The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

But last season, whilst Alaves finished 9th under Pellegrino, they were the 4th lowest scorers in La Liga with 41 goals (the same as Puel), they had a solid defence only conceding 43 goals (5 less than Puel) and only scored 19 at home last year (compared to Puel's 17 goals at home). Whilst he may have been punching above his weight, Pellegrino only seems a marginal improvement on Puel if we were to sign him and may not have been worth the risk if Pellegrino flopped. IMHO there are better options out there.

But last season, whilst Alaves finished 9th under Pellegrino, they were the 4th lowest scorers in La Liga with 41 goals (the same as Puel), they had a solid defence only conceding 43 goals (5 less than Puel) and only scored 19 at home last year (compared to Puel's 17 goals at home). Whilst he may have been punching above his weight, Pellegrino only seems a marginal improvement on Puel if we were to sign him and may not have been worth the risk if Pellegrino flopped. IMHO there are better options out there.

Would it be fair to compare his tactics and record to Silva's at Hull?

Didn't realise Pellegrino had left Alaves, that news passed me by (ironically happened whilst I was in Spain). Having watched La Liga highlights all season we could do a lot worse than him. Assuming we're not going to chase someone under contract elsewhere (we're far too nice ) he is now top of my favourites list for the job.

In pochettinos last full year at Espanyol they scored 46.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

In the season we signed Poch, he had managed 13 games in La Liga W2 D3 L8. I am not sure that anyone would have been over enthusiastic to sign him based on that. And as you say, the last full season scoring 46 goals, had Espanyol coming in in 14th spot, again hardly a ringing endorsement on the face of things. But someone made a pretty good decision to employ him so maybe we should have a bit of faith in those at the club.

No. Alaves were dull as f**k to watch but he did work a minor miracle in keeping them up and finishing respectably.

He's not known for his expansive football at any of islcubs though

It's not the worst comparison as both have been relative journeymen managers and both tend to play 4-2-3-1 where possible. However, stats and statistics show that Pellegrino isn't even as good or 'exciting' as Silva. Firstly, Silva sticks to the 4-2-3-1 whilst last season Pellegrino used a 5-4-1 (admittedly to good effect) last year a fair amount.

Secondly, for all of those wanting am exciting, free-scoring Saints, Pellegrino isn't your man. His teams have averaged 1.16 goals/game over his career, much lower than Silva's 1.74 goals/game. Admittedly Pellegrino has a better return than Pule last year (with 1.07), but only marginally so.

Thirdly, Pellegrino's win% is much lower than Silva's (43% compared to 55%), and only marginally better than Puel's (by 0.5%). You also have to remember that Pellegrino (Alaves excluded) has managed relatively big teams like Valencia and Independiente.

Finally, to the best of my knowledge, Silva has never been sacked for on-field results (an indicator of his quality?), whilst Pellegrino has.

It's not the worst comparison, but when you look at the numbers, Pellegrino seems to be a bad choice for a club and fans who want a more exciting brand of football IMHO.

You realise he got Watford promoted, yes?

Forgive me for being underwhelmed by the prospect of a successful championship manager. We're a top 8 premier league club. I don't want a lower league manager/coach, a novice like Giggs, someone who's only managed a mid table team in Germany or France or wherever, or someone who's managed 300 clubs and been sacked countless times. Puel wasn't any if those things so I can see why he got the job - we need someone like him but who recognises the need to play a decent brand of footy. No idea who though!!

Has anyone got any good news? This is all rather depressing.

Got to admit that I'm not exactly cockahoop with any of the names being mentioned.

Perhaps saints need to be a bit more ruthless and expand their options by looking at managers already in work.

Could someone who knows more about him than I explain the appeal of Mauricio Pellegrino? Is it just that he qualified with Alavés for the final of the Copa del Rey? His win record with Alavés was 38,3% (which is comparable to our last season, just a little better).

Because other than that it doesn't look fantastic on paper:

2010 - Inter Milan (assistant): sacked

2012 - Valencia: sacked

2013-2015 - Estudiantes: sacked

Other than those Wikipedia statistics I know very little. Why would he be the right choice?

I don't understand why some people would want Pellegrino over De Boer. We need a manager that could attract players Koeman just has with Klassen.

Ok his Inter wasn't great but his Europa campaign was without all his major players at that time.

All managers fail somewhere. Look at that Judas git Redknap and his spell here thats airbrushed out of history.

From To Record

P W D L Win %

Ajax 6 December 2010 11 May 2016 262 158 57 47 60.3

Inter 9 August 2016 1 November 2016 14 5 2 7 35.7

Total 276 163 59 54 59.1

Forgive me for being underwhelmed by the prospect of a successful championship manager. We're a top 8 premier league club. I don't want a lower league manager/coach, a novice like Giggs, someone who's only managed a mid table team in Germany or France or wherever, or someone who's managed 300 clubs and been sacked countless times. Puel wasn't any if those things so I can see why he got the job - we need someone like him but who recognises the need to play a decent brand of footy. No idea who though!!

Well, Pochettino wasn't really managing Real Madrid before he took over Saints...

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Could someone who knows more about him than I explain the appeal of Mauricio Pellegrino? Is it just that he qualified with Alavés for the final of the Copa del Rey? His win record with Alavés was 38,3% (which is comparable to our last season, just a little better).

Because other than that it doesn't look fantastic on paper:

2010 - Inter Milan (assistant): sacked

2012 - Valencia: sacked

2013-2015 - Estudiantes: sacked

Other than those Wikipedia statistics I know very little. Why would he be the right choice?

Let me help you. He is Argentinian, and his name sounds very much like Mauricio Pochiettino. As such, he is my favourite. The fact that his opposition is Ronald de Bore says it all.

Away on a stag do this weekend but just to recap and make sure I have this correct...

According to various media reports, we were actively considering German candidates including Tuchel and Schmidt.

But we never had any serious interest in Tuchel after he ruled himself out of the job. And of course we only had a quick glance at Roger Schmidt, because he has already left for a club in China.

Now there is mysteriously no German candidate involved on a very short short list of FdB and Pellegrino.

FdB we so nearly appointed last year but chickened out because of perceived bias towards Dutch people.

Mauricio Pellegrino is unemployed and sounds a lot like one of our previous managers so naturally warrants an interview.

A mystery candidate is thrown in the hat to excite and from the previous fluff about looking to Germany for an appointment.

Oracle Les always has 5-6 managers he's considering at any one time should the current incumbent leave.

But all those managers happen to be unemployed and therefore showing no current signs of why they might be a good manager at all. Very conveniently, and coincidentally of course, it does mean we won't have to pay any compensation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giggs wants it according to the Echo. Don't want this tosser anywhere near my football club.

I have never understood this one, I just don't get it. Either he has a massive ego and is arrogant beyond compare, or is totally confident in his own ability to manage at the highest level with no previous experience whatsoever.

Either way, I really don't want to take the chance with him.

Away on a stag do this weekend but just to recap and make sure I have this correct...

According to various media reports, we were actively considering German candidates including Tuchel and Schmidt.

But we never had any serious interest in Tuchel after he ruled himself out of the job. And of course we only had a quick glance at Roger Schmidt, because he has already left for a club in China.

Now there is mysteriously no German candidate involved on a very short short list of FdB and Pellegrino.

FdB we so nearly appointed last year but chickened out because of perceived bias towards Dutch people.

Mauricio Pellegrino is unemployed and sounds a lot like one of our previous managers so naturally warrants an interview.

A mystery candidate is thrown in the hat to excite and from the previous fluff about looking to Germany for an appointment.

Oracle Les always has 5-6 managers he's considering at any one time should the current incumbent leave.

But all those managers happen to be unemployed and therefore showing no current signs of why they might be a good manager at all. Very conveniently, and coincidentally of course, it does mean we won't have to pay any compensation!

That just about covers it, have a good weekend!

Confusing isn't it. Still it's a traditional Saints summer. Don't really care myself, we've had about 5 managers in 8 years and we seem to be going along in an alright way. It's the players that make the team anyway. We'll get someone in and depending on whether he plays brilliant,dazzling football or a serial drudge but obtains roughly the same league position, he'll either want away for a "bigger" club or be sacked within 2 seasons.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I don't find Pellegrino at all appealing. If he's appointed it would be off the back off one decent year in Spain where he apparently played 10 men behind the ball with a weak Alavés side. Tony Pulis has had more than a few "decent" years playing a similarly uninspiring style and achieving decently mediocre or sub-mediocre results with under skilled teams. Why not just get him off WBA? (for the hard of sarcasm please note that I am not serious). I can't help thinking that his name is coming up purely because he's not English. I'd take Dyche over him any day of the week. Even FdB sounds better in comparison. At least his career as a player will get some respect out of the squad.

By the way, does anyone know why Pellegrino left Alavés?

If we got Giggs, we'd probably turn into Sunderland MK2 by signing all of Utds cast offs (Gibson, Mcnair, Love, OShea) etc..

lets not go there, at all. ever.

Agree.

After seeing as a pundit lately he is fairly inept. He only talks about Utd players all the time and has little concept of tactics or awareness in a given game.

I think it's time for Howe to step up to the next level. Absolutely no disrespect to Bournemouth who are now established in the top flight and is a decent job for any manager, but I don't think he's ever going to go from there to a top 6 side. He needs the chance to work for a club with a bigger infrastructure, a more European makeup and slightly more pressure if he ever wants to progress.

He plays good football, he's English, he's young, he's done enough in the management game now to command a bit more respect. Alright he's a skate, but apart from that what's not to like? I know his stint at Burnley was average but they were in a mess when he took over, whereas we are very stable. I think he's a good fit for us and we're a good fit for him. He's my first choice.

HOWEver (see what I did there?) I don't think it'll happen. I think a foreign coach is more likely. FDB seems to be the most likely, although the reports of negative football don't fill me with confidence. And I'm struggling at the moment to see what Pellegrino brings to the table that CP didn't have. I've seen people mention AVB a few times and must say I think he'd be an excellent appointment, but compensation/wages are gonna be an issue.

Jokanovic looks a good option too - did brilliantly with average players at Watford and Fulham, playing some great stuff. Might give us a slim chance of getting Seesgnon too!

I have never understood this one, I just don't get it. Either he has a massive ego and is arrogant beyond compare, or is totally confident in his own ability to manage at the highest level with no previous experience whatsoever.

Either way, I really don't want to take the chance with him.

Tbh its probably more to do with a journalist asking him a question , Giggs answers and it becomes a news article to fill column space .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I believe, and desperately hope that we wouldn't touch Giggs with a bargepole. Unproven, totally inexperienced, inept, but no doubt assuming that he'll get a job at a biggish club simply because he at Manure.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I believe, and desperately hope that we wouldn't touch Giggs with a bargepole. Unproven, totally inexperienced, inept, but no doubt assuming that he'll get a job at a biggish club simply because he at Manure.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don't know, I am leaning towards Giggs. After looking at the mentioned candidates none of them impress me. Rather than signing another retread that has failed much more than succeeded, why not take a chance at someone new? At least he still knows what it feels like to win.