Sadio Mane

spyinthesky

Won double Player of the Year awards at Liverpool

Scored 12 goals despite being away at the African Cup competition and suffering recent injury

Described as a 'bargain'

I have to say that I was amongst those who thought we received a decent transfer fee for the player at the time.

With hindsight I reckon this thought was misplaced

He is and was clearly absolute class and for us to sell him for 30m so early in the summer did smell a bit of "gentleman's agreement" or dare I say release clause.

Without him we seem to be down 20+ goals and 20+ points. He's also taken all Shane Long's ability and Tadics assists skills with him

I thought it was good money at that point but in hindsight it was too cheap. Especially when taking into account that players of less quality goes for the same money or even much more in recent years (Sterling, Xhaka, Mustafi, Benteke, Stones).

It was a bargain which pretty much all saints fans said at the time, £38.5m is not that much these days, for someone who can win games on his own.

Quite a lot more (over 28% more) than this seasons PL player of the year.

It was a club record fee, which I was happy with at the time, but transfer fees seem to go up on a weekly basis now making it look less impressive. He was never going to stay anyway so meh move on.

As far as I'm concerned players who want to go are going to go and the club can't do much but get the best fee than can and move on. The important part is re-investing that money back into the right areas of the squad. Something we've generally done well until last summer. Redmond aside none of our new signings seem to have worked out particulary well this season.

I thought it was good money at that point but in hindsight it was too cheap. Especially when taking into account that players of less quality goes for the same money or even much more in recent years (Sterling, Xhaka, Mustafi, Benteke, Stones).

Just because some clubs over pay does not mean all will and that the price can be set because of that.

Within reason you can only charge for what a player is now - not what he could turn into in the future. Obviously there is an element of that with young players like Luke Shaw for example. What I mean is that Mane could eventually be a 50 or 60 million pound player. We shouldn't then beat ourselves up because we didn't charge that.

At the time he'd had a couple of good seasons for us and we quadrupled our money. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but 38 million was a very good price at the time.

This summer will see far inferior players sold for that amount, or more.

I think it was undervalue for a matchwinner, a player who troubled the best defenders rather than being a flat track bully.

Anyone not playing as a striker who has his goals to games ratio is almost priceless. Was clear to any sane fan that he had massive potential and with a little more consistency would be one of the top 5 PL attackers. For that you would usually bw looking at £60m+, which is certainly what Liverpool would want now.

The horrible thing is, like we saw with the financials this year from Gareth Rodgers we are fortunate to see 70% of a transfer fee after previous clubs, player and agents get a cut. So we probably cleared 20m selling one of Europe's best players to a league rival.

When do people start to question what the dippers have on ol Leslie?

That probably applies to pretty much all reported transfer fees tbf

Great player but it seems forgotten that he is still inconsistent as was proven with us and with pool

as he has had some games where he made little impact so based on that the money paid was decent.

To be considered world class he needs to impact like the trio at Barcelona.

He may well prove to be that later but not at the scousers as they will not be good enough

It was a bargain which pretty much all saints fans said at the time, £38.5m is not that much these days, for someone who can win games on his own.

certainly would cost more than 38.5 to replace him even in last years market in fact i don't think we ever replace him he was a gem

Great player but it seems forgotten that he is still inconsistent as was proven with us and with pool

as he has had some games where he made little impact so based on that the money paid was decent.

He may well prove to be that later but not at the scousers as they will not be good enough

He's been inconsistent at Liverpool? More than any other player of that ilk? Really? Double player of the year.

He's the difference between a top four Liverpool and a crappy, easy to defend against Liverpool.

Whilst that makes the fee look cheap in hindsight it wasn't a nailed on certainty that he would do so well there and it's only a bad fee if someone else would have paid more.

Bit of a strawman- you don't need be Messi, Suarez or Neymar to go for more than £30-38.5million.

Apart from Fonte we always sell cheap!

Agree. Lovren given away. Lallana as well. Luke Shaw was deeply embarrassing by the club only accepting £30m for him. We had our pants well and truly pulled down as he should have been a world record (and not just the then world record for a teenager). Chambers - how ridiculous of us to accept £16m.

But then I guess you refer to Clyne and Wanyama - people in their last year of their contract. Much better if we had put our foot down, demanded twice what we got, twice what the market would pay and let them leave for free.

He's been inconsistent at Liverpool? More than any other player of that ilk? Really? Double player of the year.

Yep in some games... but more than any other player nope, never said that.

To get player of the year is good but very few others have been worthy TBF

Said at the time I was enraged at us accepting such a low offer and should of held out for at least 45/50m and remember Carragher spouting off that it was 30m or less as were nearly all the scousers, they seemed to not want to look like they've been ripped off well look at it now it was a great price for them and they can't string a couple of wins together without him.

we've been burned by disgruntled players throwing their toys out of the pram and i suppose a quick sale at an apparently good price was an opportunity to avoid this.

However we could learn some lessons from everton re maximising player sale profits (stones, potentially lukaku).

He was two years into a four year contract so his value would have started falling after the summer when we sold him. He would have ended up going cheaply like Wanyama if we didn't sell him then.

If no-one apart from Liverpool was seriously interested and Mane was determined to move on then the deal is fine. It may be disappointing not to have got more but there isn't an equivalence between that feeling and the deal being necessarily bad.

You can't just say, "there are worse players who cost more", and criticise SFC accordingly because there is more to any deal than the pure footballing ability of the player involved.

I said it before, he is the difference between liverpool this year and liverpool last year and the same applies to saints.

Slightly simplistic in regards to saints. Losing Pelle, Mane and Victor all in one go and failing to replace any of them adequately last summer is the difference between this seasons saints and last. Had we kept any two out of those three this season we wouldn't have struggled as much.

Agree. Lovren given away. Lallana as well. Luke Shaw was deeply embarrassing by the club only accepting £30m for him. We had our pants well and truly pulled down as he should have been a world record (and not just the then world record for a teenager). Chambers - how ridiculous of us to accept £16m.

But then I guess you refer to Clyne and Wanyama - people in their last year of their contract. Much better if we had put our foot down, demanded twice what we got, twice what the market would pay and let them leave for free.

Well said Angleman, CaptainChris' post is probably the biggest lump of bullturd I've read on here. Its one thing for fans to be unhappy with how the team is atm... but the amount of crap the short terms lash out with is unbelievable.

Still a mystery to me why he chose to go to the Scousers when any of the top six would have taken him. Why didn't we start a bidding war?

I have never seen any bidding war amongst the big six for saints players. The big six have already compromised themselves to exploit small clubs.

Exactly! They bid £20m six months earlier, so thanks for backing me up.

They would have got a large development fee had he been out of contract, which we would not for Mané. Wanyama and Clyne left for £12m with a year to go, we'd have been in the same boat with Mané this summer.

£38m was a fair price, deal with it. The £50m plus prices people are talking about now are reserved for world superstars and English wonder kids. Mané was neither, he was a decent player who went missing for half the season. £50m should get you one of the best players in the League, which Mané was not. He may be worth that now but that's not the point.

They would have got a large development fee had he been out of contract, which we would not for Mané. Wanyama and Clyne left for £12m with a year to go, we'd have been in the same boat with Mané this summer.

£38m was a fair price, deal with it. The £50m plus prices people are talking about now are reserved for world superstars and English wonder kids. Mané was neither, he was a decent player who went missing for half the season. £50m should get you one of the best players in the League, which Mané was not. He may be worth that now but that's not the point.

£50m doesn't necessarily get you a world superstar. Perhaps it might have got you a James Beattie, if he was playing today, since you seemed to rate him higher than Mané IIRC :lol:

£50m doesn't necessarily get you a world superstar. Perhaps it might have got you a James Beattie, if he was playing today, since you seemed to rate him higher than Mané IIRC :lol:

You don't. No idea where you got that from.

Who would you say was worse than Mané, had 2 years on his contract and left for more than £38m?

You probably just need to look at some of the other deals past 2 years to see if we got a good deal -

Pogba - 89m

Kevin De Bruyne - 62m

Sterling - 52m

Anthony Martial - 51m

Ángel Di María - 51m

Oscar - 51m

John Stones - 48m

Sane - 43m

Granit Xhaka - 38m

Nicolás Otamendi - 38m

Mkhitaryan - 36m

Shkodran Mustafi - 35m