Saints V Arsenal build up & match thread

Heisenberg

Will we see Targett and Austin? I'd like to try both Gabbi and Austin together, puts our two best goal scorers on the field. Long is good for stretching the field, etc., but he's not really a scoring threat.

claude on the arsenal game......

claude talking up rotation again as it improved our players this season.......

we achieved a clean sheet against a great opponent at the weekend

we want to show our qualities against Arsenal

it is very important to finish as high as possible

we aimed this season to give more time to young players

we have played good football this season

we were good in the last game and it is important to have good possibilities against arsenal

we must keep possession better next season

we now do not play for relegation or europe

we must try to keep a good attitude and compete

there is a good possibility to keep a good motivation

we have improved this season compared to last year as we have given more young players a chance

the squad is in a better place, many have improved. Redmond and JwP for example

We have to get people closer to Gabbiadini. He was coming short yesterday to try and get involved but it was leaving nothing at all in behind, and usually meant he was surrounded by about 5 defenders.

we were good in the last game and it is important to have good possibilities against arsenal

we have improved this season compared to last year as we have given more young players a chance

.... eh?

That confirms it. The bloke has lost the plot :mcinnes:

Take the whole quote, rather than cherry picking the first part. He's clearly saying that we've improved this year in terms of giving young players a chance, which is true.

Not necessarily. He might be saying that we've improved on last season because we've given young players a chance (which is one way of measuring success but obviously not the only benchmark).

Either way, finding insight and clarity in Puel's pressers is your proverbial needle in a haystack.

Take the whole quote, rather than cherry picking the first part. He's clearly saying that we've improved this year in terms of giving young players a chance, which is true.

Is it? I've excluded cup / European games as it is always likely that you'll see younger players introduced as first team players are generally rested.

Under Koeman

Matt Targett (21) - 20 appearances.

Jake Hesketh (21) - 2 appearances

Harry Reed (who?) - 10 appearances

Under Puel

Sam Mcqueen(22) - 13 appearances this season, done very very well, but in all likelihood, wouldn't have got a look in if it wasn't for an injury to Targett and Bertrand.

Stephens 23 - 14 appearances this season, again done very well, but again, wouldn't have got a look in if it wasn't for Fonte going and VVD injury.

Sims 20 - 7 appearances this season. Looked lively, have to give Puel credit for this one.

Reed - 3 appearances. Fallen off the face of the earth.

In reality, i'd say it's a pretty even record of giving young players a chance, in the PL anyway. The only one you can really credit Puel for taking a gamble on is Sims, the rest were drafted in due to injury and we had no other option.

Is it? I've excluded cup / European games as it is always likely that you'll see younger players introduced as first team players are generally rested.

Under Koeman

Under Puel

Sam Mcqueen(22) - 13 appearances this season, done very very well, but in all likelihood, wouldn't have got a look in if it wasn't for an injury to Targett and Bertrand.

Stephens 23 - 14 appearances this season, again done very well, but again, wouldn't have got a look in if it wasn't for Fonte going and VVD injury.

Sims 20 - 7 appearances this season. Looked lively, have to give Puel credit for this one.

In reality, i'd say it's a pretty even record of giving young players a chance, in the PL anyway. The only one you can really credit Puel for taking a gamble on is Sims, the rest were drafted in due to injury and we had no other option.

Is that under Koeman's entire reign or just last season? How many of those are starts? Hasn't Targett started league games this season? Why isn't JWP included?

Edited by shurlock

Is that under Koeman's entire reign or just last season? How many of those are starts? Hasn't Targett started league games this season?

Entire reign, was more pointing out that if it wasn't for injury/lack of players, it is unlikely that McQueen and Stephens would have been selected.

As I said, credit to Puel for taking a risk on Sims (it's a shame he's only played 7 times), hopefully he pulls a few more like him out the bag next season and they aren't drafted in due to injury or what not as they've all shown they've generally got what it takes.

we achieved a clean sheet against a great opponent at the weekend ....

we want to show our qualities against Arsenal ....

it is very important to finish as high as possible ....

we aimed this season to give more time to young players ...

we have played good football this season ....

we were good in the last game and it is important to have good possibilities against arsenal ....

we must keep possession better next season...

we now do not play for relegation or Europe....

we must try to keep a good attitude and compete ....

there is a good possibility to keep a good motivation ...

we have improved this season compared to last year as we have given more young players a chance -

claude talking up rotation again as it improved our players this season....... no evidence that it "improved" the players, just gave more game time and recovery time

we achieved a clean sheet against a great opponent at the weekend .... one we have beaten before but didn't try to again

we want to show our qualities against Arsenal .... please tell me you mean attacking qualities

it is very important to finish as high as possible .... then stop playing for goalless draws, its 3 points for a win

we aimed this season to give more time to young players ... good, you did that, injuries rather forced your hand

we have played good football this season .... you must have a good memory, Claude

we were good in the last game and it is important to have good possibilities against arsenal .... possibility of winning would be nice

we must keep possession better next season...not a major objective. Leicester won the title with average 30% possession

we now do not play for relegation or Europe.... true. Is that what you wanted?

we must try to keep a good attitude and compete .... agree with that. A shot on target in a game would be nice

there is a good possibility to keep a good motivation ... we are motivated, motivated to win?

we have improved this season compared to last year as we have given more young players a chance - hell no, to the first; we have had to to the second, due to injuries

the squad is in a better place, many have improved. Redmond and JwP for example - have they moved from Ocean Village, most of them?

Edited by the saint in winchester

Setting up to defend got us a real hiding from Liverpool, didn't it? May not have been attractive, but it worked.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Whats your point? It was only poor finishing from Liverpool at st Mary's that got us the point, they utterly hammered us otherwise. Arsenal are far to quick to play that defensive game against, that's my point.

I'd stick with Gabbiadini just now, he needs more support up top and simply pumping 50 yard long balls to him will make him less effective.

5 games without a goal now, possibly 3 games without a shot(?) need to find that formula that was v.effective when he first joined.

Don't understand why we don't play the line up from the EFL Cup Final. It worked a treat, we played some great football and were very unfortunate to lose. Gabbi was on fire because he had support rather than in recent games where Puel thinks he'll somehow shine by being stuck up front on his own. Just don't get Puel's thinking.

There are still loads of tickets available for this game, very unusual for a game against a "big" club to be on completely open general sale, normally they would at least require a purchase history. Quite a few Hampshire based Arsenal fans in the home end for this one i expect as the away tickets sold out to season ticket holders with plenty of loyalty points.

Their fans only paid £16 in the away end thanks to VirginMedia subsidy and Arsenal pay £4 per ticket for all of the away games for their fans, Saints fans in the same stand are paying £42!

Hard game to call, hopefully will be an entertaining end of season match , 3-2 home win my prediction. We were very unlucky to lose at the Emirates back in September, then dominated there in the league cup win, the FA cup result at St Marys was awful with a 3rd choice Saints XI as good as throwing the tie.

My heart hopes for a win at long last against a top team following a storming performance with Gabbi and Long scoring 2-0.

My head will settle for a boring 0-0, and I won't bother to attend the predictable boring fare that is served up these days.

Under Koeman

Under Puel

Should also include Hojbjerg (21) and probably Redmond (23). He didn't say Academy players just young ones. Didn't Harry Lewis get a league start? What ever happened to him seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth like McCarthy.

I would give Long a go behind Gabbi in the middle to give him some scraps to feed off. JWP one side to cover Cedric, Redmond on the other covering Ryan........ Maybe give Sam a run out in front of Ryan and bring Redmond on later in the game.

Boufal and Tadic only really defend when they need to.

Maybe give the other Sam a run out next to Gabbi...? Is he eligible to play for Saints again now?

So it's going to be another 0-0 then

We have got nothing to play for so let's go for it. I was going to renew my season ticket next year but after the Hull game I'm not sure now. Please Puel, convince me you can pick and motivate a team to go out and play football that doesn't bore and frustrate.

We have got nothing to play for so let's go for it. I was going to renew my season ticket next year but after the Hull game I'm not sure now. Please Puel, convince me you can pick and motivate a team to go out and play football that doesn't bore and frustrate.

I've seen a few people say this now, what result would inspire you to renew? I think Arsenal have to come and attack , a draw is no use to them in battle for top 4, so it's up to us whether we try to frustrate them with a defensive line up, or match them. First goal will be crucial, if we take the lead the Wenger out banners will come out.

Does anyone know where Arsenal fan TV will be filming after the game? I might try to get some selfies with them.

I've seen a few people say this now, what result would inspire you to renew? I think Arsenal have to come and attack , a draw is no use to them in battle for top 4, so it's up to us whether we try to frustrate them with a defensive line up, or match them. First goal will be crucial, if we take the lead the Wenger out banners will come out.

Does anyone know where Arsenal fan TV will be filming after the game? I might try to get some selfies with them.

Kets hope they have something to have a good old meltdown to cry over ... would be good viewing.

I don't care about the result. It's all about the performance. If I'm to spend nearly a grand on two tickets for next season I want to be entertained. That's not too much to ask for.

Entire reign, was more pointing out that if it wasn't for injury/lack of players, it is unlikely that McQueen and Stephens would have been selected.

As I said, credit to Puel for taking a risk on Sims (it's a shame he's only played 7 times), hopefully he pulls a few more like him out the bag next season and they aren't drafted in due to injury or what not as they've all shown they've generally got what it takes.

While i also wish we had someone in the u23 who is absolutely ready, we unfortunately have no one. Atleast IMO. But as a ton of up and coming players at other clubs prove, the main way into the spotlight is through injury to senior players. Rashford being a prime example. He'd be an unknown if someone didnt pull out of their europa game at the last season through injury.

Anyway i do have high hopes for the likes of valery the fullback, o'connor a cm, the new former arsenal winger who looks to be exceptional and mainly the young cb who was voted young poty last season whose name escapes me.

While i also wish we had someone in the u23 who is absolutely ready, we unfortunately have no one. Atleast IMO. But as a ton of up and coming players at other clubs prove, the main way into the spotlight is through injury to senior players. Rashford being a prime example. He'd be an unknown if someone didnt pull out of their europa game at the last season through injury.

Anyway i do have high hopes for the likes of valery the fullback, o'connor a cm, the new former arsenal winger who looks to be exceptional and mainly the young cb who was voted young poty last season whose name escapes me.

Alfie Jones

I was going to renew my season ticket next year but after the Hull game I'm not sure now. Please Puel, convince me you can pick and motivate a team to go out and play football that doesn't bore and frustrate.

Maybe it's beginning to worry the club as well as they are sending out almost daily reminders that the deadline is nigh. I hope it is rattling their cage as nothing else seems to. Kreuger's silence at the Awards night 'speaks' volumes. At least Puel acknowledged that he knows that fans are not happy with the way things are.

Maybe it's beginning to worry the club as well as they are sending out almost daily reminders that the deadline is nigh. I hope it is rattling their cage as nothing else seems to. Kreuger's silence at the Awards night 'speaks' volumes. At least Puel acknowledged that he knows that fans are not happy with the way things are.

I wouldn't read too much into this... I assumed it was due to the fact the knew Puel would do a speech so didn't want to send people to sleep with a 2nd and didn't have the time to fit in a Kreuger one as well.

Hopefully we can get everyone bar Gabbiadini behind the ball and not muster an attempt on goal in 90 minutes and then knock one out over our great defensive performance.

It mystifies me that sometimes we do get everyone behind the ball and do advance upfield, and then we can score goals. But our default position is not to stray too far from midfield and thus to starve our striker(s). Gabbi isn't getting the service he needs.

In which case, bring on Cuco. He scored spectacularly from midfield against Arsenal not so many months ago.

The issues that I (and others) have is obviously the lack of entertainment in the League we have generally had a St Mary's this season.

I think after 16 home games, we have managed 17 goals in total.

I will renew again next season- but I'm praying for a bit more excitement

I see it the other way. They normally go on heroic runs of form when it's too late.

Yeah that's how I see it too. They always look good when it's nearly but not quite impossible and leave everyone thinking "if only" and "maybe next year?"

I see it the other way. They normally go on heroic runs of form when it's too late.

Agree - it always seems to get them top 4 or higher... I wonder if it'll happen again this year? Personally, I reckon it will.

--------------------Forster-------------------

Cedric Maya Stephens Bertrand

--------------Hojbjerg-------Romeu

Redmond Boufal Tadic

Gabbiadini

I think we need to play Boufal every game its the only way he is going to get used to the tempo and physicality. Ready for next season

My heart hopes for a win at long last against a top team following a storming performance with Gabbi and Long scoring 2-0.

My head will settle for a boring 0-0, and I won't bother to attend the predictable boring fare that is served up these days.[/QUOTE]

That's my view as well. I can make it tomorrow night, the sun should be shining. A swift pint at the pub on the way in.... it sounds attractive so far .... but I suspect I will get frustrated at the style of play and get stressed out, and pay £42 for that stress. Might as well stay home and watch the Madrids. I feel terrible saying that, but the style of play does not attract me. Claude, change it or move out.

all attacking players are back. Only VvD is out (and obviously a big miss)

arsenal will go for the win and not the best at the back. The last couple of years we have taken the game to arsenal at home and generally come away with points/wins

surely, with the attacking players we have, Austin on the bench etc....we will go for them?

--------------------Forster-------------------

Cedric Maya Stephens Bertrand

--------------Hojbjerg-------Romeu

Redmond Boufal Tadic

Gabbiadini

I think we need to play Boufal every game its the only way he is going to get used to the tempo and physicality. Ready for next season

You obviously didn't see the Hull game. Redmond, Boufal and Tadic does not work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk