The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

Bring in Brendan Rodgers then promptly sell all our key players to Liverpool for the lols

I'm not fussed who our next manager is necessarily, I just want the decision to be made within the next fortnight, so we can concentrate on building for next season. Someone exciting would be nice though, much like the way I felt when Koeman was appointed.

Bring in Brendan Rodgers then promptly sell all our key players to Liverpool for the lols

I'm not fussed who our next manager is necessarily, I just want the decision to be made within the next fortnight, so we can concentrate on building for next season. Someone exciting would be nice though, much like the way I felt when Koeman was appointed.

What? How on earth was Koeman an exciting appointment? He was an absolute failure as a coach before joining us.

What? How on earth was Koeman an exciting appointment? He was an absolute failure as a coach before joining us.

Because it was Ronald Koeman ... an absolute f**king legend of a player. Someone who never watched him play, I could excuse not being excited, but I 'matured' watching him, become a proper legend. That holds a lot of sway for people (i.e. footballers) who live, eat and breathe football.

Personally, it's why I'd still love de Boer to manage us, despite the Italy exercise.

This Jack Pitt-Brooke bloke seems all over the place. He runs stories various clubs instead of covering a small number like the journos who have sources inside clubs do, and being contradicted almost immediately by the club's mouthpiece Wilson doesn't do much for his credibility.

:?

1) Pitt-Brooke said Silva prefers us over Watford

2) Wilson says Saints don't have Silva on their list

That is not a contradiction, as both can be true.

Because it was Ronald Koeman ... an absolute f**king legend of a player. Someone who never watched him play, I could excuse not being excited, but I 'matured' watching him, become a proper legend. That holds a lot of sway for people (i.e. footballers) who live, eat and breathe football.

Personally, it's why I'd still love de Boer to manage us, despite the Italy exercise.

Agree De boer would be my pick too, the Dutch style worked wonders for us last time, and I think one of the reasons koeman worked so well was he strong enough to have an impact on who was brought in as transfers, and hopefully de boer would bring more of the same

It holds far more sway over fans than players, any big name halo will quickly wear off if they don't rate him on the training ground just as someone they hadn't heard can easily win them over like Poch did. That's the point, he was just a big name player and because of that fans got excited, as a coach he was nothing, a total Nevillesque joke. And the same goes for De Boer, Bosz is far, far better it is not even close, but De Boer is the big name that will get the fans wet despite being an abysmal coach.

There is no correlation whatsoever between how good someone was as a player and how good they are as a coach.

MLG: "Although Southampton and Porto still have managers of their own, they are in talks with Silva’s representatives about the young Portuguese coach taking over for the 2017-18 seasons and beyond." A bit nonsensical if he isn't on our shortlist isn't it? Unless we fed Wilson false information because we don't it known that we are speaking with other coaches until we actually sack Puel. Don't think it is a good idea to feed your more trusted journos with deliberately false info.

CB Fry: Finished 3rd in the Portuguese 3 horse race that is their league with Benfica but that was nothing compared to the Gary Neville, Tony Adams, Bob Bradley, levels of incompetence at Valencia. He took a club that had Cañizares, Albiol, Marchena, Albelda, Villa, Baraja, Morientes, Banega, Helguera, Mata, Joaquín and David Silva and had finished 4th the season before to the brink of relegation before getting sacked. Also got sacked 6 months into the job at champions AZ after losing almost half their league games. He rehabilitated is reputation to some extent at Feyenoord but no other half decent club would have gone near him when we did.

It holds far more sway over fans than players, any big name halo will quickly wear off if they don't rate him on the training ground just as someone they hadn't heard can easily win them over like Poch did. That's the point, he was just a big name player and because of that fans got excited, as a coach he was nothing, a total Nevillesque joke. And the same goes for De Boer, Bosz is far, far better it is not even close, but De Boer is the big name that will get the fans wet despite being an abysmal coach.

There is no correlation whatsoever between how good someone was as a player and how good they are as a coach.

MLG: "Although Southampton and Porto still have managers of their own, they are in talks with Silva’s representatives about the young Portuguese coach taking over for the 2017-18 seasons and beyond." A bit nonsensical if he isn't on our shortlist isn't it? Unless we fed Wilson false information because we don't it known that we are speaking with other coaches until we actually sack Puel. Don't think it is a good idea to feed your more trusted journos with deliberately false info.

CB Fry: Finished 3rd in the Portuguese 3 horse race that is their league with Benfica but that was nothing compared to the Gary Neville, Tony Adams, Bob Bradley, levels of incompetence at Valencia. He took a club that had Cañizares, Albiol, Marchena, Albelda, Villa, Baraja, Morientes, Banega, Helguera, Mata, Joaquín and David Silva and had finished 4th the season before to the brink of relegation before getting sacked. Also got sacked 6 months into the job at champions AZ after losing almost half their league games. He rehabilitated is reputation to some extent at Feyenoord but no other half decent club would have gone near him when we did.

Except, of course, he quit Feyenoord because he was fully expecting a job at a half-decent club, and he got one.

You can spin what you like but he was a high profile name with experience in multiple leagues and success to his name before he arrived at SMS.

Comparing him to Bob Bradley or Tony Adams is ridiculous.

Well done though.

In a decision where taking into account "the Southampton Way" is omni important, I'm coming around to seeing Garry Monk as the ideal choice. My only concern would be over him likely to appoint James Beattie to assist him. Beattie could have a very positive effect if all goes well. Yet there is much to say it might not do so.

Bosz a far better coach/manager as De Boer? You base that on what? Bosz having a insanely talented Ajax squad and reaching the finals? Or De Boer going to Inter who were a mess when he arrived and who are still a mess?

Its funny how suddenly people are raving about Bosz but they forget that Ajax spend more money on the players the past season then they did in 4 seasons when De Boer was there, who managed the win the title multiple times with very mediocre players and power struggles in the club.

But you are right, its not even close cause De Boer is a far and far better manager as Bosz.

Bosz a far better coach/manager as De Boer? You base that on what? Bosz having a insanely talented Ajax squad and reaching the finals? Or De Boer going to Inter who were a mess when he arrived and who are still a mess?

Its funny how suddenly people are raving about Bosz but they forget that Ajax spend more money on the players the past season then they did in 4 seasons when De Boer was there, who managed the win the title multiple times with very mediocre players and power struggles in the club.

But you are right, its not even close cause De Boer is a far and far better manager as Bosz.

Yeah Id agree with that I remember back in Sept/Oct there wasnt much complimentary things being said about Bosz.

Many won't like this, but surely Brendan Rodgers would be the outstanding candidate should Puel depart. Committed to attacking football, tactically flexible, a big reputation for developing young players and is proven in the EPL. Sure he's a bit of a tit and has said some bizarre things about the club, but I'm sure most would get over that in time. I know he's a boyhood Celtic fan but you'd think the chance to prove himself back in the EPL would be too good to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many won't like this, but surely Brendan Rodgers would be the outstanding candidate should Puel depart. Committed to attacking football, tactically flexible, a big reputation for developing young players and is proven in the EPL. Sure he's a bit of a tit and has said some bizarre things about the club, but I'm sure most would get over that in time. I know he's a boyhood Celtic fan but you'd think the chance to prove himself back in the EPL would be too good to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'd be a good appointment but would have too steep a hill to climb with the fanbase I think. Anything other than a flying start and they'd be at him.

Just heard Fat Sam wants out of Palace.....could he be coming our way???

stranger things have happened, but I'm pretty sure anyone that witnessed some of the woeful and disgraceful hood ball displays by West Ham against us in the championship and premiership wouldn't want him anywhere near SMS.

Listening to Talk****e they think Silva is nailed on for Porto. Apparently Porto have wanted him but Sporting had a contract clause that he couldn't sign for another Portuguese club for two years after he left Porto. Porto sacked their current manager to clear the decks for Silva.

To be fair I'd still take De Boer, despite his 'failure' at Inter, he dominated the eredivisie for the majority of his spell and did get Ajax playing some good football and has the 'big name' many fans will be after

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

*before, not after obviously.

Fits all the criteria:

Nationality: Argentinian

Position as player: Centre Back

Played for national team: Yes

First name Mauricio: Yes

Surname: Italian origin beginning with P and ending with O

Impressed with average La Liga team in blue and white stripes: Yes

Out of contract after the cup final this coming weekend against Barcelona. Apparently it is either him or Berizzo for the Sevilla job, I suggest they get one and we get the other. Sadly he spent 2 years as Benítez assistant at Liverpool and 6 months as a player there so we will probably have no need for David Salas.