No ambition from the club, players or fans!

mattyd

you are right it is grim reading but not for the reason you are stating.

It's one mans view of something (not sure where the stats even come into it). There is no fact involved it's all opinion much the same as most views on here.

Doesn't change my perception or prove anyone right or wrong.... We will all have to wait until next season to see if Puel is the messiah or just clueless won't we?

It's opinion based on stats... :rolleyes:

This season at times has been boring to watch. I find our manager lacking in charisma, passion. Tactically some of the decisions have been bizarre. Quite a few of our players have gone backwards / haven't kicked on. ( Shane Long)

Is it down to the system?

This summer we will have to rebuild again. Potentially we could lose Virgil, Tadic, Soares, Bertrand.

Of course we lack ambition.... As a club we need to put the foot down! And tell the Liverpools to f@@k off. We shouldn't be held to ransom by player demands. If a player throws toys out the pram get them training with the reserves and block any move!

We should be recognising that Virgil is the future of this club..We should do whatever it takes to tie him down! And build a squad around him!

Some of the decisions by Les and Co have been stupid. Not getting in a replacement for Fonte... When we finally do we are not playing him.

To much deadwood average players also like Clasie.

This is exactly what I meant when I kicked the debate off yesterday! Players with long contracts shouldn't be moving on just for the fee. Fonte should have been disciplined and reminded that we won't sell without a replacement, as Les originally said, and moving backwards in a the league should not be deemed as being OK. Yes, it was bound to happen at some point but players and the management should be openly self critical and determined to do better. I get the impression some of our lot just want to bail out.

Yesterday I asked when was the last time we got rid of a player because we recruited better? Anybody know? It must have been Cork. Most teams try to improve the playing staff, not just recruit to fill holes or rely on an untested yet youth players or were unconvincing in lower leagues when on loan.

We could invest more within fair play rules as we make a profit every year. I suggest the fair play rules are not a concern to us at the moment.

Far too many entitled fans who think we're some big club. We're not. We're a middle table, mid-sized football club and nowt more despite what anyone thinks.

Top 10 and a cup final is an excellent season by the vast majority of clubs standards.

Yes some of the football has been poor at times and at others simply outstanding. No different to any other season in that respect.

Part of me wouldn't mind relegation just so all the entitled Premier League fans would just fu_ck off again and leave the supporting to the proper fans.

This is exactly what I meant when I kicked the debate off yesterday! Players with long contracts shouldn't be moving on just for the fee. Fonte should have been disciplined and reminded that we won't sell without a replacement, as Les originally said, and moving backwards in a the league should not be deemed as being OK. Yes, it was bound to happen at some point but players and the management should be openly self critical and determined to do better. I get the impression some of our lot just want to bail out.

Yesterday I asked when was the last time we got rid of a player because we recruited better? Anybody know? It must have been Cork. Most teams try to improve the playing staff, not just recruit to fill holes or rely on an untested yet youth players or were unconvincing in lower leagues when on loan.

We could invest more within fair play rules as we make a profit every year. I suggest the fair play rules are not a concern to us at the moment.

You must be literally the only person who doesn't understand the clubs current operating method with regard to players....

Far too many entitled fans who think we're some big club. We're not. We're a middle table, mid-sized football club and nowt more despite what anyone thinks.

Top 10 and a cup final is an excellent season by the vast majority of clubs standards.

Yes some of the football has been poor at times and at others simply outstanding. No different to any other season in that respect.

Part of me wouldn't mind relegation just so all the entitled Premier League fans would just fu_ck off again and leave the supporting to the proper fans.

There is more to judging the quality of your season than what you expect based on the size of your club. I don't think anyone expects us to be able to maintain a league position like we achieved last season but this season is full of regrets that felt avoidable and I think that is why fans are frustrated. All the missed chances, mistakes and recruitment decisions that haven't 'come off' lead to people thinking we could / should be doing better.

Watching our captain, Jose Fonte, playing for West Ham tonight as they beat Spurs said a lot about Les Reed's lack of ambition for the club. Cashing in at every opportunity on players is more important to him than our team winning games.The money wasted on Caceres would have been more than enough to keep Fonte here, and probably would have been enough to win us the League Cup Final and help us finish higher in the league.

Watching our captain, Jose Fonte, playing for West Ham tonight as they beat Spurs said a lot about Les Reed's lack of ambition for the club. Cashing in at every opportunity on players is more important to him than our team winning games.The money wasted on Caceres would have been more than enough to keep Fonte here, and probably would have been enough to win us the League Cup Final and help us finish higher in the league.

You are right apart from the fact you are wrong. West Ham fans have been laying into Fonte ever since he signed saying how **** he is. One win doesn't change that.

You are right apart from the fact you are wrong. West Ham fans have been laying into Fonte ever since he signed saying how **** he is. One win doesn't change that.

By West ham "fans" do you mean 3 or 4 kids on Twitter?

WHU fans I know genuinely and rightly rate Fonte highly

He was outstanding for them again tonight.

Part of me wouldn't mind you knowing that we "entitled" to our own view fans, on a fans forum went when we were in league 1. Part of me wishes people would understand that reverting to unfounded insinuations about how "proper" a fan is just cheapens their arguments!

Truth is that wanting a team to strive to do better and not selling players mid season with little back up is a sensible view. You don't have to agree with it but you should respect it, or part of me thinks you shouldn't be on a fans forum.

Truth is just accepting mediocrity in a competition, which the league is, may be seen as being complacent. Just an opinion but no less a valid one.

Truth is real fans want success, not just home draws with Hull City!

Nothing says aspiration like a decade of trolling a forum in ever more transparent ways under multiple usernames.

Incorrect. There aren't any trolls on this forum. Our eagle-eyed mods would have swooped into action by now if there were.

not just home draws with Hull City!

Or Sunderland, or Watford, or Bournemouth or losing to West Ham or west Brom ..as well as, I think I am right in saying, that as the table stands, we have only beat one team in the top 11 at home this season.

By West ham "fans" do you mean 3 or 4 kids on Twitter?

WHU fans I know genuinely and rightly rate Fonte highly

He was outstanding for them again tonight.

Another masterpiece right there.

Or Sunderland, or Watford, or Bournemouth or losing to West Ham or west Brom ..as well as, I think I am right in saying, that as the table stands, we have only beat one team in the top 11 at home this season.

Away wins at WHU, Watford & Sunderland. Away draws at (champions) Leicester, Man City & Stoke.

We are still in the top 10 so must be doing something right !

Accentuate the positive and all that :)

Away wins at WHU, Watford & Sunderland. Away draws at (champions) Leicester, Man City & Stoke.

We are still in the top 10 so must be doing something right !

Accentuate the positive and all that :)

It's quite a low total for mid table this year but we could still end up with 50 odd points so we will have to wait and see...funny thing about our away form is that if we compared the same top 11 we got very little against the top 7 ( 2 points is it?) then beat the three directly around us!

It is surely our home form which has seen us drop considerably from previous years points tallys though!

For those saying we need to spend money.... Take a look again at the 2015/16 financials.

Our net spend on players last 4 years is - £45m.

The issue isn't the spending as much as the way it's spent.

I used to make allowances for us as believed our net spend was positive. Gareth Rogers bombshell back in March ended that.

Weve been selling players like

Shaw

Chambers

Lallana

Lovren

Fonte

Pelle

Mane

Wanyama

Schneiderlin

Clyne

And replacing them with

Classie

Austin

Cuco Martina

Long

Pied

Gardos

Rodriguez

Hojbjerg

Redmond

Boufal

Cáceres

And its actually costing us money, big money.

Incorrect. There aren't any trolls on this forum. Our eagle-eyed mods would have swooped into action by now if there were.

Is chalet still around? Can I start calling people cnts again?

For those saying we need to spend money.... Take a look again at the 2015/16 financials.

I used to make allowances for us as believed our net spend was positive. Gareth Rogers bombshell back in March ended that.

Shaw

Chambers

Lallana

Lovren

Fonte

Pelle

Mane

Wanyama

Schneiderlin

Clyne

And replacing them with

Classie

Austin

Cuco Martina

Long

Pied

Gardos

Rodriguez

Hojbjerg

Redmond

Boufal

Cáceres

Not quite correct - the majority of the net spend is accounted for by the summer we bought Wanyama, Lovren and Osvaldo.

The list is meaningless, arbitrarily including replacements in the sale category (Mané, Pelle), putting new signings in the replacement category (Jrod) while leaving other replacements out completely (Bertrand, Cedric, Gabbiadini, Tadix, VVD, Romeu).

For that reason, I'm out little man. This routine plainly needs some work, sub B-side material when you're dreaming of golden discs.

2.1/10

Edited by shurlock

Shaw

Chambers

Lallana

Lovren

Fonte

Pelle

Mane

Wanyama

Schneiderlin

Clyne

And replacing them with

Classie

Austin

Cuco Martina

Long

Pied

Gardos

Rodriguez

Hojbjerg

Redmond

Boufal

Cáceres

So much effort for so little return.

Stick to quoting self-help gurus, that's a lovely little new angle. This is a rehash of previously failed routines.

2/10.

I see the situation now as quite similar now to how it's been in my 40 years supporting regardless of what Tottenham have done (no idea why they are relevant to my expectations...)

I can easily name 10 clubs both then and now with greater financial clout than us, bigger stadiums, bigger fan base, bigger revenue streams, bigger sponsorship deals, etc. I therefore see us being managed pretty well right now to be punching above our expected weight and hitting the top 10 whilst we will all agree during periods in the past we haven't been managed so well and have dropped below my expectations.

Maybe I'm one of those fans you talk of who lacks ambition, maybe I'm just a realist... We could debate the definition of ambition of course, seems yours involves chucking somebody else money at it, the more we spend, the more ambitious we are. I'd argue that it is more ambitious to try and do things a little differently to the rest and we've been pretty successful at that over the last few years....

I agree to.

This season would have been been different if we had not had the injured we have had.

Some just want more now rather than being patient.

Top half finish and a cup final.. During my 40 odd year supporting tenure that can be considered a pretty good season.

Who moved the expectation goalposts?

The goalposts were moved by those younger fans who have only really experienced "success" from the days of L1 upwards.

Reality check people, how much further progress did anyone realistically expect us to make from the past few years? We aren't going to break the top 4 or win the league. Unfortunately, Leicester winning the league last year does nothing to dampen those expectations.

The goalposts were moved by those younger fans who have only really experienced "success" from the days of L1 upwards.

Reality check people, how much further progress did anyone realistically expect us to make from the past few years? We aren't going to break the top 4 or win the league. Unfortunately, Leicester winning the league last year does nothing to dampen those expectations.

I don't think anyone expects that but you carry on putting word in other people's mouths and pretending everything is good.

Yes I remember the 1sr division when it was the top flight. The goal posts have moved but not because of the younger fans but because the club, the fan base, income and sponsorship have changed. 40 years ago, even 5 years ago and today have little do do with our ambition. Like in many people's work life, the "just enough" syndrome catches up and leads to a complacency driven slide.

I noticed Stoke (smaller club) and West Brom (smaller club) have bigger budgets than us.

Would it be nice if we could kick on by avoiding the annual January and summer sales for once and instead kicking out dead wood like other clubs?

Nobody has answered my question yet ion when we last sold to improve.

Yes I remember the 1sr division when it was the top flight. The goal posts have moved but not because of the younger fans but because the club, the fan base, income and sponsorship have changed. 40 years ago, even 5 years ago and today have little do do with our ambition. Like in many people's work life, the "just enough" syndrome catches up and leads to a complacency driven slide.

I noticed Stoke (smaller club) and West Brom (smaller club) have bigger budgets than us.

Would it be nice if we could kick on by avoiding the annual January and summer sales for once and instead kicking out dead wood like other clubs?

Nobody has answered my question yet ion when we last sold to improve.

Complacency driven slide. Jesus wept.

8th, 7th, 6th and then after, what, six seasons of non stop improvement we drop back a bit to mid table in the Premier League and the whining begins.

But hey, keep wishing and hoping and praying and one day we could be just like Stoke City or West Brom.

I wish we were Stoke I wish we were Stoke I wish we were Stoke. I remember thinking that when they finished 9th and then 9th again and right now when they look down on us from 13th it so clear to me that they are a club who clearly don't know the meaning of complacency driven slide. Such drive. Such ambition. Such kicking on and kicking on and kicking on. I wish we were Stoke.

Complacency driven slide. Jesus wept.

8th, 7th, 6th and then after, what, six seasons of non stop improvement we drop back a bit to mid table in the Premier League and the whining begins.

But hey, keep wishing and hoping and praying and one day we could be just like Stoke City or West Brom.

I wish we were Stoke I wish we were Stoke I wish we were Stoke. I remember thinking that when they finished 9th and then 9th again and right now when they look down on us from 13th it so clear to me that they are a club who clearly don't know the meaning of complacency driven slide. I wish we were Stoke.

Pap would have feasted on this, God rest his mboard soul.