Ranieri?!!!

St_Tel49

I'm sure Saints are keeping track of plenty of potential future managers. Planning for most eventualities has been one of our key ways of being more competent and efficient than most other clubs.

He said the worst career decision he ever made was accepting the Greece national job and not taking the Southampton job when it was offered to him in 2014.

I thought we'd turned him down and THEN he'd taken the Greece job?

Trouble is with appointing Reineri (for anyone) is that he's got that Leicester season to live up to. Most rational minded football (or even just sports fans) would accept that was a one off, never before, never again achievement however you just know some people would be expecting him to come in and achieve the same with us.

No thanks.

Spoke to a great Leicester fan recently and he said it was the assistance that got the players buzzing not the manager.

Very easy to say that now. It would be unfair and disrespectful to suggest that Leicester won the league in spite of him. How he was treated by staff and players at Leicester is ****ing despicable, in my opinion. Should have been given a knighthood for what he did for them.

What if he brings said assistant in with him?

I doubt Craig Shakespeare would follow as things stand.

Regarding Ranieri

He is not the youngest, his success at Leicester will never be repeated and he has suffered significant failure in his career, Atletico Madrid, Greece and his second season at Leicester spring to mind.

However: As manager of Valencia, Roma, Chelsea, Fiorentina, Juventus and Parma he has win ratios above 40%, nudging 50% on average. Extremely experienced and certainly more of a personality then Puel.

I would give him a go.

Edited by Colinjb

No thanks.

Spoke to a great Leicester fan recently and he said it was the assistance that got the players buzzing not the manager.

This is true and it's no coincidence that their form picked up once he went. The reason they were so sh!t this year was because Ranieri started to try and introduce his style... stay well clear,Les, it'd be an awful appointment.

Ah, yes, fair point. Living proof that I ought to think before posting gibberish on here :)

Why? No one else does ;)

As to Ranieri - I think that it is becoming clear that Leicester's success had a large part to do with the assistants he had, but I take the point of the post above regarding his overall record. Not for me though.

I doubt Craig Shakespeare would follow as things stand.

Regarding Ranieri

He is not the youngest, his success at Leicester will never be repeated and he has suffered significant failure in his career, Atletico Madrid, Greece and his second season at Leicester spring to mind.

However: As manager of Valencia, Roma, Chelsea, Fiorentina, Juventus and Parma he has win ratios above 40%, nudging 50% on average. Extremely experienced and certainly more of a personality then Puel.

I would give him a go.

CS did to CR, what LR did to NC.

:rolleyes:

The phrase 'a perfect storm' is overused a lot but it pretty much was.

Vardy and Mahrez in the best form of their careers

Discovering one of Europe's best central midfielders from nowhere

An astonishing lack of injuries

ALL the traditional top 6 teams having a poor season.

Spurs bottling the title race.

I don't care what a manager has done in the past, only what they can do here and CR will never come close to what happened at Leicester for the rest of his life.

I'm pretty neutral about this certainly not the worst manager we could have but I reckon he'd be coping under un-realistic expectations from our fan base.

What he did at Leicester was a remarkable achievement but there is a sense that it was a bit of a stars aligned moment that he will never achieve again.

I can't see him fitting the supposed long term, youth orientated, training ground coach the club (Les) wants though.

On the other hand I could see him being snapped up by new Chinese owners ( and probably fired six months latter)

Always easier to suggest who we shouldn't have rather than who we should but Ranieri doesn't seem like a Saints style manager. Then again nor did Puel. As someone else said I would rather we went for an up and coming manager, take a bit of a chance like we did with Poch. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

My mates a Leicester fan & his take on Ranieri is this; They had a good end to the season winning game after game to stay up. Ranieri just took over & changed nothing. Ranieri was laid back and less intense than Pearson & they were on a roll. They had signed Kante & Ranieris management style brought the best out of Mahraz. Once the pressure hit, the laid back style was perfect. He deflected pressure from them, stayed calm and allowed the players to play in a relaxed manner. According to my mate they would have started as well under Pearson but would have blown up when the pressure came As Pearson would have cracked and his intensity would have hampered the players. They would not have won the league without Ranieri, he was perfect for that moment in time. Fast forward this season and Ranieris style that won them the league was his downfall. They needed bringing down to earth, they needed the arses kicked, some thought they were billy big balls. Ranieri was completely incapable of managing the situation and started to panic & tinker , this led to a downward spiral that took us to where we are now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure Saints are keeping track of plenty of potential future managers. Planning for most eventualities has been one of our key ways of being more competent and efficient than most other clubs.

Hopefully tongue in cheek? If you really believe this then Les's brainwashing drivel has worked better than even he would have expected.

Hopefully tongue in cheek? If you really believe this then Les's brainwashing drivel has worked better than even he would have expected.

Do you think we don't keep track of potential future managers then? that is quite frankly a bizarre viewpoint, why on earth wouldn't we?:lol:

You keep making inane comments like this and they probably give your ego a great boost making you feel very smart and superior but frankly old sport it comes across as gibberish, so "please stop it".

I was trying to save you from embarrassing yourself through further displays of ignorance but, on reflection, you are quite funny. Please, therefore, do carry on.

The phrase 'a perfect storm' is overused a lot but it pretty much was.

Vardy and Mahrez in the best form of their careers

Discovering one of Europe's best central midfielders from nowhere

An astonishing lack of injuries

ALL the traditional top 6 teams having a poor season.

Spurs bottling the title race.

I don't care what a manager has done in the past, only what they can do here and CR will never come close to what happened at Leicester for the rest of his life.

This, in a nutshell. Bring in Nasty Nige Pearson to sort out our appalling injury record, have Reed bring in quality players to fill some obvious holes, and then I'm looking forward to Puel orchestrating an exciting campaign next season.