The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

What I know for certain is that Vierra has been interviewed and was at Staplewood monday. It may be that others on short list have made a similar visit, but I don't know that for sure...

Was probably the unnamed man on the shortlist so not to interfere with his NYCFC job if he didn't get past the interview

http://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2017/06/20/thanks-no-thanks-vieira-not-interested-southampton-job-happy-nycfc/

What I know for certain is that Vierra has been interviewed and was at Staplewood monday. It may be that others on short list have made a similar visit, but I don't know that for sure...

I assume you mean Vieria? You may well be right, but New York had a game Sunday night.

I'd prefer Pellegrino to Vieira but at least we have a bit of quality being talked of now.
Pellegrino finished 9th in his league and got to a cup final, if we were talking Puel now and saw he finished higher in the stronger English and also got to a cup final. It is madness

I assume you mean Vieria? You may well be right, but New York had a game Sunday night.

New York City last played a game on Saturday 17th June, 1pm ET.

https://www.nycfc.com/schedule

Hoped for Tuchel (Isn't happening, but I do not believe that we weren't interested)

Now want Vieira (He's grown on me, I think we should take the punt)

Expecting Pellegrino

I'm still hoping that there are other names in the frame, one being lined up we don't know much about (someone like Weinzierl, or even Sousa). As much as I will be optimistic about Pellegrino, it doesn't strike me as the perfect appointment. Seems odd to replace a manager for being too defensive with one who has derived success from a defensive set up.

No, he means Vieira :mcinnes: :lol:

There is a potential manager there today and he is being shown around. Dont know if thats part of the interview process or signing. No idea who. Hope that helps.

It interesting isn't it.

AR10 said that the new man would be in and possibly announced today. Yet other ITK posters are saying that we are interviewing another manager today, and interviewed Vieira 2 days ago.

I am inclined to believe Forester and Manji as they are reporting information not currently in the press.

Hoped for Tuchel (Isn't happening, but I do not believe that we weren't interested)

Now want Vieira (He's grown on me, I think we should take the punt)

Expecting Pellegrino

As much as I will be optimistic about Pellegrino, it doesn't strike me as the perfect appointment. Seems odd to replace a manager for being too defensive with one who has derived success from a defensive set up.

The article on Pellegrino's tactics posted earlier (this one: https://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/english-clubs-should-chase-mauricio-pellegrino-hes-the-real-deal ) suggests that Pellegrino's reputation for being predominantly a defensive coach is a misrepresentation of his time at Alavés. It would appear he adjusts his tactics depending on the opposition (which I guess Puel also did to a certain degree).

In the 2015/16 season, Alavés won Spain’s second division to wrap up a return to LaLiga ten years after their last experience of top flight football.The man leading them back to the promised land was José Bordalás, but the brand of football he employed was far from exciting and it wasn’t even all that effective. Under the Spaniard, the Basque side topped the table, but they only scored the eighth most goals in the division – averaging just 1.17 per game – and they only won 12 of their 42 games, with only half of those won by more than one goal. The fact that they only boasted just the fourth best goal difference – of plus 14 – in the division suggested that they’d been slightly fortunate to win that league. The table never lies, but sometimes it bends the truth.Aware that continuing this style of football on into LaLiga would probably lead to a sluggish start and the ultimate sacking of Bordalás anyway, Alavés took the pre-emptive decision to thank the coach for his hard work and to bring in a replacement. Enter Mauricio Pellegrino.

The move has proven to be a stroke of genius and the way Pellegrino has evolved this Alavés team makes the 45-year-old Argentine a strong candidate to win Spain’s coach of the year award – even if Zinedine Zidane will likely still win it because that’s how these things work. It’s not just that he led the team with LaLiga’s 15th ranked budget to a ninth place finish – their joint-fourth-best placing ever – and past the likes of Deportivo La Coruña and Celta Vigo to the cup final, but it’s the way he transformed this team that is the most impressive.

Although they were immediately labelled as defensive after the first few weeks of the season, the reason for those early negative tactics was that they faced trips to play Atlético Madrid and Barcelona at the Vicente Calderón and the Camp Nou in two of the first three weeks of the season. Almost every team plays in such a manner when they visit those to giants of the game, so it was logical for Rafa Benítez’s former assistant to set his side up conservatively. It was also effective, as they drew 1-1 at Atlético and even won 2-1 against Barcelona – admittedly with Lionel Messi, Luis Suárez and Andrés Iniesta only coming on in the final half an hour once the Catalan side began to panic.

Once those tricky fixtures were out the way, Alavés showed that they were a tactically flexible team and they very smoothly switched between formations, something they had rarely been able to do the previous year under Bordalás’ watch. From 5-4-1 to 4-2-3-1 and from 4-4-2 to 5-3-2, Alavés could shapeshift from week to week and even in the middle of games. What made this all the more impressive was the way Pellegrino was able to train his full-backs to play just as well in both of these systems, whether as full-backs or as wing-backs, which led to Femenía and Hernández being two of their players of the season.

Hard graft at their Ibaia training complex went into all of this on-field success and Pellegrino proved to be a very meticulous and forward-thinking coach, one who embraces technology and data and one who spends a lot of time perfecting tactics. He is the kind of trainer who cares about the little details and this translates onto the way his team plays on the pitch.

On reflection, I'd be happy if we go with Pellegrino.

Edited by trousers

I keep seeing this argument time and time again on here. If Puel couldn't motivate / communicate to the players then that makes him a significantly worse coach than Pellegrino and rightly had to go.

Maybe worth checking out the facts first as well. MP got Alaves to 9th and a cup final on the 15th lowest budget in La liga, exactly one season after they were promoted.

:nod: :thumbup:

Puel lost the dressing room, he had to go.

I don't know enough about Pellegrino to make a judgement. It seems he done a pretty incredible job at Alaves, however can be slightly defensive, at times.

Well for the after next manager I'll be hoping for Gabriel Heinze if he does well at Standard Liege. Then again I doubt we'd be top of his list in that case. One of my all time favourite players.

Sauce?

;)

No, he means Vieira :mcinnes: :lol:

It interesting isn't it.

AR10 said that the new man would be in and possibly announced today. Yet other ITK posters are saying that we are interviewing another manager today, and interviewed Vieira 2 days ago.

I am inclined to believe Forester and Manji as they are reporting information not currently in the press.

Art in "itk" shocker!! Somebody finally takes him seriously!!! :lol:

:nod: [emoji106]

Puel lost the dressing room, he had to go.

I don't know enough about Pellegrino to make a judgement. It seems he done a pretty incredible job at Alaves, however can be slightly defensive, at times.

Mustn't confuse "defensive" with "negative"....IMHO Puels tactics tended to be the latter. I have no problems with a team built on a "strong and stable" defence....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Absolute silence from Tuchel and Olaf. No actual quotes from either. Sky and Jeremy informed at identicle times with no source revealed. Owners want to make a big impression. Top 4 wont take a risk on him until he proves himself in the PL. Would not surprise me.

If it wasn't for your ITK credits, I would have dismissed the post. Do you know more then you are saying LeG?

Absolute silence from Tuchel and Olaf. No actual quotes from either. Sky and Jeremy informed at identicle times with no source revealed. Owners want to make a big impression. Top 4 wont take a risk on him until he proves himself in the PL. Would not surprise me.

Assuming that you're right that he'll have to prove himself elsewhere (though winning stuff at Dortmund and getting to the latter stages of both European competitions two years in a row seems like adequate proof already for somewhere like Arsenal) which is the lower-risk next step for him? Keeping a second tier European club like Roma or Inter or whoever pops up in need of a manager over the next 6 months in their place, or taking a no-rank club like Saints into European contention, which is what he'd have to do to stand even a sniff of progressing from us to a top four premier league job (assuming that's what he even wants).

In terms of career planning, we make no sense at all for someone with Tuchel's CV, and that's why he probably gave us a straight no when we asked if he'd be interested in interviewing, as per the story that came out last week.

Assuming that you're right that he'll have to prove himself elsewhere (though winning stuff at Dortmund and getting to the latter stages of both European competitions two years in a row seems like adequate proof already for somewhere like Arsenal) which is the lower-risk next step for him? Keeping a second tier European club like Roma or Inter or whoever pops up in need of a manager over the next 6 months in their place, or taking a no-rank club like Saints into European contention, which is what he'd have to do to stand even a sniff of progressing from us to a top four premier league job (assuming that's what he even wants).

In terms of career planning, we make no sense at all for someone with Tuchel's CV, and that's why he probably gave us a straight no when we asked if he'd be interested in interviewing, as per the story that came out last week.

Unless there were huge mega bucks on the table, which I doubt but who knows what the new owners might be able to offer, even through debt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep seeing this argument time and time again on here. If Puel couldn't motivate / communicate to the players then that makes him a significantly worse coach than Pellegrino and rightly had to go.

Maybe worth checking out the facts first as well. MP got Alaves to 9th and a cup final on the 15th lowest budget in La liga, exactly one season after they were promoted.

Please tell me who could get Long Jrod and our midfield to put the ball in the net. The chances were created but the glaring misses were there for all to see.

If we think Alaves is some kind of great achievement finishing 9th in a league of 3 or 4 teams it is concerning.He got his team to the cup final, did he do so by beating clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool on the way???

Yep he had minimal spend, are we saying that we are now going to do the same. Millwall got to a cupfinal a few years back lets get their manager

Please tell me who could get Long Jrod and our midfield to put the ball in the net. The chances were created but the glaring misses were there for all to see.

If we think Alaves is some kind of great achievement finishing 9th in a league of 3 or 4 teams it is concerning.He got his team to the cup final, did he do so by beating clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool on the way???

Yep he had minimal spend, are we saying that we are now going to do the same. Millwall got to a cupfinal a few years back lets get their manager

Oh Long can put the ball in the net alright, trouble is he has great difficulty staying onside. I expect that could well be because he's a bit thick.

We have Gabi and Austin back now so he won't just have them.

Do you think JRod won't be replaced?

The midfield does needs an overhaul someone like Loftus-Cheek would be ideal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Why anyone would want LVG is beyond me, his team in England played similar football to Puel with better players.

No thanks.

Well I doubt that he's even a candidate so it doesn't really matter what some people want does it. No doubt there are far better paying jobs with clubs more likely to suit Van Gaal if he really wanted another job. Why he probably could have gone back to the Dutch National Team if he'd been that keen.

We have Gabi and Austin back now so he won't just have them.

Do you think JRod won't be replaced?

The midfield does needs an overhaul someone like Loftus-Cheek would be ideal.

yes but had he had those 2 ealrier and fit do you really think we would not have progressed more. Puel wasnt given the tools to do the job

yes but had he had those 2 ealrier and fit do you really think we would not have progressed more. Puel wasnt given the tools to do the job

Puel didn't have the tactics or ability to get the best out of them. Easy to forget Longs goals last season Koeman got the best out of him.

Puel's 4 2 3 30 yards meant we were stuffed at home.

No matter who is new manager he needs better recruitment than last year totally agree. A midfielder who can hit a cow's arse would help.

Puel didn't have the tactics or ability to get the best out of them. Easy to forget Longs goals last season Koeman got the best out of him.

Puel's 4 2 3 30 yards meant we were stuffed at home.

No matter who is new manager he needs better recruitment than last year totally agree. A midfielder who can hit a cow's arse would help.

I dont know about the tactics as everyone looks at the set up differently. I was under the impression we were playing a diamond but then it became something else. all i saw was creating stuff and us missing

It's great isn't it, we come on here every day have the same conversation every day but we get no information at all to fuel our conversation. Let's be honest folks we are a boring bunch of old far.ts with nothing better to do with our time than repeat ourselves endlessly. which is what boring old fa.rts are expected to do!

I dont know about the tactics as everyone looks at the set up differently. I was under the impression we were playing a diamond but then it became something else. all i saw was creating stuff and us missing

and an immobile, invisible keeper at the other end letting them in. We shouldn't undersell Forster's strategy in getting rid of Puel...

and an immobile, invisible keeper at the other end letting them in. We shouldn't undersell Forster's strategy in getting rid of Puel...

Which could be argued was due to puel playing 1 DM rather than 2 DMs that we had been used to under Pochettino and Koeman.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's great isn't it, we come on here every day have the same conversation every day but we get no information at all to fuel our conversation. Let's be honest folks we are a boring bunch of old far.ts with nothing better to do with our time than repeat ourselves endlessly. which is what boring old fa.rts are expected to do!

People need to give Leslie a break IMHO - its only been 31 days since the season ended and there is absolutely no way he could have started the manager search or decisions any sooner.

31 days is not along time and Rome wasn't built in a day. People need to remember that Leslie is in charge of everything and his list of jobs is looooong (not Shane Long)

Leslie's to-do list

:arrow: Sack Puel (took 26 days)

:arrow: Sign players - TBC

:arrow: Sell players - TBC

:arrow: Stop VVD from being tapped up - ongoing

:arrow: Produce the kit launch animation videos - done

:arrow: Hire a new manager - TBC

He probably spent a bit too long on the animation but that's his passion, the manager situ will be sorted sooner or later, no biggy.

People need to relax - he will get his no.1 target he always does

People need to give Leslie a break IMHO - its only been 31 days since the season ended and there is absolutely no way he could have started the manager search or decisions any sooner.

31 days is not along time and Rome wasn't built in a day. People need to remember that Leslie is in charge of everything and his list of jobs is looooong (not Shane Long)

Leslie's to-do list

:arrow: Sack Puel (took 26 days)

:arrow: Sign players - TBC

:arrow: Sell players - TBC

:arrow: Stop VVD from being tapped up - ongoing

:arrow: Produce the kit launch animation videos - done

:arrow: Hire a new manager - TBC

He probably spent a bit too long on the animation but that's his passion, the manager situ will be sorted sooner or later, no biggy.

People need to relax - he will get his no.1 target he always does

What's that I smell in the air? A small part of paradox, mixed with humor and satire and just a twist of banter and contempt?

Why it's Irony I think, or perhaps sarcasm? I'm not sure, to be fair.

The article on Pellegrino's tactics posted earlier (this one: https://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/english-clubs-should-chase-mauricio-pellegrino-hes-the-real-deal ) suggests that Pellegrino's reputation for being predominantly a defensive coach is a misrepresentation of his time at Alavés. It would appear he adjusts his tactics depending on the opposition (which I guess Puel also did to a certain degree).

On reflection, I'd be happy if we go with Pellegrino.

Thanks, that's an interesting and encouraging read!

I was a supporter of Puel for a long time OldNick, but as the season neared its end I was having increasing doubts. In the end, I asked myself whether Les Reed would really sack a manager and admit he had got an appointment wrong when "on paper" we had had a decent enough season. In the end, I came to the conclusion that even performances alone might not have been enough to get Puel the axe, but a level of discontent from the playing staff would surely be disastrous going into next season.

Given that he was sacked, that suggests to me that there were some problems behind the scenes, and if that was the case, clearly it was for the best.

I was a supporter of Puel for a long time OldNick, but as the season neared its end I was having increasing doubts. In the end, I asked myself whether Les Reed would really sack a manager and admit he had got an appointment wrong when "on paper" we had had a decent enough season. In the end, I came to the conclusion that even performances alone might not have been enough to get Puel the axe, but a level of discontent from the playing staff would surely be disastrous going into next season.

Given that he was sacked, that suggests to me that there were some problems behind the scenes, and if that was the case, clearly it was for the best.

This summarizes my thoughts on Puel quite well. I was initially sceptical about the rumours of Puel losing the players but there was just too much info out there to continue dismissing it. Because of this it would have been a mistake to persist with Puel, especially as the club further weakened his position by not providing him with public backing at the end of the season.

I'm warming up to the idea of Pellegrino becoming the new manager. If you believe what's in the papers he seems the most likely man.

What's that I smell in the air? A small part of paradox, mixed with humor and satire and just a twist of banter and contempt?

Why it's Irony I think, or perhaps sarcasm? I'm not sure, to be fair.

No I don't think it's any of those.