The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

Never rated that expression. All chocolate boxes have a detailed description of what you're going to get. And a picture. And ingredients. Suspect they looked at all this if we're getting Pellegrino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even Poundland? In my experience it seems the description list of each shaped, colour wrapped choccy in the box normally gets lost after 2 minutes. :?

Why ?? Was my question too hard for you ??

Look on Wiki His Win Ratio is poor Fact

Can't wait for when we discuss Van Dijk leaving

Not sure why you even bother 'supporting' Saints when all you do is moan, moan, moan!

His season of getting Alaves to 9th in their first season back in La Liga and the Copa Del Rey cup final with the 15th biggest budget in La Liga is poor is it?

I wonder what your reaction to Pochettino joining us was after his previous job ended with him being sacked by Espanyol with a 32.9 win % 'FACT' where Pellegrino has an average over this managerial career of 43.14% using your gospel of Wikipedia.

Never rated that expression. All chocolate boxes have a detailed description of what you're going to get. And a picture. And ingredients. Suspect they looked at all this if we're getting Pellegrino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, but its what the ESN say.

I am sure Les looked at the full description and rejected the cracknells, the nougats and the nut-caramel

Not sure why you even bother 'supporting' Saints when all you do is moan, moan, moan!

His season of getting Alaves to 9th in their first season back in La Liga and the Copa Del Rey cup final with the 15th biggest budget in La Liga is poor is it?

I wonder what your reaction to Pochettino joining us was after his previous job ended with him being sacked by Espanyol with a 32.9 win % 'FACT' where Pellegrino has an average over this managerial career of 43.14% using your gospel of Wikipedia.

So, no response re Van Dijk then

I suppose that because you are such a great Saints Fan, you won't even comment ?

Perish the thought that you utter something negative

So, no response re Van Dijk then

I suppose that because you are such a great Saints Fan, you won't even comment ?

Perish the thought that you utter something negative

There's a whole thread about VVD. This one is about a potential new manager.

Stop trying to bait people

There's a whole thread about VVD. This one is about a potential new manager.

Stop trying to bait people

Nah....he's not trying to bait people. Never has. That would be against the forum rules and the mods would have come down on him like a ton of bricks long before now if he was a wind up merchant. No, it's simply someone exercising a different opinion, innit guv?.... ;)

It's Maurice Pilgrim if you want the anglicised version. Mo Pilgrim to his mates. Good name I reckon.

Google translate tells me that pilgrim is peregrino.

But happy to call him Mo Pilgrim it it suits....

I'm told an announcement is imminent. Les has planned the big unveiling meticulously and I can exclusively reveal that Pellegrino will spring from Manolo's wedding cake at any moment...

attachment.php?attachmentid=2492&d=1498208198

Happy to share whenever I'm IKT.

:D

Having married an Italian bird I can confirm that they like a big wedding. But even her family didn't need a cake that size.

I... he beat Barcelona away.

And lost 0-6 at home to them. We might just as well have kept Puel. Their teams scored the same number of goals last season and both struggled to score any at home but Pellegrino's finished 9th whereas Puel's finished 8th. Puel's overall career record is much better though.

And lost 0-6 at home to them. We might just as well have kept Puel. Their teams scored the same number of goals last season and both struggled to score any at home but Pellegrino's finished 9th whereas Puel's finished 8th. Puel's overall career record is much better though.

Have you even read what has been said about Puel? We couldn't keep him!

He refused to change what his bosses asked him to.

How you can compare the league's baffle me...the squads qualities are miles apart.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's not a fair comparison though, is it. Alves were odds on to go down, they massively over achieved last season.

Puel had to go. He lost the fans and dressing room, there was no way back for him.

I can't say that I'm that excited by the appointment (I don't know enough about him to really make a judgement), but I'm willing to give him a chance.

I was originally worried about the style of play Alaves had last season but after looking deeper I'm fully on board if we get Pellegrino.

Played good football at Valencia and in Argentina.

Just shows that he's a manager who can tactically adapt to the tools he has. I've no doubt we'd play possession-based football under him as that is what our players/club are suited to.

MaPe loses 25% of his games - Puel loses 35%. Puel has managed some much bigger clubs too. Puel was horrendous here so simply had to go.

MaPe is an odd one - has done very little so far to justify a top 8 Premiership club and his win % is nothing to get excited about.

Would seem that Reed likes the kudos of looking outside the (black) box and doesn't seem to like the high profile managers that can take the spot light off Mr "I do everything"

As always ill give MaPe a fair shot at things but do find this appointment (like Puel) very underwhelming. Was flicking through a few facebook posts last night and seems that Alaves fans were nonchalant about his leaving.... appreciate he was only there a year but expected to see some love for him.

That's because you are translating pilgrim to spanish. Like most argentinian names, Pellegrino is italian.

Apologies, I bow to your greater knowledge.

(Why do they speak Spanish, but have Italian names though?)

I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I was unenthusiastic about the appointment of Pochettino. I was very enthusiastic about Koeman and very unenthusiastic about Puel and didn't expect him to last more than a year. I don't want to say I was right about Puel because I warmed to him as a man and thought he deserved another season. I feel Pellegrino would be very much a case of out of the frying pan into the fire but hope that, like Pochettino, he proves me wrong. What concerns me though is that since the departure of Paul Mitchell, the standard of our recruitment both on and off the pitch has not been very good.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I was unenthusiastic about the appointment of Pochettino. I was very enthusiastic about Koeman and very unenthusiastic about Puel and didn't expect him to last more than a year. I don't want to say I was right about Puel because I warmed to him as a man and thought he deserved another season. I feel Pellegrino would be very much a case of out of the frying pan into the fire but hope that, like Pochettino, he proves me wrong. What concerns me though is that since the departure of Paul Mitchell, the standard of our recruitment both on and off the pitch has not been very good.

+1 I am not sure why but I have a good feeling about Pellegrino.

Probably due to the umaxit and articles posted about him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What has win % got to do with anything? MoPo had a poorer win % than Adkins. But I would argue most on here would say MoPo was a better manager. Adkins (who I thought was great for us by the way) benefited from having a relatively expensive squad in a lower league - we were going to win more game than not. Alaves were expected to be relegated last year, they ended up in the Copa del Rey final and comfortably mid-table. The issues relating to the style of football with Puel could have been solved if we had been a little more 'gung-ho' towards the end of the season, but he wasn't willing to change - that is why he had to go. Once we were safe, we should have seen a more attacking style.

What has win % got to do with anything? MoPo had a poorer win % than Adkins. But I would argue most on here would say MoPo was a better manager. Adkins (who I thought was great for us by the way) benefited from having a relatively expensive squad in a lower league - we were going to win more game than not. Alaves were expected to be relegated last year, they ended up in the Copa del Rey final and comfortably mid-table. The issues relating to the style of football with Puel could have been solved if we had been a little more 'gung-ho' towards the end of the season, but he wasn't willing to change - that is why he had to go. Once we were safe, we should have seen a more attacking style.

Win percentage can only be used as some sort of indicator when all of the matches are of the same level. A manager can have 20 games in L1 and win them all and 20 games in the PL and lose them all but he'd still have a win ratio of 50% wouldn't he. Adkins was OK at lower levels but just wasn't a top flight manager. Failed to win either L1 or the Championship with what must be one of the best sides ever seen at those levels. Chock full of what turned out to be international class players.

MaPe loses 25% of his games - Puel loses 35%. Puel has managed some much bigger clubs too. Puel was horrendous here so simply had to go.

MaPe is an odd one - has done very little so far to justify a top 8 Premiership club and his win % is nothing to get excited about.

Would seem that Reed likes the kudos of looking outside the (black) box and doesn't seem to like the high profile managers that can take the spot light off Mr "I do everything"

As always ill give MaPe a fair shot at things but do find this appointment (like Puel) very underwhelming. Was flicking through a few facebook posts last night and seems that Alaves fans were nonchalant about his leaving.... appreciate he was only there a year but expected to see some love for him.

Nothing to do with kudos old sport, there was nobody other than Pelligrino left because Les dithered so much; it was him or Allardyce!

Ok, so a few things I've heard...

FdB and MaPe have both been spoken to, along with a couple of German managers and a British coach (I'm afraid I don't know precisely who that was).

MaPe is currently the firm favourite, unless we get surprising news from one of the Germans (but we don't expect to).

Expect MaPe to be announced. Possibly today but possible next week. Les is impressed with his footballing philosophy but recognises that the fans didn't take to Puel's perceived dogmatism and MaPe has a pragmatic bent, in a similar vein to Koeman but with, perhaps, a more holistic approach to the development of the club.

Also, expect some player comings and goings.

On and on and on and on like broken record... Les must have really stuffed you in some way, your obsession with him is unnatural, do you have attic room with defaced pictures of him adorning the walls

Puel was not horrendous, just not as good as he should have been and certainly better than the majority of managers whose teams were below us in the league

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC