteriously no German candidate involved on a very short short list of FdB and Pellegrino.

FdB we so nearly appointed last year but chickened out because of perceived bias towards Dutch people.

Mauricio Pellegrino is unemployed and sounds a lot like one of our previous managers so naturally warrants an interview.

A mystery candidate is thrown in the hat to excite and from the previous fluff about looking to Germany for an appointment.

Oracle Les always has 5-6 managers he's considering at any one time should the current incumbent leave.

But all those managers happen to be unemployed and therefore showing no current signs of why they might be a good manager at all. Very conveniently, and coincidentally of course, it does mean we won't have to pay any compensation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, we just gave Puel £6M+ to pay off his final 2 years, so we probably are skint now.

Well, we just gave Puel £6M+ to pay off his final 2 years, so we probably are skint now.

I doubt we paid very much at all in compensation actually. If Puel made too high a demand for compensation he clearly would be tied to us preventing him going for other employment.

I very much doubt we've paid up his full contract. There will be numerous clauses in it stipulating what he can expect under various circumstances.

To put it into context, that's more than Utd paid Moyes to terminate a contract with 5 years remaining.

Chelsea paid Mourinho £8m when he had 3.5 years left.

It's a 'NO' from me for Giggs, no personality and unproven; and a 'NO' to Howe, a one club man who failed the only time he tried to leave. In fact 'NO' to any British manager. German mangers are very fashionable at the moment, can't we get one of them?

It's a 'NO' from me for Giggs, no personality and unproven; and a 'NO' to Howe, a one club man who failed the only time he tried to leave. In fact 'NO' to any British manager. German mangers are very fashionable at the moment, can't we get one of them?

Fashionable where exactly ? Oh right Germany, where of course their league champions are coached by an Italian who took over from a Spaniard. Yep got it...

Funnily enough I wouldn't have a problem with Poyet. Did a great job at Brighton, kept a very poor Sunderland team up and was harshly sacked

My lad met him & was absolutely raving about him, said he's one of the most charismatic person he'd ever met.

Giggs, Id rather have John Terry. AVB or LVH, do me a ****ing favour. If we've sacked a decent man for one of those , FFS.

I made no secret of the fact I felt Claude Puel deserved another year & looking at the names mentioned on here, I'm even more convinced.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

My lad met him & was absolutely raving about him, said he's one of the most charismatic person he'd ever met.

Giggs, Is rather have John Terry. AVB or LVH, do me a ****ing favour. If we've sacked a decent man for one of those , FFS.

I made no secret of the fact I felt Claude Puel deserved another year & looking at the names mentioned on here, I'm even more convinced.

Perhaps Claude just didn't fancy another year, being pressured from all sides to change the way his side plays. I mean there's not a lot of jobs that don't really suit you that you can just walk away from with a pay off are there. I doubt that anyone even knows the real figures but the sums paid to sacked UK football managers these last few years must be pretty astronomic.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Frank de Boer not in contention to replace Claude Puel at Southampton: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/southampton-next-manager-frank-de-boer-latest-odds-claude-puel-a7794211.html

A slightly strange article.

Well either one of the Echo or Independent are wrong. The former said Tuchel didn't make the shortlist, and the Independent say we 'sounded him out'.

Still hoping this 'third option' Jeremy Wilson talked about inspires a bit more than Pellegrino.

I think an interesting choice would be Murat Yakin- we were linked with him pre-Koeman but he joined Spartak Moscow- didn't do so great there but he did an excellent job at Basel before that when they had a great run in Europe and played some really good football with Salah, Elneny, Schar etc. Although he's currently managing in the Swiss second division with Schauffhausen I'm pretty sure he went there to help out his brother (Hakan) with coaching, after he joined I think they went from bottom to 4th. Probably too much information but I think he'd be a good fit.

so, if the tea leaves are right let me get this straight...............

We fire a manager that got us to 8th and a Cup Final playing, on the whole, dour defensive football

and are looking to replace him with a coach that:

Got to 9th in La Liga, lost a Cup Final, played negative dour football and got fired

Can someone please tell me how that can possibly be an upgrade? Makes no sense if that happens and is bats**t crazy. Puel has every right to feel very, very aggrieved.

We fire a manager that got us to 8th and a Cup Final playing, on the whole, dour defensive football

Got to 9th in La Liga, lost a Cup Final, played negative dour football and got fired

Can someone please tell me how that can possibly be an upgrade? Makes no sense if that happens and is bats**t crazy. Puel has every right to feel very, very aggrieved.

I have to admit that I didn't overly want to see him gone, however, we scored very few goals at home and were 17 points off last season so something wasn't right.

I don't know, I am leaning towards Giggs. After looking at the mentioned candidates none of them impress me. Rather than signing another retread that has failed much more than succeeded, why not take a chance at someone new? At least he still knows what it feels like to win.

As a player, not a manager. This would be the worst possible nightmare.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We fire a manager that had lost a swathe of players and fans.

We are looking for a manager that the players will get along with and enjoy working under and who will play watchable football

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Really hope Les has got an ace up his sleeve as none of the names being touted on here fill me with confidence. Giving a untested Giggs a chance because he was a winner as a player is the sort of stupid idea I'd expect from Rupert Lowe, factor in the managerial careers of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Gary Neville and it's a no from me.

- Frank de Boer 5/2

- Mauricio Pellegrino 3/1

- Jaap Stam 5/1

- Ryan Giggs 13/2

- Sean Dyche 15/2

- Patrick Vieira 8/1

- Manuel Pellegrini 12/1

- Louis van Gaal 12/1

- Vítor Pereira 16/1

- Eddie Howe 18/1

- Brendan Rodgers 20/1

- Roy Hodgson 20/1