The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

I don't rate Puel. I think the man tactically is weak. He has the charisma of a wet fart. This man couldn't inspire a Eskimo to get out of bed on a heatwave let alone get a football team to kick on.

It's not rocket science most the players look disinterested / annoyed forced to play dull football.

For me I would sack Puel and either get Ranieri or Howe

Who would you get and why?

Marco Silva. Thought he sounded a good fit for us when he was linked in the summer and has done a first class job with Hull especially after selling their two best players in January.

AVB would be my number one choice - but financially probably not realistic, although he might feel he has unfinished business in England. Frank De Boer would be a possibility, but maybe tainted by failure at Inter. I have always seen Rowett as a decent up and coming english manager and he could perhaps be persuaded away from Derby. Jokanovic at Fulham looks promising if they don't go up, although there is talk of him going to West Ham. I actually would not be unhappy to see Bilic at St Mary's.

You are correct in your, admittedly, somewhat colourful appraisal of Puel and it is clear he is totally unsuited to English football and it is imperative he is replaced in order for the club to progress, not regress which is happening at present.

The obvious replacement candidate is Marco Silva. He has already proved himself in the PL, something Puel isn't remotely close to and Silva clearly has the motivational skills so lacking in our own leader. We have some roster issues but even so our squad is way better than Hull and our blokes have clearly given up on Puel but Hull's look as if they would run through brick walls for Silva. You tell me who you would rather have, I know what my answer is. So, over to you Les Reed ....

Marco Silva, no doubt whatsoever, in fact I'd break the bank, we should show our ambition and and take him from Hull in the same way that other teams take players/managers from us. He's taken a team with very little talent, galvanised them and got them playing good football. Imagine what he could have done this season with some of the players we have.

It's a no brainer, bin this cure for amnesia and get Silva in before our players get themselves moves elsewhere, though it may already be too late for that.

Marco Silva, no doubt whatsoever, in fact I'd break the bank, we should show our ambition and and take him from Hull in the same way that other teams take players/managers from us. He's taken a team with very little talent, galvanised them and got them playing good football. Imagine what he could have done this season with some of the players we have.

It's a no brainer, bin this cure for amnesia and get Silva in before our players get themselves moves elsewhere, though it may already be too late for that.

Guessing you mean Insomnia? Ha

Be careful what you wish for !

A new guy could very easily struggle in his first year just as Puel (arguably) has. I believe that he has a 3 year contract so entering his second year he may well have learnt a lot about the PL and improve somewhat !

In addition he will not have the extra matches from the Europa League, so for me the jury is still out !!!

If you suggest Ranieri you don't really deserve an opinion. Awful manager who got lucky last year with a very good assistant and very good defensive midfielder.

Monk not much better and wouldn't have Howe either, not that I think he'd come here anyway.

Would take Silva and would seem a natural fit and easy choice, but think we could do better.

If we were to go English, It'd have to be Rowett

AVB, Jokanović, Dardai (at Herta Berlin), Nagelsmann (Hoffenheim), but he's probably above our level, would all be on my shortlist. However, I'd be going all out to get Emery.

The annoying thing is, we were in a far better position to get someone in when Koeman left, our stock was higher and we had a European campaign to look forward to. That's why it's so frustrating that we ended up hiring the current idiot.

I also want to give a lot of credit to Claude Puel. The ****ing state of the team he took over in 2012... It felt like a relegation coming when the team lost Eric Mouloungui - 28 years, and 21 goals in 119 games as a striker. He was quite ****, but not as **** as Mickaël Poté or Franck Dja Djedjé or Abraham Gneki Guié or...

The team literally survived just because Civelli, Pejcinovic, Ospina, and Digard created a decent defensive lineup. But the squad was so thin, I was thinking "what the ****?!" when the club sold Larrys Mabiala to a turkish relegation candidate for €500 000...

But Puel came in. Started by selling Mounier and Monzon to get some cash. Cvitanich (€1,5m, **** at Ajax) scored 19 league goals in his first season. Valentin Eysseric (€1,5m) is still at the club, and a starter this spring. Timothée Kolodziejczak, Nampalys Mendy, and Eric Bauthéac for free. Alassane Pléa for €0,5m. Jean Michaël Seri for €1m. Valère Germain, Ricardo Pereira, Carlos Eduardo on loan.

And at the same time being AWESOME with youth players. Several seasons in a row, Nice were by far the youngest team in the five biggest leagues. Jordan Amavi and Vincent Koziello a few examples of players he made starters.

Favre is great. But. Puel deserves so much credit for the things he did for four years, with literally no money. During the 2013/2014 season, he didn't spend a single euro on transfer fees. Mendy and Bodmer for free, Brüls on loan. That was it.

Over four years, he spent €11m on signing. Sold players for €30m.

I also want to give a lot of credit to Claude Puel. The ****ing state of the team he took over in 2012... It felt like a relegation coming when the team lost Eric Mouloungui - 28 years, and 21 goals in 119 games as a striker. He was quite ****, but not as **** as Mickaël Poté or Franck Dja Djedjé or Abraham Gneki Guié or...

The team literally survived just because Civelli, Pejcinovic, Ospina, and Digard created a decent defensive lineup. But the squad was so thin, I was thinking "what the ****?!" when the club sold Larrys Mabiala to a turkish relegation candidate for €500 000...

But Puel came in. Started by selling Mounier and Monzon to get some cash. Cvitanich (€1,5m, **** at Ajax) scored 19 league goals in his first season. Valentin Eysseric (€1,5m) is still at the club, and a starter this spring. Timothée Kolodziejczak, Nampalys Mendy, and Eric Bauthéac for free. Alassane Pléa for €0,5m. Jean Michaël Seri for €1m. Valère Germain, Ricardo Pereira, Carlos Eduardo on loan.

And at the same time being AWESOME with youth players. Several seasons in a row, Nice were by far the youngest team in the five biggest leagues. Jordan Amavi and Vincent Koziello a few examples of players he made starters.

Favre is great. But. Puel deserves so much credit for the things he did for four years, with literally no money. During the 2013/2014 season, he didn't spend a single euro on transfer fees. Mendy and Bodmer for free, Brüls on loan. That was it.

I honestly couldn't give a sh!t what he done in France. From what I've seen, he's a bang average manager in the PL.

Trust me, we will do better next season with Puel at the helm than Marco Silva.

I heard a journo on the radio talking about Hull's transfer dealings in Jan and hinted about his relationship with Jorge Mendes . Harry Redknapp-Willie McKay came to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful what you wish for !

A new guy could very easily struggle in his first year just as Puel (arguably) has. I believe that he has a 3 year contract so entering his second year he may well have learnt a lot about the PL and improve somewhat !

In addition he will not have the extra matches from the Europa League, so for me the jury is still out !!!

Marco Silva will not struggle in his first year, he has already proved at Hull what he can do in his first year in English football, goodness knows what he could do with a good squad like ours. If Puel had learnt so much in his first year he would be displaying it already, instead he is actually getting worse as time goes on.

If you really do still think that Puel is probably right for Saints, then I just happen to have a very large bridge in Sydney that you might like to buy on the cheap ....

The annoying thing is, we were in a far better position to get someone in when Koeman left, our stock was higher and we had a European campaign to look forward to. That's why it's so frustrating that we ended up hiring the current idiot.

We didn't and we wouldn't have; Les Reed did. Our next manager will have to meet the same requirements Puel did: to do as Reed wants him to do and to be prepared to accept a job where he is not 'the boss' where football matters are concerned. In the end, neither Pochettino nor Koeman could accept those limitations. So, it's unlikely Reed will appoint a strong character with his own ideas again.

"Cure for amnesia" Wot? Lol

could not care less what he has done in France. In football it is much about being at the right club at the right time. Adkins for example

Guardiola is supposed to be the best manager in world football. He is not even in the top 3 in england this season with an unlimited budget

you have to have the person that is the rightr fit for the club. Puel just is not that. FFS, looks like we have to totally rebuild this side with him in charge. He has failed to get the best out of much of the side

Let's get some Southampton blood back - Tommy Widdrington is with Coventry now and would jump at the chance of a return to Saints.

What's your thoughts on Walter? Reckon you'll stick this summer or appoint another new manager?

What happened to the hipsters choice summer 2016, Paco Jemez? Surely he'd be high on people's lists.

Just checked... 15th out of 18th in the Mexican Clausura :lol:. He was a ridiculous option, the anti-Karanka, his teams leaked goals as much as Karanka's Middlesbrough avoided scoring them.

Anyway, this is what I wrote in the clearout thread:

Puel out only if one of the following coaches are willing to come (all are out of contract this summer): Berizzo, Blanc, Marcelino, Roger Schmidt, Marco Silva, Valverde

If none of those want to come than Puel should stay. Since we don't poach from other clubs, as far as I can see these are the only better options (and some of them aren't really that much better).

Marco Silva.

A man who can work quickly and effectively, a man whose teams actually have an identity and a plan and the nearest thing we'll get to Poch-style football. Can get 'big-game' results and is still, bizarrely, criminally overlooked by some of the FotB weirdos on here. Knows how to blood youngsters, too. He'd fit almost seamlessly into the club. Anyway, whatever happens, he'll go on to manage a European superclub in the next few years.

We should go all out to get him but I'm afraid Les won't want to admit he made a mistake.

Ambition is now taking Hull's manager is it? Both sides were crap on Saturday certainly nothing very exciting from Hull to suggest Silva would be an upgrade on Puel.

Isn't Laurent Blanc still available after PSG let him go?

Edited by doddisalegend

Ambition is now taking Hull's manager is it? Both sides were crap on Saturday certainly nothing very exciting from Hull to suggest Silva would be an upgrade on Puel.

They're not always crap and that was a solid point for them. With everything he's had to contend with he's worked a minor miracle with the players at his disposal.

We can't afford Emery and he's a bit up and down anyway.

Second on my list is Roger Schmidt.

It's a bit like a team who wants to win the League hiring a mid table manager with 'no plan B'. That's what Spurs did, nobody is laughing at them now.

I have no idea how well he could do with more resources but them how would Puel have done with Morgan, Wanyama, a fit Virgil, Mané etc.

I'd be tempted to give Puel another season but with better resources.

Anyway, this is what I wrote in the clearout thread:

Puel out only if one of the following coaches are willing to come (all are out of contract this summer): Berizzo, Blanc, Marcelino, Roger Schmidt, Marco Silva, Valverde

If none of those want to come than Puel should stay. Since we don't poach from other clubs, as far as I can see these are the only better options (and some of them aren't really that much better).

Roger Schmidt was sacked from his club in March, presumably because mid table and an exit from Champions League was considered under achieving.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11891/10791955/bayer-leverkusen-part-company-with-head-coach-roger-schmidt

Agree we tend not to poach from others, the last recruitment from another club was Adkins. The other trait tends to be avoiding the obvious candidate (such as Pelligrini perhaps) and going for someone under the radar, rather like player recruits as well. Perhaps it fits in with the club(Les) believing their own publicity over the black box and our recruitment.

It would be good if we were to identify our target and go for them, although much depends on the direction the owners (existing or new) wish to go in, if and when sorted.

Edited by Badger

Roger Schmidt was sacked from his club in March, presumably because mid table and an exit from Champions League was considered under achieving.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11891/10791955/bayer-leverkusen-part-company-with-head-coach-roger-schmidt

Agree we tend not to poach from others, the last recruitment from another club was Adkins. The other trait tends to be avoiding the obvious candidate (such as Pelligrini perhaps) and going for someone under the radar, rather like player recruits as well. Perhaps it fits in with the club(Les) believing their own publicity over the black box and our recruitment.

It would be good if we were to identify our target and go for them, although much depends on the direction the owners (existing or new) wish to go in, if and when sorted.

Like I said, assuming we only consider those without a club this summer (and remotely realistic), then those six are the only ones I would consider to be at least equal to Puel. And I am not entirely convinced about Marco Silva, Schmidt, Marcelino and maybe Blanc. Berizzo and Valverde are the only ones I would pull the trigger on Puel without a second thought for.

I can certainly understand why Schmidt was sacked. On paper Leverkusen should be doing better and his style of play is a little too gung-ho for my liking which has lead to some heavy defeats, like with Rudi Garcia at Roma. He's a more extreme Klopp. But they have been doing even worse since he left.

As much as some want Puel to go, who comes in instead a more important question than whether Puel should stay or not. Like with the Adkins sacking, it was a brilliant decision entirely because of who replaced him. If we don't have someone better lined up, than it is pointless to get rid of him and there aren't that many available who are better. I can't see any options beyond the six I mentioned and of those I consider only Berizzo and Valverde to be clearly a cut above.

Starting to think we will sack Puel this summer.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/claude-puels-southampton-future-under-10336293

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/610463/Southampton-Claude-Puel-Nathan-Redmond-Shane-Long-Ryan-Bertrand-Premier-League

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/01/claude-puels-southampton-future-uncertain-club-poised-review/

Feels like a club leak to me, particularly the following parts:

From the Mirror:

"The South Coast club take pride in making progress each season..."

From the Telegraph:

"Southampton have taken great pride in making progress in each season in recent years..."

Almost identical word for word.

And this part in the Telegraph is what I have said in the last couple of posts:

"Whether or not they feel they can get in the right man to replace Puel could ultimately decide whether the 55-year-old stays or goes."

I will add Emery to my shortlist. Overlooked him initially as he is under contract this summer but he might get sacked at PSG.